• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

I would like to make a request. Compatibility with FFXIII-2.

Arbitrary resolutions don't work above 1080p for me. Even If I take it from 1080p120hz to 2160p60 in the NV control panel, the game just doesn't want to start.

TheTrain

I would like to make a request. Compatibility with FFXIII-2.

Arbitrary resolutions don't work above 1080p for me. Even If I take it from 1080p120hz to 2160p60 in the NV control panel, the game just doesn't want to start.

The generic plugin works well from what I've seen. I've only difficulty to find a good hash for the hide hud function .-.

One3rd

Has anyone got GeDoSaTo working with Mafia II? Can't seem to get any post processing to work or take screenshots without the game crashing.

So is this only to take screen shots with or do you guys actually play games with downsampling on.

That's the beauty, you can do both.

Assuming you have a beefy pc, you can use it to downsample from INSANE resolutions to get great screenshots, or you could just downsample from a decent resolution to get great IQ, reduce jaggies considerably and still get decent FPS, particularly for older games.

Durante

So is this only to take screen shots with or do you guys actually play games with downsampling on.
I never run a resolution specifically to take screenshots. It's all for playing.

One of the selling points for GeDoSaTo (before DSR existed) is that you can get high quality downsampling in realtime, not just for screenshots (which you could already downsample with e.g. bicubic filters with classic driver-level downsampling).

nick nacc

Banned
I never run a resolution specifically to take screenshots. It's all for playing.

One of the selling points for GeDoSaTo (before DSR existed) is that you can get high quality downsampling in realtime, not just for screenshots (which you could already downsample with e.g. bicubic filters with classic driver-level downsampling).

Did i hear correctly that amd now has this kind of thing officially? Can I just enable it on CCC? Or is this still the thing to use?

Lime

I7 4790k r9 290 what we talking about here?

I got the same specs and I get around 30fps with 2160p in more intensive games like AC4. Older games play aroud 60fps at 2160p.

GeDoSato gives you more options but you have to configure things a bit more than if you use AMD's. I also think that AMD's solution is more taxing on your hardware.

Did i hear correctly that amd now has this kind of thing officially? Can I just enable it on CCC? Or is this still the thing to use?

Update to the newest driver, go into My Digital Flat Panels and then enable the GPU downsampling option. With a 290, you can get up to 1800p.

One3rd

I'm having some trouble taking full resolution screenshots in Mafia 2 *after* changing the resolution to a GeDoSaTo resolution. Initially this was just crashing the game, changing maxScreenshotParallelism to -1, 0 or 1 has stopped it crashing but doesn't take the screenshot either. Below are the errors that show, any idea what they mean?

Code:
Failed saving screenshot! (D3DX)
Code:
Failed taking screenshot! (STBI)

The strange thing is that if the game is started up with a GeDoSaTo resolution already set then the screenshots work...only after changing the resolution to something else do they stop working. Any thoughts?

Anteater

if durante adds mulitple inject hash it's going to be a lot of work for naruto, stupid hash I found only works 50% of the time.

Gotta say hudless screenshot is great tho, I run everything through gedosato now just because of that, I hate having to go through a bunch of tutorials just to disable huds and sometimes it gets in the way of actually playing the game, now I just have a shortcut mapped to my 360 controller guide button for screenshots thanks to gedosato.

Anteater

i don't know what's wrong with capcom games but dmc4 has the same problem as lost planet, where the UI goes crazy if i use injectpshash :(

it works when i toggle the hud off, but it's nothing but artifacts if i turn it back on, it's so weird.

edit: injectDelayAfterDraw true fixed it i think :0 for both games!

Has anyone seen this?

I try to open Dark Souls 2 with Gedosato and all I get is a white screen with this in the corner:

eCBUxW6.jpg

Postprocessing effects work on native resolution, but any supersampling resolution gets me the white screen.

My native resolution is:

6578*1200

Also tried supersampling to 1.5x = renderResolution 9867x1800@60

Same white screen

Thanks for any help

One3rd

I seem to be getting a lot of crashes when trying to take full hi-resolution screenshots in various games, what's the best way to troubleshoot these?

Darksiders 2, which was working for me previously, is now crashing whenever I try to take one of these full screenshots.

Parsnip

I seem to be getting a lot of crashes when trying to take full hi-resolution screenshots in various games, what's the best way to troubleshoot these?

Darksiders 2, which was working for me previously, is now crashing whenever I try to take one of these full screenshots.

Have you tried changing screenshot parallelism setting?

I have no idea what else to try, Gedosato just wont supersample for me.

I tried a different monitor, and Im getting the same problem, I can hear the game running but all I see is a white screen.

Things I tried:

Disabling the Intel HD 4000 GPU listed on Device manager.
Switched from a 21:9 screen to a 16:10 screen.
Running Gedosato as Admin.

Things I havent tried:
Installing AMD drivers prior to Omega drivers.

Anyone using Gedosato with the Omega drivers? is it possible it broke something?

Here is my Gedosato.ini:

Code:
# Lines starting with "#" are ignored by GeDoSaTo and used to provide documentation
# read them before changing anything!

## NOTE 1: you might want to set most of these settings in game-specific setting files
# if a game has a profile the settings there overwrite the defaults specified here!

## NOTE 2: if you want your personal settings to persist across updates
# put them into a user config file (created with the "U" button below)

########################################################################################
# Graphics settings

# The actual rendering resolutions you want to use,
# and how many Hz you want the game to think they work at.
# format: renderResolution [width]x[height]@[hz]
renderResolution 3840x2400@60
#renderResolution 5760x1080@60alcca

# The resolution you want to downsample *to*.
# Should generally always be your output device pixel size and frequency.
# Writing something not supported by the display here will probably cause a crash.
# 0 = main monitor resolution
presentWidth 1920
presentHeight 1200
presentHz 60

# How many vertical traces to wait when presenting
# -1 = unchanged
#  0 = no vsync
#  1 = standard vsync
#  2 = half refresh rate (e.g. 30 on 60 Hz)
#  3 = 1/3rd refresh rate, etc.
presentInterval 0

# The type of scaling you want to use.
# bilinear: what GPUs generally do, cheap performance-wise
# bicubic: higher quality, more expensive performance-wise
# lanczos: higher quality and sharp, most expensive performance-wise
# nearest: extremely cheap, generally ugly, but useful to upsample retro games
scalingType lanczos

# Whether to maintain the aspect ratio if different ratios between input and output
# false = stretching
#  true = pillar/letterboxing
maintainAspectRatio true

# Forces an anisotropic filtering level
#  0 = no override
#  N = force Aniso level N on all surfaces (eg. N=16)
# NOTE: this is more "brutal" than the driver-level override, and may break the graphics
#   in some games. Outside of special circumstances (e.g. FF13), you should rather use a 
#   driver-level override.
forceAnisoLevel 16

########################################################################################
# Compatibility Settings

# Forces the constant reporting of the downsampling resolution in all applicable
# scenarios - a small selection of games needs this to show the DS resolutions
forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes false

# Emulate exact flipping behaviour
# requires some extra performance/memory,
# but may be important for some games to work
emulateFlipBehaviour false

# Restricts interception to only system dlls
# might increase compatibility with 3rd-party injectors, but decrease stability 
interceptOnlySystemDlls false

# Force disables Steam in-game overlay from getting loaded into the process
# which caused some games to crash, even if it was disabled in Steam settings
preventSteamOverlay false

# Loads Steam overlay early
loadSteamOverlayEarly true

# Loads D3D dlls early - may cause some games to recognize GeDoSaTo which wouldn't otherwise
loadD3DEarly false

# Forces the present resolution to be set, regardless of what the game requests
# usually only makes sense in conjunction with game-specific plugins
# for games with resolution limits
forcePresentRes false

# For games which use strange methods to query resolutions,
# injecting a new one might not work. In such cases, you can try replacing an
# existing resolution. E.g. "overrideWidth 800", "overrideHeight 600" to replace 800x600
# 0 = override disabled
overrideWidth 0
overrideHeight 0

# GenericDepthPlugin options
# zBufCompatibilityFlag : bypasses d3d9 Clear flags (possible values: 2/3/6/7) <-- try this first if no AO shows up
# zBufClearIndex        : delays the bypass by x number of iterations <-- to fix potential flickering issues (usually 1/2/3 is fine)
zBufCompatibilityFlag 0
zBufClearIndex 0

# Override the plugin selection process to always select the given plugin
# example: pluginOverride GenericDepthPlugin
pluginOverride None

# Delays the detouring operation until the first hook call (like the old default injection)
# may fix startup crashes in some games (e.g. Alan Wake)
delayDetouring false

# Windowing settings

# Hides the mouse cursor, at all times
# options: "true" (= hidden) and "false" (= unchanged)
hideMouseCursor false

# Forces borderless windowed fullscreen mode instead of fullscreen mode
# options: "true" (= force borderless windowed FS) and "false" (= unchanged)
forceBorderlessFullscreen false

# Forces "real" fullscreen (e.g. for games which only support borderless FS)
# NOTE: this can lead to alt-tab crashes, as these games may not handle focus loss correctly
forceFullscreenMode false

# Image processing settings
# Note: may or may not apply depending on the plugin used

## AA

# AA toggle and quality setting
# 0 = off (best performance, worst IQ)
# 1 = low 
# 2 = medium
# 3 = high
# 4 = ultra (worst performance, best IQ)
aaQuality 4

# AA type
# either "smaa" or "fxaa", depending on your preferences
aaType fxaa

## SSAO

# Determine the type of AO used
# "SAO" = Scalable Ambient Obscurance
# "HBAO" = Horizon Based Ambient Occlusion
# "VSSAO2" = Volumetric SSAO
# "MSSAO" = Martinsh SiSAO inspred by ArKano22
ssaoType VSSAO2

# Enable and set the strength of the SSAO effect 
# (all 3 settings have the same performance impact!)
# 0 = off
# 1 = low
# 2 = medium
# 3 = high
ssaoStrength 3

# Set SSAO scale
# 1 = high quality (default)
# 2 = lower quality, lower impact on performance
ssaoScale 1

# Set SSAO Blur type
# gaussian = soft, cheap
# sharp = depth-dependent, more expensive
ssaoBlurType sharp

## DOF

# Enable Depth of Field
# false = off
# true = on
enableDoF true

# Select the type of DOF effect
# basic = basic pseudo-Bokeh DoF
# bokeh = shaped circular Bokeh DoF - WARNING: high performance impact
dofType bokeh

# Bokeh Depth of Field radius
# default = 1.00
# higher = more blurry (e.g. 1.1)
# lower = less blurry (e.g. 0.9)
# note: small changes make a large difference
dofBaseRadius 1.00

## Post

# Enable Postprocessing
# false = off
# true = on
# For in-depth configuration, look in "assets/post.fx" or "assets/post_asmodean.fx"
enablePostprocessing true

# Postprocessing type
# durante = basic postprocessing adapted from SweetFX (dark, local contrast)
# asmodean = postprocessing by Asmodean (with tone mapping, softer)
# For in-depth configuration, look in "assets/post.fx" or "assets/post_asmodean.fx"
postProcessingType durante

## Bloom

# Enable HDR Bloom
# false = off
# true = on
# For in-depth configuration, look in "assets/bloom.fx"
enableBloom true

# Texture settings

# Dump game textures loaded using d3dx to textures\[gamename]\dump\[hash].tga
# if you enable override at the same time, the overridden texture will be dumped
enableTextureDumping false

# Override game textures loaded using d3dx with those from
# textures\[gamename]\override\[hash].(dds|png), if available
enableTextureOverride true

# Mark textures with their hash (for texture modders)
# WARNING: extremely slow if a game loads many textures
# (if you think a game crashed, it's probably still just loading textures)
enableTextureMarking false

# Mouse settings
# you may have to play around with these a bit to get mouse input working correctly
# while downsampling in some games

# Modify the mouse position reported by "GetCursorPos" when downsampling
modifyGetCursorPos false

# Modify the mouse position set by "SetCursorPos" when downsampling
modifySetCursorPos false

# Intercept the WindowProc callback of the game and adjust mouse messages when downsampling
interceptWindowProc false

# Adjust the mouse position reported in peeked Windows messages when downsampling
adjustMessagePt false

# Adjust the reported client rect when downsampling
modifyGetClientRect true

# Adjust the reported window rect when downsampling
modifyGetWindowRect true

# Internal settings

# The amount of logging output for debugging purpose.
# Should be set to 0 if everything works fine for performance reasons.
logLevel 0

# Number of seconds on-screen messages are displayed for
messageSeconds 10

# The maximum degree of parallelism for screenshot encoding
#  N = use up to N worker threads for screenshots
#  0 = synchronous (no parallelism)
# -1 = TheOctagon mode (stores .bmp using D3DX API, very slow, use only as a workaround)
maxScreenshotParallelism 4

Parsnip

I have no idea what else to try, Gedosato just wont supersample for me.

I tried a different monitor, and Im getting the same problem, I can hear the game running but all I see is a white screen.

Things I tried:

Disabling the Intel HD 4000 GPU listed on Device manager.
Switched from a 21:9 screen to a 16:10 screen.
Running Gedosato as Admin.

Things I havent tried:
Installing AMD drivers prior to Omega drivers.

Anyone using Gedosato with the Omega drivers? is it possible it broke something?

Here is my Gedosato.ini:
I tested your ini and got the same.
Changing scaling to anything but lanczos fixes it. I'm on green team so it's not an AMD specific thing either. No idea if it's a known problem or why it's happening, but there you go.

One3rd

Have you tried changing screenshot parallelism setting?
Thanks for the reply. I have tried values of the default 4, 1, 0, and -1. 4 seems to crash the games 100% of the time when very large resolutions are used (>20MP), and the other values show one of the following errors and the screenshot is not saved.

Code:
Code:

Do the above codes mean anything that might explain what the problem is?

Parsnip

Thanks for the reply. I have tried values of the default 4, 1, 0, and -1. 4 seems to crash the games 100% of the time when very large resolutions are used (>20MP), and the other values show one of the following errors and the screenshot is not saved.

Code:
Code:

Do the above codes mean anything that might explain what the problem is?

No idea, sorry.
You could try setting the log level higher (I think I remember highest being 40?) and look at that after a crash. If nothing else, it could potentially help Durante to diagnose the issue.

Aeana

Yeah, I also still use it for some Wii U games which have no AA.

At some point I hope to get a Micomsoft SC-512N1 and make it compatible with that.

I'm still looking forward to that~
Amarec serves me well for monitoring, but I'd love to have the AA stuff from PtBi.

I tested your ini and got the same.
Changing scaling to anything but lanczos fixes it. I'm on green team so it's not an AMD specific thing either. No idea if it's a known problem or why it's happening, but there you go.

Thank you so much for the tip, seems like for me, only Bilinear works, Lanczos, Bicubic only gets White screen, :(, very sad, bilinear looks really bad compared to the other ones :(

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you so much for the tip, seems like for me, only Bilinear works, Lanczos, Bicubic only gets White screen, :(, very sad, bilinear looks really bad compared to the other ones :(

Tried re-downloading the whole GeDoSaTo package from scratch?

Dr Dogg

Huh well this was an interesting article I didn't quite know where to put but Wes over at PC Gamer has a piece up about getting Star Trek Elite Force 2 running on modern Windows.

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-play-star-trek-elite-force-2-on-windows-78/

Interesting thing is that this is an OpenGL game and he get's downsampling via GeDoSaTo working using GLDirect.

So unless I'm seriously out of the loop I might be downloading a load of OGL id Tech games this weekend.

Jumpman

You can use DSR/VSR for the moment to get 2x2.

Even if you could get more than that, it wouldn't be very playable unfortunately.

Yeah I've been using DSR and it works well enough. Although I'd prefer GDST if given the option since I prefer its feature set. MGSGZ looks great with downsampling. I'd go as far as saying it needs it because at stock 1080p the image quality leaves something to be desired. Downsampling has really spoiled me since Dark Souls 1 with DSfix lol.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Tried downsampling DOA Online with no results and same for Chaos Legion crappy old res shall remain I guess.

wilflare

haven't been keeping up. can someone indulge me pls

can we use this w Wolfenstein:TNO or CoDAW yet? (or would that be too much of a performance penalty?)

MrLampost

Neo Member
Has anyone been using this with Divinity 2: Directors Cut?
I had it working quite a few versions back, but stopped using it as the mouse position fixes never worked. Fast forward to now, decided to see if any of the recent updates had fixed/changed anything, and now I can't get Divinity 2 to downsample at all. The most it will do is force borderless, except the game crashes as soon as I click back in after clicking out.
Tried directly editing the display settings file for Divinity, no joy.
Every other game is working fine, this is the only one that stopped working between versions.
Any advice?

Can someone help me get this working for Metal Gear Rising?

Metal Gear Rising wasnt in the list of games so I had to add it in the whitelist but once I did that and ran the game it still doesnt seem to be working with GeDoSaTo.

My whitelist looks like this:

METAL GEAR RISING REVENGEANCE ||
METAL GEAR RISING REVENGEANCE
METAL GEAR RISING REVENGEANCE || METAL GEAR RISING
AlanWake || Alan Wake
AO || Abyss Odyssey

I tried a few different ways but still no luck.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Can someone help me get this working for Metal Gear Rising?

Metal Gear Rising wasnt in the list of games so I had to add it in the whitelist but once I did that and ran the game it still doesnt seem to be working with GeDoSaTo.

My whitelist looks like this:

METAL GEAR RISING REVENGEANCE ||
METAL GEAR RISING REVENGEANCE
METAL GEAR RISING REVENGEANCE || METAL GEAR RISING
AlanWake || Alan Wake
AO || Abyss Odyssey

I tried a few different ways but still no luck.

Metal Gear Rising is a weird outlier where it won't go above 1920x1080. There is a tool or method someone made/discovered that lets you render above that though. I don't know it off hand, you'd need to google it. Regardless, it likely won't work with GeDo.

Metal Gear Rising is a weird outlier where it won't go above 1920x1080. There is a tool or method someone made/discovered that lets you render above that though. I don't know it off hand, you'd need to google it. Regardless, it likely won't work with GeDo.

Yeah I know downsampling wont work with it I just wanted to use that sincity post processing filter with the game.

Hello,

I'm going to start my Batman Trilogy run and I remember about GeDoSaTo. Then I read this description on the compatibility list.
New resolution appears in launcher and is correctly set when game is started. Downsampling occurs fine but mouse fix options from GeDoSaTo.ini are needed to properly navigate menus with the mouse.
I'm still not sure what should I do with the .ini file to fix the mouse problem.
Can someone help me?

Hello,

I'm going to start my Batman Trilogy run and I remember about GeDoSaTo. Then I read this description on the compatibility list.

I'm still not sure what should I do with the .ini file to fix the mouse problem.
Can someone help me?

I think you have to change modifyGetCursorPos to true.

edit: Actually all three games have config filed made for them so you don't have to do anything. The game work without you having change anything the ini.

Echoplx

It worked for me a while ago, not sure if it still does.

It is actually possible to downsample MGR, It's not ideal though

You need to use this tool and the game has to be running in windowed mode for some reason.

There were some HUD glitches that I couldn't reproduce consistently but it mostly worked.

I'm going to redownload the game now to do some more testing with the new builds.

I think you have to change modifyGetCursorPos to true.

edit: Actually all three games have config filed made for them so you don't have to do anything. The game work without you having change anything the ini.

I see, thanks for the answer.
After trying it for a brief moment, my game (Asylum) crashed on exiting a building on early area (4k downsampling).
I'll try it again in another building or zone.

Anteater

lol wat, I was trying out the last remnant and I also enabled gedosato's fsaa, the fsaa isn't working but I found a hash for hudless toggle, when I toggle the hud off the AA seems to kick in, but not when it's on, pretty weird..

edit: oh guess it's the inject hash that's doing this :( works if I remove it.

Top Bottom