• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gearbox Artist trashes Dragon’s Crown art style

Gearbox shouldn't be talking shit about anything. They are a bunch of con artists as far as I am concerned. They fooled everyone with aliens...Sega, gamers and alien fans.

Gearbox didn't say anything. A relatively minor artist at Gearbox made a forum post.

Some people are acting like this is an official press release or something.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Ugh. Why are artists trying to censor other artists?
Why is it that whenever somebody says 'I think the depiction of this is bad', people always equate it with censorship?

I think brostep is cruddy awful music; I don't think it should be banned or that nobody should make it.

FryHole

That's actually something that made its way into a basically finished video game

Given recent releases, I'd be interested to know how Gearbox employees define a basically finished video game.

Monocle

Why is it that whenever somebody says 'I think the depiction of this is bad', people always equate it with censorship?

I think brostep is cruddy awful music; I don't think it should be banned or that nobody should make it.
It's a dumb tactic to portray a negative opinion as an assault on someone's rights.

i'm not sure i would call her post "critic"

more like "fucking lol"
We both know you're aware of what "criticize" means. Let's not play word games.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
why all the big deal over this game? Games has been sexualizing women for like forever, suddenly dragon's crown gets handpicked by all these people, I just don't get it... Is it because it's a japanese title?

Violater

Ok, I've cooled down not that I was very upset to begin with, more so about the big commotion people seem to be making.
I think everyone needs to just chill out and go about their own business.
Kotaku is going to Kotaku no two ways around that, and if a female game designer has a problem with another game then that's all well and good. Bashing another artist to legitimize your own work isn't going to get you far, or maybe it will who knos, best of luck to her.

Video games are just that, games and people wanting it to be considered high art and taken seriously by the mainstream society are just insecure about their hobby/profession.
/rant, carry on.

Hagi

Instead of brining up "lol Gearbox" "insert Tiny Tina, Moxxi, Duke Nukem" people should have a look at her actual work. She is allowed an opinion that goes against some of the choices her employer makes smh.

Not really a fan of the art style for Dragons Crown myself but i wouldn't stoop to insulting the artist like some other people in the industry seem to be doing.

Monocle

No one is assaulting on anyone's rights. This is more of a person trash talking over another person's work. It's not even proper criticism
I was referring to the post that accused Ms. Hamm of trying to censor another artist just by expressing a negative opinion about their work.

Jarmel

Banned
It doesn't matter if it's her work or not. It's work from a company she is or was a part of (she obviously has seen it), that she neglects to address the same way as she did for the other work for a company that she didn't work for.

If you're going to have an issue, at least be fair and equal about that issue.

We don't know if she protested or not about the artstyle in the company. A lot of this stuff gets overriden by the director anyway.

sublimit

Banned
First of all it was directly in response to a post which consisted solely of "Her art's so shit, she should come back in 10 years when she's improved because then her argument will be more valid".

Please spare us your exaggerations and the drama.You made a comment on the quality of her work and i replied.
Saying afterwards that "we shouldn't judge the quality of her artwork" when you yourself said "she's better than anything Kamitani has drawn" is hypocritical to say the least.

Secondly I go on to elaborate on how I feel they're better designed women due to the points that she brought up, not that they're technically superior but you decided to edit that part of the quote out.

That was a separate point that you made and i left it out because 1) to avoid confusion and 2) because it's so subjective that a discussion about it is pointless.

My original point (in the first post you quoted me) was that on a technical level she's an inferior artist compared to someone like Kamitani therefore if she wants to get better she should be more acceptive to styles that she may not like if they are of a higher qualitythan hers.

why all the big deal over this game? Games has been sexualizing women for like forever, suddenly dragon's crown gets handpicked by all these people, I just don't get it... Is it because it's a japanese title?
No, although people love to think that because there is this persecution complex that Japanese games are constantly under attack and must be defended at all costs.

Phatcorns

Give me a break. This is so tired and I can't even believe this is conversation. Queen's Blade. Look it up. The only reason Dragon's Crown is getting any attention is because it looks so good and has a chance to be popular and the haters are coming out of the woodwork.

Are her breasts ridiculous? Yes, but that's the point. Is that Amazon's legs ridiculous? Yes again. It's called fantasy for a reason.

tkscz

Instead of brining up "lol Gearbox" "insert Tiny Tina, Moxxi, Duke Nukem" people should have a look at her actual work.

I wouldn't support my point. I think it isn't cool to talk shit about someone else' art when the people you work for have done equally as bad or worse with their art.

Salaadin

Quite the contrary. An Artist is more prone to criticism of a fellow one, it's a good thing though.

I wish people attacked One Piece as much as they do Dragon's Crown. I hate how the females look in there.

To criticize is one thing but this "holy hell how did that make it into a game! Juvenile delinquent in 5th grade blah blah" nonsense isnt exactly proper criticism. Its pretty juvenile itself.
I do agree that its a good thing for artists to criticize eachother though.

If she simply came out and said "I dont like that art and heres why:", Im not sure we would even have a thread on it.
Ok, we probably would :p

ElRenoRaven

tumblr_mdo7a6ywym1r2r04fo1_r1_250.png

Ahem...

That's how you make a point with few words. Shows you hypocrites if I've ever seen one.

To criticize is one thing but this "holy hell how did that make it into a game! Juvenile delinquent in 5th grade blah blah" nonsense isnt exactly proper criticism. Its pretty juvenile itself.
I do agree that its a good thing for artists to criticize eachother though.

If she simply came out and said "I dont like that art and heres why:", Im not sure we would even have a thread on it.
Ok, we probably would :p

Exactly. If they were actually being critical and not just an ass about it, then it would be fine. However they're acting like a child in how they criticize it.

ssoass

I wonder if most of the people who criticize Dragon Crown's art are even aware of Vanillaware's other games like Odin Sphere and Muramasa that made names for themselves partly because of their art that stood out.

andthenistoppedcaringaboutmechanics.jpg

gfs_81618_2_1.jpg

odinsphere_0000b.jpg

228997-odin-sphere-playstation-2-screenshot-an-audience-with-odin.png

muramasa-the-demon-blade-screenshot-ME0000881827_2.jpg

gfs_81618_2_2.jpg

screen1.jpg

If you go into these games expecting run-of-the-mill art and generic everyday characters, you're doing it wrong.

That's how you make a point with few words. Shows you hypocrites if I've ever seen one.

Exactly. If they wre actually being critical and not just an ass about it, then it would be fine. However they're acting like a child in how they criticize it.

That girl as a very natural body actually. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Exactly. If they wre actually being critical and not just an ass about it, then it would be fine. However they're acting like a child in how they criticize it.
I don't get how this is hypocritical. Because of cleavage?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
No, although people love to think that because there is this persecution complex that Japanese games are constantly under attack and must be defended at all costs.

Well, just in this thread I've seen pictures of Gearbox games sexualizing women, why not the uproar over that as well?

fact is, this is a male-dominated hobby and oversexualizing woman has been around since forever.

Also criticizing on a collegue's work has always struck me as snobbish and obnoxious.

That's rich coming from Gearbox.

Maybe Dragon's Crown is just showing the giant boobs in trailers but will ship without the implants and other content.

That's rich coming from Gearbox.

Maybe Dragon's Crown is just showing the giant boobs in trailers but will ship without the implants and other content.

Given its a sprite based game, whos art doesn't look to have changed since release? Doubtful.

Honestly, shes not even the first female i've seen with such ridiculous breast physics. Litchi from blazblue looks very simular in her walk cycles.

Though honestly, I hate playing as her. Could never get the hang of her fighting style.

GorillaJu

I'm really happy these stories keep popping up because you can guarantee with 100% certainty that sales will only be boosted by this constant publicity.

Well-done, Kotaku. I can only hope this was your intention from the start.

AlucardGV

Banned
Nearly everyone has ridiculous proportions in that game. It's part of its artstyle. It isn't limited to the Sorceress.

and we're back at the beginning.
really, it's useless to keep discussing this.
i'm gonna buy the game and enjoy every characters, i love the design and i'm not sexist!

I don't like to bash someone in the industry for a comment on a forum, but Shaylyn has been very rude to another professional.

Kamitani is an EXCELLENT artist, and we already saw a lot of examples. They wanted to go for a overexageration of the typical D&D cliches for Dragon's Crown, and is certainly a interesting choice (funny is that Borderlands is using a similar approach).

Obviously, anyone can dislike this approach, but no one that knows a little about drawing can compare this to "drawing of a 5 grade kid delinquent", or "creepy blank, featureless samefaces". And even less a professional of the videogame industry.

Shaylyn should apologize, even if she, obviously, can manifest that she personally don't like the approach of the character design, but not attacking the quality of it.

BTW:

So the problem here is the size?
If the women in Dragon's Crown were half naked but with small tits all would have been good?

The problem is the in-human proportions. They are oversexualized to the point of being grotesque. The Wizard/Sorcerer choice of clothes is pretty neutral and boring.

I just googled Female Wizard and check this result.

Her body is incredibly fit and she is wearing an unnecessary showy outfit for her job. However that body is actually normal.

If you take her and give her double D tits fighting to be out, practicaly eliminate the waist, huge ass, monstrous legs etc... you get the sorcerer

dragons-crown-sorceress-art-00.jpg

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Aside from the Kotaku article and the Tropes of Women video, could there be any other reason why the sudden surge of criticism towards games that do this kind of thing.

I feel bad for the developer of the game, he or she was just doing the game he/she envisioned, I don't see why anyone should criticize the game for that.

Better than stealing people's art style Gearbox.

Man, Olly Moss would be pissed if Gearbox stole his style again.

Top Bottom