• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears Of War 4 multiplayer beta impressions and footage

You'd think they'd toss all of the weapons in for balancing purposes. That seems like the second most important thing it get feedback on behind server/network stuff I'd imagine.

Call me optimistic but I wouldn't be surprised if they did another beta closer to launch... although I thought Halo 5 would do the same thing and I was wrong so..

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Maybe add climbing up walls / more vertical levels. Mechs or vehicle combat would be nice or a jet pack maybe ? How about different character classes, Strong but slower, Faster but not as much health, and unique abilities for each class, things like that would be welcome.

Just something that makes it feel a little more fresher than just the same thing again.

Wut

stopped watching after he said they'll go into random twitch accounts and give codes. chat is a complete clusterfuck.

i'll wait for monday. stream looks like ass.

And to all the people saying they should have taken more risk, that's just silly IMO. You know when they will take risks? When The Coalition, as a team, have a solid understanding of what gears is, in terms of gameplay, in terms of community, in terms of story, etc.. You know when they will have a solid understanding? After Gears of War 4. After their first game they made themselves, and not a fresh coat of paint on another devs baby. They are looking at 343 and seeing that trying to change the franchise without a solid understanding of what the franchise is, will negatively effect both the people who are longtime fans and anyone who might have been interested, in the long run. The diehard fans will leave when you try and chase the new fans, and the new fans leave when the next shiny game comes out and there is no community left to make them think twice.

Love this part. Beautiful...just beautiful. The next COD game will most likely come out the next month after gow4 release ffs

Call me optimistic but I wouldn't be surprised if they did another beta closer to launch... although I thought Halo 5 would do the same thing and I was wrong so..

Hopefully. Gears 3's weapon balance was pretty weak in the beta. It was a lot of fun running around hip firing the retro with pinpoint accuracy and sniping people with the sawed off from 10ft away, but it was pretty unbalanced.

Yeah but they're overhauling it so it sounds like it'll perform way differently than the Gears 3 version.

Cool, I'm glad it's coming back. I love the weapon variety in starting weapons, assuming it's going to be one. The Judgement Retro was rad.

That actually gives me hope for the Mk. II Hammerburst returning as well.

Maybe add climbing up walls / more vertical levels. Mechs or vehicle combat would be nice or a jet pack maybe ? How about different character classes, Strong but slower, Faster but not as much health, and unique abilities for each class, things like that would be welcome.

Just something that makes it feel a little more fresher than just the same thing again.

Stay away from my Gears

Retro lancer being back sours me. Thankfully they're changing it because that weapon had no business being the way it was in Gears 3.

What, it's back? Ugh. Any videos?

No videos, but The Coalition confirmed it in stream. They are completely changing it and rebalancing it. The Sawed Off is not in it thankfully.

Edit: And may I say, it sucks I am unlucky and didn't win a Beta code in the stream :(. Now I am sad.

Zeta Oni

Yes but Judgement had both Hammerbursts in the game as well, so it doesn't really rule anything out.

Did not know that. Then actually I could see it happening, considering the way they talked about the retro being seen as a counterpart to the OG lancer rather than a completely different weapon like in gears 3.

Voho

I hope they don't get rid of the weapon additions Judgement made just because the game as a whole was bad; the Markza, Booshka and Breech Shot were good fun.

I hope they don't get rid of the weapon additions Judgement made just because the game as a whole was bad; the Markza, Booshka and Breech Shot were good fun.

The breech shot was more OP than sawed off and retro combined. Absolutely ridiculous weapon.

The breech shot was more OP than sawed off and retro combined. Absolutely ridiculous weapon.

But it was a Power Weapon. That is their role, to be a bit OP. They need to be much more powerful then starting weapons or there is no point in picking them up and establishing map control. I thought the Breechshot was fine in Judgement, in my opinion. You really needed to hit head shots with it. And it was only in a couple of maps (from my recollection). But to the point of the Sawed Off and Retro, I thought they were actually OP as they were loadout weapons (and from my experience with the game, were the go to loadout combo for many players).

But it was a Power Weapon. That is their role, to be a bit OP. They need to be much more powerful then starting weapons or there is no point in picking them up and establishing map control. I thought the Breechshot was fine in Judgement, in my opinion. You really needed to hit head shots with it. And it was only in a couple of maps (from my recollection). But to the point of the Sawed Off and Retro, I thought they were actually OP as they were loadout weapons (and from my experience with the game, were the go to loadout combo for many players).

There is a sniper weapon already. Having another one that shoots much faster is ridiculous.

6 shot grenade launcher that bounces off walls replacing a 2-3 shot boomshot that doesn't really get its splash bullshit till the active?

Hmm

Eh it was harder to get kills with. The boom shot is free kills for me. I do prefer things like the digger or now the drop shot. Skills based but still explosive.

Watching these videos is bringing back all sorts of emotions in me. Gears games were the only games to make me care enough to borrow my brother's 360 (besides Halo 3 and Bioshock, but they were not recurring over the systems lifetime). I was totally unimpressed by the initial campaign reveal, but now I'm remembering that's just because I never liked Gears' campaigns after the first one.

This multiplayer though. Oh man it looks so good. I need some sweet sweet Gears multiplayer in my life.

Do we have any details on this coming to PC yet? How long after is the port expected? Or any impressions on the Gears 1 PC port? I'm very interested in this now but I don't want to buy an Xbox One and Xbox Live just for this.

Strootman

FINALLY

CgGxi2jWsAAhaWj.jpg:large

Was kinda hoping they'd experiment and expand a little more than this, but I guess when you've got a fanbase as toxic as Gears', you should try to play it safe before expanding.

I believe Rod actually said something along those lines when talking about the game's development. Either way, I'm very excited to play the beta.

There are other games to satisfy your needs that don't completely change the way the game functions. On one hand the game does look extremely similar to 3 and I guess they could have done a bit more to make it feel appealing for people who played 3 a lot. On the other hand, imo 3 was almost perfect for me and I can't think of anything I'd add to make it better so they're in a tough spot.

Top Bottom