• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier |OT| The Future Is Here... Finally

Hmm. It seems as if the only way to enjoy this game wholeheartedly is to play Conflict and just steer clear of co-op and the campaign altogether. I've put 40 hours into Conflict and 20 minutes into the campaign. The latter is something that I'm more than happy to never touch again. The former, however, has been a complete blast. I'm grateful that I'm only interested in what is seemingly the most fun representation of the game, but it's sad to know that it struggles everywhere else.

I enjoyed the SP playing solo. Even went back to finish some challenges.
I recommend you finish it if nothing else to get the Smoke/EMP/Explosive launcher. :)

So, when is the DLC actually dropping? Also, Pyronite, if you could chime in on this, that would be much appreciated: are the new DLC weapons available for use/customization immediately or do they need to be unlocked in some way?

Why is there so much LAG and server issues still?

Yeah, when it's there, it's definitely bad, but the game does a surprisingly competent job of putting me into smooth local matches, so it's not something you should be subjecting yourself to; just back out and look for another match.

I've developed some mutually silent relationships (of both respect and hatred) with certain players due to the comparatively small community of GR:FS. Also, I'm pretty sure there are 3 other people in Australia that have downloaded the DLC. They're all quite good and roll in a party, so going up against them is both a joy and pain. Were it not for the extra weapons, I'd probably regret my purchase of the DLC somewhat.

It's seem that now the game is better at changing hosts as soon as it picks up LAG but you can still see a big overall delay on the kill cams.

Stockade is really good IMO but the XP needs a boost for that mode.

NEWSFLASH!

Console - July 25th Cloud Update

We will be pushing a Cloud Update to the Ghost Recon Future Soldier clients on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on July 25th at 10:00am EDT (14:00 UTC, 7:00 PDT, 16:00 CET).

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/695843-July-25th-Cloud-Update

Servers will be rebooted and players will need to reconnect to the service in order to receive the update. Expected duration of the downtime is less than 5 minutes.

Changes Include:

Increased XP Values for the Stockade Game Type
Decreased Stand Alone and Under Barrel HE Grenade Launcher Ammo Count to 1

Increased the Power of all Bolt Action Rifles (ex, MSR and KSVK)
Increased the Magazine Capacity of the VSS to 20 Rounds
Decreased the Speed of the Data Hack while Using the Field Computer
Fixed the UI’s Display of Several Alternate Spawn Locations

Please note that we will continue to monitor HE Grenade Launcher and Frag Grenade usage and make adjustments as necessary.

To verify that you have properly downloaded the Cloud Update, visit the Extras Menu and check the version number in the bottom right corner; it should read 1.X.5

i dont play either

i just post the news since I made the thread

And I thank you for that sir!

I still play it but the problems of this game aren't going to be fixed with some tweaks to ammo or gun damage.
People are leaving because this is a lagging mess. Even if you are on a "good game" you can see the lag on the kill cam and when you re-spawn.

The servers are also an embarrassment. Matchmaking keeps throwing me with US players and I can't play two hours without three or four server disconnects. AND no, it's no my connection. It's very common to join a game and everyone is complaining about the lag over the mic.

It's so disappointing because this IS a great mp game with genuinely new gameplay mechanics and team work thats gets ruined by a weak net code and lack of polishing.

zlatko

Banned
Yeah I'll be trading in this game towards Persona 4 Arena next week.

I hope for a sequel honestly. There's agood blue print here.

And I thank you for that sir!

I still play it but the problems of this game aren't going to be fixed with some tweaks to ammo or gun damage.
People are leaving because this is a lagging mess. Even if you are on a "good game" you can see the lag on the kill cam and when you re-spawn.

The servers are also an embarrassment. Matchmaking keeps throwing me with US players and I can't play two hours without three or four server disconnects. AND no, it's no my connection. It's very common to join a game and everyone is complaining about the lag over the mic.

It's so disappointing because this IS a great mp game with genuinely new gameplay mechanics and team work thats gets ruined by a weak net code and lack of polishing.

Lack of polish? Oui. There's no way anyone can deny that, but as far as your lag complaints go, it really isn't that bad for me; and that's largely due to the fact that impending lag is pretty easy to identify before a game, so I simply back out and save myself the frustration.

If I'm unable to find anything that isn't laggy and isn't a textbook case of one team getting steam-rolled, then I'm done with the game for the night. It's something that I've become accustomed to if the game isn't CoD: matches aren't as plentiful, you will come across the same players repeatedly and a lot of the time, a session with the game will just not pan out. Sure, it's annoying and it makes you feel as if you could have spent the last 1-2 hours doing something far more productive/fun, but such is life with smaller online communities.

ExReey

Just started playing this game, and it's a MASSIVE disappointment so far.
Mainly interested in the SP campaign (I don't care about military MP shooters anymore) I hoped it would be a spiritual successor to the great Advanced Warfighter games, but it's nothing like that.

Maybe I'm just not far enough in the game, but the levels are really cramped and linear. There's nothing like the large free-roaming levels in GRAW. To make matters worse, you seem to have no control over your teammates; all you can do is run behind them (like in CoD). And every couple of minutes, the game takes control of your char for an unnecessary cutscene, and I'm left wondering why I even "play" this game. If you want to make a CGI movie, don't release it as a game!

The worst part is the interface: i like to use the scenery and maps (like in GRAW) to find the easiest way to my target, but here the GUI is ubiquitous: look at these HORRIBLE screenshots:

eJoEj.jpg

vjofM.jpg

Notice the "Ghost Lead" AI on the second image; why can't I be the Ghost Lead? Who's playing the game here?

Please tell me everything gets better the further I advance in the game?

the levels open up a bit as the game goes forward, the 1st two are really linear to teach you how to use the equipment and techniques

the control of your teammates doesn't change, I actually preferred FS's approach to designating targets to pointing and telling your teammates where to go. The friendly A.I. can be great and godawful at parts of the game. There are several parts of the game where they get stuck for more consistently and wont show up to one of those "stack up at a door" checkpoints no matter how long you wait. This will prob happen to u and u will need to reload your last checkpoint to get past. But other than that (which is unforgivable) they work well actually helping you kill targets (maybe too well).

the game was built for co-op online play, I only played it in as high as 2 human players and just the 1 extra person adds much more enjoyment as the CPU is too much a of crutch you can lean on to take out enemies in SP. They are immune to getting spotted and they rarely ever miss a shot when synced up.

the interface didnt bother me either, they did a good job toning it down from the initial idea. Most of the stuff you see that people seem to like makes sense with the technology of the game where they are using augmented vision with their eyepiece. Not sure what you think the problem is with the 1st example and you've picked the absolute worst possible screen for the 2nd where the objective and orders screens popup for all of 5 seconds. It is far from cluttered the entire game.

Overall even in SP I enjoyed it a lot more than GRAW2 and I'd say its about tied with GRAW SP's for quality with this gen's other watered down Ghost Recon campaign.

Notice the "Ghost Lead" AI on the second image; why can't I be the Ghost Lead? Who's playing the game here?

Please tell me everything gets better the further I advance in the game?
I actually liked some of the UI overlay elements and none of them ever got in the way of the action, but in terms of what you're looking for, no, it really doesn't get much better as you progress. Areas get larger, and enemy positioning gets more complex, but its still an extremely linear experience overall.

the game was built for co-op online play, I only played it in as high as 2 human players and just the 1 extra person adds much more enjoyment as the CPU is too much a of crutch you can lean on to take out enemies in SP. They are immune to getting spotted and they rarely ever miss a shot when synced up.
You can miss a sync shot? It actually locks you on target in single player and co-op so I wouldn't think that'd be possible. The only problem is if your target moves around a corner or is out of range.

:(

I'd assumed that once you Level 50'd a class, every respective weapon of the two factions could be interchanged, rather than being able to select only one. The Bodark Scout actually has nothing to offer to its Ghost counterpart. Oh, well.

Level 50 Scout + Level 44 Engineer + Level 44 Rifleman

= Level 138 MaybeIshouldgooutsideorsomething.

Kudos, Ubi/Red Storm. You have consumed 2 and a half days of my life.

NEWS TIME ONCE AGAIN

PlayStation 3 - A notice regarding the Arctic Strike DLC

http://ghost-recon.ubi.com/gr-portal/en-GB/news/news_detail.aspx?c=tcm:21-59096&ct=tcm:6-231-32

On July 19th, some PlayStation 3 users who bought the Arctic Strike DLC were experiencing a “DLC Trial Period Expired” error when launching Ghost Recon Future Soldier.

The correct package is now available in the PlayStation Store. Sony Computer Entertainment recommends European PlayStation 3 users who downloaded the Arctic Strike DLC prior to July 26th to re-download the DLC package at their earliest convenience. To do this, the users should go to the PlayStation Store and get the Arctic Strike DLC again from their download list. No progression or achievements will be lost. Users won’t be charged additional fees.

PC - Title Update 1.4 and Free Exclusive Content

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/700405-Title-Update-1-4-and-Free-Exclusive-Content

Ghost Recon PC players,

Ubisoft and its development studios are excited to see the passion of the Ghost Recon Future Soldier PC community and want to honor the dedication and loyalty of the community by working with you, the players, to improve the game experience.

While a majority of players have enjoyed their experience with Ghost Recon Future Soldier on PC, we are conscious that many of you have encountered issues with the game. We would like to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

With the help of your feedback, we have identified several issues and are working hard to address them as rapidly as possible.

Title Update 1.4

The next Title Update will be available on August 13th and features the following:

Compatibility, performance, stability, graphics improvements and more - taking your feedback directly into account;
Improved FPS on all configurations;
Fixes for several stability issues during map loading;
God-Rays no longer disappear;
Fixed some localization issues;
Fixed some issues causing the display of hint icons from X360 controller when disconnected.

We greatly appreciate your patience and we want to reassure you that we will do whatever it takes to resolve further issues in as efficient a manner as possible.

Exclusive content

Ghost Recon Future Soldier PC players will benefit from free exclusive content:

2 exclusive developer weapon skins will be added to the game with the 1.4 Title Update;
In about one month, a second Title Update will be released with further improvements. This Title Update will also feature additional free bonus content including:
A special hardcore mode for the campaign;
Night variants of two adversarial maps;
The full original soundtrack of the game along with new desktop wallpapers and artwork will be delivered in the next few days through the Uplay client and will be available until August 13th: get ready to grab it while it lasts!

We would also like to take the opportunity to confirm that support for Windows XP is in progress, with the exact release date to be announced soon.

Again, we wish to thank you for your patience and apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced. Our community is our top priority and we want to do everything we can to provide you with the level of service you deserve.

more news for the 2 of you that still play this game

Respec Tokens and Challenges Evolution

http://ghost-recon.ubi.com/gr-portal/en-GB/news/news_detail.aspx?c=tcm:21-59312&ct=tcm:6-231-32

Dear Ghosts,

Since the latest updates went live, Ubisoft studios are working on several improvements including an evolution for the Respec and Challenges systems.
3 Respec Tokens offered on August 7th

On August 7th, following the regular maintenance, everyone with an active profile in Ghost Recon Future Soldier adversarial multiplayer will receive 3 Respec Tokens for their account. These Tokens will allow you to re-select decision points and can be used on any of your characters. They will not reset the level of your characters.

Progression

Along with this Tokens distribution, the Challenges statistics will be reset. This means that Challenges will revert to their starting values and should not be excessively difficult to complete. This won’t affect your player’s statistics and Challenges will still escalate normally as players complete them.

The regular maintenance should begin at 10 am UTC and its estimated length is 1.30 hour.

Worldwide Schedule / Time Zone information

· PDT: Tuesday August 7th at 3 am
· EDT: Tuesday August 7th at 6 am
· BST: Tuesday August 7th at 11 am
· CET: Tuesday August 7th at 12:00
· Sydney: Tuesday August 7th at 8 pm

What’s next?

In the future, Respec Tokens will be a thing of the past. With the next Title Update, you will no longer need a Respec Token to reselect decision points. The method of performing a Respec will remain identical; however the game will no longer check for or consume a token. You will be able to Respec at any time through Gunsmith, but you won’t be able to Respec during a match since we feel it is important that a player’s decision points still hold some weight.

Challenges will be reset periodically. We are going to monitor the pace at which players complete and escalate challenges before determining the exact frequency of the reset, but we expect it will occur regularly.

We hope you’re as excited as we are for these changes. See you soon online!

This game is in my backlog and im ready to release it from its confines any recommendations for coop play? Multi? Anyone playing this on PSN?

Jawmuncher

So my friend bought this game for us to play and I gotta say i'm pretty let down by it.

I don't remember much of playing GRAW 1 (never played GRAW 2)

But this doesn't even feel like Ghost Recon anymore.
I keep thinking i'm playing Gears of War with some stealth thrown in.

Not to mention the levels are really long, and totally kill the mood when each level goes.
Get here for extraction LOL nevermind you have more shit to do. They do that on like every other mission and it's pretty annoying.

It's not a bad game though, just not what I was expecting for the future of the Ghost Recon franchise. Would love it to go back to it's more tactical roots like it was on the OG xbox. But like Resident Evil were probbaly way past that ever happening again.

Anyone still play this on PS3? I would love playing with someone...the campaign isn't bad, but i'm really digging the multiplayer, once i had a grip on the controls a good 5 hours of my life magically disappeared. This feels like what i would have imagined Socom brought into the current gen should have been like. Anyway if anyone still plays and wants to squad up my PSN is the same as my name on here.

I'm liking this game a whole lot more than I thought I would. Nice with a change of pace, warts and all.

edit: though, watching the live action stuff doesn't work. It really doesn't mesh with the game. Notice how the cloak guy has an actual cloak? Feels more reasonable than the shit that goes on in the game.

I'm liking this game a whole lot more than I thought I would. Nice with a change of pace, warts and all.

edit: though, watching the live action stuff doesn't work. It really doesn't mesh with the game. Notice how the cloak guy has an actual cloak? Feels more reasonable than the shit that goes on in the game.

yeah the Ghost Recon Alpha short film was based off the original "vision" for the game, which was a good deal different. They toned down the sci-fi stuff a lot in what finally got released at retail. I guess they didnt want their footage to go to waste so they put it out there anyway.

Man, this "banter" ... the game itself feels more like GR than I had thought (well, this warhound stuff doesn't), but this personality shit is wearing on me. What is this, Bad Company?

PATCH NEWS

PC - TITLE UPDATE 1.4

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/708154-Title-Update-1-4-is-available-Forums

Ghost Recon PC players,

We’re happy to announce that Title Update 1.4 is now available.

If your PC is connected to the Internet when you launch Ghost Recon Future Soldier, an auto downloader will pop up to inform you that a game update is available for download and installation. To verify that TU 1.4 is correctly installed, check for the following in-game version number on the main menu: 1.2.120803.

Important notice

After installing Title Update 1.4, players will be unable to participate in online matches with players who have not updated;
Title Update 1.4 is currently an optional update but will become mandatory later this week. At that time, Uplay will require players to update their game client in order to play.

Known issues and workarounds

Steam version on Windows Vista: After applying the patch, the desktop shortcut will not work.
Solution: The player can start the game directly from the Steam Library. This issue will be fixed as soon as possible.
The News Feed will disappear if the player changes their selection on the main menu.
Solution: The player can see the News Feed when reentering the main menu page. This issue will be fixed in the next Title Update.
Manual installation: the game uninstall window will launch when trying to re-install Title Update 1.4 manually.
Solution: do not try to manually install TU 1.4 twice.

Change log

Taking your feedback into account, we have improved Compatibility, Performance, Stability, Graphics and more.
Global improvements in FPS for all configurations.
Fixes several stability issues that occurred during map loading.
God-Rays will no longer disappear.
Fixed several localization issues.
Fixed several issues that caused the display of Xbox 360 icons after a controller was disconnected.

Manual installation
To manually install Title Update 1.4, download and run the file located here: http://static3.cdn.ubi.com/grfs/GRFS_1.4.exe
Do not attempt a manual update for the Steam version of GRFS. Manual update of the Steam version is unsupported.

Again, we wish to thank you for your patience.

See you online!

It's pretty sad when the game tries to be some other game. Granted that GR has been action-focused for some time, but this one actually gets closer to the feel of the original during the stealth missions... and then they shit all over that with A-team sequences.

Oh, and remember how stupid the shields were in MW2? You know, the riot shields that were used as ballistic shields? So they are in this game too. And this from the company that actually has had ballistic shields in its games before.

Dave1988

Anybody still playing this on PS3? I got this game not long ago and I would love to play with fellow gaffers.

PSN is Dave1988. Shoot me a message telling me you're from GAF.

I decided to keep the game on ps3 but in the middle of a crazy schedule but looking for coop partners. Message me on psn name is same as handle here. Make sure you put gaf in message as well.

Urgh. The COD-envy is strong with this one. Dumb since it's like the best shooter of this generation when it sticks to being Ghost Recon.

I realize that this is basically a repeat comment, but that's how the damned game goes. Wicked awesome Ghost Recon --> boom, chase scene, "RPGs on the rooftops!" Rinse, repeat.

Dave1988

Does anyone still play this reguarly on the PS3? I'm digging the MP portion but playing without a competent team is just a fucking nightmare. :/

Did this part make it into the game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG1vIOtXPC0

That's the demo that got me interested in the game back in 2010 but it seems like they changed the game a lot since then.

they salvaged some of that mission and put it near the end of the Nigeria mission, and the retail version still plays similar to what was shown in that demo

the art/graphics style havechanged significantly though and not for the better and they toned down the HUD, gadgets, sci-fi elements from their original vision for the game

Going online is broken at the moment. It freezes on the main menu if you are logged in.
They are working on a fix.
Another nail in the coffin for an already shrinking community :(

NEWS

DLC - RAVEN STRIKE

RELEASE DATE: September 11th
PRICE: 1200 Microsoft Points or $14.99 for PS3
PLATFORMS: 360 & PS3

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/710024-Raven-Strike-DLC-available-on-September-11

ghostreconfuturesoldiera.jpg

We are glad to announce a second DLC package for Ghost Recon Future Soldier. Raven Strike will be a throwback to traditional Ghost Recon gameplay. It features larger maps, complex missions and an increased level of difficulty. The DLC contains three campaign missions and a new Guerilla Mode map, each playable with up to four players.

NORTH AMERICA: Raven Strike will be available on September 11th, 2012 for 1200 Microsoft points on Xbox Live or $14.99 on the PlayStation Network. It can be pre-ordered on PlayStation Network at GameStop and Best Buy.
EUROPE: Raven Strike will be available on September 11th, 2012 on Xbox 360 for 1200 Microsoft points and September 12th, 2012 on PlayStation 3 for 14.99€.

Raven Strike includes:

3 new missions in Campaign Mode

Secure Dawn: A foggy marsh in Kazakhstan, the Ghosts are not allowed access to advanced technology (no optical camouflage, drone or sensor grenade).

ghostreconfuturesoldierv.jpg

Cold Walker: A train depot on the Russian countryside.

ghostreconfuturesoldierb.jpg

Argent Thunder: A night time urban setting in Moscow.

ghostreconfuturesoldierk.jpg

1 new map in Guerrilla Mode

Sawmill: Face 50 waves of enemies on the foggy Russian countryside

ghostreconfuturesoldierx.jpg

The development team is also working on further DLC content, planned for release later this fall.

and

CONSOLE - August 22nd Cloud Update

http://ghost-recon.ubi.com/gr-portal/en-GB/news/news_detail.aspx?c=tcm:21-61393&ct=tcm:6-231-32

August 22nd Cloud Update

A Cloud Update has been pushed to PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

This Cloud Update includes the following changes:

· Increased the damage of the M91/30 and M40 Rifles.
· Increased the magazine size and damage for the Type 05.
· Increased the ammo count for stand-alone Smoke and EMP launchers back to 2 rounds.
· Slightly increased the recoil on the CZ805 and F2000 to more closely match the other Assault Rifles.
· Decreased the Sentry Turret’s detection range and damage, increased the Sentry’s turn speed.
· Increased the randomization of spawn points on Alpha for the Siege gametype.
· Moved a conflict objective on Harbor to decrease its vulnerability to snipers.
· Fixed an issue where Ghosts were occasionally hearing Bodark announcer voice-over.
· Fixed several minor exploits with the Stockade gametype.
· Fixed several other minor bugs.

As with any Cloud Update, you won’t have to download anything on your console: the changes are transparent and happen in the background. To verify that you have properly downloaded the Cloud Update, visit the Extras Menu and check the version number in the bottom right corner; it should read #.#.6.

Find out more about the latest updates for Ghost Recon Future Soldier:

Holy shit. Campaign DLC?

Am I dreaming?

Now you've got my interest. Will buy happily if the price and length/challenge is reasonable.

Now if only they could tweak Guerilla mode to be more fun - maybe scale it for less than three or four players so that me and my co-op partner don't just huddle up in the exact same spots every time. Or larger levels with more than two bases. Or of course, integrating Gunsmith.
Or all of the above.

Still, campaign DLC is a great thing to see.

on the fence about the DLC

only thing that redeems this game for me is if this "future DLC" they are hinting at includes a Co-Op Elimination / Firefight mode

Well... that felt like half a game.

And way to end the game with a fucking chase, and then an on-rails thing. And it was going so GR before that!

God damn it.

Top Bottom