• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 - 4K Gameplay Debut (Gamescom 2016)

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Too much Unchartedish chatter in the gameplay video. Game looks okay, I wonder how much difference HDR would make.

Oh and btw, I absolutely loved the MP beta so I would be getting this day 1, it reminds me of the good old days of Gears 1.

Falchion

Looks like Gears to me. I've only beaten the first so I need to play through the rest on BC before I get this.

BigEmil

I know I shouldn't read YouTube comment section but surprised that many people think this is an Xbox One S gameplay and that it can play this at 4k
Anyway the game look lovely, hopefully runs well on my GTX 970

I think it looks great. I don't think it was a better showcase than the one we got from IGN First last week, but it was still fun to watch.

I could be wrong but this looks like extended b-roll footage from the playable E3 build.

Either way, I liked it and love how they introduced the drone.

I think it looks great. I don't think it was a better showcase than the one we got from IGN First last week, but it was still fun to watch.

I could be wrong but this looks like extended b-roll footage from the playable E3 build.

Either way, I liked it and love how they introduced the drone.

Something about this footage feels off from the most recent stuff, so this being an older build sounds plausible. We'll see. I'm hoping we won't be let down

blakep267

Something about this footage feels off from the most recent stuff, so this being an older build sounds plausible. We'll see. I'm hoping we won't be let down
I'd lean more to it being older. Because as the other guy said, the Deebees gameplay looked good and so did the MP footage

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
The graphics are missing that something which makes the images look coherent. Perhaps it is the lack of shadows, but it feels as if the enemies are not in the same room.

Yeah something is off about the graphics here. I thought the gameplay footage IGN showed last week was amazing, especially the 60fps mp footage running on Xbox.

I expected the PC version to look a million times better but this just looks like the Xbox version.

I'd lean more to it being older. Because as the other guy said, the Deebees gameplay looked good and so did the MP footage

It looks like the build in this video to me - which is a few months old at this point.

https://youtu.be/tJCxVbTfez4

I also saw some people on Twitter saying it looks like it's missing a few effects other showings have had.

OR

It could just be an average looking part of the game. It doesn't look bad but it's not going to blow anyone away.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
It looks like the build in this video to me - which is a few months old at this point.

https://youtu.be/tJCxVbTfez4

I also saw some people on Twitter saying it looks like it's missing a few effects other showings have had.

OR

It could just be an average looking part of the game. It doesn't look bad but it's not going to blow anyone away.

It doesn't look bad, but Gears used to be a showcase of graphics. Uncharted kept that spirit for example. I wasn't hyped for this game, but I've played previous entries for the graphics before.

nin1000

Banned
Sorry to ask this but I just wanted to be clear. Is this going to be a windows store exclusive game? If this is the case I am unsure in how this is going to run in the end.

btags

This looks a bad sitcom of Gears of War. What a cringy dialog all around.
This isn't impressing me :(

Have you played the previous Gears games? I am literally playing through Gears 3 right now and after fighting the lambent bezerker Baird says, "and how was it for you?" Gears has always had its cheesy one liner dialog.

Hesemonni

Banned
No doubt the formula is getting "a little bit" stale. Gotta love all the all too conveniently placed waist high covers.

The thing that caught my eye the most was the vegetation pop-in (video)

Well really, i just to play a game that uses HDR.

PC's don't support HDR due to lack of hardware (specifically, monitors -- the 1070 and 1080 from Nvidia support it on the GPU). Currently only new TV's have HDR support so if you want to play it in HDR you need a new TV and an Xbox One S.

PC's don't support HDR due to lack of hardware (specifically, monitors -- the 1070 and 1080 from Nvidia support it on the GPU). Currently only new TV's have HDR support so if you want to play it in HDR you need a new TV and an Xbox One S.

Check this off, but I am working on the other. (TV)

Found a nice 4k Monitor for around 320 euro so thinking of saving up to get a 1080 and that. Need to experience native 4k for the first time.

Arkanius

Have you played the previous Gears games? I am literally playing through Gears 3 right now and after fighting the lambent bezerker Baird says, "and how was it for you?" Gears has always had its cheesy one liner dialog.

I played all three of them. (Never played Judgement)
I know it had it's share of corny dialogue, but it seems to be getting worse.

I played all three of them. (Never played Judgement)
I know it had it's share of corny dialogue, but it seems to be getting worse.
How recently did you play them?

Cause I'm playing UE right now and it's pretty much the same. In fact, I probably like the banter with old Marcus in the IGN video even more

What controversy?

SsLkoMZ.gif

Go back and read thread about Win 10 ver Quantum Break, Gears of War, Rise of the TR, UWP etc....
The concensous is that, buying from G̶F̶W̶L̶ ̶2̶ Microsoft's effort of a store is not a wise idea.

Dynasty

Oh my god.
Are people seriously considering buying this on the Win10 store after all the controversy that has happened there...?

I guess you are referring to the shitty ports. MS has screwed up with some ports but they have also had some good one Forza Apex and KI. At the end of the day if Gears 4 comes out and it is a shit port people won't buy it, if it turns out to be a good port people will buy it.

watchdog

I agree with those who have said it looks underwhelming. Looks like there's a lot of shadows missing or ambient occlusion is absent. I can't pinpoint it but the lighting seems flat.

As for the gameplay, it looks fine. Doesn't appear to be doing much different than the previous games.

I guess you are referring to the shitty ports. MS has screwed up with some ports but they have also had some good one Forza Apex and KI. At the end of the day if Gears 4 comes out and it is a shit port people won't buy it, if it turns out to be a good port people will buy it.

There is more to it than that, but that is for the UWP thread.
They sent Gears Ultimate out to die on that store, and the same will happen to this.
They never learn.

4K doesnt help if the game itself has underwhelming graphics.

Could look much better.
ikr? Uncharted 4 and Horizon: ZD both look much better, which is doubly disappointing since the former is a lot less linear and the latter is an actual open-world. Its a shame because I remember Gears 3 blowing me away. Sorta think Quantum Break looks better than Gears 4 too come to think of it. pre and post release

Edit: ok its an old build. good news

.la1n

I'm actually happy it looks like they are keeping it pretty safe as far as formula goes. So many developers try to go a little radical when they are handed an older franchise and it ends up not appealing to anyone.

Top Bottom