• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 Multiplayer Beta Thread: Let's do this

Detox

Put me in the camp that think DBS isn't too bad. If I see enemies with it I just keep my distance and make sure the Gnasher can reach them but they can't hit me. It's only useful in extremely close quarters and although it has a higher chance than the Gnasher for a one shot kill the Gnasher does get its fair share of one shot kills.

I started off with the Retro Lancer because it was a new weapon and it is very useful short and mid range but I prefer the hammerburst as it is just much better at long to mid range. When the firefights get close I prefer the gnasher over any rifle.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Having no lag, and better headshot detection meant I had great fun with the Longshot today, it was glorious.

I got a real headache right now from all that gaming so I had to call it quits - tomorrow's another day...

JambiBum said:
Stars are party leaders. More stars mean more randoms. I think the numbers are what week of the beta it is but I'm not sure

Yet another awesome little addition to the game that I absolutely love - it helps to judge the the other team before and afterwards based on how they play, as well as what to expect...

Played for another ~2 hours, and I can't stress how much better this game is simply because of the netcode. Might be the most satisfying feeling in any shooter to get 3 straight hip fire gibs with the Gnasher, and everything goes EXACTLY as you want it. For the first time ever in Gears online I can say 99% of my kills + deaths were completely my fault. No glitching, no lag, no hit detection that's all over the place, no randomness.

It's in no way perfect though. The Sawed Off just isn't fun to get killed with. Simply getting close shouldn't be enough to get you a guaranteed kill, especially in a game with small corridors like this one. The reticle, and spread area is INSANE. You can roll horizontally past someone leaning on a corner, and without them even adjusting their reticle, they can still gib you with a blind fire shot. That's ridiculous.

Also, Thrashball needs another power weapon after the scoreboard falls to fight through the team that manages to hold the upper section. It becomes a game of "Who can hold this spot better" instead of movement around the map.

Still though, lots of fun to be had.

Tawpgun

Net_Wrecker said:
Played for another ~2 hours, and I can't stress how much better this game is simply because of the netcode. Might be the most satisfying feeling in any shooter to get 3 straight hip fire gibs with the Gnasher, and everything goes EXACTLY as you want it. For the first time ever in Gears online I can say 99% of my kills + deaths were completely my fault. No glitching, no lag, no hit detection that's all over the place, no randomness.

It's in no way perfect though. The Sawed Off just isn't fun to get killed with. Simply getting close shouldn't be enough to get you a guaranteed kill, especially in a game with small corridors like this one. The reticle, and spread area is INSANE. You can roll horizontally past someone leaning on a corner, and without them even adjusting their reticle, they can still gib you with a blind fire shot. That's ridiculous.

Also, Thrashball needs another power weapon after the scoreboard falls to fight through the team that manages to hold the upper section. It becomes a game of "Who can hold this spot better" instead of movement around the map.

Agree with the DBS, but the bolded is very true.

We were down 4 lives no respawns to their 5 respawns left. We won it after getting control of the top. It shouldn't be that powerful. Perhaps, when the scoreboard falls, it should create a ramp up to the mulcher spawn or something. Or just give us a boomshot when it falls off.

BrokenBox

Sorry I didn't check the rest of the thread, but did anyone else have the flame skin for the Lancer unlock early? It popped up and I was all WTF.

snack

BrokenBox said:
Sorry I didn't check the rest of the thread, but did anyone else have the flame skin for the Lancer unlock early? It popped up and I was all WTF.
Play the beta before the 24th, and it is unlocked.

-PXG-

Just got my 200 matches won medal :) Level 31 too.

Also, Jambi, you play too much. You're already level 29 and you got this on Thursday night. Stop being busy and help beast some fools with papa PX.

cresto

Can someone explain to me how to use the effin' retro lancer? I've played a few games where people have totally kicked my ass with it. Esp. on checkout with the tight area over by the power weapon, it's hard for me to escape the spray. I haven't really figured it out yet and i usually spray to wildly to use it properly.

whitehawk

Banned
ergo said:
Can someone explain to me how to use the effin' retro lancer? I've played a few games where people have totally kicked my ass with it. Esp. on checkout with the tight area over by the power weapon, it's hard for me to escape the spray. I haven't really figured it out yet and i usually spray to wildly to use it properly.
Don't worry about the spray, enough bullets will still hit the enemy to do a good amount of damage. Just don't be toooo far away. close to mid range. Just keep on shooting.

JB1981

Net_Wrecker said:

Agreed completely, Thrashball is the worst map of the lot. Old Town is my favorite, by far. Bring it back to rotation soon, please.

cresto

JB1981 said:
Agreed completely, Thrashball is the worst map of the lot. Old Town is my favorite, by far. Bring it back to rotation soon, please.
Its...OK. I think trenches is the worst n thats mostly due to the awkward spawn setup. with thrashball, I think they will notice on the hot maps that the upper portion of that map is too valuable. I do like the idea of another access point as soon as the sign drops. I was using the mulcher and the guy went for the power weapon. i enjoyed squishing him versus using the gun itself.

Maybe if the sign crumbled that power weapon wall and expose a new access point, that would make it more interesting. Defending three areas would be a bitch!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Alright, I tried to be fair with Gnasher and Lancer.

You nubs wanna play cheap. I can play cheaper than you.

DBS Retro it is, MVP all day up in this bitch now.

Teknoman said:
Would a Hammerburst/Retro Lancer combo be smart? I usually start off with Retro/Sawed off if im not trying to unlock stuff.

With everyone relying on Retro and DBS just rock that. It's the fast track to kills.

Also, WTF is up with assholes just double melee downing now?

That shit is fucked up.

Kydd BlaZe

The Sawed Off should really just be a power weapon that spawns on the map, as opposed to being readily available as an alternative to the gnasher. That bad boy is entirely too powerful. Epic can leave it untweaked, however to balance things out they should just turn it into a power weapon.

ergo said:

Burst at range. Medium-to close, full auto it while aiming. Close range, hipfire it full auto.

That's what I use lol. Bitches wanna play close, we'll play close.

JambiBum

Just had an awesome digger shot on thrashball. I was at mulcher spawn and the guy was at the stone cover closest to grenades. I shot the digger through the air and it hit him in the chest. Burrowed into him and popped his head. <3 digger

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Alienshogun said:
Alright, I tried to be fair with Gnasher and Lancer.

You nubs wanna play cheap. I can play cheaper than you.

With everyone relying on Retro and DBS just rock that. It's the fast track to kills.

Also, WTF is up with assholes just double melee downing now?

That shit is fucked up.

Lots of shit is fucked up so far. DBS is ridiculous and double melee downing is something a select few of people did in the previous games, tons did it in Gears 1 with pistols equipped. So sad. :(

Am really liking the game though, just irritating.

JambiBum said:
Just had an awesome digger shot on thrashball. I was at mulcher spawn and the guy was at the stone cover closest to grenades. I shot the digger through the air and it hit him in the chest. Burrowed into him and popped his head. <3 digger

I love Digger spawns so much.

Rush to middle cover
pop smoke
steal Digger
hip fire
automatic 2-3 kills

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Kydd BlaZe said:
The Sawed Off should really just be a power weapon that spawns on the map, as opposed to being readily available as an alternative to the gnasher. That bad boy is entirely too powerful. Epic can leave it untweaked, however to balance things out they should just turn it into a power weapon.

I see no problem with it. If the person misses then they're dead.

also,

@therealcliffyb said:
My twitter feed is filled with people saying that each and every weapon is OP. #Gears3Beta

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Not a Jellyfish said:
The problem is that it is really really hard to miss when the spread is almost the whole screen. haha

well they have to get really close as well.

If you're just running around and somebody shoots from a corner then tough shit. that's the game.

there's plenty of things you can do to give yourself enough room to shoot people charging at you.

Montresor

This might be a silly question. Here's the scenario.

My brother and I live together and use the same 360 and we have different gamertags. My bro pre-ordered Gears 3 and has a beta code and has already redeemed it for play on the 25th of April. Will I be allowed to play the beta and if yes, will we be immune from Cliffy's banhammer?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Montresor said:
This might be a silly question. Here's the scenario.

My brother and I live together and use the same 360 and we have different gamertags. My bro pre-ordered Gears 3 and has a beta code for play on the 25th of April. Will I be allowed to play the beta and if yes, will I be immune from Cliffy's banhammer?

yes and nobody is getting banned.

Veelk

Banned
jdub03 said:
I can understand this point actually. Most people in this forum throw out the word unbalanced when all they really mean is it lessens there enjoyment of the game. Balance is a whole other issue that I feel cannot be determined in a couple days play. It could turn out that in a months time DBS could end up being the weakest weapon in the game(though I doubt it). Strategies could develop that lessen the effectiveness of the weapon. And I don't think a developer should make changes based on a forum posters idea of what fun is. Fun is subjective.

I would suggest a Hardcore playlist for people who want to avoid it. The DBS is specifically made for noobs to be eased into the game, the Halo Assault Rifle for Gears, so why not just make a place for the elite who do not wish to play with it?

Teknoman

Generic said:
I would suggest a Hardcore playlist for people who want to avoid it. The DBS is specifically made for noobs to be eased into the game, the Halo Assault Rifle for Gears, so why not just make a place for the elite who do not wish to play with it?

Well I wouldnt say that... I mean thats just like saying the Railgun is for noobs in Quake 3. It still takes strategy and skill to make good use of the sawed off.

EDIT: DBS = Sawed-off Shotgun right?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Generic said:

lol elite

the "elite" who can't just own everyone with their trusty shotgun so they piss and moan and call everyone a noob.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Holy crap.

That was fun. VERY fun. Like, I wanna play again type fun.

You gotta understand, I don't like Gears Deathmatch. Once I saw how host-advantage worked, I hated playing multiplayer. Then Horde came, and I got sucked in. I STILL play Horde.

But this... wow. I will probably be playing this almost every night for the next week. It's smooth, and the guns feel accurate. I also like how you really have to play as a team. You don't, and you WILL get flanked. Got someone with a grinder holding you down? Better have a good team mate that can get on the side of him and grenade his ass. I'm getting excited about Gears all over again.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Teknoman said:
Well I wouldnt say that... I mean thats just like saying the Railgun is for noobs in Quake 3. It still takes strategy and skill to make good use of the sawed off.

Double-barreled shotty. Its more powerful than the sawed off.

Ramirez

Man, Thrashball is a terrible map. No incentive at all to leave the top, and with me getting matched up against parties of 5 every game it's a pretty miserable experience 9/10 times.

cresto

I think the weapons are well balanced. Everything has positives and negatives. I think people need to learn how to use the guns and play this game differently from the previous gears series. One thing I would like to see adjusted is the kamikaze grenade death. When you down someone who has a grenade out, they can literally detonate it as soon as they are down and the amount of time you have to get away is ridiculously small. I'd like to see this adjusted to the gears 2 set up where you can actually evade this crap. I downed a guy in a CQC situation while using the gnasher and I literally blinked and was in little bits all over the ground.

Veelk

Banned
Teknoman said:

Well, I'm not saying that it's an instant win button. It's just far, far easier to get kills with it than any other gun barring powerweapons, and even then it's much harder to get a headshot with the sniper than to simply sneak up on a player using cover. For this reason, players who desire an environment of more skill take issue with it. Why not just make a place for them? Give them their niche where they can play with all gnashers and the people who want a more casual environment still can play the game. Everyone wins. Seems like a simple solution to me.

mr jones said:

If there is a third shotgun in the game that I am not aware of, please bring it to my attention. As far as I know, the double barrel IS the sawed off. Or rather, it's the sawed off double barrel shotgun.

Teknoman

mr jones said:

ikyDvW.gif

Wow...i've been talking about the wrong weapon all this time.

How does the DBS look in game vs the Sawed?

Ramirez

Teknoman said:
ikyDvW.gif

Wow...i've been talking about the wrong weapon all this time.

How does the DBS look in game vs the Sawed?

lol, it's the same gun...

It's got two barrels and it's sawed off, people have just been using both terms for whatever reason.

Dosia

I think the DBS is going to be too powerful in execution/warzone. I wish they would have included those modes for the beta.

Top Bottom