• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

geek gaf - figure models

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

just curious. to my fellow Hot Toys aka 1/6 figure collectors, do you keep the boxes with all the packaging inside or do you toss the boxes or do you flatten them? one thing about HT that i hate is how awesome their boxes are and i'm running out space to store them, lol....

just curious. to my fellow Hot Toys aka 1/6 figure collectors, do you keep the boxes with all the packaging inside or do you toss the boxes or do you flatten them? one thing about HT that i hate is how awesome their boxes are and i'm running out space to store them, lol....

I don't toss the boxes of any figures I get. If ever there came a point I wanted to sell them (very unlikely), I'd get the most back.

SUPARSTARX

I keep them.. I don't really pull out all the accessories plus there's the resell value. Brown shipper too if there is one. So they're not flattened and taking up a lot of room.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've thought about picking one up...he does make for some "interesting" photos.

I remember seeing him in stock after the photos were spreading like wild fire and was rather tempted to get one, but I realised 1. I'd never be able to beat those who've already made photos 2. I didn't have a collection of figures to take advantage of 3. I'd just be buying into a joke.

I keep them.. I don't really pull out all the accessories plus there's the resell value. Brown shipper too if there is one. So they're not flattened and taking up a lot of room.
I keep mine and I take all of the accessories out of the box and into a little ziplock bag for easy access. The whole packaging presentation is part of how awesome Hot Toys stuff is. And you never know when you'll be in a pinch and need to sell them and the box definitely ups the resale value.

Is Link sold out or something?

Prices skyrocketed when the American "distributor" fessed up that they couldn't grab the rights to distribute the Link and Samus Aran figma's in America. Even though they still took orders whilst they were trying to make the deal, which fell through:
http://www.tomopop.com/i-really-hope-you-didn-t-order-figma-link-domestically-28158.phtml
Unfortunately, you are out of luck as Diamond Comics was unable to get the license necessary to sell Link to U.S. retailers.

In an e-mail that was sent out to purchasers, BBTS noted that Diamond had solicited the item to them for sale back in September, but that the deal was not finalized between Diamond and the license holders. Due to the inability of the two sides to come to a deal, no figma Link is to be distributed in North America.

If you were affected by this, my heart goes out to you. For Diamond to botch this given how so many had wanted this figure is utterly disgusting. Don't get people to buy things when the deal isn't in place.
Read more at http://www.tomopop.com/i-really-hop...-domestically-28158.phtml#ZpqAlIQyZxQlg0oP.99

SUPARSTARX

That sucks.

If anybody really wants Link, I'm willing to let mine go for lower than what people are scalping for. I've only taken it out of the box for 15 minutes to take those few pictures I took pages back and it went right back in. lol

PM me

Bah, the store that claimed to have the Revoltech Layton in stock just informed me they in fact don't have him. I should have known. Now I have to decide if he's worth the price he goes for on eBay etc, which is about twice what I was expecting to pay.

johnsmith

remember me
ITEM:B / BOX:C
Max Factory Mai Shiranui - 7770 yen
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=HOB-FIG-5319-R021

Ebay is flooded with bootlegs of this figure, so here's a chance to get one that's legit for sure.
This thing is huge, almost a foot tall, as it's 1/6 scale.
ibtEAXOdoabDaA.jpg

johnsmith

remember me
I've bought a lot of B items and none of them have had any problems. Worst case scenario it might have a little scratch or paint defect, or be dirty. I bought a B/B of this same figure a few months ago and have no complaints about mine. She was in perfect condition. But this is a 5 year old figure, the chance of finding one sealed and not having it be a bootleg is very low.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I've bought a lot of B items and none of them have had any problems. Worst case scenario it might have a little scratch or paint defect, or be dirty. I bought a B/B of this same figure a few months ago and have no complaints about mine. She was in perfect condition. But this is a 5 year old figure, the chance of finding one sealed and not having it be a bootleg is very low.

Thanks for the insight! How much was shipping on yours? She looks pretty big, so I'm wondering what the end game cost will be.

This was one of those figures from years ago that I actually wanted, but could never find for a decent price, so I'm definitely considering it. I already have the new AlphaMax Mai pre-ordered, so I dunno... maybe that's too much Mai. Is there such a thing?

johnsmith

remember me
Thanks for the insight! How much was shipping on yours? She looks pretty big, so I'm wondering what the end game cost will be.

This was one of those figures from years ago that I actually wanted, but could never find for a decent price, so I'm definitely considering it. I already have the new AlphaMax Mai pre-ordered, so I dunno... maybe that's too much Mai. Is there such a thing?

Fortunately her package wasn't too big that she couldn't be shipped by SAL. It cost 1580 yen to ship unregistered.

meijiko

If something's pre-owned on AmiAmi, is there a chance of counterfeit?

I imagine it would be a very, very small chance with an excellent quality bootleg. These people sell figures for a living, and I don't think it would be very easy to fool them into buying a bootleg and reselling it on their website.

johnsmith

remember me
I've never heard of anybody getting a counterfeit from amiami. I guess it's always possible, if an employee screwed up badly when taking the trade in. But amiami is probably the most secure source for a genuine version of an item that's been bootlegged.

LiK

I've never heard of anybody getting a counterfeit from amiami. I guess it's always possible, if an employee screwed up badly when taking the trade in. But amiami is probably the most secure source for a genuine version of an item that's been bootlegged.

I didn't even know they sell used figures. I tend to preorder only. Good to know and I assume they can tell what are bootlegs before selling them.

I bought a B-grade Neko-Arc nendo from AmiAmi; other than the box having been opened, it looks brand new. Even the box looks fresh off of the shelf.

Can't comment on the bootleg issue, though. They're pretty big so I doubt they'd risk their reputation selling Bootlegs.

johnsmith

remember me
I've bought way too much stuff preowned. The hobby is manageable when you're only preordering new figures, and all the older stuff is sold out, but once you start buying preowned you have access to years worth of awesome stuff to catch up on.

so in terms of posable action figure types that are good quality what's the best to buy:

D-ARTS
Figuarts
Revoltech
Figma
Play Arts ?

I love my 2 figmas but don't have any of the others for comparison. Well, I have D-arts Mega Man but he's not really standard size, so again not good for comparison. I think inevitably you'll end up mixing and matching anyway when certain characters are from 1 line and then other characters are in another line.

Scavenger

so in terms of posable action figure types that are good quality what's the best to buy:

D-ARTS
Figuarts
Revoltech
Figma
Play Arts ?
I don't have any figma figures, but I do have to say that the quality of D-Arts/Figuarts is very good. Some of the Figuarts figures like the Kamen Rider figures have diecast parts which is pretty nice. Revoltech and Play-arts figures sometimes have quality issues, but generally they're not bad.

Just based on owning Link and Samus, I'd probably say Figma. However, I personally prefer something larger and I don't give a damn about the majority of their licenses.

alright thanks guys. it seems figma and D-ARTS are the best ones from this thread and some googling. Play Art seemes to have a lot of problems. I ordered a Charizard d-arts and Yukiko figma because it was cheap

LadyRiven

I pre-ordered the Pit + Dark Pit Figmas to go with my Link. I'm not a big Figma collector in particular, but these guys are a must-have for me!

I think it is possible that Link and Samus will be re-released some day because of their popularity. GoodSmile Company keeps a good eye on the figures that people really love and want and even did a poll a few months back that allowed you to vote on which figures of each line were most desired for a re-print. Here were the results for Nendoroids, Figmas and scaled figures.

I voted for a re-release of their 1/8 scale Holo every single day of the voting. She actually managed to get 10th place. She's pretty much my holy grail of figures so I really hope they re-release her.

Rootbeer

Banned
I wish we could get a Figma child link to go with Figma Pit and Dark Pit :) Oh well... will have to be happy with Skyward Sword Link.

So I finalized my Pit/Dark Pit order on amiami. I forgot to order them earlier. But I got in on the pre-order so I should be more than good. Can't wait :)

Deciding if I should get Kirito or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom