• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears Of War 4 multiplayer beta impressions and footage

So they gave a few codes to twitch streamers but no one's on the servers (obviously) and Swiftor can't find a match :(

This looks more like Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platin and Diamond.

Yeah. In the stream they mentioned it was called onyx so they should make it more like...onyx lol

SwolBro

Banned
And to all the people saying they should have taken more risk, that's just silly IMO. You know when they will take risks? When The Coalition, as a team, have a solid understanding of what gears is, in terms of gameplay, in terms of community, in terms of story, etc.. You know when they will have a solid understanding? After Gears of War 4. After their first game they made themselves, and not a fresh coat of paint on another devs baby. They are looking at 343 and seeing that trying to change the franchise without a solid understanding of what the franchise is, will negatively effect both the people who are longtime fans and anyone who might have been interested, in the long run. The diehard fans will leave when you try and chase the new fans, and the new fans leave when the next shiny game comes out and there is no community left to make them think twice.

Save the crazy new stuff for Gears 5. We know its coming at this point. For now, refine the gameplay that was perfected in 3, and develop a clear understanding of what it is to make a Gears game.

Yeah but the problem is Gears has suffered big time since the first one. Even with Gears 3 somewhat redeeming the franchise it didn't regain the fanbase it had.

Gears UE fell off quickly, and not because people don't love Gears 1 but because the gameplay has gone stale. They needed to do something fresh with the franchise. It doesn't look like they have, and on top of it they've decided to continue with these horrible color palates which makes the game look really crummy compared to what other games are looking like right now.

Yeah but the problem is Gears has suffered big time since the first one. Even with Gears 3 somewhat redeeming the franchise it didn't regain the fanbase it had.

Gears UE fell off quickly, and not because people don't love Gears 1 but because the gameplay has gone stale. They needed to do something fresh with the franchise. It doesn't look like they have, and on top of it they've decided to continue with these horrible color palates which makes the game look really crummy compared to what other games are looking like right now.

Wasnt Gears 3 the biggest of them all? Gears UE is a re-thing (not really a remake... except the graphics) but was also tied to things in the original, warts and all, people played it a decade ago, it also missed things like Horde which were big for the franchise

Wasnt Gears 3 the biggest of them all? Gears UE is a re-thing (not really a remake... except the graphics) but was also tied to things in the original, warts and all, people played it a year ago, it also missed things like Horde which were big for the franchise

Yeah, there are a lot of reasons UE failed to have a lasting impact - though there's still a pretty active community.

There are still thousands playing Gears 3.

SwolBro

Banned
Wasnt Gears 3 the biggest of them all? Gears UE is a re-thing (not really a remake... except the graphics) but was also tied to things in the original, warts and all, people played it a decade ago, it also missed things like Horde which were big for the franchise

I never felt it commanded the level of hype and admiration as the first one did. I know people really enjoyed it though. I guess we'll see what Gears 4 does.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
some people are just savage at this game with the wall bouncing stuff. I've never liked it as it always felt glitchy to me. I think as with all Gears games if you work as a team and control the weapons it's easy to stop people who bounce around the map though. No matter how good you are you're not normally going to beat two or three people all shooting at you.

Strootman

Lancer is underrated, it's a really good weapon if you know how to use it. At least on previous gears.

But of course Gnasher >>>> everything else, as it should be

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

I'd argue it falls off quick because gears is very hard to be/do good at. Possibly one of the hardest games to be really good as in multiplayer.

malfcn

To clarify, the steamer wasn't negative. He loved it.
But the party he was in seemed to hate it.

"this is garbage, they need to delay the game a year" etc.

Its pretty amazing watching people play in the same game from 6-7 different perspectives.

Watching this group (GoldenGlove and his friends) playing against several other streamers (including an MMA fighter apparently) on the other team.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I dont like the idea of active reload being limited. I figure it's probably to stop people from having it in every battle, but fuck that. If you dont active reload beforehand its your own fault.

SwolBro

Banned
I'd argue it falls off quick because gears is very hard to be/do good at. Possibly one of the hardest games to be really good as in multiplayer.
eh, i dunno about this. we've had some pretty hard games to master since the initial gears 1 launch.

if anything the gameplay looks slow and dated.
Gears 1 was also the first heavy hitting exclusive of last gen though.

i mean, yeah it doesn't mean gears 4 couldn't be something similar. it just doesn't have that "wow" factor so far like gears 1 did

There are other games to satisfy your needs that don't completely change the way the game functions. On one hand the game does look extremely similar to 3 and I guess they could have done a bit more to make it feel appealing for people who played 3 a lot. On the other hand, imo 3 was almost perfect for me and I can't think of anything I'd add to make it better so they're in a tough spot.

The new stuff they have added like the Running Jump Over Cover and Yank & Shank look like nice little changes, but I guess I was just expecting something more from a next gen Gears. Games can evolve and still be great, Resident Evil 4 was a great example of that.

But watching Gears 3 and 4 footage side by side is little disappointing for me, because for a next gen Gears, on more powerful hardware and around 5 years later (3 years if you count Judgement) things like character animations still look the same, for things like running, taking cover, rolling ect.

Some newer animations would have been a grat way to make improvements and show off what the newer engine can do, but compare it to some of the new animations Naughty Dog are using for Uncharted 4, which really is incredible.

GrandioseInfantileBergerpicard.gif

X5Lzh3U.gif

It just makes it look like Gears hasn't progressed that much over the years and is playing it safe, something which Gamspot has already picked up on in their preview of Gears 4.

People seem to think the criticism means I'm trying to hate on the game, I do actually like Gears, but there's nothing wrong with wanting something better for a game series that's on it's 5th game, and coming to a newer console.

I guess it's the typical internet thing of you can't just like something, you have to love it or you hate it. People are way too defensive.

I just hope the campaign can live up to the job and delivers a solid story as that's what I'm really looking forward to in Gears 4. It should hopefully show off more graphical improvements too, with it running at 30fps.

Top Bottom