• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

German Federal Elections 2017 |OT| Electing the new leader of the free world

This election kind of striking a blow to the “Germany strong and stable and resistant of the far right” takes we’ve been endlessly seeing since Brexit and trump.

To be frank, 13% is still a far cry from the 25-30% that these parties manage to get in other countries (the elections in Austria in three weeks are going to be fun in that regard :-/ ). It is "only" concerning for Germany where you had assumed that they had, you know, learnt their lesson about the consequences of voting for Nazis...

Non German here, what 13,5 can do in the German gov.?

Literally nothing. They are already in many state parliaments where they just fight against each other without doing any constructive work and spouting racist nonsense.
So just annoying, nothing dangerous (yet).

Maedre

Banned
The thing is, that if a person I know voted for them, this person is not a friend anymore. I can’t tolerate someone voting a racist party.

oti

Banned
This election kind of striking a blow to the “Germany strong and stable and resistant of the far right” takes we’ve been endlessly seeing since Brexit and trump.

Come on.

The Brits voted for their own demise as a global player out of sheer stupidity.
The US-Americans voted a reality TV star into office because who knows.
The Germans voted some Nazis into the Bundestag.

dakun

i'm actually not as worried as some here seem to be.. I'm kinda confident actually, that after all this refugee/terrorism/xenophobia talk this country went through for the last 3-4 years, if 13% is the best the AFD could do, that's really not that worrying.

No party will ever want to associate with them anyway, so politically they will not have any influence.
The people have spoken overwhelmingly against xenophobia/racism/etc. in a time where it was most likely to be an issue. We'll see what the next few years bring but my feeling is that the AFD will find their main platform crumbling under them.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It technically is since it's much smaller than all other far-right movements in the world but it's still a big blow for country itself to have far-right have some sort of presence in bundestag since 1930s

Since 1960. Don't forget Deutsche Partei.

Vuze

Anyone know the name of the site where one can see results sorted by Landkreis / Bundesland? Probably not update yet but for future reference

Nice to see FDP outperformed both Linke and Greens.
Yup was pleasantly surprised too

It technically is since it's much smaller than all other far-right movements in the world but it's still a big blow for country itself to have far-right have some sort of presence in bundestag since 1930s

Not entirely true. The first Bundestag without any former NSDAP member formed was late 80s/early 90s.

Hey, Wilders here actually underperformed compared to the polls! So there is.....that. I guess......

I double checked and edited already, sorry roy :p

afdfuou4.png

what are the chances of jamaica happening?

They'll probably do it simply to prevent another election that would probably not change much except for the AfD doing even better than this round. That or the SPD ultimately relents out of a kind of civic duty. I can't imagine any party except the AfD wanting another election.

roytheone

Not entirely true. The first Bundestag without any former NSDAP member formed was late 80s/early 90s.

I double checked and edited already, sorry roy :p

I mean, he is still the second biggest party in our country which sucks a lot. But the election here had a lot of parties very close for second place so the third and forth parties of our country are pretty much the same size as wilders.

They'll probably do it simply to prevent another election that would probably not change much except for the AfD doing even better than this round. That or the SPD ultimately relents out of a kind of civic duty. I can't imagine any party except the AfD wanting another election.

thanks.

is jamaica with SPD as the biggest opposition party instead of AfD preferable to another big coalition?

Oriel

I'm okay with Jamaika. AFD will get nothing done anyway, just as in most state parliaments and they will get the full oppposition of all other parties. When people see they won't get through with their program they will crash hard in 1-2 years.

Nobody was expecting AFD to take power at this election. Their aim was to make an electoral breakthrough and become a mainstream political force in the legislature as a way of showing the voters that their is an alternative to the traditional parties. It's in their name after all. Now that the AFD have a voice in the Bundestag they can far more effectively communicate their platform at a national level.

It's wishful thinking to expect AFD to simply melt away. They, and their toxic politics, are here to stay.

stoff

I consider 13% to be a success. It could have been much more, much worse. Unless a new major crisis emerges, I expect the refugee polemic to vanish in 4 years and AfD will not have any topic left. Their stint will be a one-off at most. They'll probably destroy themselves before that.

But maybe I'm just a blind optimist.

Good on SPD to be set on joining the opposition. We'll need the two big parties to be distinct again.

It sucks definitely but I believe (hope) the AfD has got to their ceiling. I can't see them getting more than 15% ever. The refugee crisis already peaked. And now they'll show their incompetency in full sight.

SPD needs to go into opposition just so the AfD isn't the strongest party in the opposition. It'll also help them to rethink things and rebuild.

Just wondering if other parties will shift more right now to appease to Afd voters in the future.

Oriel

Again: Calm down. This isn't comparable to Le pen, farage, Putin, Trump because it's 13%, not 50 or more.

It's quite comparable to Le Pen and Farage actually. Both failed to take power but their influence on national politics has been far stronger than their meagre numbers would suggest.

afroguy10

for our non-German members. This shows what party was voted (on the left) out of conviction/enthusiasm or (on the right) out of disappointment

So it suggests the votes for AfD are out of frustration with the status quo or the establishment/hatred of left wing politics and political correctness, worry and racism over the refugee crisis etc. the usual shite that racists use to justify their votes similar to voters for UKIP/Brexit.

CDU
they would have a change to gain some of the losses back, because people want at least a decent administration

i just don't see Schwarz/Grün/Gelb happen
to make that possible one ore more partys have to break their campaign promises

Nokterian

Literally nothing. They are already in many state parliaments where they just fight against each other without doing any constructive work and spouting racist nonsense.
So just annoying, nothing dangerous (yet).

I'm still baffled that these nazi's got so much, did germany not learned from 70 years ago? :(

Crashdown

Neo Member
Sorry to ask pedantic foreigner questions while the results come in, but how do people in Germany view Die Linke? Is it just a weird, vestigial leftover from East Germany, or does it stand for something that matters in a modern context? Are they far-left in the same way AfD is far-right?

And thank you very much to the Gaffers helping to translate some of these returns.

thanks.

is jamaica with SPD as the big opposition party instead of AfD preferable to another big coalition?

Long term I'd say yes. It would mean that the AfD won't be main opposition party in the Bundestag and it would give the SPD the opportunity to reform in opposition. Another grand coalition would just mean another four years of strong and stable government with the CDU and the SPD doing even worse, because the AfD would have four years of comfortably railing against both major government parties.

The question is whether a Jamaica coalition would work in practice and survive an entire term. The differences between the FDP and the Greens are quite significant as far as I know.

Top Bottom