• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomberOwl

You know when that goes up? Do they record this week, then upload next week?

I think they recorded it sometime this week. Not sure when it goes up. I know they release their pocasts a week early for their Patreon subscribers then break it up in segments on YouTube each day the following week with the whole thing posted for everyone on Friday. So Probably next Friday if your not a Patreon backer.

Myggen

I think they recorded it sometime this week. Not sure when it goes up. I know they release their pocasts a week early for their Patreon subscribers then break it up in segments on YouTube each day the following week with the whole thing posted for everyone on Friday. So Probably next Friday if your not a Patreon backer.

This is correct.

yami4ct

As someone who doesn't group up, random people are always shitheads. I think I can count on one hand how many random matches I've played with voice chat that weren't actively made worse by it. Muting all is the first thing I do when I get a MP game.

kvk1

As someone who doesn't group up, random people are always shitheads. I think I can count on one hand how many random matches I've played with voice chat that weren't actively made worse by it. Muting all is the first thing I do when I get a MP game.

I totally get solo-queue can be hit or miss, but you can always individually mute the dickbags.

Hard muting everybody is robbing you of some really cool moments of cooperation with like-minded players, or just something as simple as a teammate hollering "watch out, X is around the corner" or something.

yami4ct

I totally get solo-queue can be hit or miss, but you can always individually mute the dickbags.

Hard muting everybody is robbing you of some really cool moments of cooperation with like-minded players, or just something as simple as a teammate hollering "watch out, X is around the corner" or something.

Like I've said, every game I've played with the mic on has at least 1 if not more of those dickheads.

I'm way happier since muting everyone. People suck.

Phediuk

So I just watched the Mario Party 6 highlights.

Why the fuck do these games not remove minigames you've already played from the roulette? Like they actually let minigames repeat within a single session? wtf?

So I just watched the Mario Party 6 highlights.

Why the fuck do these games not remove minigames you've already played from the roulette? Like they actually let minigames repeat within a single session? wtf?

Because why would you rob someone's chance of getting to play the game where you win if you press a button no one else did more than once?

Jintor

In my time playing TF2 I never really had a problem with open mics, but I stuck pretty much only to aussie pub servers and I was a college-age dude so I was pretty much square in the middle of 'generic game playing person' and thus attracted zero attention (good or bad)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Also if mic was on I couldn't stop myself from saying 'Guys I know we can't get the point at all and we could really use someone to push it, but you should keep playing Widowmaker because that's REALLY helping out right now'

mintyice

Also if mic was on I couldn't stop myself from saying 'Guys I know we can't get the point at all and we could really use someone to push it, but you should keep playing Widowmaker because that's REALLY helping out right now'

I just type in chat when I die and tell people to push.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Who the fuck has all these time to make a ritual out of clipping nails?

Just bite them off and spit them out like the animal you are.

Strax

I think Jeff said there is a POWERBOMBCAST this week. It was quick though.

tumblr_inline_mpoufteYbA1qz4rgp.jpg

Jintor

God, austin writes so good

his conclusion in particular

I keep coming back to that desperate phrase: “If only...” It’s a phrase that the Resistance repeats over and over: “If only we had Walker…”; “If only we had a tank…”; “If only we had more people…” Sometimes the pacifist doctor or a pragmatic collaborator chides the group for their simplistic idealism: Shouldn’t we aim for achievable progress instead of impossible utopia? Instead of “If only we had...”, shouldn’t we instead ask “Okay, what do we have and what can we do with it?” This is a debate worth having--after all, it’s a debate that both of the major American political parties have been having internally for the better part of the last year. But despite the game’s earnest tone, Homefront never leaves space for these ideas to be debated narratively or mechanically. Instead, the dissenting voices are shut down and the Hail Mary pass is reaffirmed as the only way forward.

This is how, somewhere along the way, Homefront made me realize how pernicious “If only we had...” is. What comes after that rhetorical salvo doesn’t matter so much: Whether it’s a complaint about leadership, economics, time constraints, or tactics, it’s an oratorical move that reduces a complex problem into something very simple: “If only we could get rid of those people”; “if only we had better technology;” “if only we could go back to the good old days.” It responds to dread by suggesting--demanding--an arbitrary and outlandish fix or a magical solution. This is the first ingredient necessary (though not sufficient) to begin a fascistic movement, which means that Homefront fails even as a hurrah to American Greatness. After all, to the degree that any America--fictional or real--has ever been great, it has not been because of magical solutions. It’s because of the truly difficult work of complicated and fallible people, plus a great deal of luck and timing.

At its fearful root, there’s something hopeful about “if only.” It suggests improvement is possible. And so, I find myself wanting to say my own versions of the phrase. There’s that one striking image in Homefront: The Korean airship, its curved back and sharp nose, a shark skimming a scorched city skyline, a thing of mobile death. And it’s so hard not to say: If only Homefront could do justice to that image. But ‘doing justice’ requires more than one great effort, one great image.

And so other “if only” statements start to roll in: “If only Homefront wasn’t so buggy...”; “If only it was a little more difficult...”; “If only its development wasn’t so troubled…” But there is no single, special solution to the problems that Homefront has. It is a dull game that fails to offer more than passing enjoyment, hitching and glitching all along the way. It offers a middling co-operative mode in a field filled with games trying to innovate in that space. It struggles to say anything--even something bombastic and cartoonish--about crisis, nationality, or revolution. It tries to roar America, but instead coughs out a few, unintelligible grunts.

Ketch

I'm dangerously close to blind buying the $40 Overwatch PC version.

how is it blind buying if you've heard a bunch about it already?

if you like tf2 you'll like overwatch... also tf2 is free to play, so maybe that would scratch the itch and then you'd be fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom