• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Gears of War remaster coming to Xbox One, sources say" (by Splash Damage)

Palocca

So hypothetically speaking, let's say a friend and I were invited to "something" but I turned it down due to having work, what can I say? I technically didn't sign an NDA. :eek:

Usually they won't tell you the title of a game until you sign the NDA. They'll just call it Project X or something like that.

Thinking back on it the the Gears 1 campaign may be my favorite, had some rough parts but also had the best encounters. I don't see myself paying $40 for just the one game though, through in the other 2 and I'm sold.

Black Hat

Hmm... interesting. Gears 1 is still the only Gears that I've played.

Tempted to play a next-gen remaster for sure.

Hopefully all the Gears games will get the same treatment.

ElRenoRaven

Usually they won't tell you the title of a game until you sign the NDA. They'll just call it Project X or something like that.

Well if you ever signed up and got accepted as a VMC tester you actually did. They have an over reaching NDA you sign before you ever get a gig with them.

Yaranaika

Yes. I need this. Updated graphics, with the same strategic gameplay, weapons and maps.
Day one. Just fix some of the bugs and host advantage.

Korosenai

A part of me wants a Fenix Collection, but I'd be ok with a remaster of the first game. Maybe this time I can get that 10,000 kills achievement.

Hopefully Black Tusk and Microsoft learned from 343s mistake and is doing this entirely in house.

kevin1025

Banned
Gears 1 had the best campaign out of the first 2. Never played 3 or Judgement.

Gears 3 was my favorite of the bunch, but I loved them all.

Gears 1 by itself is a little odd, will they be releasing the three games at different points before the new Gears releases or is this a single remaster? Lots of questions!

Feindflug

A remaster of the first one? That game was forgettable at best.

lol

Back on topic if this is a proper remake running at UE4 then I'm in at full price and day one, if it's a simple remaster then this will be kinda disappointing and needs to be 20e at most.

Gears 1 had the best campaign out of the first 2. Never played 3 or Judgement.

Gears 3 had also a great campaign and Judgment was pretty good too. Gears 2's campaign is the worst in the series IMO...the gameplay was slow and clunky when compared to the first game, gnasher turned into a pea shooter, it had shitty pacing due to a lot of boring and tedious filler sections and the level design was bad.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm not involved in VMC anymore but I know a guy who is.

Wouldn't tell me what Gears game it is, but there is a test tonight at 9 est (according to his twitter)

SPDIF

True, but certain things line up. I feel I've said too much already.

Although it's technically breaking the NDA, I don't think it's that bad to just confirm that this beta is being referred to as Project Pt by VMC. Especially since it's already leaked. Of course if you were actually taking part in this beta it would probably be best to not say a thing.

Sigmaah

This is the best thing I could ask for. Gow1 remake with everything updated, I hope to god they don't touch the multiplayer, just gimme my servers with gow1 gameplay and I will shed so many tears.

I'm so happy this is happening. Y'all don't even know. Just as long as they don't fuck up multiplayer.

I thought that a remaster of the first one would be the case. A remastered collection is just too good to be true.

I think gears of war has had it's day.

Gears 3 and judgement came when the install base for the console was insanely large and yet both games were both poor sellers in the grand scheme of AAA 360 exclusive games.

Gears 3 poor seller? You are wrong.

Didn't Gears 3 sell like 10 million units?

This is the sort of problem you run into when people have different tastes for what they want in the same game: there are tons of people who would be really upset if they changed anything related to the mechanics.

but the natural evolution of the mechanics is what made 3 such a great playing game. try going back to Gears1 after spending a year playing 3 and it feels like you have one hand tied behind your back due to the the lack of control refinements.

Update: According to another source, Brink and Dirty Bomb developer Splash Damage is working on the Xbox One remaster of Gears of War. The U.K.-based studio has several job listings that say it's working on a "very well known and highly popular AAA title with next gen technology." We've reached out to Splash Damage for comment.

oh.

HardRojo

Only the original? WTF!? Haven't they been reading about people being excited for the WHOLE TRILOGY coming over to XBO? What the hell? I don't get this...

paolo11

As long as the shot detection in Gears 3 and dedicated servers are in the remaster, count me in.

I wonder how the Seriously achievement would work this time.

Only the original? WTF!? Haven't they been reading about people being excited for the WHOLE TRILOGY coming over to XBO? What the hell? I don't get this...

i couldn't care less about the campaigns personally. a multiplayer/horde suite with all the maps is the real gem here.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Well if this is more of a remake/anniversary edition than a 1080p remaster than this makes sense. If not,..

Feindflug

They probably want to avoid another possible MCC fiasco.

Update: According to another source, Brink and Dirty Bomb developer Splash Damage is working on the Xbox One remaster of Gears of War. The U.K.-based studio has several job listings that say it's working on a "very well known and highly popular AAA title with next gen technology." We've reached out to Splash Damage for comment.

Next gen technology? is it a remake or a simple remaster? I guess we'll find out soon.

Maybe they'll somehow include maps from 2 and 3? One can dream. They should just release an MP game with the best features of each one.

Gears 1 - Shotty, maps, gore, weapons (no retro, no sawed-off)
Gears 2 - Horde
Gears 3 - Movement, melee
Judgment - Overrun

But I'm happy with Gears 1 MP and no host advantage.

Am I forgetting something or isn't Gears like a really gorgeous game? What's the benefit of a remaster?

I tried playing it years ago and it ran at shit resolution full of aliasing and terrible framerate problems

It soured me so much I never finished it or played the sequels

Top Bottom