• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears Of War 4 multiplayer beta impressions and footage

Is there a lot of place holder sound in the beta?? The swarm variants literally sound just like locust, as If they might as well have just wrote them back into the story lol.

Yeah, it really doesn't sound all that different in the beta honestly, though I'm sure that'll change in the full game. I will say this: the Torgue Bow & Dropshot sound so goddamn cool! Torque in particular has this neat, sci-fi/futuristic sound that I can't explain for shit but it sounds really powerful & badass.

Yeah, it really doesn't sound all that different in the beta honestly, though I'm sure that'll change in the full game. I will say this: the Torgue Bow & Dropshot sound so goddamn cool! Torque in particular has this neat, sci-fi/futuristic sound that I can't explain for shit but it sounds really powerful & badass.

Immediately noticed the sound of the Torque. Sounds great.

m23

SwolBro

Banned
That's probably what it is though, you just weren't very good at it. People are so used to cover shooters and easy kills in games, that sometimes it can be hard to adapt to one where there are far more variables and potential for strategy, especially in terms of mobility and verticality.

Add to that, the headshot multiplier is game changing in Uncharted games, essentially completely changing combat scenarios. You spray and pray or go for body shots, your kill times are going to be considerably longer, hence why you sometimes hear of bullet sponge complaints. But if you have efficient and skillful aim, consistently go for headshots, and can properly manage recoil, unlike other shooters where only certain weapons (Eg snipers) will lend to one shot kills (in games like Halo, Gears etc), in Uncharted every weapon can drop the vast majority of enemies in just one or two shots/bullets. This variance can be jarring depending on play styles, and why some find the game bullet spongey, whilst others make short work of the combat and have no such complaints.
No, it wasn't hard for me because the game was hard from a skill standpoint. I'm a natural at shooters. I've never been bad at any shooter i have played or attempted to play. It's my favorite genre.

The mechanics were just awful. They improved them, yes, but for such a highly regarded AAA title it was a big letdown and a bit surprising to me actually

malfcn

And one of the early streamers isn't even playing Gears. She's playing other games, like Kingdom Hearts, Minecraft and Rise of the Tomb Raider. Why promote someone that isn't even playing?

The Streaming just thanked Epic for the code for the beta. -_-

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
http://youtu.be/BeO2web5ElQ

He talks about a cooldown being attached to wall-cancelling/bouncing but I have to say, the video doesn't do a great job of demonstrating that.

You can still bounce like crazy.

It's mainly noticeable to some serious pros that were abusing it hard in Gears 3. Most players won't notice it and it will still feel very fluid as they go at the pace it is set at already.

The wall cancel is still as cheesy as ever.

q5ern30.gif

nOoblet16

The swarm look terrible, loincloth clad red, fleshy and scaly...uggh !

q5ern30.gif

Just you wait until you start seeing people using alternate control scheme to spam it like this bullshit here in EVERY...single...encounter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjNj-EFDneo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs-I0DkHAbc

Zero aiming required since the players who do this only hope that their Gnasher shots hit, and by extension almost no skills since they are no longer bound by the penalty of missing a slide to end up rolling. All you do is tilt analogue left and right while tapping X continousely and hit RT

nOoblet16

Honestly just removing the alternate control scheme will fix slide cancel abusers who exclusively rely on it and nothing else for their gameplay.
It's my most hated thing in my favourite MP series, because the players who abuse it are often the ones who never do anything else or even touch power weapons.

Edit:
http://youtu.be/BeO2web5ElQ

He talks about a cooldown being attached to wall-cancelling/bouncing but I have to say, the video doesn't do a great job of demonstrating that.

You can still bounce like crazy.
I think he does a decent job, wall bouncing like crazy would be like the ones in the video that I posted...almost looked like a glitch and it was ridiculous.
This here is much more manageable.

malfcn

Is there a beta OT?

Honestly just removing the alternate control scheme will fix slide cancel abusers who exclusively rely on it and nothing else for their gameplay.
It's my most hated thing in my favourite MP series, because the players who abuse it are often the ones who never do anything else or even touch power weapons.

Is there a pro, or league setting to prevent abusers?
I know it won't affect the masses though.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
My thirst is real right now. I've been trying all day to snag a beta code from Twitter and Twitch streamers. Sadly, no luck. LoL

malfcn

My thirst is real right now. I've been trying all day to snag a beta code from Twitter and Twitch streamers. Sadly, no luck. LoL

Me too. Just got off work, and trying to chill and maybe watch an NHL game.
Tomorrow I have my own hockey playoff game. Then back to the work grind.
If I'm not lucky enough, I'll join the fun on Monday.

Thursday was my birthday. Feel older now.

Tomash

I've seen tournament alternate as a control scheme listed here, is rolling on right bumper?

I've seen tournament alternate as a control scheme listed here, is rolling on right bumper?

Hey, I played with the OP (iXane)! So, for control schemes there's a "Tournament" & "Tournament Alt."

Tournament - Only difference between this & default is that LB is take cover/evade/mantle (hold for run).

Tournament Alt - X button is evade (hold for run).
Y is use/revive/meatshield/grab (hold to pick up).
LB is take cover/mantle

Tomash

Hey, I played with the OP (iXane)! So, for control schemes there's a "Tournament" & "Tournament Alt."

Tournament - Only difference between this & default is that LB is take cover/evade/mantle (hold for run).

Tournament Alt - X button is evade (hold for run).
Y is use/revive/meatshield/grab (hold to pick up).
LB is take cover/mantle

Thanks, tournament alternate was missing from UE, glad to see it in.

thing is uncharted 4 is a finished game

gears 4 is 6+ months away. they already said the beta is missing a lot of stuff including animations

That's nice to hear, i hope that includes lots of visual effects too. I just saw the videos on Gamersyde and man....it really looks ok but nothing more than that. People in the comments there say it's like an upressed 360 game and....i can't even argue with that. I sure expect a lot more from a Gears game and UE4. Gears has always looked fantastic in both sp and mp.

As for Uncharted, the beta looked fantastic last year and this year and it wasn't even finished at that point. I am definitely looking forward to the beta and can't wait to play the campaign, which hopefully WILL have really nice visuals, but i can't deny that i expected more. We'll see. Are there any examples of other games that were in the same state as Gears 4 MP beta that didn't look too hot and looked much improved in final game?

When are we going to get a code for the beta by the way, how's this going to work?

SwolBro

Banned
I really gotta get into the alternate control scheme (LB to run/cover)

Xbox elite controller son. Back left button is going to be dirty for this.

Zero aiming required since the players who do this only hope that their Gnasher shots hit, and by extension almost no skills since they are no longer bound by the penalty of missing a slide to end up rolling. All you do is tilt analogue left and right while tapping X continousely and hit RT

So, you think this doesn't take skill but aiming down a site of a lancer behind cover is skillful? There's very little skill in gamepad controller aiming in shooters. This isn't PC. Movement is where the skill is.

I have no problem with wall-bouncing. For most players, it's simply another tool on the battlefield, not one to exploit but something to pull out of the bag when needed.

People who do it constantly are easy enough to kill too.

Movement is perhaps the mechanic that creates the largest skill-gap in the game so the more options the better if you ask me.

Walpurgis

Banned
I like 3rd person shooters but have never played Gears of War. Gameplay looks kind of okay but the visuals are just bland. I don't mind if they play it safe since I'm new. I just want this to be good but I'm feeling a meh.

Chief Devin

q5ern30.gif

Ok i've played Gears since day 1. Midnight release and everything. Played until 2 was garbage on release, quit came back for a bit of 3 and Judgement whatever that game was.

This shit is not Gears and I have no idea where it came from. Yes we used to wall bounce in fights but for fucks sake this is egregious. It looks stupid. Every time I played 3 or see this shit it makes my stomach hurt. Half of the fun of Gears 1 shotgun was shooting in the half second lag and trying to beat host shotgun. Nobody cares how good your wallbounce is

I like 3rd person shooters but have never played Gears of War. Gameplay looks kind of okay but the visuals are just bland. I don't mind if they play it safe since I'm new. I just want this to be good but I'm feeling a meh.

If you're already feeling meh about it then you're not going to enjoy it. Gears has one of the toughest learning curves I've ever experienced and you will get fucking wrecked your first time out. Chances are if you're on the fence now before even playing it it's going to end in you being violently shoved over the side of "yeah I don't like this" after your first several matches.

Eos

That type of fast wall bouncing is pretty much useless in most cases. Wall bouncing is mainly used to evade an enemy, try to confuse them by bouncing and getting a shot off or maneuvering around multiple enemies. Strafing is the best way to get kills with the gnasher. I'm just glad that the wall bounce/wall cancel speeds look like Gears 3.

nOoblet16

Xbox elite controller son. Back left button is going to be dirty for this.

So, you think this doesn't take skill but aiming down a site of a lancer behind cover is skillful? There's very little skill in gamepad controller aiming in shooters. This isn't PC. Movement is where the skill is.
Why are you putting words in my mouth that I never even implied to prove your own point? lol
As for little aiming skills, try telling that to a Longshot player. I've played Gears of War for close to a decade I'm aware what this game is and what skills mean in this game.

But did you even read what I wrote? I was pointing out how that movement itself requires very less skill because of zero penalty that alternate control brings for spamming cover as you can never fail and find yourself in a roll, people who abused it simply tilted the analogue stick repeatedly from one direction to another while pressing X...that is all. The very fact that it's a simple never changing pattern, regardless of the environment or enemy, is what makes it non skillful. The hyperbounce in Gears 3 was ridiculous.

Top Bottom