• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War: Ultimate Edition for Win 10 |OT| Down But Not Out

Darkone

I've read somewhere, I don't recall if it was here or reddit, that it's taken people 10+ min to launch for the first time, and after that it was OK.

Is everything up to date?

Yes, updated drivers.

It don`t get to the menu, after a few min the window just closes.
Sigh, what a waste of money.

i can't even fucking play online. it just boots me to the menu.

crazy stuttering at 40fps~ on medium for a 970 + i5 4670k

last and first time i'm ever using this shitty store. fuck you, MS.

Carlius

Banned
god i forgot how much i love this game...th emultiplayer is just seriously still one of the best experiences online.

Intru

Weird, looking at the game on the Windows store and it shows that "This app is not compatible with this device"

I'm running 64-bit Windows 10 (education version)
16GB RAM
i7 5820k @ 4.3Ghz
GTX 970

No idea why it's doing this.

i can't even fucking play online. it just boots me to the menu.

crazy stuttering at 40fps~ on medium for a 970 + i5 4670k

last and first time i'm ever using this shitty store. fuck you, MS.

There is a night and day difference between campaign and multiplayer. Multiplayer is butter smooth but nobody plays any Warzone or Execution, they all stick to social tdm, which is awful.

dLMN8R

Weird, looking at the game on the Windows store and it shows that "This app is not compatible with this device"

I'm running 64-bit Windows 10 (education version)
16GB RAM
i7 5820k @ 4.3Ghz
GTX 970

No idea why it's doing this.

Do you have the 1511 update installed?

Any chance you're running the Education edition of Windows 10 as well? I guess it's possible the update isn't available on it yet.
Nope i got the regular old version, but i had insider builds off, I turn it on and set it to fast now i'm updating to 14271.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Is there a comparison between this version and the 360 version? How big is the graphical overhaul?

Dambrosi

Banned
I just installed Windows 10 a few hours ago, so this is a nice surprise.

I won't be able to buy this till next Tuesday, though.

In the meantime, can anyone tell me when Killer Instinct is suppose to come to PC?

Intru

You could try using the Windows Updater Troubleshooter program.

Otherwise you'll have to do what I had to. Grab the Windows 10 Media Create Tool from Microsoft, and use that to force it to give you 1511.

Yeah, I actually tried the media create tool... It gave me some bullocks about my version of Windows not being supported. Going to bed now, might try more stuff tomorrow.

Is Co-Op matchmaking not working for anyone else? It shows player found and launching, but always fails and restarts the search. I'm able to join versus matchmaking fine.

There is a night and day difference between campaign and multiplayer. Multiplayer is butter smooth but nobody plays any Warzone or Execution, they all stick to social tdm, which is awful.

Yeah this is just sad, you can't even find players in any other game mode. Why did I buy this lol. The online is not gonna last long that's for sure.

dLMN8R

No, and there are no updates available in Windows Update.

http://imgur.com/NDwkMpo
Nope i got the regular old version, but i had insider builds off, I turn it on and set it to fast now i'm updating to 14271.

1511 is a minimum requirement to purchase and download the game - the lack of such a purchase block yesterday was why some people were having download problems. The purchase block was added later in the day.

As for why you don't have 1511 offered to you in Windows Update, there are a couple of reasons.

1) If you have "Defer upgrades" selected in Windows Update settings, that would be an easy reason why. Need to disable that.

2) If it's been fewer than 30 days since you upgraded to Windows 10, you can't upgrade to 1511 yet through Windows Update. This is because once you move from RTM to 1511, you can no longer roll-back to your previous OS. You can use the Media Creation Tool from here to upgrade in the meantime.

Please let me know which it was in your case, or if it's neither.

Cool. Thanks.

Also, how does this game play with a keyboard/mouse?

Sucks that there are so few gameplay impressions. Everything is about the technical side of things.

Tried the keyboard/mouse controls and they are basically the same as the old PC version (WSAD, space to cover, etc)

Gameplay wise, it's the same game that came out almost 10 years ago (and it's still as great as it was)
The audio design is still amazing, and the music is also as good as I remembered.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just finished the campaign on normal difficulty. Next I guess I'll collect all the cog tags, try out multiplayer, and then move onto the next campaign difficulty.

MCD

1511 is a minimum requirement to purchase and download the game - the lack of such a purchase block yesterday was why some people were having download problems. The purchase block was added later in the day.

As for why you don't have 1511 offered to you in Windows Update, there are a couple of reasons.

1) If you have "Defer upgrades" selected in Windows Update settings, that would be an easy reason why. Need to disable that.

2) If it's been fewer than 30 days since you upgraded to Windows 10, you can't upgrade to 1511 yet through Windows Update. This is because once you move from RTM to 1511, you can no longer roll-back to your previous OS. You can use the Media Creation Tool from here to upgrade in the meantime.

What happened to updating apps separately from the OS? It's embarrassing that we need Update ver 15xxxxxx just to get a game.

All these years beta testing our ass on Win Phone and you guys learned nothing.

I know I am being harsh but you can't just half bake every goddamn new announcement.

frontieruk

What happened to updating apps separately from the OS? It's embarrassing that we need Update ver 15xxxxxx just to get a game.

I know I am being harsh but you can't just half bake every goddamn new announcement.

They had to make a point of no return, may as well pin it on a store requirement.

holygeesus

Banned
Did anyone else have the problem of the game not deleting temporary files after installing? I've downloaded it twice now and both times it has left behind 40GB of temporary files that have to be manually deleted! Way to go MS.

psp12345

Haven't had this many issues with a PC game for a long time.
I had to download it three times before I could even start it. Yesterday my 360 controller stopped working and I had to use mouse and keyboard. Today there was no sound and I had to restart the computer.
It also stutters and doesn't run as well as it should with 980Ti.

Still a good game though, just wish they fixed all the annoying problems.

dr_rus

The 1511 update requirement has more to do with updating DX12 than the store/game I think.

tuna_love

Banned
Same, I am stuck on 'Contacting Gaars of War servers'
they apparently put out a hotfix to fix that and it worked for me. but my nat is on moderate and I cant find games. you can start the game with internet disabled and connect after if you just want single player

Wonder how many users are playing online now?
Anyway to check? I'm very curious to know!

In fact I would love to know the sales numbers.

Nah i didn't have defer upgrades selected,and i upgraded to the full version of windows 10 last year when it launched.

Khasim

I tried to Google it but I couldn't find a definitive confirmation - is it possible to return this and get a refund? I wanna know before I buy, if nobody plays online then I won't even bother.

Gears 1 PC has been dead for years and I had hoped that UE will bring it back for some time, but with the whole lack of information about the PC version along with the launch fuckups and Windows Store shenanigans, I wonder if this game will even last a month.

Celcius

°Temp. member
You know how sometimes the path branches? Sometimes Marcus teams up with Dom and sometimes with Baird but he never teams with Cole.
*random observation*

Top Bottom