• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genei Ibunroku #FE New Character Trailers

Yeah but Black Knight isn't recent.

Radiant Dawn launched in the calendar year before shadow dragon in every region.
Lets not pretend that single year is enough to make people forget the main rival for some random knight who, quickly going through Serenesforest script, appears to have 4 lines of dialogue in shadow dragon. They essentially could have picked any knight at random from any of the games if that's enough for them to be included in a limited spin off.

I suspect more people would be able to recognise the black knight than Draug.
Plus, basically every character showed up as DLC in Awakening anyway.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Radiant Dawn launched in the calendar year before shadow dragon in every region.
Lets not pretend that single year is enough to make people forget the main rival for some random knight who, quickly going through Serenesforest script, appears to have 4 lines of dialogue in shadow dragon. They essentially could have picked any knight at random from any of the games if that's enough for them to be included in a limited spin off.
SD had the added reluctance through Cipher.

Barry Goodman? With that personality, I feel Neal Gaffman would have been a more fitting name.

I thought so at first too, but looking closer:
lmUu0Ut.png

That suit he's wearing doesn't seem like standard player battle costume. It could be a cutscene or maybe he's a special attack.

New screenshots from a new developer interview:

CR05xnIWcAAJxTx.jpg:orig

CR05xo-WoAASTg4.jpg:orig

The first confirms that Barry will be a playable character.

I'm still not going to fully believe he's a full party member.

Likewise I'm not sure if this status screen confirms Barry either. He could have a different display for his "status" than party members.

I honestly love Barry and really hope he's playable but I'm erring on the side of caution.

He just doesn't seem to be the type of guy who is party member to the other characters. He's so over the top and his role as trainer for them makes me think NPC. Also he was revealed with the little girl but was specifically not shown with a Mirage.

Escalario

Banned

I suspect more people would be able to recognise the black knight than Draug.
Plus, basically every character showed up as DLC in Awakening anyway.

See here's the thing. They aren't putting characters from Shadow Dragon. They're putting characters from the very first Fire Emblem and from the FE that revived the series and made it big again. IIRC, Akaneia is still the most famous region in Japan.

FluxWaveZ

Likewise I'm not sure if this status screen confirms Barry either. He could have a different display for his "status" than party members.

Yeah, with that trailer the way it is, I'm not sure he's actually going to be a full on part member, either. But the fact that he's in that status screen and that he appears in the arenas probably does mean he at least has a support role of some kind, and one which could be customized through that status screen.

See here's the thing. They aren't putting characters from Shadow Dragon. They're putting characters from the very first Fire Emblem and from the FE that revived the series and made it big again. IIRC, Akaneia is still the most famous region in Japan.

Which is a stupid decision. Nobody in shadow dragon is of any relevance at all to anything, or even slightly recognizable other than Marth, and maybe Shiida/Tiki.

You could literally put a generic general in the place of draug (same is true of basically every other character in the game with the appropriate class swapping) and it would have no effect on the game at all. This is true even more of the original game.

They should have picked either to go purely with awakening characters (+marth maybe) or just picked recognisable people from the entire history.

Escalario

Banned
Which is a stupid decision. Nobody in shadow dragon is of any relevance at all to anything, or even slightly recognizable other than Marth, and maybe Shiida/Tiki.

You could literally put a generic general in the place of draug (same is true of basically every other character in the game with the appropriate class swapping) and it would have no effect on the game at all. This is true even more of the original game.

They should have picked either to go purely with awakening characters (+marth maybe) or just picked recognisable people from the entire history.

So what you say is that the only character representing FE9/10 would be Ike, eh?

Golnei

So what you say is that the only character representing FE9/10 would be Ike, eh?

Even that would be a little too much, going off recognisability. Priam would be enough to represent 9 and 10 - he serves as both a homage to those games, while also having a connection to one which wasn't a dismal failure.

Although I would definitely have preferred the entire history of the series getting some representation, I've always gotten the impression that the Akenia crew, especially the very first people that started with Marth in Talis (Gordin, Draug, Kain+Abel, Shiida) along with some other early party members were seen as templates for other characters to the Japanese audience. I also recall hearing that until Awakening, the best selling Fire Emblem game in Japan was Mystery of the Emblem on the SNES (which had both Fire Emblem 3 and a remake of Fire Emblem 1). More older players, at least in Japan, may appreciate the recognition of those early teammates in the way that earlier Western players might prefer seeing Sain, Matthew, or Florina.

Even that would be a little too much, going off recognisability. Priam would be enough to represent 9 and 10 - he serves as both a homage to those games, while also having a connection to one which wasn't a dismal failure.

Eh, I think at least Ike would be recognizable enough thanks to Smash.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

This game is basically made with the japanese audience in mind, that isnt stupid at all, the crew who FE1/SD was represented in like 3 games, they more than likely are the most famously known, even if they werent the most sold.

NeonZ

Eh, I got into the series through FE3, and, in spite of the lack of dialogue, many of the units were pretty memorable just with their mugshots and gameplay function. I'd guess the same was true for the Japanese fans. It's actually one of the reasons I disliked the reclass system in Shadow Dragon, since it gives them even less identity.

Those characters are pretty much the reason we get various recurring characteristic elements through the series, like red and green cavaliers, a long haired swordsman, veteran paladin, etc. Of course, if you start with a later game, with more developed characters, and then go back and play FE3 or Shadow Dragon, they'll be more forgettable in comparison, since they'll just have less material than the characters in later games. But they still have the Awakening characters there for Western fans too.

Regarding Draug himself, he's pretty much a "pure" representation of a Knight/General, even with his extra characterization in New Mystery, honor bound and dutiful to protect his kingdom, which might be used to contrast with the girl associated with him here. Most other Knights/Generals who could replace him in that position would have some other gimmick associated with them, like Dolph's and Macellan's culinary, Kellam's lack of presence or, going beyond Awakening/Archanea, Gatrie's flirtatiousness, or they'd be basically the same thing as Draug only even less known, like Bors from FE6.

Vecks

That suit he's wearing doesn't seem like standard player battle costume. It could be a cutscene or maybe he's a special attack.

I could see it going either way. I haven't played many fire emblem games (haven't played any of the recent ones), but I remember there being beast people in some of them. Maybe that is his battle costume if he has some sort of animal-based mirage.

But it is strange that they haven't revealed his mirage in the trailer since every trailer so far is about mirages with their masters and introducing the voice actors for both.

If he was going to be a party member, I'd have thought that his Carnage form would be more likely to be this:

Although it is odd that they'd put out his trailer without revealing his Mirage. Unless he's a secret party member or something.

L Thammy

I get the feeling that Draug is matched with Mamori because they're both traditional or something like that. But I haven't played Shadow Dragon, so what do I know.

There's a screen where the party is divided into the main cast and sub cast, with the sub cast only providing support attacks. Maybe characters like Barry would only be able to be in the sub cast?

By the way, since we say the silhouettes of Draug and Tharja earlier, I'm guessing that whoever that is on the right is a playable character's Mirage as well. Whose it is I don't know.

I could see it going either way. I haven't played many fire emblem games (haven't played any of the recent ones), but I remember there being beast people in some of them. Maybe that is his battle costume if he has some sort of animal-based mirage.

But it is strange that they haven't revealed his mirage in the trailer since every trailer so far is about mirages with their masters and introducing the voice actors for both.

That suit is not from a Fire Emblem game I'm pretty sure.

Here is it more fully:

5603d09fe73ed.jpg

I get the feeling that Draug is matched with Mamori because they're both traditional or something like that. But I haven't played Shadow Dragon, so what do I know.

There's a screen where the party is divided into the main cast and sub cast, with the sub cast only providing support attacks. Maybe characters like Barry would only be able to be in the sub cast?

By the way, since we say the silhouettes of Draug and Tharja earlier, I'm guessing that whoever that is on the right is a playable character's Mirage as well. Whose it is I don't know.

The right silhouette is Virion

Draxal

Eh, Akaneia is still insanely popular, watch Barry's mirage be Hero Wrys. Radiant dawn also did not really do that well.

Vecks

That suit is not from a Fire Emblem game I'm pretty sure.

Here is it more fully:

5603d09fe73ed.jpg

But the transformations they take do not necessarily look like they are from fire emblem. Only the mirages themselves look like something out of fire emblem. The combat forms seem to be really loose interpretations. For example, Kiria's form in combat doesn't resemble tharja at all. Mamori's animal (bear? elephant?) armor is also pretty weird looking.

L Thammy

l_5624c17c04873.jpg

If the only references to SMT demons will be just these (Jack Frost store and Black Frost costume), I will be out.

I want to fight against them, and summon them if they become my allies.

I think there's already a series where you can do that.

l_5624c17c04873.jpg

If the only references to SMT demons will be just these (Jack Frost store and Black Frost costume), I will be out.

I wish people would finally learn to accept that this game isn't what they made up in their heads to be.

l_5624c17c04873.jpg

There's other SMT references in the screens there. Every store seems to be themed around a different demon.

Akhe

Kiria is really the best character so far.

brofist_o_519518.gif

Mah man!!

Not exactly "news," but I was checking out some old videos on youtube and discovered I had missed gamexplain's part 3 analysis which focuses on the battle system, since they released it rather late. I thought it was pretty good as usual. In case anyone else missed it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI1NqcqcGXQ

Thank you for the link!

Not exactly "news," but I was checking out some old videos on youtube and discovered I had missed gamexplain's part 3 analysis which focuses on the battle system, since they released it rather late. I thought it was pretty good as usual. In case anyone else missed it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI1NqcqcGXQ

Dunno but I'm hoping for it too.

My fingers are crossed!

As an SMT fan who loves my Wii U, I was all hyped up for this game but now I don't even know what the game is about O_O. I have to admit I'm not so hot about the "idol" angle. They've had their run in Japan and I don't think they're as relevant as they were in 2012. And Persona Dancing All Night was all about idols too. The idol theme has been played out by Atlus.

What is there to hype about Genei Ibun Iroku?

ohlawd

As an SMT fan who loves my Wii U, I was all hyped up for this game but now I don't even know what the game is about O_O. I have to admit I'm not so hot about the "idol" angle. They've had their run in Japan and I don't think they're as relevant as they were in 2012. And Persona Dancing All Night was all about idols too. The idol theme has been played out by Atlus.

the girls are cute

the VAs

vall03

The battle system? From what I've seen, it seems to be a nice mix between SMT system and FE weapon triangle. But this is just from what I saw in trailers, I think there are more cool stuff with the battle system.

Seriously, are people just looking at the idols and stuff then dismiss the game? But then again, I'm not particularly bothered by how SMTxFE turned out.

Vecks

If you've seen the trailers, what you see is what you get, so a lot of people are understandably not interested in it. But otherwise, at least to me, it looks to be a fun, light-hearted J-RPG in a modern setting with the stuff that you'd typically expect of out Atlus, like a pretty traditional combat system, many hours of gameplay, social links, neat dungeon themes, hopefully decent story, etc.

Sakura

Idols are a niche interest and these are niche games. Not that weird to me.
Not sure what you mean by 'the idol theme has been played out'. The games may feature idols, but it's not like that is what they are about.

It looks like it might be a fun game with likeable characters? :/

Cute anime girls

The inevitable SMT sudden grim dark injection

Ayane Sakura voices a character in the game
Atlus will deny me of this in its localization fuck fuuuuuuuuuck

Ahaha alright guys I see there is still something to hype about. The battle system does pique my interest a bit.

However, I must be getting old because cute anime girls don't appeal to me anymore even though I grew up lapping up all the anime I could like it was going out of style (probably also has to do with the fact that I'm female =P). I've never been hot on idols either. If I buy the game I would have to endure hours of the annoying high-pitched voices as my Wii U is JPN region. But I went though that with Persona Dancing All Night and I survived.

I'm definitely looking forward to this:
The inevitable SMT sudden grim dark injection
[/SPOILER]

The current screenshots and vids just look too bright, pastel-y, and cheerful for an SMT game, which makes alarm bells go off in my head.

Not sure what you mean by 'the idol theme has been played out'. The games may feature idols, but it's not like that is what they are about.

I haven't looked much into the story, but I had the impression that it's quite Persona-ish. They have "Performa"s, and in the vein of cliche anime storylines, I predict that it would be about the trials and tribulations of a popular idol learning to accept "her true self". So basically Persona Dancing storyline.

Sakura

I haven't looked much into the story, but I had the impression that it's quite Persona-ish. They have "Performa"s, and in the vein of cliche anime storylines, I predict that it would be about the trials and tribulations of a popular idol learning to accept "her true self". So basically Persona Dancing storyline.

Ok.
But it still wouldn't really be about idols.
P4D isn't really about idols either. It's about the people themselves and their problems. The idols are just a setting for it to make sense as a rhythm game.
They don't have 'performa's'. Performa is the energy that every body has but is more strongly possessed by those in entertainment (musicians etc).

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Yes, performas are the hidden powers within the main characters, the actual personal like characters are actually called mirages.

Top Bottom