• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 4.0 (Fontaine) - Je m'appelle "la baleine"

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
I was contemplating getting one but ultimately decided not to get it. Don't know where I'd put it anyway. Still one of the better pieces of merchandise though. Most of them are just acrylic stands, key chains and other tat.

Pejo

Gold Member
I'm happy with my Mona fig. I'd buy a Eula/Shenhe one if they make them down the road, and if they were of comparable quality. The Keqing one seemed off slightly in pictures.

Pejo

Gold Member
I saw one of Ayaka up for pre-order which looks great too.
I think she is one of the most boring characters in the game, personally. I had to look up the fig after you mentioned it though, it does look pretty good, quality-wise. It's usually the face that is the make/break for me. Sometimes they just look off in the face.

I had to laugh when I saw that they wanted to immortalize her dancing in water with socks on for her fig though:
FIGURE-154909_18.jpg

Pejo

Gold Member
Man, I ran out of Mora again. Just a few weeks ago I was sitting at around 11 million too. Talents sure are a bitch.

Pejo

Gold Member
Special Program on the 23rd. I don't think there's a thing that's gonna be shown here that hasn't been leaked, but we'll see.

5j6awnqlpa7b1.jpg

Yoimiya official birthday art. I really like this one:

FzHluCZXwAAgZUk

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
I expected as much. They've been making baffling decisions for a while now. Does MHY have any shareholders? I wonder how they feel about their insistence to pander to a market that doesn't spend.

The first female 5-star might turn out to be the archon then. I wonder how that would affect sales. People can just save up primos and get her for free. Maybe they're hoping people will go broke on the archon, and then tempt them with other characters?

BJK

They always drop Zhongli right around the characters I’m interested in…so I assume he’ll be up within a patch of the next Archon. I’ve stocked 110+ pulls, and have drawn to soft pity, so here’s to hoping I don’t need double pity for Fontaine’s Archon.

Pejo

Gold Member
I expected as much. They've been making baffling decisions for a while now. Does MHY have any shareholders? I wonder how they feel about their insistence to pander to a market that doesn't spend.
Nope, MHY is a private company. No shareholders to appease. Only the CCP and now apparently this ultra powerful feminist group that CN fans say have been trying to ruin the game for a while? At first I was like, "yea yea the feminist boogieman", but bro, I don't know anymore. Ever since Dehya's shockingly awful kit, it's been one bad decision and revenue decline after another. I know they just released Star Rail so resources have gone into that, but it's been 2 dead patches in that game in a row literally right after its release. Maybe they're stretching themselves too thin.
The first female 5-star might turn out to be the archon then. I wonder how that would affect sales. People can just save up primos and get her for free. Maybe they're hoping people will go broke on the archon, and then tempt them with other characters?
Well due to the megaleaks, they're expecting the first female won't be the archon for story reasons - supposedly it's a surprise when she turns into archon form where her stupid outfit turns into kind of a water ballroom gown. So they won't make her playable until that moment happens in the story. Idk. We don't even know which characters are 4* and 5* right now, so it's anybody's guess.

After combing the leaks, I'm just kinda bummed on Fontaine altogether. The areas, the character designs, etc are all less/worse than I was hoping. It hurts because Fontaine was the nation I was most hyped about at launch. As it stands, there are 4 characters I think are decent, none that I'm super excited about other than Bloodborne girl, but they'll probably go with her worse design iteration just to spite me. Guess I'll just hope Natlan/Schnez are better.

They always drop Zhongli right around the characters I’m interested in…so I assume he’ll be up within a patch of the next Archon. I’ve stocked 110+ pulls, and have drawn to soft pity, so here’s to hoping I don’t need double pity for Fontaine’s Archon.
It should be about time for a full Archon rerun schedule, so I'm sure he'll be around.

*edit*

Just a bit of cringe with a side of swimsuits for you all

To be fair though, if the US did this, the total weight of the event would probably go up by 1.5 tons.

Last edited:

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
Nope, MHY is a private company. No shareholders to appease. Only the CCP and now apparently this ultra powerful feminist group that CN fans say have been trying to ruin the game for a while? At first I was like, "yea yea the feminist boogieman", but bro, I don't know anymore. Ever since Dehya's shockingly awful kit, it's been one bad decision and revenue decline after another. I know they just released Star Rail so resources have gone into that, but it's been 2 dead patches in that game in a row literally right after its release. Maybe they're stretching themselves too thin.
Apparently they're making an Animal Crossing type game next. Would fit your theories.

Well due to the megaleaks, they're expecting the first female won't be the archon for story reasons - supposedly it's a surprise when she turns into archon form where her stupid outfit turns into kind of a water ballroom gown. So they won't make her playable until that moment happens in the story. Idk. We don't even know which characters are 4* and 5* right now, so it's anybody's guess.
That's gonna be a long, drawn out story then. One that will lack any impact because everyone and their mom already knows who the archon is. We could be looking at 4.3 or 4.4 before she's playable. Might not even be this year. The wait for Kusanali in 3.2 felt long already.

After combing the leaks, I'm just kinda bummed on Fontaine altogether. The areas, the character designs, etc are all less/worse than I was hoping. It hurts because Fontaine was the nation I was most hyped about at launch. As it stands, there are 4 characters I think are decent, none that I'm super excited about other than Bloodborne girl, but they'll probably go with her worse design iteration just to spite me. Guess I'll just hope Natlan/Schnez are better.
My Welkin just expired a couple days ago, and I'm not renewing at this time despite still having some funds left over on my Google account. The future looks bleak for this game. All we can hope is that it's a passing thing. But even if the game improves eventually, that hardly makes up for the months and months of bad content and pacing. People will start asking themselves if it's worth continuing, and many will stop playing. Do they just not understand that or what? I'd love to know what's going on behind the scenes there.

But I guess I can't judge until Fontaine spawns into the game. Maybe it'll be a positive surprise. Just maybe.

Pejo

Gold Member
Apparently they're making an Animal Crossing type game next. Would fit your theories.
Man, with ZZZ releasing this year too, that's a lot of live service games for one company to support. Hopefully they've been expanding with employees and scope to handle all of this. Even then, you'd have to wonder if the core talented individuals are getting dispersed throughout various projects and ripped from Genshin. It's already blatantly obvious that the art style, character designs, and story for Honkai Impact has declined in the past 6 months. It's a concensus from the fanbase that something changed and the new people in charge just didn't know what made the game appealing to begin with. Now we're seeing the same thing in Genshin. Wonder if they are just moving the ultra talented guys from project to project to get them jump-started then moving the interns in for long-term support.
That's gonna be a long, drawn out story then. One that will lack any impact because everyone and their mom already knows who the archon is. We could be looking at 4.3 or 4.4 before she's playable. Might not even be this year. The wait for Kusanali in 3.2 felt long already.
Yea it's just a theory anyways. I am not particularly hyped for Focalors anyways, so it doesn't really matter to me. I'll roll her because (archon) but it's not like I'm salivating to have her join the ranks.
My Welkin just expired a couple days ago, and I'm not renewing at this time despite still having some funds left over on my Google account. The future looks bleak for this game. All we can hope is that it's a passing thing. But even if the game improves eventually, that hardly makes up for the months and months of bad content and pacing. People will start asking themselves if it's worth continuing, and many will stop playing.
I'm still doing Welkin, only because it's super cost effective and I'm sure I'll pull on a character at some point. No more BP though since even I (a guy that built almost every charater he owns) don't need most of those mats anymore, and I have all of the weapons at this point, most of them R5. I actually right now have the most primogems that I've ever had at one time in my account. Won't be pulling in 3.8 either, and if 4.0 is garter belt twink, won't be pulling there either. I have a feeling I'm not the only one.

Do they just not understand that or what? I'd love to know what's going on behind the scenes there.
Yea THOSE are the leaks I'd be really interested in. Not individual character arts and concept art, but general morale of the developers, and directives from the project leads and why the hell they're steering the game into a ditch when they know VERY obviously what sells and what the general fanbase wants. There's a meme going around that Tiffany is the one sabotaging the game, from a developer diary. They show her removing shading from Dehya's ass so you can't see the curves.
But I guess I can't judge until Fontaine spawns into the game. Maybe it'll be a positive surprise. Just maybe.
Here's hoping. I was still hoping Fontaine was going to be a seedy phantom thief/noire/steampunk type experience, but it's more just caves and waterfalls and open land again based on the concept arts. I'm sure they've got an interesting gimmick or two planned at least.

crumbs

There's definitely a greater sense of fatigue compared to other dry patches in v1 or v2. For v3.7, I've been checking in occasionally, but none of this patch's events are interesting and I don't need resources, so why bother?

The big question going forward is: Do the devs have enough ideas left to support this game for another 3-4 years?

Sumeru was fun to explore, but the addition of dendro is what drove me to add characters and spend time with the game through multiple versions. What will the new gameplay mechanics be for the remaining regions? Will it be enough to keep this game interesting 4, 5, 6 years after it released? The Fontaine leaks are not filling me with confidence, but I'll try to stay open minded.

Pejo

Gold Member
There's definitely a greater sense of fatigue compared to other dry patches in v1 or v2. For v3.7, I've been checking in occasionally, but none of this patch's events are interesting and I don't need resources, so why bother?

The big question going forward is: Do the devs have enough ideas left to support this game for another 3-4 years?

Sumeru was fun to explore, but the addition of dendro is what drove me to add characters and spend time with the game through multiple versions. What will the new gameplay mechanics be for the remaining regions? Will it be enough to keep this game interesting 4, 5, 6 years after it released? The Fontaine leaks are not filling me with confidence, but I'll try to stay open minded.
I wonder if a Geo/Physical rework is in the cards. They have to know that these two "elements" have been left in the dust, mostly because of Dendro changing the landscape of what reactions are the most useful/powerful. Hydro, Dendro, Electro and Anemo are all in good spots, in my opinion.

Pyro they stopped improving on after Xiangling and Hu Tao tainted the communities' perception of a "strong" character, now they seem scared to make a strong/good Pyro character. That can easily be saved with Natlan though.

Cryo I think is also in line for some sort of buffing. Freeze used to be great but now almost anything worth fighting can't be frozen anymore, so it's lost about half of its usefulness because you also can't shatter what you can't freeze.

Physical is strong in some situations, but since there is no "physical" reaction, I think it still needs a buff of some sort to bring it in line with other elements. Maybe a base crit/crit damage increase or an inherent defense shred or something along those lines. Superconduct helps but it's not exciting and the reaction itself doesn't add enough benefits.

Geo though, whew. It's never been good, and if you're using Zhongli, it's completely superfluous because the shields don't stack and his shield will always outlast the crystallize shields. The crystallize shields themselves are awful and not worth slotting a Geo character in for. People in this thread have come up with great ideas to just give you buffs while you're protected by crystallize shields based on the elements. It should be easy to implement, and it even gives you a reason to still try to dodge even if you're shielded so you keep the buffs up. Baffling how MHY hasn't thought of this yet.

Anyways, that was a lot of words to say that I think reworking some of the elements is in their best interest, and could give a shot of life into the game in the upcoming years.

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
I don't think they'll ever go back and change elements/characters in a big way. There'd be no end to it because so many characters suck ass or are left behind in the meta. They're too lazy to do all that. Instead they will keep on introducing enemies that necessitate using certain elements/mechanics and put them in the abyss to make them relevant again.

• Surprised
Reactions: Fuz

Pejo

Gold Member
I don't think they'll ever go back and change elements/characters in a big way. There'd be no end to it because so many characters suck ass or are left behind in the meta. They're too lazy to do all that. Instead they will keep on introducing enemies that necessitate using certain elements/mechanics and put them in the abyss to make them relevant again.
I'm still hoping that the level 100 uncap buffs all the underperformers with new passives. I know it's pure copium at this point, but it's all I got left for characters like Dehya and Amber.

Pejo

Gold Member
Finally got through organizing about half of my artifacts. Sent over 600 of them through the recycler to try to get a good Crit Damage set of Blizzard Strayer for Shenhe. Not a single (1) Crit Damage hat in the entire selection. Holy fuck is this game stingy with its artifacts. Got a few minor feather/flower upgrades though, I guess.

I had been saving them hoping that they would be adding more sets to be selected, since I need a really good Pale Flame set for Eula, but I got real tired of stopping and leveling up artifacts after every other boss battle because my inventory was full.

Also finished up all the available events in one big swoop. The worst boss in the boss rush event was definnitely the flying robot one that spent like 60% of the whole fight in the air and backing away from the player. Still, since you didn't have to pick a timer, you could just knock him out of the sky and beat him that way. I was really glad that the timer was optional here, ended up getting all of the rewards with no sweat, didn't even use Zhongli. Faze trials is another weak fart event that takes no thought or effort. I did the first 2 stages, but I'll wait until the last day to binge the rest of them.

BJK

While I begrudgingly like Klee during these summer events, I’m not pulling on her banner, and I have Eula. With my 2 least-favorite 5-stars on the second half banner (Wanderer and no-Crit Barbara), my primogems are safe for another patch.

Fuz

Banned
My Welkin just expired a couple days ago, and I'm not renewing at this time despite still having some funds left over on my Google account. The future looks bleak for this game. All we can hope is that it's a passing thing. But even if the game improves eventually, that hardly makes up for the months and months of bad content and pacing. People will start asking themselves if it's worth continuing, and many will stop playing. Do they just not understand that or what? I'd love to know what's going on behind the scenes there.
Your perception is skewed. They're still raking in billions.
Just a bit of cringe with a side of swimsuits for you all

To be fair though, if the US did this, the total weight of the event would probably go up by 1.5 tons.
This is incredibly surprising to me, I've been in a water park in Korea and every-fucking-one had a t-shirt or something on them. Old, young, inside the water, on the slides, whatever. EVERY FUCKING ONE. Except me and my Sardinian friend, fuck their stupid social norms.
...who?

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
This is incredibly surprising to me, I've been in a water park in Korea and every-fucking-one had a t-shirt or something on them. Old, young, inside the water, on the slides, whatever. EVERY FUCKING ONE. Except me and my Sardinian friend, fuck their stupid social norms.
Well Korea does have some pretty harsh beauty standards. Interesting though. Americans in public pools don't seem to have any issue letting it all hang out (not in a good way).
If I find the picture again, I'll post it.

MHY's website team is on point for this 3.8 event website. I'm impressed.

Pejo

Gold Member
Supposedly all characters will be able to swim, not just Traveler. Apparently that water attack is a gadget?

Also, all of the major event patch freebies for the game so far, kinda falling into a pattern.

hmq2b1ioxx7b1.png

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
FdlRius.jpg
The rumored rarity of leaked characters. Could be worse. Still a shame about Lynette. They definitely made the wrong call there.

Edit: Just read a message that the last new limited 5-star female character was Nahida back in 3.2. If there's no female characters in 4.1 and 4.2, it will have been about a year since the last one. That's crazy. Technically there was Dehya, but she's not limited. And well, look at the state she's in...

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Neuvillette (super french name) catalyst and Wristocazzo spear.

Guess the skip never ends. Maybe I'd better pull for Eula or Kakkomi...

Edit: "Dahlia", "boy"
2Rce3.gif

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
FdlRius.jpg
The rumored rarity of leaked characters. Could be worse. Still a shame about Lynette. They definitely made the wrong call there.
Part of me thinks that HuTaoLover is just going through attention withdrawal and pulled all of these (except the obvious ones like Arlecchino) out of his ass. He's been making weird/unprovable claims in turbo mode ever since the megaleak and coping pretty hard since it dropped because now he can't drip feed us leaks for 6+ months with no new information. I despise the leaker mindset even if I approve of knowing stuff early.

Anyways, out of the small handful I'm interested in, half are 4* female, so we know they're gonna suck ass. Here's hoping Bloodborne and Skirk are good. I am actually pretty excited to see Focalors' transformation now that we know about it. Wonder if it will improve her design substantially?

And yea, I posted that "no new limited 5* females since Nahida" on the previous page. It's bullshit. The feminist regulations stuff sounds more believable all the time.

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
Part of me thinks that HuTaoLover is just going through attention withdrawal and pulled all of these (except the obvious ones like Arlecchino) out of his ass. He's been making weird/unprovable claims in turbo mode ever since the megaleak and coping pretty hard since it dropped because now he can't drip feed us leaks for 6+ months with no new information. I despise the leaker mindset even if I approve of knowing stuff early.
Oh, is he the source for this one? I don't really keep up with the drama, but that could definitely be true. There's some questionable stuff in this list for sure.

Anyways, out of the small handful I'm interested in, half are 4* female, so we know they're gonna suck ass. Here's hoping Bloodborne and Skirk are good. I am actually pretty excited to see Focalors' transformation now that we know about it. Wonder if it will improve her design substantially?
Bloodborne is absolutely the standout. I'm kind of into the geo lady too, but she's rumored to go on the standard banner and her element sucks. I also like Chiori quite a bit. Skirk and Arlecchino might be interesting but I feel like it's too early to get excited for them. Who knows when and if they'll be playable.

Will that transformation affect her playable character at all? I have a bad feeling it won't.

And yea, I posted that "no new limited 5* females since Nahida" on the previous page. It's bullshit. The feminist regulations stuff sounds more believable all the time.
I just hadn't processed that it will be a year since the last one. That's just insane. I get that they might want to restore the balance a bit (though I'm not sure how male and female characters stack up) but the schedule could use some work regardless.

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
Interesting, apparently all Fontaine weapons are gonna have 2 "glows" when they're upgraded past level 50, one for each faction you can potentially join in Fontaine.

This is just a concept using broken pines, not the actual weapons:

WTz8v8p.jpeg

Fuz

Banned
I'm not sure WHY THE FUCK, but Yoimiya arrows are much more imprecise than other archers. Fighting on slopes is (even more, thanks stupid close camera) atrocious.
I thought you people were exaggerating the issue. I was wrong.

Interesting, apparently all Fontaine weapons are gonna have 2 "glows" when they're upgraded past level 50, one for each faction you can potentially join in Fontaine.

This is just a concept using broken pines, not the actual weapons:

WTz8v8p.jpeg
Imma gonna go evil.
UHiZV.gif

Last edited:

crumbs

Haven't been checking in everyday, but I received my Amazon/Twitch promotional glider a couple of days ago via in-game mail.

Edit: I was mistaken, I think the glider mail came yesterday (Sunday).

Last edited:
  • Treasure

Pejo

Gold Member
Haven't been checking in everyday, but I received my Amazon/Twitch promotional glider a couple of days ago via in-game mail.
did you get a code or it just showed up? That probably means I missed too many because I didn't get shit.

deanote666

Gold Member
I don't even attempt this type of event. I did the hilichurls one twice and only ever "won" more rolls on the even which eventualy all lost. Just a total waste of time, IMO.
Different kind of event. Guaranteed in game rewards, chance for IRL stuff

Pejo

Gold Member
I really like this Shinobu art:

*edit*

Just did all of the remaining Faze Trials tonight, I actually had the most fun with the Geo team. I dunno if I would like that for everything, and the Energy Recharge was amped up to 11, but as it was, it was actually really fun just going caveman on those enemies.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Just did all of the remaining Faze Trials tonight, I actually had the most fun with the Geo team. I dunno if I would like that for everything, and the Energy Recharge was amped up to 11, but as it was, it was actually really fun just going caveman on those enemies.
Itto is a whirlwind of schiaffazzi.
Told you guys. Really a shame he's Geo, what would I give for him to be switched to pyro...

Top Bottom