• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

lolol

CjQYh3ZVEAAN3GT.jpg:large

I'm just sad Duncan Jones did this movie for 3 years instead of something else. His career was going so awesome with Moon and Source Code.

yami4ct

With all the love for Blizzards Cinematics and how well they've done with Overwatch what is it going to take for Blizzard to just start making their own cinematic movies?

They can't write for shit outside of 5 minute chunks. That's part of why a Warcraft movie was a terrible idea from the jump. Making a movie in that lore good is almost impossible given how silly and dumb that world kind of is. Blizzard's overarching narratives are such shit.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
With all the love for Blizzards Cinematics and how well they've done with Overwatch what is it going to take for Blizzard to just start making their own cinematic movies?

I think the secret is that if you made those into full length movies they would be similarly terrible, if not more.

They can't write for shit outside of 5 minute chunks. That's part of why a Warcraft movie was a terrible idea from the jump. Making a movie in that lore good is almost impossible given how silly and dumb that world kind of is. Blizzard's overarching narratives are such shit.

With such a big indeavor they would try to hire out though wouldn't you think? I'm sure with games they've been fine not worrying too much because they can create great games to forget about that stuff, but with a movie they couldn't rely on it.

I think the secret is that if you made those into full length movies they would be similarly terrible, if not more.

You're probably right, just thought it'd be possible to look outside Blizz for the writing aspect.

Zaph

It's like when people ask why don't Blur make films.

A full length feature is orders of magnitude harder than a flashy 5 minutes.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Going by the way brad described how starcraft wrapped up it sounds like it would make a mediocre anime at the very least.

yami4ct

With such a big indeavor they would try to hire out though wouldn't you think? I'm sure with games they've been fine not worrying too much because they can create great games to forget about that stuff, but with a movie they couldn't rely on it.

You're probably right, just thought it'd be possible to look outside Blizz for the writing aspect.

Blizzard in general seems to have a very high opinion of themselves. If they did make a CG movie, which would take so much time and money and might not make any back since adult focused all CG films have flopped, I kind of doubt they would have the self-reflection ability to realize they need to hire outside help.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Think about all the Warcraft 2 and 3 campaign remakes they could have made with that movie money that would have told a better story about the same characters

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The last time a Blizzard game had a good story was 13 years ago. I love their cinematics, I really don't want them to write a movie.

yami4ct

Think about all the Warcraft 2 and 3 campaign remakes they could have made with that movie money that would have told a better story about the same characters

I kind of doubt a Warcraft RTS remake would do nearly as well as the film. The movie will still likely make bank in Chinese markets.

Also, Blizzard didn't have to upfront the money for the film AFAIK. They just licensed that shit out.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I mean, the Warcraft 3 stories are probably the most overrated Blizzard stories. Generic 'absolute power absolutely corrupts' storylines everywhere. Arthas, Sylvannas, Illidan, Medivh, Grom.

Honestly, it's funny to me that people praise WOTLK's lore because I thought Garrosh's storyline from BC to Cataclysm is probably the best character arc they ever did. Until they ruined it in MOP.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Remember when Blizzard games actually had good story? Warcraft 3 and Starcraft had legit good stories, especially for RTS games. Not AMAZÍNG or anything but really great for the time.
I think with WoW Blizzard learned that you don't really need a story. Look at Overwatch. All the characters can be summarized as "Happy and energetic" or "Brooding and stoic", there is no story to the game yet people go crazy for those characters.

Do the glory kills in Doom get old?

They never got old for me.

Strax

Surely we can agree that Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time is the best video game movie?

Its a decent romp, I'd call it a low rent version of Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom