• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 - 4K Gameplay Debut (Gamescom 2016)

Theorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc41iwdDai0&feature=youtu.be

Correct. This is an older build.

http://news.xbox.com/2016/08/16/gea...vealed/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Starting today on the gamescom show floor, we’re excited to give fans their first opportunity to play Gears of War 4 on Windows 10 PC. Gears of War 4 is powered by a completely new rendering engine, with the Windows 10 version supporting comprehensive video settings, increased texture resolutions, dynamic resolution support up to 4K and more.

In this short gameplay demo through the “Rescue” chapter of Gears of War 4, our heroes JD, Kait and Del are chasing a large unknown enemy through an old COG fort. Along the way, they encounter two fierce Swarm enemies – Drones and Pouncers – for the first time, and have to battle their way through them before it’s too late. You can watch the video above or view it on YouTube.

In addition, we’ve also announced the minimum, recommended and ideal specs for playing Gears of War 4 on Windows 10 PC

GOW4_PC_Specs.jpg

Regginator

3:14 "That... was Messi"

Uhm, that's kind of a slanderous thing to say. Will Barcelona demand an apology for comparing their player with a little monster? Granted, they did look a like.

etta

my hard graphic balls
This seems like a new section of the campaign?
I don't know if I want to spoil more of it...

No audio design? Guns and explosions in a stone church and no echo, reverberations, anything? I guess it's not finished. It must be there in the final game.
Oh and awful, awful dialogue (though this is a given in most video games). Pin sharp IQ though.

Shari

Same as past video from the E3, graphically the game is totally unimpressive for 2016. Very disappointed about this.

Hopefully the gameplay is going to be spot-on action but a real shame this IQ.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Looks so good.

So this is what the future will hold for Scorpio next year. Luckily it looks amazing too on regular XB1.

wapplew

Same as past video from the E3, graphically the game is totally unimpressive for 2016. Very disappointed about this.

Hopefully the gameplay is going to be spot-on action but a real shame this IQ.

What do you expect from a Xbox one game scale to 4K? Not the first time console holding back high end PC.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What do you expect from a Xbox one game scale to 4K? Not the first time console holding back high end PC.
Holding PC back? An entire franchise designed for Xbox is holding the PC back? What a weird thing to say.

Shari

I expect an xbox one game released on 2016 to take full advantage of the hardware, there are better looking games on the console, forza horizon 3 being one that comes out at the same time.

Honestly this doesnt look ok even for a game that targets One. Looks like a cross-gen game.

No, really, I didnt expect uncharted 4 but GeoW games were top notch in terms of IQ last gen. This is not even top of the line for One.

EvB

A big chunk of that 80GB is gonna be 4k FMV ain't it, just like Quantum Break.

I wonder If digital foundry will try and pixel count and measure the frame rate of the FMV in this too :D

rrc1594

I expect an xbox one game released on 2016 to take full advantage of the hardware, there are better looking games on the console, forza horizon 3 being one that comes out at the same time.

Honestly this doesnt look ok even for a game that targets One. Looks like a cross-gen game.

No, really, I didnt expect uncharted 4 but GeoW games were top notch in terms of IQ last gen. This is not even top of the line for One.

nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.png

Shari

Were they feck.

Gears 3 Ran at at 720p with no AA

Still was very good at the time. Jaggies everywhere but the stuff that put on-screen running on a 360 was impressive. This is not, imo.

...noargumentwhatsoever...

Yeah for me it looks like that, a game from early days of the console.

I had the same impression with the e3 footage but I told myself it was probably the birate being totally shit. Now that I've watched this for me it's very lackluster.

oti

Banned
I think it looks good overall but there's a strange thing going on with the graphics, with the characters in particular. Remember how in early-ish iOS days the protagonists would look way more detailed than the surroundings and there was this weird disconnect between them? That's the feeling I'm getting here. Like Dead Space on iOS for instance. Could be totally wrong though.

jiggles

Banned
Imagine having the gall to not only ask for 80GB of space, but also suggest you use your precious solid state storage to accommodate it.

btags

Still was very good at the time. Jaggies everywhere but the stuff that put on-screen running on a 360 was impressive. This is not, imo.

Yeah for me it looks like that, a game from early days of the console.

I had the same impression with the e3 footage but I told myself it was probably the birate being totally shit. Now that I've watched this for me it's very lackluster.

Normally when people talk about image quality they are talking about resolution, aliasing, anisotropic filtering, etc. Stuff that reduces artifacts. So what you are talking about is not IQ, but rather general effects, geometry, textures, and what not.

Shari

Normally when people talk about image quality they are talking about resolution, aliasing, anisotropic filtering, etc. Stuff that reduces artifacts. So what you are talking about is not IQ, but rather general effects, geometry, textures, and what not.

Thank you for this, I didnt know IQ was referring only to image "clarity". Noted.

Indeed I talk about geometry, textures (sigh) and so on. Also the previous videos were kind of "saved" by the fact that "weather" effects were very good, this one just looks very very dull.

R0nn

I'm still not sold on the game. The first trilogy on X360 was amazing (well, at least the first two games which I played myself). Especially the first game, which was really something special when it was released.

I believe I've seen most of the footage for Gears 4 now, but it does nothing for me. It's hard to put a finger on it, but overall the combat (which always was the strongest part of the franchise), just looks dull and same-y. Graphics look decent, but nothing special (except the storms, those look nice). The banter is just cringeworthy, though that was never Gears' strong suit of course. Still, it bothers me here much more for some reason.

TheRed

This game looks so old fashioned to me. I really need to wait for reviews because I get no hype at all from anything I've seen.

cmChimera

Everything lacked impact. When you punched something in the 360 games, it looked and sounded like they got wrecked. Not so much here.

horkrux

That doesn't look as good as it should for such a flagship title imo.

This game looks so old fashioned to me. I really need to wait for reviews because I get no hype at all from anything I've seen.

Same here. It's like the series hasn't moved at all. Uncharted ended on a high note, but this seems to be well past its peak.

Top Bottom