• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighters MP videos

Lil' Dice

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"You know what all those games have in common? They're not slow paced strategic shooters. No Ghost Recon purist wants a gun in their way when playing in 1st person. Think about it for a second......"

Uh, Rainbow Six was one of the first (if not the first) of the "slow paced strategic shooter" style.

On the PC yes. R6 is also a close combat sim while GR takes place in wide open environments. Nothing like having the gun impede your view of a sniper hiding far off in the horizon huh?

Blame!

Lil' Dice said:
You know what all those games have in common? They're not slow paced strategic shooters. No Ghost Recon purist wants a gun in their way when playing in 1st person. Think about it for a second......

no the PC yes. R6 is also a close combat sim while GR takes place in wide open environments. Nothing like having the gun impede your view of a sniper hiding far off in the horizon huh?

rainbow six 3 on xbox...pretty tactical if you ask me. in fact i want them to go one step further and add ironsights. no gun model totaly ruins the immersion for me. so why don't you go think about it for like, 5 minutes. also how exactly would a gun model impede your view... i could say that an over the shoulder view pretty much does the same thing...except, OH IT DOESN'T AND NEITHER DOES A GUN.

"On the PC yes. R6 is also a close combat sim while GR takes place in wide open environments. Nothing like having the gun impede your view of a sniper hiding far off in the horizon huh?"

Completely irrelevant to your point that none of those games were "slow paced strategic shooters."

Lil' Dice

Banned
Blame! said:
rainbow six 3 on xbox...pretty tactical if you ask me. in fact i want them to go one step further and add ironsights. no gun model totaly ruins the immersion for me. so why don't you go think about it for like, 5 minutes. also how exactly would a gun model impede your view... i could say that an over the shoulder view pretty much does the same thing...except, OH IT DOESN'T AND NEITHER DOES A GUN.

If you can't see how it would then you're wasting my goddamned time. I swear some of you are fucking retarded. If you wan't "immersion" go play the Xbox version, where the gun takes up a good chunk of the screen.

Gek54

Kabuki Waq said:
i prefer not having the gun in view while shooting for immersion.

How is not seeing your gun more immersive? And whats with the horrible frame tearing? I hope that gets cleaned up before release.

BioFan

Kabuki Waq said:
i prefer not having the gun in view while shooting for immersion.
sorry but how are you suppose to shoot a target if you are not aiming ur gun with the target/whatever you are looking at?

Shompola said:
YOu cant see your gun in over the shoulder view mode? Sorry I am confused here.

It uses the classic Ghost Recon first person view, which so happens to feature no gun on-screen. This never bothered me in Ghost Recon, so I don't see why it would bother me here.

BioFan

sorry, what I was trying to say is that I think it's more immersive if you can see your gun and use that for aiming...

BioFan said:
sorry, what I was trying to say is that I think it's more immersive if you can see your gun and use that for aiming...

Why would you want to aim with a gun instead of a crosshair? Would be hard as hell... eh

Gek54

Cerebral Palsy said:
Why would you want to aim with a gun instead of a crosshair? Would be hard as hell... eh

Not really

002.jpg

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
every thread should get automatically locked after 25 or so posts, as the always turn to shit at or about at that point.

i guess its the same with ppl who claim they love sim racers because they are so realistic and yadda yadda but when they play the game they choose the behind the car view.

If the game is good enough eventually everyone will get use to not having a gun to look at.

BigBoss said:
Much more realistic and immersive.

I'm not sure it is. The standard FPS gun display is hardly realistic. You see far too much of the guns, they are often poorly and illogically positioned, and developers rarely if ever even attempt to simulate realistic DOF. Some games do the ironsights better than others, but no developer that I know of has ever taken it all the way, as to include a more realistic normal gun view altogether.

BioFan

Kabuki Waq said:
i guess its the same with ppl who claim they love sim racers because they are so realistic and yadda yadda but when they play the game they choose the behind the car view.

If the game is good enough eventually everyone will get use to not having a gun to look at.
that's true.....I was just arguing that I think it's more immersive if you can actually see the gun when aiming, but ya...

I'm not sure it is. The standard FPS gun display is hardly realistic. You see far too much of the guns, they are often poorly and illogically positioned, and developers rarely if ever even attempt to simulate realistic DOF. Some games do the ironsights better than others, but no developer that I know of has ever taken it all the way, as to include a more realistic normal gun view altogether.
but then again I think this is true...

Gek54

Cerebral Palsy said:
That is exactly what I want!!! A gun taking up 1/3 of the screen when a crosshair is more functional.

More functional maybe but not more immersive and not more realistic. Unless you are a retard, aiming like that in COD2 was not hard as hell and it takes up less than a 6th of the screen which only happens when you are trying to make pin point shots, naturaly.

Gek54 said:
More functional maybe but not more immersive and not more realistic. Unless you are a retard, aiming like that in COD2 was not hard as hell and it takes up less than a 6th of the screen which only happens when you are trying to make pin point shots, naturaly.

Well, Ghost Recon is certainly nothing like COD2, so I'm not sure if that's a valid comparison anyway. Maybe a gun view would work, who knows. It sounds to me though like they decided to cater to two types of GR fans; those of us who prefered the view in GR/IT, and those who prefered the 3rd person view featured in GR2/SS.

As for this whole supposed added realism w/gun in view... anyone catch the Doom 3 movie trailer? Now that's closer to what a first person gun view should look like.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
AltogetherAndrews said:
It uses the classic Ghost Recon first person view, which so happens to feature no gun on-screen. This never bothered me in Ghost Recon, so I don't see why it would bother me here.

Same with me. Even in Rainbow 6 with the nice gun models, I don't really notice them when playing all that much. Instead I'm spending my time staring and scanning other parts of the screen looking for people to terminate. The sound of gunfire and rumble vibration effects on the controller is where the feel of firing a gun comes from mostly.

Jerkface

Banned
Very nice, the competitive multiplayer mode is about elimination of the enemy. Wait for co-op or singleplayer videos before crying that it looks nothing like the E3 video.

Shogmaster said:
I already told you it was a P4 6800U SLI.

The demo in question, which I watched in person at E3 was clearly represented as running realtime, but not on what platform on purpose (obviously, back in E3 05, X360 hardware didn't exist so I don't know why you think they said X360 in the first place). Infact, I remember someone asking the ex G4 host dude what exactly it was running on and he dodged the question. They never said the footage was running realtime on X360 at E3. FACT.

This is what I am talking about

926971_20050726_screen001.jpg

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/tomclancysghostrecon3/media.html

Watch official trailer 2. That vid is fake.

The first one most definitely was. The second one with shitty lighting and fucked up shadows wasn't.

No it wasn't. It was clearly using all in game assets but of course the AI hadn't been implemented and filters were added to give it a movie like feel. The alpha built the dev showed at the PS meeting looked pretty much like the E3 trailer minus the high res textures and filters.

http://x1.putfile.com/7/20206181897.jpg
http://x1.putfile.com/7/20206494244.jpg

MbGCaM

Doom_Bringer said:

No it wasn't. It was clearly using all in game assets but of course the AI hadn't been implemented and filters were added to give it a movie like feel. The alpha built the dev showed at the PS meeting looked pretty much like the E3 trailer minus the high res textures and filters.

media5ns.jpg

MISSION FAILED.

Jerkface said:

I never said that Ubisoft couldn't match the rendered trailer. This is about shog not admitting that the trailer was rendered and spinning for MS. From the latest single player movies I have seen, I can say that single player mode looks great.

I was just surprised that he praised this game even when it didn't look good as the rendered trailer while he kept on trolling in the Gundam PS3 thread even when the pre alpha built came close to the E3 2005 trailer.

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=56146&page=1&pp=50&highlight=gundam

Raiden

Banned
<nu>faust said:
words of devs on the videos:

You will see a LOT of videos in the next 2 months

Ehm...isnt the game due in about a month?

Its coming out the third of march right?

right? :(

<nu>faust

Raiden said:
You will see a LOT of videos in the next 2 months

Ehm...isnt the game due in about a month?

Its coming out the third of march right?

right? :(

i asked blim the same thing, he said ubi confirmed the game as a march release :)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Raiden said:
Thats good, but it better be the third of march.
March 10 AFAIK. I don't know if it's been officially announced or not.
I'm glad to see that Ubi asked me to wait for 3 weeks for my cam videos, and that IGN already has direct feed content. Yay.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
<nu>faust said:
how's the quality of your footage compared to ign's videos blim ?
Not as good as I was hoping it would be. One lesson I've learned is that you should never use a 3CCD cam for some off screen footage. It's watchable when in motion, but in stills it's just dreadful. The rest of the footage was done with my cam (using a CMOS chip), so it does not have this issue, but it's underexposed for the most part.
Still, it does show how good the game looks.
I'd make some screen captures but I'm not allowed to.

trmas

Banned
Only problem I have with the game is that the character animation is choppy (could be the vid), and no gun in first person view. Guess if I get a 360 I'll be playing the over shoulder view most of the time. Otherwise, it looks like they might be able to come close to the E3 trailer, and that is all I care about.

Looks pretty fun, but after playing COD2, no gun is a disappointment.

Mrbob

MbGCaM said:

media5ns.jpg

MISSION FAILED.

Yeah it looks really close. The biggest difference I see is in the lighting. The bloom lighting looked great in the trailer, but I don't see it in the final version. Of course it could still be in a certain area.

Doom_Bringer said:

You are one wormy back peddling BS cowboy. NO ONE FUCKING SAID THAT THAT PARTICULAR STUPID TRAILER WAS REALTIME! That was NEVER the trailer in question! And that pic is not from the main pre-rendered video of that trailer!

There was an official realtime trailer/footage shown at E3. It was running on a PC. It was realtime. END O STORY!

No it wasn't. It was clearly using all in game assets but of course the AI hadn't been implemented and filters were added to give it a movie like feel.

It was pre-rendered! It doesn't matter if you use in game models if you use much more advanced lighting and textures and shadows to create a video footage that will look much better than the final game engine (much like that trailer 2 you linked for GR:AW).

The alpha built the dev showed at the PS meeting looked pretty much like the E3 trailer minus the high res textures and filters.

You are hopeless. I'm done with you.

Lil' Dice

Banned
Play this game in 1st person and you'll get creamed by the rest of us playing in 3rd person. I'm an old school GR player, but i've come to love the 3rd person view as it makes up for the lack of peripheral vision in 1st person mode.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Lil' Dice said:
Play this game in 1st person and you'll get creamed by the rest of us playing in 3rd person. I'm an old school GR player, but i've come to love the 3rd person view as it makes up for the lack of peripheral vision in 1st person mode.

i wonder if there will be a force view option

snatches

Oh my fuck. This game looks incredible. Next Gen is so awesome, I can't wait to get this on my HDTV. This makes Socom look like a small team GBA project....

Top Bottom