• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genei Ibunroku #FE New Character Trailers

Clawww

Would perfectly represent how Atlus has run what was a great idea into the ground into pandering idol garbage that doesn't even resemble a Shin Megami Tensei game other than spell names and maybe a Jack Frost cameo.

stay butthurt bro. is there a single thread for this game you haven't posted this same entitled, made-up drivel?

Hylian7

stay butthurt bro. is there a single thread for this game you haven't posted this same entitled, made-up drivel?

What's made up about it? The game was announced as a Shin Megami Tensei crossed with Fire Emblem. Now they barely even mention that it's Shin Megami Tensei, much less demons even being involved somehow. It's not an SMT game, it's basically turned into Persona at this point.

Honestly though I'm not as mad as I used to be about it though, seeing as Atlus has not abandoned SMT. SMT4 Final exists.

Hylian7

it's almost as if devs are required to stay the course the entire time

when are you gonna wake up?

Not really sure what you mean by that, as it makes no sense in this context.

To me, it's would be the equivalent of Konami cancelling a real Silent Hill game to make a Silent Hill pachinko machine to throw on the app store. Granted, I'm sure GIR#FE won't be THAT bad, but it is extremely disappointing to see it go this direction and basically not even be an SMT game anymore.

daevious

What's made up about it? The game was announced as a Shin Megami Tensei crossed with Fire Emblem. Now they barely even mention that it's Shin Megami Tensei, much less demons even being involved somehow. It's not an SMT game, it's basically turned into Persona at this point.

It was announced as a collaboration between Atlus and Intelligence Systems, and people jumped to assume that this meant a cross-over because of a work in progress name. To be fair, both companies should have made this clear to begin with, but the people who keep clinging onto that perception really need to let it go because it doesn't add anything new to the conversation.

Would perfectly represent how Atlus has run what was a great idea into the ground into pandering idol garbage that doesn't even resemble a Shin Megami Tensei game other than spell names and maybe a Jack Frost cameo.

I don't think you understand, this is what happens when you cross SMT and what has become of Fire Emblem. You end up with fan pandering modern day JRPG.

It just so happens that looks like persona. :p

Astral Dog

Honestly though I'm not as mad as I used to be about it though, seeing as Atlus has not abandoned SMT. SMT4 Final exists.

It was announced as a collaboration between Atlus and Intelligence Systems, and people jumped to assume that this meant a cross-over because of a work in progress name. To be fair, both companies should have made this clear to begin with, but the people who keep clinging onto that perception really need to let it go because it doesn't add anything new to the conversation.

I wonder if it will ever be a peaceful SMT X FE thread one day without mentioning this, at this point everybody should be aware what the game is and isnt to judge it on its own merits.
Nintendo made the mistake of announcing it too early, but everything else has been according to what Atlus wanted

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Yes, though the proper term is mirages, and not "performa" which is what their actual powers are.

Heh, Tharja being a bootlet Stand is so wacky, I can't help but be intrigued.

I assume everyone is just from Fire Emblem 1 and Awakening though?

Do people think if an SMT game is anime its Persona? This game is honestly very unpersona like. I am hype for it though, and P5, and SMTIV Final.

kiryogi

Banned
Do people think if an SMT game is anime its Persona? This game is honestly very unpersona like. I am hype for it though, and P5, and SMTIV Final.

The most entertaining thing of this whole #FE stuff is how everyone defines FE/SMT/Persona . Clearly not one clear definition to each series. :p

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

They might sneak in a ike or lin but yeah, they want the most modern/famous fire emblem, with the serie's most iconic and first which is fire emblem 1/shadow dragon because marth

The most entertaining thing of this whole #FE stuff is how everyone defines FE/SMT/Persona . Clearly not one clear definition to each series. :p

I mean to me Persona is a series that deals with Jungian psychology as its basis and it has a sleek anime presentation over all that, at least modern persona does, but id say that started taking place in Persona 2 too.

In my opinion I see aspects of several Megaten series in this game, but mostly SMT, Persona, and Devil Survivor.

Jiraiza

chara.png

cform.png

Quite liking Kiria myself. Can't say I'm too crazy about her Carnage Form or whatever it's called though.

You know, I liked her design a lot better when I thought she had short hair. But that braid going down the side is lame. Also her twintails form is awful. I thought it was another character this whole time.

Sakura

Quite liking Kiria myself. Can't say I'm too crazy about her Carnage Form or whatever it's called though.

Eh... I really don't like her design.
Why is her underwear showing?
Why does she wear an eyepatch?
And I don't think her 3D model looks as good as that 2D art there.
I doubt I will use her.

NeonZ

If they really keep 1 mirage per human character, yes, don't expect anyone from other games. They're barely able to represent those two as things stand.

"Mirages" are basically the demons replacement here as the otherworldly beings that have some connection to human emotions. Aside from mirages based on FE classes and characters, there are some enemy mirages based on mythological monsters, but they don't look like their demon designs either.

Ken

Eh... I really don't like her design.
Why is her underwear showing?
Why does she wear an eyepatch?
And I don't think her 3D model looks as good as that 2D art there.
I doubt I will use her.

She's great. Her henshin is awful though. Probably the worst one so far.

Tsubasa still my favorite.

SalvaPot

Oh man I see swimsuits. NOA probably gonna censor this pretty hard too. Gonna import the JP system bundle. Only 469 on Play-Asia!

They didn´t censor the trailers, I doubt they are censoring the game. Also I am sure this game is getting an M rating no matter what.

Vecks

If they ever do more Nintendo directs, I hope we get one for this game by the time it releases in Japan.

sörine

Banned
Well, I mean the announcement trailer where they literally showed SMT4 and Awakening characters crossing over probably also helped lead expectations. It wasn't just the project title, where we started and where we ended up are pretty clearly different.

I'm fine with the game evolving into it's own thing, even if it ends up not being exactly the thing I wanted. It's probably better for it longterm if they want to turn it into a series.

TEJ

I was pretty dissapointed after the initial reveal due to it not being anything like I wanted it to be but I have been slowly warming up to it these past few months. I need a new jrpg for my wii u (and yes, I have the xenoblade x special edition on preorder) so i'll give this game a chance.

Theosmeo

People complain about how the aesthetic isn't FE or SMT, and I understand that to some degree, but honestly that doesn't really effect it much for me. I never really expect crossover games to have solid aesthetics or story(see PLvAA and PxZ). Even if it did annoy me I´d probably still buy the game because I love the depth and strategy one has to think about in FE and SMT.

What turned me off from this game was the gameplay shown off in the direct. There´s no moving units OR fusing and recruiting demons. The battle system they showed off often seems like there´s one clear answer that just gives you extra turns or a goofy long idol singing animation. Usually a crossover will water down the gameplay of the original series to be more accessible, but this is just ridiculous. Considering that the gameplay was already simplified by Awakening, P4, and even SMT4(to a degree, it still has satisfying demon training), all I see is a lukewarm menu+jpop simulator. Sorry if this seems mean, but I´m sad to see such an interesting fusion of RPGs come out so half-baked .

FluxWaveZ

why

At least they had the good sense to not give him swimsuit DLC...? Possibly?

I'm perpetually confused at the reactions towards Barry in this game but, regardless, he'll most likely have a swimsuit costume of his own if he's playable (which he very much appears to be, with that screenshot and the fact that he's getting his own character trailer at some point).

You can see "and more..." in the swimsuit category pics for the male characters (as well as female):

Top Bottom