• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears Of War 4 multiplayer beta impressions and footage

bidguy

Banned
thing is uncharted 4 is a finished game

gears 4 is 6+ months away. they already said the beta is missing a lot of stuff including animations

nOoblet16

Uncharted changes a lot because it was never mechanically great. And you use RE4 as an example when it was a game that alienated the series from old fans due to how different it was.

Also The Coalition is a new studio and Gears 4 is their first game, with the task to follow up Judgement...I don't mind if they play it safe especially considering how close to perfect Gears 3 was mechanically.

Hesemonni

Banned
Is anyone else bothered by the lackluster lighting in MP? It's really jarring for me to see characters roll around without shadows :/

krang

Gears is a game that is heavily competitive online. As a result, animations tend to have to take a back seat to the speed of switching positions, gameplay movement etc. There's little freedom in animation art when it relies so heavily on predictability and skill.

Uncharted has better animations, but by comparison it has far more flexibility in its appearance in MP.

thing is uncharted 4 is a finished game

gears 4 is 6+ months away. they already said the beta is missing a lot of stuff including animations

Will be interesting to see how much things improve over those 6 months. The beta seems pretty solid already, so I'm guessing a lot of stuff will stay the same and they will just tidy things up and get the textures and graphics polished up for launch now.

Will be interesting to see the difference between MP and Campaign too, hope they show some footage of that soon.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Anyone have any tips for getting "gud"? Like, I'm just awful at this and can barely kill a single person online. Trying to get footage for DF and it's not going well.

I'm not well versed in Gears online but it's just a mix of guys rolling up and shotgunning me or using explosives. These guys are damn good and I just can't compete at all.

Even worse, I have to play it with basically 140ms of latency (at least) due to the capture process making it even harder to aim. :(

Will be interesting to see how much things improve over those 6 months. The beta seems pretty solid already, so I'm guessing a lot of stuff will stay the same and they will just tidy things up and get the textures and graphics polished up for launch now.

Will be interesting to see the difference between MP and Campaign too, hope they show some footage of that soon.

If im not mistaken back when the studio was still called black tusk they had some
really impressive animation system, not sure if the checked that back in to Unreal engine 4

krang

Anyone have any tips for getting "gud"? Like, I'm just awful at this and can barely kill a single person online. Trying to get footage for DF and it's not going well.

I'm not well versed in Gears online but it's just a mix of guys rolling up and shotgunning me or using explosives. These guys are damn good and I just can't compete at all.

Even worse, I have to play it with basically 140ms of latency (at least) due to the capture process making it even harder to aim. :(

Gnasher and dive-rolling out the way between shots is about it up close. Need to keep your distance with other weapons.

Gears is a hard one, but just tagging along with a teammate should help.

nOoblet16

Oh man 140ms of controller latency.

Anyways, don't hard aim when using shotgun i.e. avoid aiming with LT pressed unless they are running away. Otherwise just strafe and blindfire or do a pop shot, a pop shot is when you press LT+RT together or when you press LT and near instantly follow it up with RT (allows for small aim adjustments) then you let go of the triggers.

Also use grenades and power weapons as much as you can. Try the Boomshot and that other new weapon, don't bother with Torquebow and especially the Longshot. You can also use your Lancer to take down people who haven't noticed you are are mid to long range, but remember to use active reload before shooting, infact you should use active reload as much as possible with every gun.

Tomash

I'd argue it falls off quick because gears is very hard to be/do good at. Possibly one of the hardest games to be really good as in multiplayer.

Fergusson said their new approach to fixing this is skill based matchmaking. Compares it to basketball, if you were to only play it against a team of NBA All-Stars, you'd hate it. "The game/the sport is great, it's just about who you play against".
18:10 - 21:47, talks about intended vision for Gears, what it became, how Epic fought it and how Coalition accepted it
https://youtu.be/r0PMu_u0Nug?t=18m10s

Purest 78

People rolling around using shotguns was always my experience with gears.

leeh

Use the Gnasher constantly, bouncing between cover while in a battle is one of the most important things to do and try to LT before firing with the Gnasher to lower your bullet spread. If your failing with it, beat down first and then try and gib them.

With aiming, I'd say one of the best things to do is have a higher sensitivity and swing your aim like a pendulum when your bouncing around.

Can't wait..Man , it's been 5 years since we get a proper Gears game. I am really glad they kept the amazing Gears formula , wish Halo would do the same. Halo 5 is great but it doesnt give me the feeling of older Halo games. Gears is on the right track right now. Ranks look sexy aswell and make the game more balanced for newcomers which is nice..

Have you tried some bot matches?

FINALLY

CgGxi2jWsAAhaWj.jpg:large
In Gears diamond is higher than onyx, in Halo onyx is higher than diamond, this vexes me. :p

jesu

Follow someone good :)

SwolBro

Banned
Uncharted changes a lot because it was never mechanically great. And you use RE4 as an example when it was a game that alienated the series from old fans due to how different it was.

This. For all the hoopla the game gets, and the love for it's animations the game itself was always hard for me to play. I couldn't understand how the hell the game would get so much praise with such horrible mechanics.

Mechanics>graphics to me. But i guess i'm out of the loop these days. All people talk about are pixels.

I actually prefer UC's mechanics. Sure, Gears has weightier shooting but I much prefer the mobility in UC's SP and MP. All the climbing and jumping is much more fun to me than wall bouncing.

nib95

Banned
This. For all the hoopla the game gets, and the love for it's animations the game itself was always hard for me to play. I couldn't understand how the hell the game would get so much praise with such horrible mechanics.

Mechanics>graphics to me. But i guess i'm out of the loop these days. All people talk about are pixels.

That's probably what it is though, you just weren't very good at it. People are so used to cover shooters and easy kills in games, that sometimes it can be hard to adapt to one where there are far more variables and potential for strategy, especially in terms of mobility and verticality.

Add to that, the headshot multiplier is game changing in Uncharted games, essentially completely changing combat scenarios. You spray and pray or go for body shots, your kill times are going to be considerably longer, hence why you sometimes hear of bullet sponge complaints. But if you have efficient and skillful aim, consistently go for headshots, and can properly manage recoil, unlike other shooters where only certain weapons (Eg snipers) will lend to one shot kills (in games like Halo, Gears etc), in Uncharted every weapon can drop the vast majority of enemies in just one or two shots/bullets. This variance can be jarring depending on play styles, and why some find the game bullet spongey, whilst others make short work of the combat and have no such complaints.

I actually prefer UC's mechanics. Sure, Gears has weightier shooting but I much prefer the mobility in UC's SP and MP. All the climbing and jumping is much more fun to me than wall bouncing.

Thankfully both games exist and neither has to change drastically to become something completely different for no reason.

Always been curious about gears. There's no socom and no tactical 3PS for me to play on PS4. Does gears tend to be a tactical teamwork based shooter?

Vire

Always been curious about gears. There's no socom and no tactical 3PS for me to play on PS4. Does gears tend to be a tactical teamwork based shooter?

If by tactical you mean rushing someone with a shotgun and blowing them to smithereens, yes definitely.

pizzacat

Banned

Even the best bouncers succumb to someone's aim sometimes. Hardaim your way to victory, wait for people picking up weapons if you have to.

And the ms problem, man I've been playing sub 20fps on gears 3 with hella input lag on the one and I've been doing a bit above average, you got this dude.

Fergusson said their new approach to fixing this is skill based matchmaking. Compares it to basketball, if you were to only play it against a team of NBA All-Stars, you'd hate it. "The game/the sport is great, it's just about who you play against".
18:10 - 21:47, talks about intended vision for Gears, what it became, how Epic fought it and how Coalition accepted it
https://youtu.be/r0PMu_u0Nug?t=18m10s

they'll always be battling against skill bases MM, player pool and latency for the players. they need a big enough player base to truly make that work. at launch it might work ok but 6 months later when the majority of people move on, your back to the regular 7-10k player pool that Gears3 ended up with.

Use the Gnasher constantly, bouncing between cover while in a battle is one of the most important things to do and try to LT before firing with the Gnasher to lower your bullet spread. If your failing with it, beat down first and then try and gib them.

With aiming, I'd say one of the best things to do is have a higher sensitivity and swing your aim like a pendulum when your bouncing around.

I would second that sensitivity suggestion. in Gears3 i had them all cranked pretty high. I also had a problem in GearsUE in that it didn't go nearly high enough. if your in a Gnasher battle the guy who can spin around faster has a huge advantage over you.

Played a good 6 hours of the beta yesterday & have a few things to say:

1.) The Gnasher is OP to all hell and it's really easy to literally snipe with it if you're a few feet away.

2.) The Dropshot is the best new Gears weapon since...ever?

3.) The movement is incredibly slick & wall bouncing around cover is awesome. Although I can see new players having trouble with this until they learn the technique.

1.) The Gnasher is OP to all hell and it's really easy to literally snipe with it if you're a few feet away.

Yeah, I could tell this just by watching some streams. It almost looks like Gears 2 TU6 levels and god help us all if that's the case.

Would not be surprised to see it nerfed come October.

Is there a lot of place holder sound in the beta?? The swarm variants literally sound just like locust, as If they might as well have just wrote them back into the story lol.

Played a good 6 hours of the beta yesterday & have a few things to say:

2.) The Dropshot is the best new Gears weapon since...ever?

3.) The movement is incredibly slick & wall bouncing around cover is awesome. Although I can see new players having trouble with this until they learn the technique.

Number 3 is great to hear. I love Gears for so many reasons but the incredible movement, which creates the biggest skill-gap in the game, might be my favourite part.

Top Bottom