• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghosts of White People Past: Witnessing White Flight From an Asian Ethnoburb

Status
Not open for further replies.
This line is honestly what I feel is the most poignant:

Somehow white parents’ liberal politics and progressivism do not inform them that the decision to relocate to avoid Asians is racism. They’ve defined the term so narrowly, their own individual acts of prejudice don’t meet it.
This type of attitude is pervasive on GAF, of all places, but it's rubbish, as there is no scale where supporting progressive causes and not hating other racial groups makes it okay to look upon another group with disdain.

Timbuktu

This type of attitude is pervasive on GAF, of all places, but it's rubbish, as there is no scale where supporting progressive causes and not hating other racial groups makes it okay to look upon another group with disdain.

It doesn't sound exactly like disdain... It reads like Asians pushing up the median grade would hurt their college chances too and they probably should start thinking about spreading into other, more mixed, school districts.

It doesn't sound exactly like disdain... It reads like Asians pushing up the median grade would hurt their college chances too and they probably should start thinking about spreading into other, more mixed, school districts.
I don't really mean it regarding just this topic, but it's just around. Here's an example:

There was a women claiming to be much older than the record as well a few years ago, came up false. I doubt he is 140 that is insane, but if he is, don't let the Chinese have him, they'd dust him up for some billionaire as an anti age powder
Came out of nowhere in a thread unrelated to this. Like what? And then there was that whole thread about the Snapchat filter that gave you slit eyes and buckteeth, where a bunch of people were saying it's not offensive.

On topic, though, I do appreciate that the author went ahead and made that point to cut off any "it's not racist" justifications. I think the big takeaway here is that, just because a lot of racial stereotypes for Asians are positive (so good a math, smarter than "normal" kids, "model minority," etc.), it doesn't mean that those stereotypes aren't harmful, since they still push an entire group away as different and perpetually foreign. The parents moving their kids away in this instance is a good example of this having real, tangible effects.

Does class ranking actually affect college admission rates? I'd always figured universities normalized that stuff like how GPA means nothing anymore due to high schools giving extra points for taking AP/IB courses.

SRG01

To add on this, narrow definitions are the anathema of progressivism, which is why many movements have trended towards intersectionality instead of their traditional bases.

Oxn

I am one lazy ass and unmotivated Asian.

i dont want people having high expectations of me. It puts the pressure on me to do more, which i dun..hukjhiuyg

The problem is having the desire to flee from "Asians" creating some mystically unattainable standard instead of the having the desire to do the most you can for your child's education so that they can be successful through actual ability and not relative lack of mediocrity

The connections you can make while earning a "name-brand diploma" are probably worth more than the learning.

Exactly. The education is mostly irrelevant. What matters are the networking opportunities. Not to mention that many companies (especially in areas of law, business, and finance) only recruit and hire from the top universities. Just as an easy example, someone graduating from Rutgers is at an immense disadvantage compared to an individual graduating from Harvard, regardless of their respective intelligence and capability.

danm999

This sounds incredibly similar to what you hear (or heard; I haven't listened in a while) in Australia from some racist whites. Asian kids receiving tutoring and coaching. Blowing out academic expectations. Taking all the top spots at selective schools and dominating many courses at universities.

I am one lazy ass and unmotivated Asian.

i dont want people having high expectations of me. It puts the pressure on me to do more, which i dun..hukjhiuyg
as a dumb asian these articles aren't helping my case
As a smart black dude, he has my sympathy. It's why Is say this kind of racism is just as damaging, just in the opposite direction.
Not that I doubt any of you, but--and I know this is just anecdotal--I've noticed a massive gulf in self-esteem between Asians and blacks, in particular. I wonder if this can be attributed to expectations of us based on stereotype, where the bar is set at different heights for each group. I wonder if tiger moms putting down Asians' achievements contributes to this, as well.

platocplx

Exactly. The education is mostly irrelevant. What matters are the networking opportunities. Not to mention that many companies (especially in areas of law, business, and finance) only recruit and hire from the top universities. Just as an easy example, someone graduating from Rutgers is at an immense disadvantage compared to an individual graduating from Harvard, regardless of their respective intelligence and capability.
This is totally incorrect. A huge disadvantage? Lmao please.

I know people who are CEOs from regular ass colkeges and only have a bachelors you are totally overstating this

Mine moved to the poorer part of a wealthy suburb they couldn't afford for the school district when I was 4, and I wound up in the same boat as you, right down to having those same pictures of being The White One in HS. Since my parents had no knowledge of what to do in school or how to get into college because they were blue collar HS grads, I just kinda learned from and copied my friends on what classes to take, why AP was good, how to prepare for SAT, what work was needed to be done, and what objective standards to hold myself to since I was as smart as they were, etc.

I benefited tremendously from those dastardly Chinese and Korean friends of mine.

Haha, sounds a lot like my situation, though for me it was before HS. In HS I went again out of district to a magnet school, so while I wasn't a minority anymore it was still pretty diverse (er... except for black students I guess, now that I think back).

Something I got a lot in middle school was my friend's parents being surprised that they invited a white friend over, and then further surprise that I was smart, haha. I would get a lot of comments like, "So (my son) tells me you're very smart, you have some of the best grades, that's very good." Also my taking-off-my-shoes-in-the-house game was on-point.

Simplet

I'm reading this article and I don't see anything that necessarily points to a massive racism problem from the white people "fleeing". The article itself spells very clearly why it might actually be a rational decision for these people to leave the district in order to maximize their childen's opportunities.

The article is sprinkled with some anecdotal quotes that suggest that some of these white people have stereotyped views of asians, that doesn't necessarily means that racism is motivating everyone's decision to leave, especially if they have objective reasons to do it.

Git gud at schools white kids.

Didn't study in US, but I really should be grateful to white kids, otherwise I wouldn't have gain confidence in myself.

Git gud at schools white kids.

Didn't study in US, but I really should be grateful to white kids, otherwise I wouldn't have gain confidence in myself.

Another bootstraps argument, followed by a statement just as ok as white kids being grateful to black kids for the same reason.

numble

This is totally incorrect. A huge disadvantage? Lmao please.

I know people who are CEOs from regular ass colkeges and only have a bachelors you are totally overstating this
It is totally correct. First off, by CEO, you mean a publicly listed company right? Anyone can be a "CEO" of a randomly set up company.

But even being CEO of a random company on the stock market is an uncommon thing, and usually is based on a very specific psychological type. When it comes to competition for investment banking and consulting jobs, prestigious grad schools, law schools and medical schools, Harvard grads definitely have a huge advantage.

Hypron

Another bootstraps argument, followed by a statement just as ok as white kids being grateful to black kids for the same reason.

The bootstraps argument had some value in this case though. We're not talking about a well off vs. poor situation, or a majority vs oppressed minority situation (if anything the white kids have the advantage there). The white and Asian families in this situation live in the same neighborhoods (to begin with) and are similarly well off. There's no biological difference that makes Asian kids smarter so the only thing left is how hard they study.

But we don't say this to just any low-medium economic household who can't afford tutoring for their students to keep up.

It's essentially a boostraps argument.

That's not the kind of people being talked about. We're talking about people who live in neighborhoods with a median home value of a million plus (at least in Cupertino.) We're talking about people with a gross family income of $130,000 or so. These ARE people who can afford to keep up; they just don't want to.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It's a race to averageness and an easy mode life

parents claimed that the academic tutoring Asian students received outside of school resulted in the “elementary school curriculum … being sped up to accommodate them.”

But I could see this being a legit problem. The afterschool tutoring thing is a norm for some asian-american families. As a teacher you are dealing with kids that are dealing with the normal curriculum that will end up completely lost because you also feel the need to accommodate the after school tutoring class. While not striving for being average and instead looking to enrich our lowering academic output is ideal, some of the kids that are stuck in afterschool programs don't seem to have much of a childhood.

It's a race to averageness and an easy mode life

But I could see this being a legit problem. The afterschool tutoring thing is a norm for some asian-american families. As a teacher you are dealing with kids that are dealing with the normal curriculum that will end up completely lost because you also feel the need to accommodate the after school tutoring class. While not striving for being average and instead looking to enrich our lowering academic output is ideal, some of the kids that are stuck in afterschool programs don't seem to have much of a childhood.

Kids can skip grades

Admittedly it was a crass statement on my part, but I was not at all referring to those children that come from less fortunate backgrounds. I have nothing but respect for them.

Im talking about people who spend more time complaining about how the Lecturers didn't spoon feed them with exam questions than they do studying. And spend three years thinking I'm magic or something.

Tripon

Eh, this shit is nothing new. Welcome to being Asian in America. (Before anybody asks, yes I am Cambodian-Chinese American, traditionally one of the lowest performing in academics and standardized testing demographics among Asians and overall)

I'm reading this article and I don't see anything that necessarily points to a massive racism problem from the white people "fleeing". The article itself spells very clearly why it might actually be a rational decision for these people to leave the district in order to maximize their childen's opportunities.

The article is sprinkled with some anecdotal quotes that suggest that some of these white people have stereotyped views of asians, that doesn't necessarily means that racism is motivating everyone's decision to leave, especially if they have objective reasons to do it.

Would these people have left if the school situation was the same but it was a majority white populace?

That's not the kind of people being talked about. We're talking about people who live in neighborhoods with a median home value of a million plus (at least in Cupertino.) We're talking about people with a gross family income of $130,000 or so. These ARE people who can afford to keep up; they just don't want to.

I see no reason to assume that is the case in all or even most of these situations.

platocplx

It is totally correct. First off, by CEO, you mean a publicly listed company right? Anyone can be a "CEO" of a randomly set up company.

But even being CEO of a random company on the stock market is an uncommon thing, and usually is based on a very specific psychological type. When it comes to competition for investment banking and consulting jobs, prestigious grad schools, law schools and medical schools, Harvard grads definitely have a huge advantage.
Publicly listed. For example ExxonMobil ceo went To university of texas. Tim cook did his bs at Auburn

Rutgers is a top 10 business school so the comparison is stupid.

The only comp is in very narrow amount of fields. The example of rutgers not being as good was silly.

There are many state schools that generate great students.

Nyoro SF

Would these people have left if the school situation was the same but it was a majority white populace?

Where I grew up was a majority white rural area and the answer to that is YES. People game the school and district system hard to maximize their chances. I thought it was strange in how the strategies played out when it came to economics vs opportunities and such but I can see it from a parent's perspective nowadays.

KingV

No one is saying you have to hire tutors.

It's just odd that people expect to do equally as well at something that someone else is putting in twice as much work towards.

I don't think they do, they just don't want their kids to theoretically compete against large numbers of people who are putting that extra work, but they also don't want to raise their kids in a way that seems like forcing that extra work is necessary to succeed.

Simplet

You're asking me? How am I supposed to know? The only way I would be able to know is if the people who researched this article had made a convincing case to me one way or the other.

kswiston

I don't think they do, they just don't want their kids to theoretically compete against large numbers of people who are putting that extra work, but they also don't want to raise their kids in a way that seems like forcing that extra work is necessary to succeed.

It's not even extra work really. 90% of my tutoring time was helping with homework or studying for a test that you would be (or should be) doing anyhow. The only difference is that you are studying with someone certified to teach the subject instead of with random friends or by your computer while your attention is split between your text book and instagram.

It is extra money, but we are mostly talking about wealthy kids competing with other wealthy kids here.

rpmurphy

It would probably make a lot more sense to do so in that case, since that would be competing within the same race group as far as Affirmative Action goes.

psaman17

Banned
I'm more curious about whether the asians would flee if blacks/hispanics moved in.

Oh absolutely.

Asians are extremely racist against Blacks and people of Color. The chinese language in itself is racist against Foreigners/non chinese.

In Cantonese,
White people are 白鬼 which translates into White Ghost. Black People are 黑鬼 which translates into Black ghost. Only the Chinese are people, foreigners are evil spirits.

Oh absolutely.

Asians are extremely racist against Blacks and people of Color. The chinese language in itself is racist against Foreigners/non chinese.

In Cantonese,
White people are 白鬼 which translates into White Ghost. Black People are 黑鬼 which translates into Black ghost. Only the Chinese are people, foreigners are evil spirits.
Watch this.

白人 = white person
黑人 = black person

OH SNAP!?

I'm not quite following (what other group?). Can you explain?
Asians get hit harder by affirmative action.

If affirmative action were removed:
Such dramatic changes in policy would have little impact, however, on white applicants. Their admission rate would rise slightly, to 24.3 percent, from 23.8 percent.

The big gains would be for Asian applicants. Their admission rate in a race-neutral system would go to 23.4 percent, from 17.6 percent. And their share of a class of admitted students would rise to 31.5 percent, from 23.7 percent.

It actually kind of makes sense to game the high school system, and with it, college acceptance/scholarship chances. The stakes are just too high.

Better to be the best kid in a terrible average school than an average kid at a great school.

This is completely crazy to me because the reputation of your high school is a huge deal here for getting into university. Currently I attend a top university in Canada and I had to switch from a terrible average school to a great private school because even though I was getting top marks in the average school, my application would likely not be accepted because the school was not known for grading competitively.

Here it would be way better to have say an 88% GPA at a great school than a 100% GPA at an average school.

Fuchsdh

There are two things specifically I don't really agree with in this article:

2. Yes, it's racism. But don't dance around results. If having a large number of AAs causes white students' relative academic rank to plummet, they'd be fools not to leave. No reason to talk in hypotheticals: this is a thing the writer could have measured.

This is my issue as well.

This is completely crazy to me because the reputation of your high school is a huge deal here for getting into university. Currently I attend a top university in Canada and I had to switch from a terrible average school to a great private school because even though I was getting top marks in the average school, my application would likely not be accepted because the school was not known for grading competitively.

Here it would be way better to have say an 88% GPA at a great school than a 100% GPA at an average school.

Eh, it's not that simple. I went to a very good high school, but the top state university only accepted a certain number of kids each year from the school; I dunno if it was hard policy or not, but everyone knew the numbers, and it was basically 6 or 7. At that point you would have had a much better chance getting in at a different school than trying to fight with the other 5.0 GPA guys who were gunning for the same limited slots.

numble

Publicly listed. For example ExxonMobil ceo went To university of texas. Tim cook did his bs at Auburn

Rutgers is a top 10 business school so the comparison is stupid.

The only comp is in very narrow amount of fields. The example of rutgers not being as good was silly.

There are many state schools that generate great students.
You are using CEOs as a comp, which is even narrower, and very little to do with education versus psychology. People don't generally aim to be CEOs, but they do aim to succeed in their field.

What fields does Rutgers do better at than Harvard? I actually think comparing against a wider range of fields than I listed would still have Rutgers grads at a huge disadvantage compared to Harvard grads.

And Rutgers is not a top 10 business school.

numble

Oh absolutely.

In Cantonese,
That is like saying the English language itself is racist against non-white people because they have racially disparaging terms for races.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom