• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective |OT| Spoiler: The Main Character Dies

LiK

Volcynika said:
The park, where you have to use Missle's swap ability

oh, easy. when he gets on the spinning globe, make the globe spin faster to get more time.

Ending spoilers:
zigg said:
You know, with that convenient Temsik fragment lodged in Jowd's leg, Jowd himself is a vehicle for further powers-of-the-dead making.

Do I hear a SEQUEL TEASE

The fact that the shard is still inside Sissel's body and he remembers everything is much likely a sequel tease. Or at least doesn't rule out a sequel, even though the story ends without leaving anything unexplained.

Jintor

Volcynika said:
I'm stuck at Chapter

I kinda have the general idea of what to do, but I'm completely lost in how to do it. Something with switching the round objects to stop the guy running. Hrm.

If you've gotten to the tree, the umbrella can be 'tricked' more than once.

Farmboy

Caution: Yet more ending spoilers!

Versipellis said:
On the other hand:
If the cat didn't die, then I don't know why he's still young, since the power of the meteor can return a body to 4 minutes before a death (thus giving immortality). But without a death in the beginning, that shouldn't apply.

My interpretation is that
the cat didn't die, but its body became immortal due to the shard becoming lodged into it the same way it became lodged into Yomiels in the original timeline. The powers of Yomiel's, Missile's and Sissel's souls manifest themselves when they die in proximity of (a shard of) the meteor. The effect it has on Yomiel's and Sissel's bodies is that they are frozen in time (in terms of their physical state). This effect is material and manifests itself only in bodies in which a meteor fragment becomes lodged.

The difference is that Yomiel was killed by the impact of the meteor - thus setting free his 'ghost powers' at the same time his body is rendered immortal -- the body thus becomes an empty, but nevertheless ageless and indestructible, shell. Sissel was only rendered unconcious, so he remains a living soul inside a now immortal body. The brief flash showing Sissels burning soul in the 'ghost world', at the very end, doesn't show any other cores in proximity, so at this point Sissel might not even be able to move out of his body -- presumably because he's not dead.

At least, that's what I think. I guess we'll only know for sure if there's ever a sequel.

ending spoilers!
Farmboy said:
Caution: Yet more ending spoilers!

My interpretation is that
the cat didn't die, but its body became immortal due to the shard becoming lodged into it the same way it became lodged into Yomiels in the original timeline. The powers of Yomiel's, Missile's and Sissel's souls manifest themselves when they die in proximity of (a shard of) the meteor. The effect it has on Yomiel's and Sissel's bodies is that they are frozen in time (in terms of their physical state). This effect is material and manifests itself only in bodies in which a meteor fragment becomes lodged.

IIRC,
They explain the immortality of Yomiel's body with the meteor's power to bring something back to 4 minutes before its death. Maybe I just misread that part - it didn't sound too convincing, though.

Jintor

Versipellis said:
ending spoilers!

IIRC,
They explain the immortality of Yomiel's body with the meteor's power to bring something back to 4 minutes before its death. Maybe I just misread that part - it didn't sound too convincing, though.

Ending spoilers:

I'm not sure, since Yomiel didn't have that ability, I think the thing the meteor does is a sepearate ability

suzu

Graphics Horse said:
End Spoilers:
Had anyone else worked out
Sissel's true identity by the beginning of Chapter 15?
At least I think that's when I realised, it might have been earlier.
I figured it out when
they showed the cat jumping out of the bag he was holding, when he got shot at the junkyard.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I wanted to play more so badly today, but I decided to save the rest for my six hour train ride tomorrow. I'm itching to dive back in though.

LiK

The_Technomancer said:
I wanted to play more so badly today, but I decided to save the rest for my six hour train ride tomorrow. I'm itching to dive back in though.

6 hours? you should be done by the end of the ride :)

Turnstyle

Oh God, am I being really dumb here?

I've just started chapter 5, I'm totally stuck. I have no idea what to do!

I've been tooling around in the Supers office, but I can't seem to do much aside from put the lid down on the kettle :eek:/ Can anyone give me a small hint to help me along?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Just Finished Chapter 9, nothing to amazing plot twisty story wise, just some puzzling and setting up. I am going to make one guess though about something.

The Main character is the guy who was in the now empty cell. Its a thought. Still think the guy in the office is the Justice Minster, but he may also be someone with the military or other high office.

Or, for an alternative, after finishing 9, I think the main character could of been the one shot 10 years ago, but that has a bit to many plot holes to jump to that conclusion yet. More likely, the lamp may of been the man shoot 10 years ago

For Chapter 5, three words.
Tennis Ball, Timing.

If you aren't even at that part though, where you have to stop the machine, I am not really sure how to help.

Jintor

Turnstyle said:
Oh God, am I being really dumb here?

I've just started chapter 5, I'm totally stuck. I have no idea what to do!

I've been tooling around in the Supers office, but I can't seem to do much aside from put the lid down on the kettle :eek:/ Can anyone give me a small hint to help me along?

There's a bunch of things you can do there, i'm not sure at which point you're at though

You gotta do something to get the officer to look at Lynne's diary, I'm pretty sure. If not... uh... use the steam to attract his attention?

Turnstyle

Thanks everyone.

I just figured it out.

I had to wait for the officer at the police station to pin a note to the wall so I could manipulate it.

I was rushing around too much I think. Tip for anyone starting to play the game - make sure you wait for each scene to play out before trying to do anything!

Mdk7

I beat it today, what an AMAZING experience!
It got me terribly hooked: during the last 3-4 days on every free moment i turned on my DS just to breathe that kickass universe and to perform a few ghost tricks.

The art direction is top notch, the atmosphere's amazing, the characters have great, zany personalities and even if the gameplay is a little peculiar (i'd even say "stiff", from a certain point of view), i loved every single moment of it.
Beatiful, beautiful game... i hope it sells well, even if i fear it will kinda bomb. :(

PS: IMHO the ending here is far more surprising and satisfying than the true ending of 999. :p

Jonnyram

Chapter 14 was a total bitch, imho.
It was an awesome turning point in the game, but to give you such a dastardly puzzle was quite harsh.

First of all, I had an issue with the fact that you could not swap the balls with the spinning globe shape - that didn't make much sense. Second, the fact that you can open the umbrella AFTER it says "damn, that was close." The whole thing was a little misleading. Anyway now on to chapter 15 which everyone seems to be raving about.

faridmon

Shu Takumi... I just hope It has better writing and story than AT4, god that was a dissapointment if there ever was one.

Can't wait to buy this next week.

teeny

Fantastic game, bought this over the weekend and haven't been able to put it down.

Saw it in CEX today, though, for £18, which is insane (and sad) considering how new it is.

v0yce

Any news on when we'll get it on iOS in the states?

Listening to 8-4 they act like that's the version to get.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
jigglywiggly said:
How do I get this FUCKING GUITAR RIFF out of my head?

It's not even music!

ba-da-BOW, ba-da-BOW, ba-DA-bow, ba-DA-boooow.

v0yce

The Main Event said:
Why is that?

Picked it up yesterday. Awesome so far!

I think just that it'd be twice the resolution and half the price. No extra content or anything like that.

zigg

ZealousD said:
So guys, what's your favorite track from the OST?

Dunno. I didn't get the OST. Not that I'm complaining, because I got a review copy of the game, but I wish there was somewhere I could buy it from.

Grisby

Up to Ch5. Great game and I love the character designs. Missile is in the early lead for best new character of 2011.

"Welcome!"

Boney

Banned
zigg said:
Okay, now I need to change my avatar back. I just confused myself looking at this page of posts.
bKW7O.gif

stupei

Does the Gametrailers review have spoilers? I really want to pimp this game and thought it'd be nice to show some of the beautiful animations, but I know they have a history of major spoilers and I'm not far enough along in the game yet myself that I want to risk it.

stupei said:
Does the Gametrailers review have spoilers? I really want to pimp this game and thought it'd be nice to show some of the beautiful animations, but I know they have a history of major spoilers and I'm not far enough along in the game yet myself that I want to risk it.
It has an enormous spoiler of one of the best puzzles in the game. Thankfully I've watched it after completing the game.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
stupei said:

It's pretty safe. I'd say the only "spoiler" in it relates to a character that's revealed in the first couple chapters. It shows the "solution" of one puzzle but not the steps to get there. There's a single line of dialog that's from the end of the game, but the background, setting, and involved characters are obscured so you lack any sort of context for it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
zigg said:
Ending spoilers, sequel talk:

You know, with that convenient Temsik fragment lodged in Jowd's leg, Jowd himself is a vehicle for further powers-of-the-dead making.

Do I hear a SEQUEL TEASE

Also why the heck is it Jowd and not Jord. Jord sounds better!
I will be shocked if there is no Sequel (Heck, I will be surprised if Capcom doesn't do a 3DS upport)

The Blue people were left more or less a mystery, their plot was never really tied up. The Lady having a 6th scene most likely implies that the nation was doing other paranormal research, so likely their nation will be addressed again. Plus, the Scoth guy or how ever they spelled it the one time they said his name escaped with the fragment, I bet you he died and gained some sort of powers. I also expect some elaboration of the Digging guy's whole hook up in the cell, and maybe even some idea of where the Rock Kid went during his Escape. Plus, I want to know who was in the empty cell, there is that one line that more or less went "Well, the only dangerous one it gone now"

Drkirby said:
I will be shocked if there is no Sequel (Heck, I will be surprised if Capcom doesn't do a 3DS upport)

The Blue people were left more or less a mystery, their plot was never really tied up. The Lady having a 6th scene most likely implies that the nation was doing other paranormal research, so likely their nation will be addressed again. Plus, the Scoth guy or how ever they spelled it the one time they said his name escaped with the fragment, I bet you he died and gained some sort of powers.
I assume you finished the game, so:
Let's assume the Blue Nation were doing some paranormal research. The reason they should do it? The "deal" Yomiel proposed to them and his human manipulations (which gave the Blues some hints about his powers). The "general" fled with the fragment, ok. But whose fragment was that? Yomiel's.
The problem is, in the "new" present, Yomiel never proposed a deal to the Blues (no revenge is sought out) and Yomiel never got hit by the meteor. Thus, probably, the "new-present" Blues don't know a thing about the meteor, and the "general" never stole the fragment, since he never had the opportunity to do so. The idea of him dying (why? his mini-sub seems 100% functional and the second torpedo is launched a lot of minutes after his departure) and somehow altering the new timeline is a bit farfetched.

And there's the snazzy spoiler thread now: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418942 :D

Top Bottom