• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 Limited Edition Console Leaked

watdaeff4

The price is too much for it to sell anything worthwhile.

You can have LE edition and still make it sell big (make it casual price-friendly), see Destiny and Arkham bundles from Sony. Or maybe don't do custom design and/or don't include season pass (Titanfall bundle, Unity bundle).

This bundle has no chance selling remotely close to the bundles above, and that's a big wasted opportunity.

Used game is actually argument in my favor, it means people don't keep games installed in their HDD.

4 free games per month is a good point but:
1) They're usually small games (in size).
2) They're not the game you keep around for ever (Indie + old BC games).
3) I'm pulling this from my ass, but I think many casual don't even bother to download these games, they just get their fix from annual games and big hyped games.
-------------------------------

It's $150 more. Many people don't care about the extra storage, so XB1S is effectively $299 for them.

Thanks for clarifying.

In regards to your point I agree that it won't sell tons (like the Destiny and Arkham examples you mentioned) I agree. So that obviously wasn't MS strategy when they did this. This is more in line with the Halo 5 console last year. And while Sony fanboys mock it, it must of made enough profit to do this or otherwise they would change their strategy very likely.

To compare this price to the lowest price S is still disingenuous as the 2TB does matter for those this was designed for and I would hope you realize that despite your agenda. The ones that want the lowest entry price will pick that and the more hardcore gamer (and more hardcore Gears) gamer will pick this LE one. They are choices being presented by MS. It's not like they are doing away with the cheaper SKUs they are giving more options for different types of gamers. What's so terrible about that?

I don't know why you keep ignoring The central point this wasn't made for the gamer you keep talking about, but for the gamer that likes Gears and more hardcore than what you mention and thus the 2TB will be very beneficial

But carry on........

EDIT: removed my GwG commentary as it has absolutely zero relevance in this

Welfare

Your price argument doesn't make sense since the Destiny bundle and the Batman bundle sold for $449 each, with the Destiny bundle selling 300k in September 2014 (was basically the main SKU in that month) and the Batman bundle sold 121k in June 2015. The Halo 5 bundle was $499 and sold 93k in October 2015.

The market for limited expensive consoles is different to the market that would purchase the system for the lowest cost possible. This bundle actually has a lot more value compared to the 3 bundles mentioned above with 2TB and $99 version of Gears 4 for $449.

Banned
That's a nice shade of red. I'll wait for the black one though. Or an Xbox Green. I love that green.

El_Chino

Your price argument doesn't make sense since the Destiny bundle and the Batman bundle sold for $449 each, with the Destiny bundle selling 300k in September 2014 (was basically the main SKU in that month) and the Batman bundle sold 121k in June 2015. The Halo 5 bundle was $499 and sold 93k in October 2015.

The market for limited expensive consoles is different to the market that would purchase the system for the lowest cost possible. This bundle actually has a lot more value compared to the 3 bundles mentioned above with 2TB and $99 version of Gears 4 for $449.

Chobel

Thanks for clarifying.

In regards to your point I agree that it won't sell tons (like the Destiny and Arkham examples you mentioned) I agree. So that obviously wasn't MS strategy when they did this. This is more in line with the Halo 5 console last year. And while Sony fanboys mock it, it must of made enough profit to do this or otherwise they would change their strategy very likely.

To compare this price to the lowest price S is still disingenuous as the 2TB does matter for those this was designed for and I would hope you realize that despite your agenda. The ones that want the lowest entry price will pick that and the more hardcore gamer (and more hardcore Gears) gamer will pick this LE one. They are choices being presented by MS.

But carry on........

Oh and in regards to GwG since you don't actually own an XB you probably don't realize that the GwG this year have been much more than indie and Old BC games.

"Sony fanboys", "your agenda", you're funny, I don' even own a Playstation system and I critisise Sony decisions as much as MS' (maybe not as much, Sony does fewer poor decisions). So maybe you should stick to attacking my arguments instead of this these ad-hominem attacks.

Let's see your arguments:

Except it didn't really work, Sony beat them handily last year and this year (The Divsion 1TB bundle).

To compare this price to the lowest price S is still disingenuous as the 2TB does matter for those this was designed for and I would hope you realize that despite your agenda. The ones that want the lowest entry price will pick that and the more hardcore gamer (and more hardcore Gears) gamer will pick this LE one. They are choices being presented by MS.

When discussing sales? Yes comparing it to cheapest (more like to the popular SKU) makes more sense. I'm not discussing its value here, I don't think I even commented on that. I'm talking about maximizing XB1 sales, they could have done two LE bundle one cheap 500GB and one 2TB for so called "hardcore" guys.

Oh and in regards to GwG since you don't actually own an XB you probably don't realize that the GwG this year have been much more than indie and Old BC games.
XB1:
Code:
Killer Instinct Season 1 Ultra Edition
Zheros
Hand of Fate
Styx: Master of Shadows
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments
Lords of the Fallen
The Wolf Among Us
Sunset Overdrive
Defense Grid 2
Costume Quest 2
Goat Simulator
The Crew
The Banner Saga 2
Tumblestone

360:

Code:
DiRT Showdown
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Sacred Citadel
Gears of War 2
Supreme Commander 2
Borderlands
Dead Space
Saints Row IV
Grid 2
Peggle
Super Meat Boy
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2
Tron: Evolution
Nothing against the other games but I don't see anything beside KI and The crew that you need to keep around for a long time (continued updates + competitive MP). Again, this is from casuals point of view.

---------------------------------

PS4 was $400 at the time.
"The market for limited expensive consoles is different to the market that would purchase the system for the lowest cost possible", Destiny bundle says other wise. And they can offer non custom design LE bundle for maximizing sales even more.

watdaeff4

"Sony fanboys", "your agenda", you're funny, I don' even own a Playstation system

Snip

The Sony fanboy comment was in general not you specifically.

And yes you have some agenda here it's pretty obvious. Since you are picking and choosing points it seems to come across that way. You keep dodging the point that this isn't for the type of gamers you keep depicting.

EDIT: I'm also saying this as from what I've read of your posts you seem pretty intelligent so the idea of different products for different types of gamers isn't beyond your grasp. You just come across as avoiding this part of the discussion.

As for the others again we are looking at this from two different wavelengths. You are all about how this won't sell more than PS4. But I'm saying that wasn't their intent with this particular console, it's not for the masses.

Chobel

The Sony fanboy comment was in general not you specifically.

And yes you have some agenda here it's pretty obvious. Since you are picking and choosing points it seems to come across that way

As for the others again we are looking at this from two different wavelengths. You are all about how this won't sell more than PS4. But saying that wasn't their intent with this particular console, it's not for the masses.

Again with "agenda" talk? If you're not gonna argue with me in a good faith, I may as well stop replying to you because you're not gonna listen to anything I say.

Feel free to report me to mods if you think I'm shitposting.

watdaeff4

Again with "agenda" talk? If you're not gonna argue with me in a good faith, I may as well stop replying to you because you're not gonna listen to anything I say.

Feel free to report me to mods if you think I'm shitposting.

See my EDIT.

Having an agenda isnt the same as shitposting at all. Most here have some sort of agenda in their discussions. Doesn't mean it's terrible. I'm just curious why you are refusing to discuss the concept this was designed for the more hardcore type and not the general gamer you keep using for your examples.

Also why you refuse to discuss that MS didn't make this to "outsell" PS4 that month

Welfare

PS4 was $400 at the time.
"The market for limited expensive consoles is different to the market that would purchase the system for the lowest cost possible", Destiny bundle says other wise. And they can offer non custom design LE bundle for maximizing sales even more.

The only PS4 SKU was the 500GB. The limited bundles were $50 more expensive to that, just like this 2TB limited bundle is $50 more expensive than the regular 2TB.

And even then, the Halo 5 LE bundle was $499. The cheapest XB1 SKU was $349. The Halo 5 bundle still sold 91k in 2 weeks, and that was "$150 more".

Chobel

See my EDIT.

Having an agenda isnt the same as shitposting at all. Most here have some sort of agenda in their discussions. Doesn't mean it's terrible. I'm just curious why you are refusing to discuss the concept this was designed for the more hardcore type and not the general gamer you keep using for your examples.

Also why you refuse to discuss that MS didn't make this to "outsell" PS4 that month

Agenda has a really negative connotation, pretty much meaning I'm not here to discuss in a good faith. So yeah, it's terrible when someone has an agenda and it's borderline shitposting, so you can understand why I don't like to be accused of doing so. Just because I believe strongly in one opinion, doesn't mean I have an agenda.

And I'm not refusing to discuss the concept "this was designed for the more hardcore", I mean no shit, my whole argument is MS did only that and didn't take this opportunity to try and maximize XB1 sales. I'm not against the idea of expensive Gears SKU, I'm against making Gears SKU really expensive. They can fix that with:

a) Only one SKU, but way cheaper one (This one option you really hate you're arguing against)
b) Making multiple SKUs with one of them being priced very close to most popular SKU (500GB) (This satisfy both of us)

TL;DR: I'm not avoiding it, more like it's irrelevant to my point.

-------------------
The only PS4 SKU was the 500GB. The limited bundles were $50 more expensive to that, just like this 2TB limited bundle is $50 more expensive than the regular 2TB.

And how many people will look at it that way? I bet no so many, most casuals will see it as $150 more expensive.
inb4 "you always wrong in your bets".
EDIT: I remembered, Titanfall bundle sold much much better even though it was priced the same, meaning the price of the cheapest SKU matters.

And even then, the Halo 5 LE bundle was $499. The cheapest XB1 SKU was $349. The Halo 5 bundle still sold 91k in 2 weeks, and that was "$150 more".

91K is low, they could have sold shit a lot more if Halo 5 SKU was $349/$399.

watdaeff4

snip

TL;DR: I'm not avoiding it, more like it's irrelevant to my point.

To start with we have different views over the use of the term agenda and I'll leave it at that. I want to clarify I don't think you are shit posting.

Now for your other points I had the same questions when the Halo 5 bundle came out last year. It did not make any sense at all to me at the time. My guess is that what ever their strategy was it must've worked satisfactorily enough to do it again with this Gears bundle. They may have discovered that this is their best way to maximize profit as to be frank there's no way that they're ever going to outsell Sony this generation.

And just like what they did with Halo 5 probably about this time next summer is when will see a cheaper bundle that includes gears of war is for for the people who don't have to buy it day one and want to lower entry price.

They can't outsells Sony so what they're doing is staggered releases in order to maximize the profits off their two biggest franchises possible.

etta

my hard graphic balls
And how many people will look at it that way? I bet no so many, most casuals will see it as $150 more expensive.

Maybe they only produced 100K of these?

Tonky

You can get a current Xbox One + $50 Gift Card + Halo 5 + Rainbow Six Siege + Extra Controller + Free Laptop + Student Loan Assistance + Free Trip to Vegas all for around $279 currently.

I'm really not seeing the justification for a $449 price tag.

watdaeff4

You can get a current Xbox One + $50 Gift Card + Halo 5 + Rainbow Six Siege + Extra Controller + Free Laptop + Student Loan Assistance + Free Trip to Vegas all for around $279 currently.

I'm really not seeing the justification for a $449 price tag.

I mean why don't you throw in a free annuity too in this? Amirite

Chobel

To start with we have different views over the use of the term agenda and I'll leave it at that. I want to clarify I don't think you are shit posting.

Now for your other points I had the same questions when the Halo 5 bundle came out last year. It did not make any sense at all to me at the time. My guess is that what ever their strategy was it must've worked satisfactorily enough to do it again with this Gears bundle. They may have discovered that this is their best way to maximize profit as to be frank there's no way that they're ever going to outsell Sony this generation.

And just like what they did with Halo 5 probably about this time next summer is when will see a cheaper bundle that includes gears of war is for for the people who don't have to buy it day one and want to lower entry price.

They can't outsells Sony so what they're doing is staggered releases in order to maximize the profits off their two biggest franchises possible

Then MS clearly has weird way to show they care about profits in hardware. This year alone XB1 deals were absolutely crazy whether it's free games, gift cards, temporarily price cuts, real official price cuts... You name it.

EDIT; oh and when did I say I really hated a cheaper SKU. For someone acting offended over this discussion that's an odd statement and commentary

I mean, you're the one arguing against me because I like a cheaper SKU version. But hey if the word "hate" is strong, then my bad, I'm sorry.
Edit: Oh it's the "really" part? Alright, I guess that sounded confrontational, apologies about it.

watdaeff4

Then MS clearly has weird way to show they care about profits in hardware. This year alone XB1 deals were absolutely crazy whether it's free games, gift cards, temporarily price cuts, real official price cuts... You name it.

Price cuts always happen.....so for those they did what every console mft has ever done? And that's weird to you? Um, okay.........don't know what your point is here but to pile on a negative connotation.

There have been some good deals and frankly there are crazy deals now......but the ones now make sense as the S is coming out.

Maybe they are also trying to do a balancing act? Need to maximize profit off the hardcore Gears fanbase to help subsidize these wacky price cuts?

Welfare

EDIT: I remembered, Titanfall bundle sold much much better even though it was priced the same, meaning the price of the cheapest SKU matters.

The casuals don't buy these things if they are limited. They always sell less compared to the normal SKU's because they are meant to be a premium item for a premium price. Microsoft knows Gears of War 4 will sell consoles at $299 and they know there is market for premium consoles for a much higher price. They are still selling consoles, just some of them are being sold for a higher cost.

Who would choose the $499 XB1 when there is a $499 Titanfall bundle? It was a replacement meant to be a "PLEASE BUY THIS" bundle. How does that mean the cheapest SKU matters? It was literally the better SKU.

91k isn't low for a $499 limited bundle. That 91k was 30% of all XB1's sold in October. How is that not good for a limited bundle that cost's $150 more than the cheapest option?

Also, that didn't stop a consumer from buying a $349 XB1 with Halo 5. Why would MS give away Halo 5 at launch to new consumers? They want to make money and they did when consumers bought a $349 bundle along with Halo 5 and even more with the $499 Halo 5 bundle.

Besides the desperate Titanfall bundle, game bundles at launch are always more expensive than the standard SKU. This has happened for years, and MS has always had very expensive console bundles.

It has fake scratches?

It wouldn't be the first time.

xv1NP1h.jpg

MS loves fake damage.

Chobel

Price cuts always happen.....so for those they did what every console mft has ever done? And that's weird to you? Um, okay.........don't know what your point is here but to pile on a negative connotation.

My point? Many times MS didn't care about profiting in hardware, they just cared about moving more units. Just do the same in Gears case.

There have been some good deals and frankly there are crazy deals now......but the ones now make sense as the S is coming out.

So you think these kind of deals (which involve losing on hardware) will stop once XB1S hits? I can almost guarantee you this fall and next year there will be even more crazier deals (countering PS4 neo and PSVR).

The point is still the same, you're gonna lose money on hardware either way, so you may as well move more units by doing a cheaper Gears SKU.

Maybe they are also trying to do a balancing act? Need to maximize profit off the hardcore Gears fanbase to help subsidize these wacky price cuts?

I could have agreed with you except for one part: the sales of this bundle are gonna low for it to even make a difference.

-----------------------------------------

The casuals don't buy these things if they are limited. They always sell less compared to the normal SKU's because they are meant to be a premium item for a premium price. Microsoft knows Gears of War 4 will sell consoles at $299 and they know there is market for premium consoles for a much higher price. They are still selling consoles, just some of them are being sold for a higher cost.

Here's something they can do, keep this premium SKU and have another a bit more Normal SKU but bundled with gears.

Who would choose the $499 XB1 when there is a $499 Titanfall bundle? It was a replacement meant to be a "PLEASE BUY THIS" bundle. How does that mean the cheapest SKU matters? It was literally the better SKU.

Do you think it was No game 500GB SKU + $650 (or $600) Titanfall bundle the sales would be the same?
Similar question: Imagine this bundle was priced at $350-$300, you think the sales outcome will close to it being $450?

91k isn't low for a $499 limited bundle. That 91k was 30% of all XB1's sold in October. How is that not good for a limited bundle that cost's $150 more than the cheapest option?

91K is good for $499, but it's not good if you can a $400 option and make it sell +150K easy. Again MS could easily sold much better if they made Halo 5 bundle more affordable to people.

Also, that didn't stop a consumer from buying a $349 XB1 with Halo 5. Why would MS give away Halo 5 at launch to new consumers? They want to make money and they did when consumers bought a $349 bundle along with Halo 5 and even more with the $499 Halo 5 bundle.

Another question for you: Say Sony made Destiny bundle $550, you think it would have sold +500K in NPD? Remember, people at the time had an option buy the normal PS4 + Destiny for price of $460 (close to $450)

Besides the desperate Titanfall bundle, game bundles at launch are always more expensive than the standard SKU. This has happened for years, and MS has always had very expensive console bundles.

Just do $350 Gears bundle? You don't need to go all the way to $450.

Chobel

Valid points. I had many of the same questions and thoughts last fall with the Halo 5 bundle.

For whatever reason their rationale for doing it and the results then must have done well enough to justify them doing it again.

I guess, they have more data and market research than anything I can even dream to have and they have analysts with experience than me, so I may be well not be wrong. However some times they don't make the best business decisions, and I really think Halo 5 and this year Gears 4 are one of these times

watdaeff4

I guess, they have more data and market research than anything I can even dream to have and they have analysts with experience than me, so I may be well not be wrong. However some times they don't make the best business decisions, and I really think Halo 5 and this year Gears 4 are one of these times

I agree with you that they dont always make the best decisions and they could be making a mistake here.

However I would hope that for their division and shareholders that after Doing it with Halo 5 and seeing how the results lined up with their expectation that if it failed then they wouldn't turn around and do the same thing again this year. That goes from "not the best" decision to flat out stupidity.

Welfare

Here's something they can do, keep this premium SKU and have another a bit more Normal SKU but bundled with gears.

They don't need to do that though. If someone wants an XB1 and Gears 4, they can buy the $299/$349 SKU and Gears 4. If they want the Limited SKU, they can shell out $449 for a better value than the first option. Why would MS cut out the first option and just give a $299/$349 Gears bundle? Gears will sell consoles on its own, it would be burning money giving it away in cheap bundles.

Do you think it was No game 500GB SKU + $650 (or $600) Titanfall bundle the sales would be the same?
Similar question: Imagine this bundle was priced at $350-$300, you think the sales outcome will close to it being $450?
If MS gave Titanfall a limited bundle, it would've been $549. I think it would've done about the same as it did in reality, which was 218k. The regular no game SKU would have done much worse though.

To the second question, it's all relative. It would be priced higher than the regular SKU and would be marketed as a more limited premium bundle to buy, so in that case, yeah they would still be similar.

91K is good for $499, but it's not good if you can a $400 option and make it sell +150K easy. Again MS could easily sold much better if they made Halo 5 bundle more affordable to people.
There were $349 bundles consumers picked up that could've also gotten Halo 5 with the purchase for $409.98. Consumers could've also purchased the $399 1TB SKU's and then spend a total of $459.98. Why would MS make a bundle that limits spending options when they can get an additional $10 - $60 when consumers buy them separately?

Another question for you: Say Sony made Destiny bundle $550, you think it would have sold +500K in NPD? Remember, people at the time had an option buy the normal PS4 + Destiny for price of $460 (close to $450)
Sony would have to justify the cost of it being $150 more than the $399 500GB, but even then, no it wouldn't sell as much. They would clearly want it to be a special package. However, those sales would transfer to the $399 SKU anyway.

Just do $350 Gears bundle? You don't need to go all the way to $450.
If it were a 500GB bundle, sure. This isn't that though. It is meant to be a premium package that the hardcore will buy. Even then, this bundle is a pretty good one when it comes to value.

Option 1) Want a 2TB Xbox One? That'll be $399
Want Gears 4? That'll be an additional $59

Option 2) Want a 2TB Xbox One with Gears 4? Get the limited bundle that comes with 2TB, a unique console skin, and the $99 version of Gears 4 for just $10 less than option 1.

Even going with just the $299 SKU plus Gears 4, it's only $90 more to get 4x the HD space (Less expensive than the $100 gap between the 500GB and 2TB SKU) and the Ultimate edition of Gears 4, which is $40 more expensive than the standard Gears 4.

Can't believe how MS still hasn't learn nothing about it's overpriced bundles.

Sony released an Uncharted 500GB bundle for $400.

I'd say $50 more for a 2TB is a much better price point than what Sony offered. All of MS' bundle options vary in price so I don't see anything wrong with what they've been doing.

jryeje29

Man if that's $450 then there's no way Scorpio retails for less than $599, looks like its time to just upgrade the PC. I like it though, I like darker colored consoles.

Chobel

Someone brought to my attention that Battlefield 1 is happening in the same month, so possibly MS are doing BF1 bundle instead. So I'm dropping this subject, at least until we know all MS plans for the holiday.

Sorry guys, it was premature for me to do this, I just assumed it will be repeat of what happened last year.

See this is where we disagree, You think bundles don't matter when it comes to sales, I think they do and significantly so. IMO if Destiny bundle wasn't a thing PS4 won't have made it post 450K. I also think if MS had Halo bundle instead of Gears UE bundle, they could sold more, and maybe even win NPD months.

BTW: I have nothing against the value of bundle, just was discussing the business part of it.

Top Bottom