• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighters MP videos

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
AltogetherAndrews said:
This Ubi marketing tool on the IGN boards is claiming that they will bombard us with HD movies over the next few weeks, or something to that effect.

i hope we get some vids on the marketplace as well.

these vids are cool, but i hate watching people play GR like a run & gun shooter

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
I like the Gamespot videos better than the IGN ones. More action and it tends to stay with over the shoulder view.

Some new screen shots as well are up.

926971_20060124_screen012.jpg

926971_20060124_screen015.jpg

926971_20060124_screen006.jpg

926971_20060124_screen003.jpg

Raiden

Banned
Just saw them, looks pretty good but with nightvision on it does look like ice-skating sometimes, they move too fast if you ask me, and their gun and shoulders are too steady, even for trained men.

But cant really complain, you dont notice those things when you play multiplayer anyway, core-gameplay ftw!

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Mrbob said:
Yeah it looks really close. The biggest difference I see is in the lighting. The bloom lighting looked great in the trailer, but I don't see it in the final version. Of course it could still be in a certain area.
The bloom lighting (HDR in fact) is incredible in GRAW. One level I have a video from is played on the roofs of buildings, sniping in the street so tanks can get to their destination. The whole level is played at dusk with an awesome orange tint. But it's not just a tint over the whole the level/textures, it's the HDR at work. When you are hit the tint changes and you can see that the textures are colored normally and the game is actually doing the lighting on top of them.
The devs told me you get to play in part of the level again later but at another time of the day, and it looks completely different. But nothing is changed except the lighting and shadows.
That's the type of stuff I wanted from a next gen system, where the devs can finally play with the time of day without having to resort to a whole new set of textures.
Of course full night will certainly still require some work so that the windows have lighting and stuff like that.

op_ivy

Blimblim said:
The bloom lighting (HDR in fact) is incredible in GRAW. One level I have a video from is played on the roofs of buildings, sniping in the street so tanks can get to their destination. The whole level is played at dusk with an awesome orange tint. But it's not just a tint over the whole the level/textures, it's the HDR at work. When you are hit the tint changes and you can see that the textures are colored normally and the game is actually doing the lighting on top of them.
The devs told me you get to play in part of the level again later but at another time of the day, and it looks completely different. But nothing is changed except the lighting and shadows.
That's the type of stuff I wanted from a next gen system, where the devs can finally play with the time of day without having to resort to a whole new set of textures.
Of course full night will certainly still require some work so that the windows have lighting and stuff like that.

sounds similar to what pgr3 does, no? i believe it was one of your videos that showed them manipulating the lighting in real time.

those new shots are great, but is multiplayer using a diferent engine then single player? it looks quite a bit different somehow

Jerkface

Banned
op_ivy said:
sounds similar to what pgr3 does, no? i believe it was one of your videos that showed them manipulating the lighting in real time.

those new shots are great, but is multiplayer using a diferent engine then single player? it looks quite a bit different somehow

Same engine, different team I believe.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
op_ivy said:

It wasn't one of my videos, that for sure.
As for GRAW, single player is developed in France (Montpellier team from Tiwak, but mostly moved to near Paris), and multiplayer in the US. I know some assets are of course shared, but I don't know about the actual engine.
But looking at these screens it looks like the same engine to me, maybe a bit less impressive lighting-wse than single player because of the MP "we never what we could have to display", but the shadowing for example looks the same to me.

So the grass actually sways? I was about to do a micro-bitch regarding what I thought was draw-in and jitter, and now it turns out it was actually an awesome effect. Go GRAW.

Brimstone

AltogetherAndrews said:
So the grass actually sways? I was about to do a micro-bitch regarding what I thought was draw-in and jitter, and now it turns out it was actually an awesome effect. Go GRAW.

Yes, the blades of grass sway back and forth. I watch the movies Divx movie player and I play it at full screen size. It's easier to see the details that way.

Brimstone said:
Yes, the blades of grass sway back and forth. I watch the movies Divx movie player and I play it at full screen size. It's easier to see the details that way.

That's a very nice touch though. Maybe it's because I had such low expectations from this game, but I'm thoroughly impressed.

Brimstone

AltogetherAndrews said:
That's a very nice touch though. Maybe it's because I had such low expectations from this game, but I'm thoroughly impressed.

The tree's also sway in the wind. If you watch the 1st Gamespot vid at around the 45 second point when he has the guns zoom view on, look at the top half of the video, you'll see them swaying back and forth.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Shogmaster said:
The demo in question, which I watched in person at E3 was clearly represented as running realtime, but not on what platform on purpose
Shog, so you are claiming this trailer from E3 (I was there and saw it on a big screen too) is realtime?

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/video_player/popup.php?pid=926971&sid=6125904&tab=related

Btw, I wonder if you will be so systematically defending Killzone gameplay footage when we eventually see it, if it's framerate, explosions etc. end up not looking quite like it's trailer, the same way you are defending this game? :p

Marconelly said:
Shog, so you are claiming this trailer from E3 (I was there and saw it on a big screen too) is realtime?

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/video_player/popup.php?pid=926971&sid=6125904&tab=related

Btw, I wonder if you will be so systematically defending Killzone gameplay footage when we eventually see it, if it's framerate, explosions etc. end up not looking quite like it's trailer, the same way you are defending this game? :p

the E3 video was real-time, i saw another vid where someone was playing through it. no one knows what hardware it was running on however.

puebla

new ign preview:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/683/683183p1.html

The difference between this build and the October build couldn't be more profound. Red Storm has made enormous progress on the game in all respects, especially in graphics and sound. In 720p, widescreen mode, the game shows off striking, crystal clear visuals -- from highly detailed character models to huge, massively packed levels to superb special effects ranging from close range jibbing, incredibly realistic rain effects and remarkable 5.1 surround sound.

Marconelly said:

Would you loons please stop linking to that godamned pre-rendered trailer? That wasn't the one presented as realtime at E3! JEBUS CHRISTMAS!

Shompola

Banned
Ohh shit, the videos at 1UP, the third one has some serious framerate problems... screen tearing is pretty damn bad aswell.

Mrbob

This game is sounding like it is shaping up very nicely at the moment.

Tommorrow...Double Agent is revealed!

Brimstone

The first 1up vid is good. I like when in the tube the different gun sound. Whoever was playing had a higher level of skill compared the other vids by IGN and Gamespot.

To all "E3 trailer was not realtime" goobers: This is the damn trailer that is the one shown as realtime at E3. Now get the hell out of this thread and don't come back.

BioFan

Shogmaster said:
To all "E3 trailer was not realtime" goobers: This is the damn trailer that is the one shown as realtime at E3. Now get the hell out of this thread and don't come back.
LOL...I thought those guys have been talking about this video all along, until this post, and then I went to check the video on the other link, and LOL...that's definitely CG...and yes this is the "realtime" trailer that was shown at E3 and I think GRAW is really close to this quality

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
What annoys me slightly is that there doesn't seem to be projective shadowing on the characters (in the multiplayer for sure, single I don't know) and maybe not even self-shadowing so far, but that's harder to see from those vids.

It still looks great, but yea, should be possible to do.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Kobold said:
What annoys me slightly is that there doesn't seem to be projective shadowing on the characters (in the multiplayer for sure, single I don't know) and maybe not even self-shadowing so far, but that's harder to see from those vids.

It still looks great, but yea, should be possible to do.
Selfshadowing is there in single player mode, it looks excellent.

Kobold

Blimblim said:
Selfshadowing is there in single player mode, it looks excellent.
Alright, maybe not in MP though, hard to see. Plus projective is totally not there, they tone down the dudes from bright to dark...

Kobold said:
Alright, maybe not in MP though, hard to see. Plus projective is totally not there, they tone down the dudes from bright to dark...

In single player ALL shadows are calculated in real time using what appears to be the same method. Shadows cast accurately over the characters, atleast i'm about 90% sure.

But you're right, multiplayer does appear to use simple lightmaps (which is understandable, they still look great though).

BTW. Does anyone know what time the splinter cell stuff is being aired today?

Jerkface

Banned
Those 1up vids are awesome. Old Town looks like it has some cool variation between open areas and tight streets, while Boneyard and Drydock are definitely tighter.

Are all the vids going to be FFA Deathmatch from this session? I don't know about anybody else but GR is best when you're on a team.

trmas

Banned
This game along with Oblivion is the reason I picked the system up at Best Buy last night. It looks like SO much fun online.

oatmeal said:
what is being revealed today? there will be new videos of spinter cell 4?
Supposedly we'll get to see the 360 version finally. It's being aired on the french channel Canal+ (not sure what time). I'm sure some vids will leak out onto the net rather quickly.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Shogmaster said:
Ah, that one! OK, your ranting actually makes some sense now :p

Kobold

morbidaza said:
In single player ALL shadows are calculated in real time using what appears to be the same method. Shadows cast accurately over the characters, atleast i'm about 90% sure.

But you're right, multiplayer does appear to use simple lightmaps (which is understandable, they still look great though).
Hope so! There isn't much great high res single-player footage out so far. It's kinda hard to see in those screens as well.

Yes, does look great, will be a blast.

Kobold said:
Hope so! There isn't much great high res single-player footage out so far. It's kinda hard to see in those screens as well.

Yes, does look great, will be a blast.

Actually, I just found a shot that shows it. Look at the first shot here.

http://www.xboxyde.com/news_2506_en.html

Look at the guy that's a decent ways back into the screen on the left. You can see the shadow from something being cast over him, with a small patch unshaded.

Brimstone

Jerkface said:
Those 1up vids are awesome. Old Town looks like it has some cool variation between open areas and tight streets, while Boneyard and Drydock are definitely tighter.

Are all the vids going to be FFA Deathmatch from this session? I don't know about anybody else but GR is best when you're on a team.

I agree with you on the 1up vids, some of the best yet. Whoever is playing understands how to control the game well. In third person over the shoulder they zoom in and out and aren't moving around like a chicken with its head cut off.

Here are links to the same version of 1up's Drydock just at different resolutions and media player formats. Just right click and save as the one you want.

1up Quicktime 320X180 resolution Drydock map

1up WMV 640x360 resolution Drydock map

1up Quicktime 640x360 resolution Drydock map

Here are 3 links to the same version of 1up's Old Town map at different resolution and media player formats. Once again just right click and save the one you want.

1up Quicktime 320 x 180 resolution Old Town map

1up WMV 640x360 resolution Old Town map

1up Quicktime 640x360 resolution Old Town map

Kobold

morbidaza said:
Actually, I just found a shot that shows it. Look at the first shot here.

http://www.xboxyde.com/news_2506_en.html

Look at the guy that's a decent ways back into the screen on the left. You can see the shadow from something being cast over him, with a small patch unshaded.
The character in the dark in the left of the middle seems to have projective shadowing from a tree on itself and some sun on his leg. However, the character in front of the camera I don't know, it probably is projective. I don't see self-shadowing though! :)

Brimstone

Kobold said:
The character in the dark in the left of the middle seems to have projective shadowing from a tree on itself and some sun on his leg. However, the character in front of the camera I don't know, it probably is projective. I don't see self-shadowing though! :)

I'm not understanding this self-shadowing issue since the player models have normal maps.

Brimstone said:
I'm not understanding this self-shadowing issue since the player models have normal maps.
Normal maps won't help an arm cast a shadow over the body, for example.

Kobold, if the projected shadows are there, and the shadows are calculated in real time, they will be self shadowed. Blim already confirmed they are in single player. It appears to be using simple lightmaps in multiplayer, so selfshadowing is almost definitely not there in multiplayer.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Btw I was watching some rushes from my GRAW videos, and I heard in the background someone saying that the single player mode had a completely different engine than multiplayer. Both are dev separately and only share some art assets.

op_ivy

Blimblim said:
Btw I was watching some rushes from my GRAW videos, and I heard in the background someone saying that the single player mode had a completely different engine than multiplayer. Both are dev separately and only share some art assets.

ahhh, ok, vindication. i knew i had heard that somewhere

Blimblim said:

why would they do that?? will the transition between the two be seamless. i dont want to play songle player and have multiplayer look drastically different. if anything they shouldve focused more time and resources on the MP because that is this games moneymaker

Top Bottom