• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genei Ibunroku #FE New Character Trailers

Golnei

I'm perpetually confused at the reactions towards Barry in this game but, regardless, he'll most likely have a swimsuit costume of his own if he's playable (which he very much appears to be, with that screenshot and the fact that he's getting his own character trailer at some point).

You can see "and more..." in the swimsuit category pics for the male characters (as well as female):

When we have more than enough guys in the party already, it's such a waste. I hope they get it over with soon, so that I can be appropriately disgusted.

When we have more than enough guys in the party already, it's such a waste. I hope they get it over with soon, so that I can be appropriately disgusted.

Huh? If we don't count Mirages, the only male party members officially revealed so far are Itsuki and Toma, compared to Tsubasa, Kiria, Eleonora and Mamori. Plus Maiko will probably end up being a party member too. Even if we include Barry, female party members easily outnumber male ones.

What turned me off from this game was the gameplay shown off in the direct. There´s no moving units OR fusing and recruiting demons. The battle system they showed off often seems like there´s one clear answer that just gives you extra turns or a goofy long idol singing animation. Usually a crossover will water down the gameplay of the original series to be more accessible, but this is just ridiculous. Considering that the gameplay was already simplified by Awakening, P4, and even SMT4(to a degree, it still has satisfying demon training), all I see is a lukewarm menu+jpop simulator. Sorry if this seems mean, but I´m sad to see such an interesting fusion of RPGs come out so half-baked .

Combat doesn't look especially dumbed down to me. Seeing as it's been made by Atlus, it's going to be closer to Megaten games, so it's not an SRPG, but the only battles we've seen they outright said that they were using an over powered party, so we can't really get a good judge of the balance from that. It looks like there's plenty of aspects to the combat too, there's certainly more skill types than most megaten games, and it looks like the turn order will play a part in things too. Other RPG's manage to have decent combat systems without negotiation, so just because this isn't using specific elements from Fire Emblem or SMT, doesn't mean that it will end up dumbed down. If nothing else, looking at the history of the developers on this, I expect them to get the combat right.

FluxWaveZ

Huh? If we don't count Mirages, the only male party members officially revealed so far are Itsuki and Toma, compared to Tsubasa, Kiria, Eleonora and Mamori. Plus Maiko will probably end up being a party member too. Even if we include Barry, female party members easily outnumber male ones.

Pretty sure that's sarcasm and Golnei is okay with Barry and his "Bara bod" or whatever the hell have people going on about him.

NeonZ

Combat doesn't look especially dumbed down to me. Seeing as it's been made by Atlus, it's going to be closer to Megaten games, so it's not an SRPG, but the only battles we've seen they outright said that they were using an over powered party, so we can't really get a good judge of the balance from that. It looks like there's plenty of aspects to the combat too, there's certainly more skill types than most megaten games, and it looks like the turn order will play a part in things too. Other RPG's manage to have decent combat systems without negotiation, so just because this isn't using specific elements from Fire Emblem or SMT, doesn't mean that it will end up dumbed down. If nothing else, looking at the history of the developers on this, I expect them to get the combat right.

The combat itself seems like Megaten with some changed physical attack types, but it's the team building so far that really seems very simplified. Without swappable Mirages, it seems like this will play like a dumbed down SMT-game since there doesn't seem to be any kind of system for character building.

FluxWaveZ

You sound so tired; I had no idea this weighed so heavily on your soul.

Oh, don't get me wrong, Barry looks (kinda) cool and is a welcome addition to the roster. I've just been more confused at the different reactions people have had toward him specifically since the reveal compared to any other character in the game.

rhandino

Banned
The combat itself seems like Megaten with some changed physical attack types, but it's the team building so far that really seems very simplified. Without swappable Mirages, it seems like this will play like a dumbed down SMT-game since there doesn't seem to be any kind of system for character building.
We don't know that yet... and since they are taking inspiration from Fire Emblem they could implement something akin to Promotion / Re-Classing to make Party Customization as deep.

Pretty sure that's sarcasm and Golnei is okay with Barry and his "Bara bod" or whatever the hell have people going on about him.
I just want to put him in this costume tho.

j01FpfF.jpg

EDIT: tbh, he just looks really cool and different from other characters from ATLUS so idk, I like his design a lot =P

L Thammy

Looks it like it says
Lv. 23
Kiria X Tharja
Dark Mage

Which again leads me to hope that the Mirages are swappable, since they could have Kiria X Whoever. All that we've seen consistently show the Mirages separately. They have their own mugshot on the status screen, for example. Maybe every combination has its own class and level.

Vecks

Looks it like it says
Lv. 23
Kiria X Tharja
Dark Mage

Which again leads me to hope that the Mirages are swappable, since they could have Kiria X Whoever. All that we've seen consistently show the Mirages separately. They have their own mugshot on the status screen, for example. Maybe every combination has its own class and level.

The latest interview seems to say that mirages will not be swappable since there is supposed to be importance to the relationships of characters with the mirages. It does seem to confirm the ability for mirages to transform, although they haven't specified the details of that.

L Thammy

The latest interview seems to say that mirages will not be swappable since there is supposed to be importance to the relationships of characters with the mirages. It does seem to confirm the ability for mirages to transform, although they haven't specified the details of that.

Lame. :(

As an aside, considering that Barry's supposed to be an otaku, can we call him "Fatlus"?

FluxWaveZ

Do you mean the latest interview where those two screenshots are from. Is there any full translation floating around?

It seems to tease a Wyvern Rider Mirage.

Lunar15

I assumed we'd keep getting party members until a bunch of the FE classes were covered. I'll be honest, I've only been reading a minimum of stuff, so I'm not sure how mirages work or how they're tied to a character.

L Thammy

I assumed we'd keep getting party members until a bunch of the FE classes were covered. I'll be honest, I've only been reading a minimum of stuff, so I'm not sure how mirages work or how they're tied to a character.

You probably know most of the information we have; there isn't a lot. Characters get their character class from the Mirage they fuse with, there might be an overworld ability that some Mirages have (seen in the Treehouse trailer with Chrom's enemy info ability). They also have their own bar in the status screen that looks like an experience meter, but it didn't go up at all during the Treehouse demo and might have been maxed out.

Vecks

Do you mean the latest interview where those two screenshots are from. Is there any full translation floating around?

It seems to tease a Wyvern Rider Mirage.

I haven't seen a translation yet, but yeah, that's the one that talks a little about that.

We already have quite a few party members. Most are just not officially revealed yet, and their classes/mirages are still a mystery.

L Thammy

Is anyone really curious as to what classes are remaining?

Lord (Itsuki Aoi)
Tactician
Cavalier (Toma Akagi)
Knight (Mamori Minamoto)
Myrmidon
Thief (Yashiro Tsurugi)
Fighter
Mercenary
Archer (Eleonora Yumizuru)
Dark Mage (Kiria Kurono)
Mage
Cleric
Troubadour
Pegasus Knight (Tsubasa Oribe)
Wyvern Rider​

I guess there could be a Manakete or Taguel in there too. We've apparently got a Wyvern Rider, and Barry and Maiko will take up another two. Maybe Cleric and Fighter?

Golnei

II guess there could be a Manakete or Taguel in there too. We've apparently got a Wyvern Rider, and Barry and Maiko will take up another two. Maybe Cleric and Fighter?

I half-expect they'll fit a manakete mirage in there somewhere, but at the same time; Tiki's already in the game; and she's by far the most prominent Archanea manakete. Taguels have no chance.

L Thammy

Ōkami;182644521 said:
If there was any doubt, Barry is indeed a playable character.

He just got his trailer today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hCD8E5cJGE

Also trailer for Mamori

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81TfFl_M0bY

Thanks. I wonder if that rock star costume is Barry's Carnage form? It looks like he has a bloodstained battleaxe for a guitar. Maybe we'll get some metal songs.

From Mamori's trailer we briefly see what looks like a duet attack with Tiki. And note how her music style is more old-fashioned.

Sakura

Man I cannot stand those stereotypical fake gaijin accents. Don't think I can go through the whole game listening to that. He will not be in my party :(

Also I hope this game has romance options :)

Wait, how does Barry's trailer confirm playable character?

It doesn't show him actual gameplay combat and there's no appearance of his Mirage.

It doesn't show him actual gameplay combat and there's no appearance of his Mirage.

He's in the battle arena for a couple scenes and he's wielding that ax. Guess he's a fighter or something along those lines though maybe he doesn't have a proper mirage.

Luigiv

Ōkami;182644521 said:
If there was any doubt, Barry is indeed a playable character.

He just got his trailer today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hCD8E5cJGE

Barry Goodman? With that personality, I feel Neal Gaffman would have been a more fitting name.

I thought so at first too, but looking closer:
lmUu0Ut.png

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Barry's voice is way too over the top, and mamori offically has the best song of the game so far.

Golnei

The series that Barry is super otaku about. Check his tshirt out in the the trailer.

I really hope he's voiced by Robin Atkin Downes in the localisation. This series is no Pure White Lover Bizarre Jelly 5, but it has the potential for something greater.

Top Bottom