• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Kamitani responds to Kotaku

DaBuddaDa

This debacle has finally made me stop visiting Kotaku permanently.

As much as jschreier has made strides by engaging NeoGAF and commenting on journalism issues, this whole thing left a real bad taste in my mouth. One step forward, two steps back.

7Th

Bonus items are like the many telephoto cards with special illustrations based from the game on offer. Majority ARE about the female characters. Check out AmiAmi for examples in their video game section.

They aren't ignoring Elf, right? ;_;

That stealth brag.

It's magic.

Also, really...this whole thing is ridiculous. I'm a dude so I can't speak with authority (and someone else here that can do so, please go for it), but I feel like yes, she's sexualized, but there are so, so many more examples of women that aren't even playable that you could speak volumes about.

From the Kotaku article:

Throughout the week, we've been in touch with Kamitani in hopes of getting his side of the story.

I'm sorry but, what story?

'Oversensitive blogger gets upset by some cartoon boobs'? That story? It's ridiculous that Jason Schreier thinks that his voicing his dislike of said cartoon boobs is enough to constitute a 'story'.

Kamitani needn't have felt the pressured to defend his art.

Raist

Banned
The whole knight in shiny armor thing form Schreier is a bit ridiculous.

Also

Because I love Japanese games and Japanese RPGs and I don't want them to perpetuate the ugly "boys' club" mentality that has pervaded gaming for almost three decades now.

Not sure how he can love japanase games and RPGs if he's so outraged by Dragon's Crown.

sleepykyo

I have such a hard time buying the argument that the writer truly believes this sort of thing is "toxic" or "damaging" when the person saying it posts an article framed like that. He very well may, and I'm sure he'll pop up in here and mention it, but the impression I get is that there's no real conviction perceived behind it, regardless of his actual feelings.

Funnily enough while Jason Schierer continues his campaign against sexism by picking the easiest target possible, Brian Ashcroft is running the Korean beauty pageant thing about Miss Daegu. Starting to see why feminism is white cultural imperialism appeared in the femen protest thread.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure how he can love japanase games and RPGs if he's so outraged by Dragon's Crown.

You can love em but still want them to "grow up" so to speak. I think that goes for all forms of media. The issue is when that comes to cross purposes with a stylistic choice like this.

akaoni

Banned
I am not sure if I can implement the critiques from him and others around the internet into my future artistic creations, but I will definitely keep in mind that these opinions are out there and affect people on a personal level.

This is a very polite way of telling you he doesn't give a shit, nice guy. More Kotaku linkbait at the end of the day, their practices are vindicated and the cycle continues.

I don’t harbor any ill-will to Jason Schreier for the article he originally posted about the Sorceress or his follow-up. Although it may be negative feedback, I am very thankful for having one of our titles being covered. I do understand what Jason and the rest of the discussions on the internet are saying for the most part. I am not sure if I can implement the critiques from him and others around the internet into my future artistic creations, but I will definitely keep in mind that these opinions are out there and affect people on a personal level. I feel that any form of media content faces death when it doesn’t receive attention at all. So, be it criticism or support, I am truly thankful for the people talking about Dragon’s Crown and the people discovering Vanillaware for the first time.

Success.

Acknowledgement of the problem, and an understanding that criticism isn't an attempt to censure him.

Nice, level-headed response, and basically confirms what many of us considered the intent of his designs.

Honestly, I understand people feel he shouldn't have to apologize, but the dwarf response on facebook was most assuredly misconstrued as saying something he apparently didn't intend, and apologies don't cost anyone anything and can only convey respect. It was the right thing to do.

I'll just say that it's interesting that Kotaku still doesn't have a story up about the Elf gameplay video. There's a female character in the game that isn't sexualized at all, but they don't seem to care about it. And that goes for some other sites that were quick to jump all over the Sorceress design but still don't have a story up about the Elf.

I still can't comprehend how people are defending the dwarf art response.

I'll just say that it's interesting that Kotaku still doesn't have a story up about the Elf gameplay video. There's a female character in the game that isn't sexualized at all, but they don't seem to care about it. And that goes for some other sites that were quick to jump all over the Sorceress design but still don't have a story up about the Elf.

The same way that the news don't report on sunny days without murders. You report on the things that out of the extraordinary, not on what is supposed to be normal.

grumble

what a nice guy and what a shame kotaku didnt question him about it BEFORE writing their horrible articles, despite constantly complaining themselves about the same thing.

None of this is news to me or anyone not desperately reaching for outrage clickbait though.

A perfect example of why gaming journalism is NOT JOURNALISM. You always get all sides of the story wherever possible, and they seemed more than happy to speak up.

jschreier

We don't put up posts for every single trailer from every single game. We do try to give voices to as many people as possible, including the developers that we criticize. As I explained in the article, it took a few days to get this letter up, thanks to timezones and the language barrier. But I'm glad we were able to get Mr. Kamitani's perspective on our website.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Jason Schreier describing huge boobs as lolicon which has one of the definitions (on Wikipedia) as the sexual attraction to prepubescent girls is so dumb.

If I didn't see the post on GAF myself, I would have thought it's someone trying to make up "Shit That Kotaku says."

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I really don't think Kamitani should be the one doing this when Schreier insulted him and his work multiple times, but it's classy for Kamitani to be the better man and try to take things on peacefully.

sakipon

I still can't comprehend how people are defending the dwarf art response.

He doesn't speak English. I think mostly the comment was a problem since it didn't explain why he posted the dwarf image. It was a misunderstanding and Kotaku should've waited for his translated explanation before posting assumptions.

The character is question does have a ridiculous design, but then again, so is every one else in the game.

Giant boobs and butt isn't really any different from giant treetrunk legs or car sides upper bodies. It's just another exaggerated body style.

OSHAN

I haven't really been following this, so I apologize if it has been covered, but the dwarf response--wasn't it essentially, "Okay, you don't like big boobs on women; how about big manly men, do you like them?"

I'm assuming that was the reasoning, though his explanation in the letter isn't exactly that.

Wow what the hell this actually pisses me off. What is this guy doing apologizing. If he got in trouble for this, and I'm never one to jump on this wagon, but fuck kotaku.

We don't put up posts for every single trailer from every single game. We do try to give voices to as many people as possible, including the developers that we criticize. As I explained in the article, it took a few days to get this letter up, thanks to timezones and the language barrier. But I'm glad we were able to get Mr. Kamitani's perspective on our website.

Here's your sites story for the Fighter

http://kotaku.com/http-www-youtube-com-watch-v-iys4exz6f1q-look-at-this-470821192

And Dwarf

http://kotaku.com/http-www-youtube-com-watch-v-eeuwwak3ifi-the-newest-t-476411741

Obviously there's one for the Sorceress as well. So where's the Elf?

RMI

Banned

I'm sure you are!

Unfortunately Kotaku, Gamasutra, and Penny Arcade Report and who knows how many other outlets have already dragged this poor guy through the mud with their sensationalist bullshit. Nice work, guys. Way to get eachother's backs while you shit all over the artists who provide you with content.

He doesn't speak English. I think mostly the comment was a problem since it didn't explain why he posted the dwarf image. It was a misunderstanding and Kotaku should've waited for his translated explanation before posting assumptions.

Assumptions were reached on this forum way before kotaku put up a response.

JDSN

Banned
what a nice guy and what a shame kotaku didnt question him about it BEFORE writing their horrible articles, despite constantly complaining themselves about the same thing.

None of this is news to me or anyone not desperately reaching for outrage clickbait though.

They waited for him 4 hours for him to respond, when questioned about why they waited so litte time, this is the answer I got:

Gotta have dem clicks.

Well, that's that. Kamitani shows that he's a classy guy who isn't going to compromise himself for a blogger kerfluffle. It's a shame that every misunderstanding in this matter was amplified in the worst way by the gaming press. Talk about bad faith.

Can we talk about the game now? I think I'll be playing the elf, actually.

Domstercool

I never understood people having a problem with the Dwarf picture. It seems people were looking for some sort of evil intent which was never there. It's a depressing world we live in when everyone just looks for bad or negative things in everything. Really, what the hell happened to people?

DigitalOp

Banned
This debacle has finally made me stop visiting Kotaku permanently.

I completely understand the gender inequality presented in the video game industry, but it shouldn't detract from creating stylized art.

I feel the inequality exists outside of the character designs; in the way Elizabeth wasn't on the cover of Infinite, or the ridiculous statements from the developers of Tomb Raider regarding Lara. Those are strong examples of gender inequality, and absolutely need to change.

You are 100 percent correct. The Kotaku article was insanely unprofessional. By the tone it was written in, Kotaku isn't "journalism", Its a blog about games.

I never understood people having a problem with the Dwarf picture. It seems people were looking for some sort of evil intent which was never there. It's a depressing world we live in when everyone just looks for bad or negative things in everything. Really, what the hell happened to people?

People were not looking, the evil intent was clearly shown from the picture and the text on the facebook post at face value. The fact that he had to clarify it shows that a good amount of people found an issue with the response.

Domstercool

People were not looking, the evil intent was clearly shown from the picture and the text on the facebook post at face value. The fact that he had to clarify it shows that a good amount of people found an issue with the response.

In the words of EA though, that would be "the vocal minority" lol

Sorry, couldn't resist that dig at EA's thoughts.

ronito

Female characters too sexy? It's because the patriarchy!
Male characters too sexy? It's because the patriarchy!

ultron87

I don't really see how to not take it as negative intent. There isn't a way to interpret it that isn't "Don't like these character designs? You must want these muscly dudes."

Top Bottom