• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Kamitani responds to Kotaku

I never understood people having a problem with the Dwarf picture. It seems people were looking for some sort of evil intent which was never there. It's a depressing world we live in when everyone just looks for bad or negative things in everything. Really, what the hell happened to people?

There's nothing wrong with the picture. It was the context given by his autotranslated comment. He says he was misconstrued, that's fine and I can give him the benefit of the doubt. There's no mystery why it was misconstrued.

RMI

Banned
I don't really see how to not take it as negative intent. There isn't a way to interpret it that isn't "Don't like these character designs? You must want these muscly dudes."

yeah, you see what you did was misquote even what he said. You're putting words into the guy's mouth. might as well paraphrase it as "Don't like tits, you're a FAG." You'd make a great game's journo, have you thought about it?

When you're out on a witch hunt, you're not going to be very receptive to humor.

Witch hunt? Kamitani's response is what caused this to blow up. Kotaku made a crappy small blog post style article, which could easily have been ignored. Kamitani made a facebook post which could easily have been interpreted as an attack on Schreiers heterosexuality. It's only then when Schreier saw it on GAF that he wrote a full article in response. Kamitani gave a short apology which was later added to the article, and now a full response. So which part of this was Kotaku on a witch hunt?

AkuMifune

Banned
Pretty much.

And this response from Kamitani supports the perception of several people in those other threads about the context in which the design of the Sorceress character was created.

Because context is very important when discussing the merits of a ZZZ bust.

This is more of a creepy support group than a discussion.

I am not sure if I can implement the critiques from him and others around the internet into my future artistic creations, but I will definitely keep in mind that these opinions are out there and affect people on a personal level.
This line has motivated me to send Kamitani an e-mail encouraging to keep doing what he does. The western obsession with controlling depictions of women is getting out of hand, and he needs to understand that this is specifically a western problem with a small group of vocal people trying to trample over others.

He ought to be getting apologies, not giving them.
Indeed.

Domstercool

I don't really see how to not take it as negative intent. There isn't a way to interpret it that isn't "Don't like these character designs? You must want these muscly dudes."

The designs are over the top, so if he didn't want over the top women, maybe he wanted over the top men? There was no gay, homosexual, homophobic or whatever implied with the picture, only people looking for it. Just like with a lot of stuff nowadays, like it's a sport or challenge to find something bad or hidden in a message.

Just my view on it.

Cryo

Neo Member
This whole thing turned into one big mess and didn't even deserve all the attention it got.
Even after reading the Gamasutra article, I still don't understand why he got all the backlash.
It was an easy joke to make: "You don't like women with big breasts? How about big muscle men?", but people should stop being offended that quickly.

Kamitani never should have apologised.

DaBuddaDa

Moral Panic said:
So which part of this was Kotaku on a witch hunt?

Witch hunt? Kamitani's response is what caused this to blow up. Kotaku made a crappy small blog post style article, which could easily have been ignored. Kamitani made a facebook post which could easily have been interpreted as an attack on Schreiers heterosexuality. It's only then when Schreier saw it on GAF that he wrote a full article in response. Kamitani gave a short apology which was later added to the article, and now a full response.

That part. I could not possibly disagree more with your assertion.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Eh, I respect him more for what he's said. He's an artist taking responsibility for his art, clearly explaining his intentions, and noting that others out there might not percieve everything as he himself intends.

His look at critique is much more in line with the way I've learned to look at it through art classes, rather than the "OMG, ARTIST CAN DRAW WHAT THEY WANT SCREW THE HATERS!" kinda stuff the internet believes. Every critique is a chance to grow. The best artist take the opinions of all, and figure out how to say what they want, in the clearest way possible, and avoid saying anything that'll ultimately cheapen their message, and toss them in to the wrong crowd.

It's nice to see a Japanese designer not just falling on the "We make things for the JP market, that's just how it is, sorry!" excuse, and to admit, even if it's just politness, that the whole world takes note of games now, and that good designs do lead to personal responses to them.

I don't think this'll change him into something he's not, but I do think he's a solid enough artist, where it'll lead to an even broader range of designs from him. He'll grow from this drama, and DC will be known to a wider range of people, because of it. And his next game, will be looked upon by even more eyes, interested in seeing what crazy things he'll come up with next, and he'll probably gain even more fans, ultimately.

Respect, Kamitani. Accused of being a child, but respond back like the most mature of men.

Atolm

Gaming Journalism. What a bunch of fucking bullshit and douchebags. An artist shouldn't have to self-censor himself for whatever crusade you're fighting for. It's utterly shameful that Kamitani has to explain himself in public because you don't like his way of doing things.

Assholes.

The designs are over the top, so if he didn't want over the top women, maybe he wanted over the top men? There was no gay, homosexual, homophobic or whatever implied with the picture, only people looking for it. Just like with a lot of stuff nowadays, like it's a sport or challenge to find something bad or hidden in a message.

Just my view on it.

59637_429947370434109_277578159_n.jpg

Nothing homoerotic on this pic. right....

xJavonta

Banned
Really, he shouldn't be apologizing. It should be Kotaku seeing how they're the one's insulting peoples work (when they should be last people insulting ANYONE's work when they post garbage they call "news" 24/7 on their site). I've said it before and I'll say it again, Jason Schreier is probably one of the worst writers on Kotaku. Kamitani was pretty stand up about it though, good on him for it.

But really, this whole thing has gotten out of hand.

Gaming Journalism. What a bunch of fucking bullshit and douchebags. An artist shouldn't have to self-censor himself for whatever crusade you're fighting for. It's utterly shameful that Kamitani has to explain himself in public because you don't like his way of doing things.

Assholes.
Pretty much this.

Witch hunt? Kamitani's response is what caused this to blow up. Kotaku made a crappy small blog post style article, which could easily have been ignored. Kamitani made a facebook post which could easily have been interpreted as an attack on Schreiers heterosexuality. It's only then when Schreier saw it on GAF that he wrote a full article in response. Kamitani gave a short apology which was later added to the article, and now a full response. So which part of this was Kotaku on a witch hunt?

Yes, but games journalism != to opinions. Opinions are best kept to blogs. A block post style article is still an article and it will be viewed by the masses. It shouldn't have been ignored, and I don't believe that it was intended to be ignored.

That said, I think his response could have been better tailored by PR. He's a big dude (no pun intended) to make a statement about it, apologize and move on. The bigger dude, IMO.

JDSN

Banned

The part that they couldnt wait for his response?
The part that they framed him a potential opposing party in the issue of sexism?
The part that they implied that he made a gay joke?
The part that other writers jumped on the bandwagon calling him homophobic, stupid and ridiculous? Article that was praised by Schreier on twitter implying that he agreed with such assement?

Because context is very important when discussing the merits of a ZZZ bust.

This is more of a creepy support group than a discussion.

Context is the only way to defend or detract from any piece of art beyond critiquing its technical execution and style. I don't get your point.

Eh, I respect him more for what he's said. He's an artist taking responsibility for his art, clearly explaining his intentions, and noting that others out there might not percieve everything as he himself intends.

His look at critique is much more in line with the way I've learned to look at it through art classes, rather than the "OMG, ARTIST CAN DRAW WHAT THEY WANT SCREW THE HATERS!" kinda stuff the internet believes. Every critique is a chance to grow. The best artist take the opinions of all, and figure out how to say what they want, in the clearest way possible, and avoid saying anything that'll ultimately cheapen their message, and toss them in to the wrong crowd.

It's nice to see a Japanese designer not just falling on the "We make things for the JP market, that's just how it is, sorry!" excuse, and to admit, even if it's just politness, that the whole world takes not of games now, and that good designs do lead to personal responses to them.

I don't think this'll change him into something he's not, but I do think he's a solid enough artist, where it'll lead to an even broader range of designs from him. He'll grow from this drama, and DC will be known to a wider range of people, because of it. And his next game, will be looked upon by even more eyes, interested in seeing what crazy things he'll come up with next, and he'll probably gain even more fans, ultimately.

Respect, Kamitani. Accused of being a child, but respond back like the most mature of men.

Yeah, I took it this way as well. I'm not reading it as a throwaway dismissal at all.

btkadams

i'm confused by his explanation of the picture he posted to facebook with that comment. was the translation not meant to be calling the kotaku writer gay?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Do muscles = homoerotic to you? Because they're not DOING anything homoerotic, I have to wonder if it's because they are all strong men and that might be what you equate with homoeroticism.

ultron87

yeah, you see what you did was misquote even what he said. You're putting words into the guy's mouth. might as well paraphrase it as "Don't like tits, you're a FAG." You'd make a great game's journo, have you thought about it?

Well I wasn't quoting him but saying what I see as the only interpretation of the intent. So... okay?

His mistranslated quote had some really negative connotations. That's a perfectly reasonable thing to apologize for. He shouldn't have to apologize for his art though.

Reveirg

Gee, I like how Jason doesn't even try to apologize back on the latest article. -.-

The Gameloft party article was full of bullshit/inacurracies too. Nice "journalism".

It's a shame because I agree with Jason on a lot of other subjects, and I think he does a great job at defending JRPGs and asking for their localization.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
You're the one who keeps implying that 'homoerotic' is a perjorative term. You're the one who sees a piece of art that's whimsical as shit and insists that it's brimming with 'evil intent'. Stop trying so hard to be a victim.

Nags

Banned
I hope this honestly does not effect the direction of his future work.

I'm pretty fed up with this fad. Journos making accusatory remarks directly at a dev to provoke a reaction. Get their click-bait and get their hits.

It's hard for me to actually ascertain or accept any argument coming from certain media with an agenda when their motive is at question for me.

jschreier

Let me clarify something. I don't think Kamitani needed to apologize for anything - especially not his art - but I am glad he apologized for what many, me included, considered to be a homophobic joke.

On Tuesday, I apologized for calling him a 14-year-old, which was inappropriate on my part. I still believe that the sorceress is a juvenile, harmful piece of art. You're entitled to disagree. I find it hard to believe that anyone can see that GIF and not see why people think it's an example of sexual objectification, but there's no point in trying to drag on the same arguments over and over again.

I'm glad this discussion reached him. I'm disappointed by how toxic the discussion has been on NeoGAF and other message boards, where hordes of people have taken offense at the idea that someone might not be happy with a female character that's presented as a jiggling sexual object. But there's nothing I can do about that.

Yjynx

I rarely comment on this kind of things. But don't it disgust you when someone (for ex: Game Journalist) speak from high horse and demanding for apology?

that's the way I read this whole things. Of course he didn't specifically ask for it but that's the way I read it. He must be feeling in cloud nine and feels really RIGHT because the other party apologise for it.

all of his design have been exaggerated. They already showed the trailer long ago - no complaint. IT shouldn't be a problem in the first place.

Top Bottom