• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 - 4K Gameplay Debut (Gamescom 2016)

kodecraft

People stating its an old build remind me of that No Man's Sky thread about fans defending it.

I think the game is going to look exactly how it looks now old build included on release. It is what it is. Can't sacrifice that performance and I'm ok with that.

I just hope they stay true to their word about bringing back the horror elements from the original Gears.

LordOfChaos

1) Looks awesome!
2) The totally not Locusts coming out of the totally not Emergence holes. Oh, and there's some totally not Wretches too.

So will the Scorpian be able to do this?

I can not wait for the disappointment everyone has at these stop gap consoles. First you all expected a 1080p 60FPS STANDARD for every game at the start of this game...

Now its a 4K standard for every game at the start of this stop gap gen... Temper the expectations guys... it'll make you feel better down the road.

I can not wait for the disappointment everyone has at these stop gap consoles. First you all expected a 1080p 60FPS STANDARD for every game at the start of this game...

Now its a 4K standard for every game at the start of this stop gap gen... Temper the expectations guys... it'll make you feel better down the road.

Oh don't be a spoilsport. Let them dream for a little while longer.

The biggest game I've seen so far.

Yet will do nothing but rot on that store.
It will never have a decent player install base to keep it alive.

LordOfChaos

Don't forget the 7th gen even promised 1080p, the PS3 pushed it at the start at least. End of the generation, games sunk to UNDER 720p just to be able to run at frame rates that often faltered from 30fps.

I don't think even the Scorpio will hit 4K native consistently on AAA games through its life, like shit, even a GTX 1080 isn't fully comfortable there. They're going to have to use checkerboard rendering and things like that, like the PS4 Neo internal docs suggested.

Yeah, there is something *really* off with this video, because it looks flat as fuck, which is extremely odd, because last week's DeeBees gameplay was absolutely gorgeous. Heck, even the multiplayer looked more vibrant.

Don't forget the 7th gen even promised 1080p, the PS3 pushed it at the start at least. End of the generation, games sunk to UNDER 720p just to be able to run at frame rates that often faltered from 30fps.

That false Ridge Racer 7 hope :D
1080p @60fps (most of the time) Namco worked some magic there.

etta

my hard graphic balls
So then Microsoft haven't really damaged the Xbox brand as a console by releasing their titles on PC, have they?
Huh.
Huh.

*Microsoft announces Xbox Play Anywhere
*"Xbox consoles are dead now, who the fuck will buy a shitty box that plays games at medium settings when they can buy those games on PC?! PC + PS4 4 lyfe best combo"
*Fast forward a few months later*
*"Nobody will buy from that Store, that game will have no population."

jediyoshi

I really hate what they do with the combat dialogue during gameplay sounding like it's always coming from the center. Guessing they just want to make it ultra clear, but it takes away from their placement in the world if it's barely taking into account where they're located relative to the player.

So then Microsoft haven't really damaged the Xbox brand as a console by releasing their titles on PC, have they?
Huh.
Huh.

*Microsoft announces Xbox Play Anywhere
*"Xbox consoles are dead now, who the fuck will buy a shitty box that plays games at medium settings when they can buy those games on PC?! PC + PS4 4 lyfe best combo"
*Fast forward a few months later*
*"Nobody will buy from that Store, that game will have no population."

Wow who pissed in your cornflakes?
Never asked for the Windows 10 store never wanted it either. No one did.
Never said that the bone is dead either.
I agree with you.
PC releases on that store makes the bone look attractive in comparison.
Oh and nobody does buy from that abomination of a store, so whats your point?

Huh.
Huh.

tumblr_inline_n1n5k2HeUs1rnjk1a.gif
980x.jpg

Glassboy

Looks sharp but those textures are just so flat looking. Still looking forward to it and the polish to come over the next couple months

etta

my hard graphic balls
I agree with you.

[IM]https://38.media.tumblr.com/fa8367d8951bed652df30df4f760e766/tumblr_inline_n1n5k2HeUs1rnjk1a.gif[/MG] [IG]https://assets.rbl.ms/2565698/980x.jpg[/IG]

Lmao I was just using your point to make mine. I would've worded it differently if I was challenging you over a contradiction that you may have made. I supposed I should've mentioned that though, I can see why it was confusing.
My bad.

giphy.gif

I'm interested to see how this game reviews, this gen has been harsh on games that become stale.

This definitely looks like Gears but doesn't seem as special as the ones that have come before it...

I agree with you.

I bought games on it and had fun playing those games. I think that means I asked for it.

Lmao I was just using your point to make mine. I would've worded it differently if I was challenging you over a contradiction that you may have made. I supposed I should've mentioned that though, I can see why it was confusing.
My bad.

giphy.gif
:D

Vba6HeFNw4.gif

Lol. Sorry my brain couldn't detect the sarcasm.
Now I feel like a $60, 80gig UWP exclusive game.

Outrun

You need to relax with the windows store talk... Feel free to let it all out in the other thread.

I am puzzled why the Dev decided to show an older build in 4k, instead of a newer one..

I like what I see regardless..

wapplew

You need to relax with the windows store talk... Feel free to let it all out in the other thread.

I am puzzled why the Dev decided to show an older build in 4k, instead of a newer one..

I like what I see regardless..

Try not to steal the thunder from Xbox one version.

Deadbeat

Banned
Looks very uninspired
Graphically I was expecting a lot more. Gameplay wise it looks to be more of the same, but I dont know which game the campaign will follow. Gears 1 had the best campaign so if they follow that style it would be great. The bits and pieces I have seen really havent given me the confidence of it being more like Gears 1.

Yeah you are right, but I am just continually amazed and dumbfounded that after all the shit with UWP people still are willing to turn a blind eye and support it.

*new Gears of War 4 thread*

"BUT WINDOWS STORE SUCKS EVERYONE MUST KNOW THIS"

If it actually sank into peoples skulls, they wouldn't need constant warnings and reminders.

krang

People stating its an old build remind me of that No Man's Sky thread about fans defending it.

I think the game is going to look exactly how it looks now old build included on release. It is what it is. Can't sacrifice that performance and I'm ok with that.

I remember people saying that about the beta.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Yeah you are right, but I am just continually amazed and dumbfounded that after all the shit with UWP people still are willing to turn a blind eye and support it.

If it actually sank into peoples skulls, they wouldn't need constant warnings and reminders.
What? You said it yourself the game will sell like shit. Who are these people that will support it and need to be told to not?

What? You said it yourself the game will sell like shit. Who are these people that will support it and need to be told to not?

The people acting all excited about this (and other Win10 exclusive threads) game "Day 1" etc... It seems like they have forgotten, or are not clued in to it yet?
Hey if they want to buy it, that's cool and all, but as long as they know the repercussions as it has all been laid out before in threads like ROTTR, Gears Ultimate, Quantum Break (look how that one turned out) that it is almost humorous to see people willing to support it.
It seems like a tremendous waste of money and HDD space on a game that will be unpopulated and cannot be modded in any way etc... If they have an AMAZING specced PC and want to pour $60+ away on a single player experience then cool, just don't be pissed when it all goes sour.
But please take a look at how Gears Ultimate has done/is doing and watch history repeat itself.

Some people don't care about that stuff. They'll just buy a game cause it interests them. Nothing wrong with that

The people acting all excited about this (and other Win10 exclusive threads) game "Day 1" etc... It seems like they have forgotten, or are not clued in to it yet?
Hey if they want to buy it, that's cool and all, but as long as they know the repercussions as it has all been laid out before in threads like ROTTR, Gears Ultimate, Quantum Break (look how that one turned out) that it is almost humorous to see people willing to support it.
It seems like a tremendous waste of money and HDD space on a game that we be unpopulated and cannot be modded in any way etc... If they have an AMAZING specced PC and want to pour $60+ away on a single player experience then cool.
Just look at how Gears Ultimate has done/is doing and watch history repeat itself.

I mean...if I had a PC powerful enough to do 4k with a high frame rate, $60 is chump change

etta

my hard graphic balls
It seems like a tremendous waste of money and HDD space on a game that we be unpopulated and cannot be modded in any way etc... If they have an AMAZING specced PC and want to pour $60+ away on a single player experience then cool.
Just look at how Gears Ultimate has done/is doing and watch history repeat itself.
You will never ever get 100% of the population to do one thing..., there is always the margin that doesn't agree with you.
As far as you should be concerned, the people have rejected the Windows Store for AAA games so far.

You will never ever get 100% of the population to do something..., there is always the margin that don't agree with you.
As far as you should be concerned, the majority of people have rejected the Windows Store for AAA games so far.

I'm not wanting 100% to do something, I just thought people on a site like GAF would be more (universally) cautious.
To see excitement for anything UWP related is always a shocker.

Do you believe there will be a turning point at some stage?

etta

my hard graphic balls
I'm not wanting 100% to do something, I just thought people on a site like GAF would be more cautious.
Just surprising to see excitement for UWP is all.

Do you believe there will be a turning point at some stage?
Those excited people are still a few among many, that's how sales have been poor. You just don't have everyone who won't buy UWP come in and say how they won't buy UWP, there's only a few that love to voice how they won't give in to UWP. In general people don't talk constantly about things that don't interest them unless they are asked because it's inefficient and there's better things to spend time on.

If they keep improving it and don't abandon it, yea, UWP will gain ground. If developers can make the work for one game and sell it on two platforms, they will take advantage of it. If Microsoft leverages Xbox gaming on Windows in regions where Xbox gaming on console is weak properly and they treat gamers with respect, then they've got a nice hand of cards they can work with.

nomis

Best explanation/fan excuse I have for the underwhelming graphics is just that they had to turn down the graphics settings to somewhere around Medium in order for an unfinished build of a UWP game to run remotely steady in 4K. Since the point of this video was a "4K debut", they probably prioritized that over maxing it out.

laxu

I haven't played anything but Gears 1 back in the day, the horrible PC port no less. This looks like the gameplay hasn't improved one bit. Still has those infuriatingly ineffective weapons and the most basic cover shooter stuff.

Rogas

Banned
Gears of War badly needs better hit reaction from enemies, it's still using the same stumble/wobble per 10 bullets from 2006.

Really odd post mate.

We've had videos come out within the last week that look much better than this footage.

A developer has already confirmed its an old build.

I do think the marketing for this game has been really poor though.

The original teaser from E3 2015 isn't in the game, we've played a beta that was actually an alpha and a week after showing off some impressive footage an old build is dragged out to Gamescom.

I suppose my point is, no one is trying to defend this game. But I think before people dog-pile the latest footage they should know the facts.

People kept saying the MP wasn't going look any better than the beta and they couldn't have been more wrong. Keep the faith.

I think that's the basic idea with the PC versions. It's an Xbox UWP game running on Windows. Don't expect more graphics etc until the Scorpio arrives and raises the bar.

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
People at Gamescom are actually playing what we brought to SDCC on Xbox One and for the first time in PC in 4K. It's incredibly awesome looking.

We also took that to the NVIDIA event last week where they showed off their new 1060/70/80 notebook cards and played it on a 1080 in 4K.

There's about 25+ different video options to tweak and we will go into a deeper dive later on all of those in the near future.

People at Gamescom are actually playing what we brought to SDCC on Xbox One and for the first time in PC in 4K. It's incredibly awesome looking.

We also took that to the NVIDIA event last week where they showed off their new 1060/70/80 notebook cards and played it on a 1080 in 4K.

There's about 25+ different video options to tweak and we will go into a deeper dive later on all of those in the near future.

Hi PezRadar.
May I ask if any of you in the Coalition, looking at the Windows 10 store and the low sales there, are you at all concerned that there will be such a low attach rate on PC?
Is there any way you can force Microsoft to release on other storefronts too (such as Steam) as Remedy have done with Quantum Break to allow your game to be enjoyed by a much larger audience?
Also I would love to know the peak player rate of PC Gears Ultimate as of this week.
Would you be kind enough to post the stats.

Top Bottom