• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighters MP videos

Blimblim

The Inside Track
truffleshuffle83 said:
why would they do that?? will the transition between the two be seamless. i dont want to play songle player and have multiplayer look drastically different. if anything they shouldve focused more time and resources on the MP because that is this games moneymaker
Single player is developed by Ubisoft in France, Multiplayer by Redstorm in the US. They share the HUD and lots of the characters, but everything else is more or less developed as independant games.
Multiplayer has limitations that single hasn't, so I'd rather have two modes looking a bit different than a crippled single player.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Spaceman Spiff said:
I believe Tiwak is the studio handling the single-player campaign, right? Red Storm is responsible for the multiplayer engine.
Yeah it's mostly people from Tiwak, but they all moved to Paris (from Montpellier) to develop the game.

I welcome the idea of splitting development like that. The last thing we need right now is another MP-focused title with a shoddy SP campaign sloppily tacked on to it.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
AltogetherAndrews said:
I welcome the idea of splitting development like that. The last thing we need right now is another MP-focused title with a shoddy SP campaign sloppily tacked on to it.

or vice versa (cod2, i'm looking at you)

MbGCaM said:
926971_20050726_screen001.jpg

media5ns.jpg

MISSION FAILED.

I think that second shot looks awesome. It looks sharper than the original, I know it is smaller in size.

The above shot looks like it takes place during the level where everything is colored by the sun and then you go back to the same location at a different time of day and it looks different because of the lighting and shadows.

I am just trying to say comparing two different screenshots doesn't mean that that type of lighting doesn't exist in this game.

I remember after that trailer was shown at e3 actually screenshots were shown and showed off that same area and it looked pretty close except some of the lighting and shadows were missing. After hearing the recent previews it seems to be present.

I guess we won't really know until the game is actually released.

AltogetherAndrews said:
I really think people are exaggerating the excellence of the E3 video.

I never understood what so so great about it either. It seems people only started raving about the Ghost Recon E3 footage after its poor X05 showing; I don't recall the game being so widely praised last May, (but my memory often fails me... :p). I know that I was not too impressed when I first saw it. Hell, about the only part I thought was deserving of such praise was the building explosion towards the end, which was pretty damn spectacular, but otherwise, the E3 video was nothing special.

It's not perfect, but GRAW nonetheless looks more impressive to me now then it did at E3.

Spaceman Spiff said:
I never understood what so so great about it either. It seems people only started raving about the Ghost Recon E3 footage after its poor X05 showing; I don't recall the game being so widely praised last May, (but my memory often fails me... :p). I know that I was not too impressed when I first saw it. Hell, about the only part I thought was deserving of such praise was the building explosion towards the end, which was pretty damn spectacular, but otherwise, the E3 video was nothing special.

It's not perfect, but GRAW nonetheless looks more impressive to me now then it did at E3.

Yeah, I think that explosion sold it on pretty much everyone. That scene felt "alive" [can't think of a better word for it], but other than that I thought it looked just decent. Now, these recent clips are all from the multiplayer portion of the game, so it's hard to directly compare anything in these videos to a scripted scene like that explosion. Things should clear up once we get some SP footage.

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
morbidaza said:
Normal maps won't help an arm cast a shadow over the body, for example.

Kobold, if the projected shadows are there, and the shadows are calculated in real time, they will be self shadowed. Blim already confirmed they are in single player. It appears to be using simple lightmaps in multiplayer, so selfshadowing is almost definitely not there in multiplayer.
Yup, both there in single. No projective or self-sh. MP though, no worries, still looks sweet.

You can have projective and no self-sh or reverse though, depends on the lighting model for characters and enviroments I guess, in GR3 single it's prolly unified. :)

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
hgplayer1 said:
umm is this news to anyone? its news to me

http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1259/Tom-Clancys-Ghost-Recon-Advanced-Warfighter/p1/

the missions better be tough or it will be overkill having that many people.

The 1up preview also confirms 16 play online co-op.

Finally, Warfighter features a unique online co-op mode where you and up to 15 other players can go up against AI enemies to accomplish set scenarios. These online co-op missions are completely different from offline single-player sorties, as Redstorm puts it, "Often times, single-player missions don't translate well into a multiplayer co-op experience." We didn't see a whole lot of the co-op action during our gameplay session, but the potential for some highly replayable human versus CPU battles.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3147481&did=1

I just get giddy when I see how they captured the visceralness of firing the weapons with the over the shoulder view. For me, personally, its a great detail that was missing from GR2 on Xbox but was in GR2 for PS2/GC (though those versions adimittedly sucked). I love a good Ridley Scott-esque shaky camera during gunfire :D

HokieJoe

Shogmaster said:
My bad for actually thinking that you weren't talking out of your ass. Please don't mind me and stink on.

:lol

Damn Shog, you give no quarter. That was some funny shit though.

HokieJoe

hgplayer1 said:
umm is this news to anyone? its news to me

http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1259/Tom-Clancys-Ghost-Recon-Advanced-Warfighter/p1/

the missions better be tough or it will be overkill having that many people.

GR2 had a online co-op mode as well, so a bunch of Live friends could get together and fight the AI. It was executed very nicely. In GR2 I think you could crank the difficulty level up. It was anything BUT easy. In most cases, I had just as much fun playing co-op against the mission AI as I did any of the deathmatch, or team deathmatch stuff.

Just watched it. They pretty much hit the target video it looks like. Lighting looks absolutely incredible, and the city scape is damn near PGR3 levels.

Definitely the most impressive thing for the 360 I've seen so far, moreso than gears of war, imo.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
morbidaza said:
Just watched it. They pretty much hit the target video it looks like. Lighting looks absolutely incredible, and the city scape is damn near PGR3 levels.

Definitely the most impressive thing for the 360 I've seen so far, moreso than gears of war, imo.
Yeah this was the level I was talking about earlier in this topic, it really looks awesome thanks to the lighting and draw distance.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
copy and pasted from the 1up thread

op_ivy said:
there really wasnt much single player footage of graw, but what was shown looked pretty damn incredible to me. awesome lighting, textures and even animation, but the most impressive aspect is the sheer size and scope of the city. it looks completely believable.

i guess that level also had the building explosion like the e3 trailer, but they didnt show that in the 1up show :(

On a unrelated note....im wrapping up the singleplayer portion of GR2:Summit Strike. Solid game, but for a title that supposedly more polished than GR2, there are some unbeliebly sloppy points in it. But thankfully, the good outways the bad.....even if I had to literally enter a cheat to pass one mission :D

Kobold

AgentOtaku said:
On a unrelated note....im wrapping up the singleplayer portion of GR2:Summit Strike. Solid game, but for a title that supposedly more polished than GR2, there are some unbeliebly sloppy points in it. But thankfully, the good outways the bad.....even if I had to literally enter a cheat to pass one mission :D
Which level? I loved that game, didn't have to use cheats.

Blimblim said:
Single player is developed by Ubisoft in France, Multiplayer by Redstorm in the US. They share the HUD and lots of the characters, but everything else is more or less developed as independant games.
Multiplayer has limitations that single hasn't, so I'd rather have two modes looking a bit different than a crippled single player.
Ah, that reminds me somewhat of Chaos Theory.

Whatever works for them - though, right? :)

i have a feeling the single player will be pretty short, compared to previous games.

Its just everytime i hear NO loading and 1 huge enviroment the games seem to be pretty short. (GTA not included).

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Kabuki Waq said:
i have a feeling the single player will be pretty short, compared to previous games.

Its just everytime i hear NO loading and 1 huge enviroment the games seem to be pretty short. (GTA not included).
12 missions, each being between one hour and one hour and a half long.

Blimblim said:
12 missions, each being between one hour and one hour and a half long.

wow that would be awesome if true. althought I remember certian Rare ppl hyping kameo as being long and epic too. Seems most the time developers BS about game length.

Damn, the level on the 1up Show with the rain... shit. I dunno why but when I saw that I knew I had to get this. Everything else looked great, don't get me wrong, especially the helicopter portion. So nice.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Kabuki Waq said:
wow that would be awesome if true. althought I remember certian Rare ppl hyping kameo as being long and epic too. Seems most the time developers BS about game length.
Well I've been told this by a very trustworthy guy, not the project lead or even worse a random PR drone.
Also I've seen 3 different levels for about 30 minutes each, and the mission each time seemed far from over.

brandonh83 said:
Everything else looked great, don't get me wrong, especially the helicopter portion. So nice.

Tell me about it. The shadows of the Blackhawks's rotors passing over the mounted machine gun had me all :O

I haven't played a Ghost Recon game since the first one, but I've been sold on Advanced Warfighter since E3. I'll admit that my faith in the game was shaken a bit at X05, but damn if this latest SP footage doesn't make me forget that entirely!

If only they could've shown us the "exploding building" sequence so that we could compare it to the E3 footage. It looked spectacular then, and I'd like to see how it does now. Not long to wait, though! :D

Kobold said:
Which level? I loved that game, didn't have to use cheats.

2 sloppy points that stood out for me

- The Bunker hill Redux mission (which copies a similar mission in GR2 and ups the ante by making its at night): Horrible framerate throughout the entire mission that lasts forever and is fusteratingly difficult Not in the "challenging yet fun" sort of way, but the "cheap as respawning enemies and ai" way. Not to mention your squad AI is next to useless throughout the majority of the game. After litterally playing this mission for what felt like 50 or so times (hey i'm up to a challenge if its justified) I decided that "this wasn't fun" and promptly cheated past the level. I completed the rest of the game just fine, but that mission was just horrible
- I was one mission, cleared an enemy camp, everything was quiet and then I saved. I later came back and reloaded the save and when I enter a game, there was a Helo shooting in the face the moment I spawned......

....of course there is countless other little "peccadillos" I had quams with...but I still love the game so its all good. I just can't believe the shit that is able to get past QA sometimes and onto retail shelves

Kobold

AgentOtaku said:
2 sloppy points that stood out for me

- The Bunker hill Redux mission (which copies a similar mission in GR2 and ups the ante by making its at night): Horrible framerate throughout the entire mission that lasts forever and is fusteratingly difficult Not in the "challenging yet fun" sort of way, but the "cheap as respawning enemies and ai" way. Not to mention your squad AI is next to useless throughout the majority of the game. After litterally playing this mission for what felt like 50 or so times (hey i'm up to a challenge if its justified) I decided that "this wasn't fun" and promptly cheated past the level. I completed the rest of the game just fine, but that mission was just horrible
- I was one mission, cleared an enemy camp, everything was quiet and then I saved. I later came back and reloaded the save and when I enter a game, there was a Helo shooting in the face the moment I spawned......

....of course there is countless other little "peccadillos" I had quams with...but I still love the game so its all good. I just can't believe the shit that is able to get past QA sometimes and onto retail shelves
Whoaaaa!!

I finished the game twice, once on debug once on retail, and I wrote a review about it. I had to comment in the review about the Bunker Hill Redux level being one of the COOLEST most realistic levels ever in Ghost Recon.

I really loved that level, so freaking intense! That's what I imagine a war to look like at night. Countless enemies running up the hill, not just 5 dudes, but hundreds over all, explosions everywhere. You're right it was hard, but also, it was sooo intense. The AI of your mates was gruesome sometimes, especially since they kept getting killed so that the mission was over, but other then that I really digged that level especially.

Heh, how experiences can differ. :)

Mrbob

Blimblim said:
Yeah this was the level I was talking about earlier in this topic, it really looks awesome thanks to the lighting and draw distance.

You always have great quality vids. You should post your vids now that IGN and 1up have posted there! :D

I love the fact that you take a chopper to new areas between missions. This won't break up the flow of the game.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
The Blackhawk portions ruled!!

I love the part when the chopper lowers close to the ground and how dust particles and newspapers get kicked up from the chopper blades......awesome detail...

And the draw distance/detail is :eek:

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Mrbob said:
You always have great quality vids. You should post your vids now that IGN and 1up have posted there! :D
I'll nag the PR guy at Ubisoft France on monday, but I doubt I'll be able to change anything. They already let me understand that I should be grateful I've been allowed to film in the first place.

I love the fact that you take a chopper to new areas between missions. This won't break up the flow of the game.
Yeah, the chopper rides are awesome. The draw distance is incredible.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Blimblim said:
I'll nag the PR guy at Ubisoft France on monday, but I doubt I'll be able to change anything. They already let me understand that I should be grateful I've been allowed to film in the first place.

Do they not understand the fact your coverage of X360 smoke IGN and 1up??

Ubi are the ones who should be greatful they have you blim.....I am sure you caused many forum members to go out and buy Xbox 360s.....not to mention you helped expose some awesome sleeper games (Condemned comes to mind) thanks to your "10 minutes" videos...

I cannot thank you enough for all your hard work......

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Kleegamefan said:
Do they not understand the fact your coverage of X360 smoke IGN and 1up??

Ubi are the ones who should be greatful they have you blim.....I am sure you caused many forum members to go out and buy Xbox 360s.....not to mention you helped expose some awesome sleeper games (Condemned comes to mind) thanks to your "10 minutes" videos...

I cannot thank you enough for all your hard work......
Xboxyde is still and certainly always will be a niche site, where a *very* successful video will get 30.000 downloads (that condemned video for example got 33923 downloads so far). The only exception is the cam blue dragon trailer who was downloaded more than 60.000 times.
Compare this to the numbers of IGN/Gamespot/1up can announce and you'll quickly understand why stuff like this happens.
Hard work or not, the numbers are what matter for the publishers. They can't give an exclusive to me and risk the wrath of monster sites like IGN.
And the fact that I'm in France does not help either.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Maybe you could affiliate yourself with Canal+, all big internet sites need to be owned by media moguls :D

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Ghost said:
Maybe you could affiliate yourself with Canal+, all big internet sites need to be owned by media moguls :D
After what they did with Game One (french gaming TV)? I don't think it would be such a good idea ;)

Jerkface

Banned
Just nick stuff from them then sell it on eBay! :D

Screwing the "little" guy is ridiculous when you're selling their product just as much as the big guns.

Kobold said:
Whoaaaa!!

I finished the game twice, once on debug once on retail, and I wrote a review about it. I had to comment in the review about the Bunker Hill Redux level being one of the COOLEST most realistic levels ever in Ghost Recon.

I really loved that level, so freaking intense! That's what I imagine a war to look like at night. Countless enemies running up the hill, not just 5 dudes, but hundreds over all, explosions everywhere. You're right it was hard, but also, it was sooo intense. The AI of your mates was gruesome sometimes, especially since they kept getting killed so that the mission was over, but other then that I really digged that level especially.

Heh, how experiences can differ. :)

oh I agree with you....it WAS intense and immersive the first 15 times I played it....then eventually it descended into a formulaic/cheap reload fest

I really wanted to beat the mission, but eventually decided that i wouldn't endure anymore of the developers marginal efforts

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
I finished watching the Gamespot Prince Arrington interview, and it's pretty good. It has some character customization footage which I haven't seen anywhere else. It show the choosing of different faces, face paint, head gear, sun glasses, and so on. Prince Arrington gives a very articulate explanation of the focus of GRAW and it's goals.

Gamespot Prince Arrington GRAW interview link[/url]

Top Bottom