• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 "Dust to Dust" trailer

bumpkin

Alienshogun said:
The problem is on a regular day I would agree with you, but the fallout they are getting right now is of their own making, and something they need to address.
I must just be from a different school of thought... I'm not annoyed or pissed at all about what people seem to be up in arms over. Sure, I'm a little disappointed that a character I've been looking forward to playing as - Bernie - isn't going to be available day one, but it's not earth shattering for me; not enough that I'm going to spit venom at Rod or Cliffy or any other Epic employee with a Twitter account.

What exactly are people so pissed off about? The fact that not all the maps are going to be free and available on day one? They take time and man-hours to create. It isn't like they can pound one out in a weekend.

JambiBum

Alienshogun said:
The problem is on a regular day I would agree with you, but the fallout they are getting right now is of their own making, and something they need to address.

The fallout comes from leaks. I don't really see how it's their fault. If the game didn't leak early then we wouldn't know about Azura/Rustlung and these skins. I don't really consider that their own making. Rod said that they test DLC maps with the regular game to make sure everything works as intended. Just so happens that the version that leaked had those maps in it.

I understand why people are annoyed with this whole thing. I'm not defending it at all. I just think people are over reacting because everyone just wants the game. Besides the trailer there hasn't been any new media to gush over besides things from leaks. If we all had the game no one would give a shit about this.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
bumpkin said:
I must just be from a different school of thought... I'm not annoyed or pissed at all about what people seem to be up in arms over. Sure, I'm a little disappointed that a character I've been looking forward to playing as - Bernie - isn't going to be available day one, but it's not earth shattering for me; not enough that I'm going to spit venom at Rod or Cliffy or any other Epic employee with a Twitter account.

What exactly are people so pissed off about? The fact that not all the maps are going to be free and available on day one? They take time and man-hours to create. It isn't like they can pound one out in a weekend.

I'm not really bothered either, but it's a pretty big deal. Epic has made decisions that have incrementally pissed off the community. It started with the IO skins being exclusive to the EE, then to the console, then to the controller. Then there was the Golden guns "reward" for VG, many of which were supposed to remain exclusive to the previous ways of attainment. (Beta for retro, owned in GOW 2 for lancer/HB), next it was Adam fenix showing up everywhere, and now it's all this content that was apparently cut/held back and included on disk, but they want to charge you for.

Like I said, for it or against it (any of it) there is substantial reason for large sections of the community both hardcore and casual to be pissed off as a mother fucker.

JambiBum said:
The fallout comes from leaks. I don't really see how it's their fault. If the game didn't leak early then we wouldn't know about Azura/Rustlung and these skins. I don't really consider that their own making. Rod said that they test DLC maps with the regular game to make sure everything works as intended. Just so happens that the version that leaked had those maps in it.

I understand why people are annoyed with this whole thing. I'm not defending it at all. I just think people are over reacting because everyone just wants the game. Besides the trailer there hasn't been any new media to gush over besides things from leaks. If we all had the game no one would give a shit about this.

It wasn't just that, this has been a building shitstorm, read my above post.

-PXG-

JambiBum said:

It's their game though. Whether it was from a leak, press release or booting up the game on release day, people were going to find out. Epic and MS are responsible for how content and pricing are handled for their game

Still, most people fail to look at this through lens of principals. People are looking at it superficially. Yeah, they're just weapons skins, which will be like 50 cents a pop or whatever. But come on, you and I both know that shit should be free, especially if if it's already on the damn disc. At least give me the option to unlock it in-game. And if you're too lazy or don't have the time, then feel free and pay the 50 cents to buy it. But don't tell me, "Hey, if you don't like it, shut up and leave". That's not a good way to do business or encourage people to buy your stuff. You're not really giving people solid choices. You're alienating them and, in my opinion, making it easier for them to say no.

Anyway, this whole situation is like buying a box of different colored cupcakes, and then the seller telling you you have to pay an extra dollar if you want to eat the red one. You already bought the whole box. Why should you pay for a piece of content, when that piece was already part of the whole that you paid for?

JambiBum

-PXG- said:
Goddamnit. Why did you bump that? You got my hopes up, thinking he was streaming early today.

GAH!

In none gears related news, I just made my ex sign a contract for the money she caused me to lose. Feels good man.

JambiBum

Osietra said:
Pardon my ignorance, but does xp work in the same way as the CODs? Or is it just a cosmetic thing.

What do you mean? As in are there levels attached to the xp? If so then yes. You gain xp by doing things in game. Kills, assists, etc. You unlock different skins and characters by doing other things in the game. Reaching certain levels, completing medals, things like that.

-PXG-

JambiBum said:
In none gears related news, I just made my ex sign a contract for the money she caused me to lose. Feels good man.

Hell yeah! Congrats. Now find a new lady. Give her that Jambi love...whatever that is.

Osietra said:
Pardon my ignorance, but does xp work in the same way as the CODs? Or is it just a cosmetic thing.

Fill up dem bars cuz.

JambiBum

-PXG- said:
Hell yeah! Congrats. Now find a new lady. Give her that Jambi love...whatever that is.
You don't even want to know what it is. It will scar you for life so badly that you will never be able to look at Cole Train again.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Damn, I took a glance here and at the Epic forums, and everything blew up.

Poor Rod, taking on all that heat with things that probably had nothing to do with him directly, but good on him for answering the mob, even when some of them are acting like straight-up jackasses.

I understand why people are angry, and it definitely sucks a bit to hear about it, but personally I was only interested in the Golden and Green guns and both are free. Extra paid weapon skins aren't going to kill my experience, so be it. But i get why people are mad.

This does raise a point though - if this pisses you off, I hope that the ones foaming at the mouth aren't the types to buy post-launch DLC within a month from other devs without battling an eye, because believe it or not, just because you don't hear about it before launch like we did with Gears 3, doesn't mean that other devs don't have planned DLC on the side ready and waiting to release later on. I'm positive that this backlash wouldn't be anywhere near as bad if this was stated after launch like most devs do.

iluvgames

Banned
I'm happy just were still getting free stuff there will come a time when you will have to pay for everything even the basic characters you will have to pay for

-PXG-

iluvgames said:
I'm happy just were still getting free stuff there will come a time when you will have to pay for everything even the basic characters you will have to pay for

That's basically already happening...

renitou

Skilotonn said:
I understand why people are angry, and it definitely sucks a bit to hear about it, but personally I was only interested in the Golden and Green guns and both are free. Extra paid weapon skins aren't going to kill my experience, so be it. But i get why people are mad.
Well, so long as you're getting what you want.

;)

Arnie

Advert just came on TV in the UK, looked good. It was the part of the trailer depicting Gears 3 that was shown, after the initial standoff and the sinking of Jacinto. Can't wait, so close now.

So is the nerd meltdown over paid weapon skins, or the fact that the controller includes the LE content?

If it's just the paid skins, I don't get the outrage. We've been raped with micro transactions for a long time now so this isn't surprising anymore. If people hate it, they should have been angry when this shit first started to take shape years ago. The problem is that people bitch and then buy it anyway, so nothing will ever change.

-PXG-

Doctor West said:
So is the nerd meltdown over paid weapon skins, or the fact that the controller includes the LE content?

If it's just the paid skins, I don't get the outrage. We've been raped with micro transactions for a long time now so this isn't surprising anymore. If people hate it, they should have been angry when this shit first started to take shape years ago. The problem is that people bitch and then buy it anyway, so nothing will ever change.

I gots to have my fix, MAN!

-PXG-

JambiBum said:
Now people are asking him if they are going to charge for horde/beast. lollllllllllllll. I love the internet.

You should see people discussing the Lambency achievement. No wonder there is so much misinformation.

JambiBum

-PXG- said:
You should see people discussing the Lambency achievement. No wonder there is so much misinformation.
I'm staying away from the forums. Although I might venture over there to pm Joe Graf a list of boosters. Just found out from Rod's twitter that if you report them to him he will take care of it.

Can you give an example of it though? I wanna see without venturing over there lol.

-PXG-

JambiBum said:
I'm staying away from the forums. Although I might venture over there to pm Joe Graf a list of boosters. Just found out from Rod's twitter that if you report them to him he will take care of it.

Can you give an example of it though? I wanna see without venturing over there lol.

Don't be lazy. Go yourself :p

JambiBum

Doctor West said:
While I love this series, it's community has a lot of trashy people. Is Rod still wading through that cesspool of a thread?
Every game has a bad set of fans. They are always louder than the good fans because they would rather complain than play the game. He isn't in the threads, but he is answering questions on twitter still.

Also, PXG, I hate you for causing me to visit them :(

-PXG-

Doctor West said:
While I love this series, it's community has a lot of trashy people. Is Rod still wading through that cesspool of a thread?

He was replying to people on Twitter, not on the forums.

JambiBum said:
Every game has a bad set of fans. They are always louder than the good fans because they would rather complain than play the game. He isn't in the threads, but he is answering questions on twitter still.

Also, PXG, I hate you for causing me to visit them :(

I've been reading GAF and the Epic forums between various projects all afternoon. Wish I had popcorn and something to drink.

StalkerUKCG said:
Not officially i dont think but the latest TU for rockband was >4MB so the new XDK can compile bigger updates than 4MB potentially limitless
i'm pretty sure the last BLOPS update was 19MB.

JambiBum

-PXG- said:
He was replying to people on Twitter, not on the forums.

I've been reading GAF and the Epic forums between various projects all afternoon. Wish I had popcorn and something to drink.

Do you know Joe Graf's name on the forums? I can't seem to find him.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
JambiBum said:

They said before KOTH boosters are ok, did they change that stance now?

JambiBum

Thanks guys. Reported. Wonder if anything will actually happen.

@AlienShogun, someone mentioned something about boosters in KotH to Rod on twitter and he told them to report it to Joe. Now whether or not anything will be done I don't know but I guess we will see.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
JambiBum said:

Like I said, I doubt it. People complained about it all the time before and the thing they were pissed the most about was the lack of action.

JambiBum said:

@AlienShogun, someone mentioned something about boosters in KotH to Rod on twitter and he told them to report it to Joe. Now whether or not anything will be done I don't know but I guess we will see.

Ahh, should be interesting.

JambiBum

Alienshogun said:
Damn, Rod is going after Bungieware, haha.
I would be too. Dude has been relentless. Rod is really just telling him that he is going to eat crow when it comes to offering things for free. Makes me excited. lol.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
JambiBum said:
I would be too. Dude has been relentless. Rod is really just telling him that he is going to eat crow when it comes to offering things for free. Makes me excited. lol.

Yeah, Rod confirmed free maps (not how many) a week or so ago if memory serves.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
JambiBum said:
Also just confirmed that the plan for next week is a 25 xp week not just a weekend.

Week long? Very nice of them.

PXG, if you lived in flyover country I would invite ya over for some Jamesons since you're dry, but alas you don't. So I'll knock a few back for ya.

Seth Balmore said:
I'm following the exchange between Rod and Bungieware too. Eating crow, written apologies? Delicious drama, lol.

Not sure why he cares, didn't he say earlier he's not getting the game anymore?

Edit: 1 hour till this stream should be live again.

http://www.gunzlive.tv/#!

AlStrong

JambiBum said:
Also just confirmed that the plan for next week is a 25 xp week not just a weekend.

I don't quite understand what they have to gain by prolonging the grind instead of just having 1000x XP.

JambiBum

Alienshogun said:
Week long? Very nice of them.

PXG, if you lived in flyover country I would invite ya over for some Jamesons since you're dry, but alas you don't. So I'll knock a few back for ya.

Edit: 1 hour till this stream should be live again.

http://www.gunzlive.tv/#!

Here is another stream wee But I think it is campaign stuff so I'm not watching. Also the quality doesn't seem to be that great.

JambiBum said:

He's responding to me, and I'm responding to him. How is that relentless? Just because you don't share my principles that doesn't mean you have to mock them.

Alienshogun said:

I'm not but I'm still a fan. Not sure why you care about our discussion to be honest.

Repgnar

There's another stream going on that looks like the campaign. Didn't stick around enough to double check but it definetly did not look like any other game mode. Found it through Rod's twitter since some people alerted him about the stream and gave him the link.

EDIT: Beaten by Jambi, didn't post the link since it is campaign but Jambi has it in his post.

JambiBum

Dmorr07 said:
There's another stream going on that looks like the campaign. Didn't stick around enough to double check but it definetly did not look like any other game mode. Found it through Rod's twitter since some people alerted him about the stream and gave him the link.
It's the one I linked up above and it's beast so I'm watching :D

Top Bottom