• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears Of War 4 multiplayer beta impressions and footage

Theorry

No starts tomorrow and you recieve the codes based on when you played UE.
If you played on launchday you get codes on the first day and so on.

krang

Codes going out in the order that you played UE.

That's what was promised for the Gears 1, 2, 3 and J codes - but they sure as hell weren't in the right order. I bought UE in December and still got my codes before people on GAF who played UE at launch.

I haven't played Gears since 2, but after watching this video it looks identical to it. I did love Gears 2 though, so I gotta say I am greatly looking forward to this game.

The improved graphics look amazing. (Compared to Gears 2)

pizzacat

Banned
lmao there's exaggerations of bouncing but it could be useful in fights. Don't complain because you get mollywhopped from it, learn how to fight against it

btw I'm pretty sure that's one of the Dev team members lol

Kordelle

lmao there's exaggerations of bouncing but it could be useful in fights. Don't complain because you get mollywhopped from it, learn how to fight against it

btw I'm pretty sure that's one of the Dev team members lol
Yeah it is.
But I wouldnt want to play against the devs in any game 😅

That's nice to hear, i hope that includes lots of visual effects too. I just saw the videos on Gamersyde and man....it really looks ok but nothing more than that. People in the comments there say it's like an upressed 360 game and....i can't even argue with that. I sure expect a lot more from a Gears game and UE4. Gears has always looked fantastic in both sp and mp.

As for Uncharted, the beta looked fantastic last year and this year and it wasn't even finished at that point. I am definitely looking forward to the beta and can't wait to play the campaign, which hopefully WILL have really nice visuals, but i can't deny that i expected more. We'll see. Are there any examples of other games that were in the same state as Gears 4 MP beta that didn't look too hot and looked much improved in final game?

When are we going to get a code for the beta by the way, how's this going to work?

Gears and uncharted are different artistic directions and should be left outside for another conversation. We are still seeing, from what it sounds like an old build, to more test mechanics, systems, and back-end infrastructure and to catch bugs and gain feedback.

Wouldn't be surprise if launch version looks better. Also, keep in mind...this is 1080p/60fps for MP...so things will come at a cost to maintain that. Maybe they should of opted for a dynamic to 900p/60fps since people seem so caught up on how it looks.

SP is where all the bells and whistles will be, that has always been the case for the most part.

Crream was making a good argument on his stream a night or two ago about how the competitive meta is going to be pretty slow in this game, despite the OP gnasher making it appear 'fast'.

This game's meta will be slow due to two factors:
- strong lancer
- wall-tagging nades

The game will probably develop into teammates holding positions and lancering people who try to push. Keep in mind that the lancer is strong enough (so far in this beta) that if two people focus on one target, the target is going to go down almost instantly. Wall-tagging nades also hinders movement and prevents coordinated rushes from being effective.

What this all means is that playing defensively is way too strong in this game, which will lead to "slow-playing" which you see in a tied game of Halo Slayer where everyone camps and hopes the other team makes a mistake.

Of course, I'm hoping that with the drop-shot and the saw blade gun, it's possible to break lancer set-ups.

And this is all speculation. It'll be exciting to see how the meta develops, and I have no doubt in my mind the Coalition will try to balance it well from pro feedback.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Crream was making a good argument on his stream a night or two ago about how the competitive meta is going to be pretty slow in this game, despite the OP gnasher making it appear 'fast'.

This game's meta will be slow due to two factors:
- strong lancer
- wall-tagging nades

The game will probably develop into teammates holding positions and lancering people who try to push. Keep in mind that the lancer is strong enough (so far in this beta) that if two people focus on one target, the target is going to go down almost instantly. Wall-tagging nades also hinders movement and prevents coordinated rushes from being effective.

What this all means is that playing defensively is way too strong in this game, which will lead to "slow-playing" which you see in a tied game of Halo Slayer where everyone camps and hopes the other team makes a mistake.

Of course, I'm hoping that with the drop-shot and the saw blade gun, it's possible to break lancer set-ups.

And this is all speculation. It'll be exciting to see how the meta develops, and I have no doubt in my mind the Coalition will try to balance it well from pro feedback.

If two focus you with lancers you should go down very fast. Also, most people are saying lancer is weak (compared to 3). It needs to have some kind of strength.

That said there is a push to keep wall tagging with nades out. And the defs have been listening, communicating back.

SwolBro

Banned
As for little aiming skills, try telling that to a Longshot player. I've played Gears of War for close to a decade I'm aware what this game is and what skills mean in this game.
Snipers in most games end up having some aiming skill required, still not as much as proper movement.

But did you even read what I wrote? I was pointing out how that movement itself requires very less skill because of zero penalty that alternate control brings for spamming cover as you can never fail and find yourself in a roll, people who abused it simply tilted the analogue stick repeatedly from one direction to another while pressing X...that is all. The very fact that it's a simple never changing pattern, regardless of the environment or enemy, is what makes it non skillful. The hyperbounce in Gears 3 was ridiculous.
Hmm, yeah but anytime i see someone complain or try and push for less movement i automatically assume they are bad and don't know what they're talking about. It's a knee jerk reaction, my bad.

Top Bottom