• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Interesting, why? To me it was a better follow up to the original Deus Ex than Deus Ex

It basically gives zero consequence for breaking stealth. I've written a huge diatribe on why I find it to be the complete wrong way to make a stealth game. Long story short: Corvo is a damn combat god, so why bother keeping in stealth? It's an action game with some stealth elements and ends up being a bad stealth game because of it.

I legitimately think that game is one of the most boring things I've ever played because of how damn OP that power set is.

KingKong

It basically gives zero consequence for breaking stealth. I've written a huge diatribe on why I find it to be the complete wrong way to make a stealth game. Long story short: Corvo is a damn combat god, so why bother keeping in stealth? It's an action game with some stealth elements and ends up being a bad stealth game because of it.

Ah I see, thats the Deus Ex influence for you. Maybe one day they'll make a proper followup to Thief

yami4ct

Ah I see, thats the Deus Ex influence for you. Maybe one day they'll make a proper followup to Thief

See, I liked Deus Ex Human Revolution pretty well. The powers in that game felt way less OP than the Dishonored stuff. It's not perfect, but the way cooler world and slight stealth challenge made it work. I didn't love the original DE that much, but that's probably because I came to it way, way, way too late. Basically played it right before Human Revolution.

Jintor

i agree with you that it's not a full on stealth game but that's probably why i like it as well.

games where you get rekt once your stealth is ruined aren't my faves... unless the reloading is meat-boy fast

actually, I like social stealth games like AC:Brotherhood multiplayer or disguise-based puzzle stealth games like Hitman. I'm not a huge fan of traditional stealth hide-in-the-shadows stuff I guess

yami4ct

i agree with you that it's not a full on stealth game but that's probably why i like it as well.

games where you get rekt once your stealth is ruined aren't my faves... unless the reloading is meat-boy fast

actually, I like social stealth games like AC:Brotherhood multiplayer or disguise-based puzzle stealth games like Hitman. I'm not a huge fan of traditional stealth hide-in-the-shadows stuff I guess

There's a difference between giving you options and letting you transition in and out of stealth and having zero repercussions whatsoever. The later disincentives it to the point where stealth might as well not be involved.

I think that MGSV does that transition quite well. You can survive a bit once you've been seen, but you can't take a whole army while you're exposed.

KingKong

Well I mean in Deus Ex you can go any approach any time and be fine while in Thief if you get caught you almost always die

Its a shame all these new indie stealth games are not first person, with modern sound tech it would be amazing

KingKong

I love stealth games. My top 5 is

Thief 2
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Hitman Blood Money (maybe the new one if all the levels turn out well)
Thief 1
Alien Isolation

Jintor

i don't know what it was about deus ex one but nothing people have done with the franchise since has quite gotten that feeling. it's probably one of those nostalgia titles for me where I can't not see that game like I was 10 or 12 or whatever.

that said I only really remember like the first half of that game.

i don't know what it was about deus ex one but nothing people have done with the franchise since has quite gotten that feeling. it's probably one of those nostalgia titles for me where I can't not see that game like I was 10 or 12 or whatever.

Realizing that I could
kill Anna Navarre and keep playing
was one of those watershed 'holy shit' gaming moments for me. I kept getting paranoid that the game was going to autosave because I was convinced there was NO way I could keep playing after that and not end up in a game over state.

santeesioux

I'm surprised Dan didn't know anything about Howard Stern, what with his knowledge on comedians. He seems like the type of dude that would have grown up listening to shock jocks.

KingKong

I think its the only game where I feel like I've actually made a decision instead of just choosing an option. The game never said you could save Paul or run, you consiously have to go against what its telling you to do which is just amazing

TraBuch

Banned
Playing Dishonored non-lethally is dumb. Killing people with arrows and having them turn to ash so you don't need to fuck around with their bodies is where it's at.

Playing Dishonored non-lethally is dumb. Killing people with arrows and having them turn to ash so you don't need to fuck around with their bodies is where it's at.

Which is why it was dumb as fuck that the game actively punishes you for killing guards. I enjoyed the mechanics of that game, but damn if the "chaos" system isn't complete bullshit.

Mafia III (hope this will be good, but I have my doubts), Battlefield, LawBreakers, Deus Ex, CoD, probably Watch Dogs 2, maybe Shadow Warrior 2, Titanfall, Gears 4

Very excited to see what Watch Dogs 2 is on the basis I have less than zero interest in it. Nowhere to go but up!

On that note, the Ubisoft cocaine map game was interesting last year. Wonder if it's another Division we half-remember exists and gets released in two years.

yami4ct

Very excited to see what Watch Dogs 2 is on the basis I have less than zero interest in it. Nowhere to go but up!

On that note, the Ubisoft cocaine map game was interesting last year. Wonder if it's another Division we half-remember exists and gets released in two years.

I will be shocked if Wildlands is out this year.

Jintor

Which is why it was dumb as fuck that the game actively punishes you for killing guards. I enjoyed the mechanics of that game, but damn if the "chaos" system isn't complete bullshit.

agreed i guess

i should try and work my way out of the 'gotta ghost it all' mindset i usually have in games. hitman was a lot more fun once I started trying to compensate for my fuckups instead of reloading

Lijik

Half the fun is ragdolling dudes into chairs and beds smh
Yall aint livin if you're not setting up slumber party scenes in Dishonored

agreed i guess

i should try and work my way out of the 'gotta ghost it all' mindset i usually have in games. hitman was a lot more fun once I started trying to compensate for my fuckups instead of reloading

When in doubt, remember the hallowed advice of Dan Ryckert and the answer will reveal itself to you.

Joeku

agreed i guess

Dishonored, with its effective silent stealth and effective murdering, is a perfect "sneak around until shit pops off then shank motherfuckers" game. I don't see the quality killing as a negative, just a different option.

That the endings are wildly different (one of which clearly is the one that leads into Dishonored 2) encourages me to do one or the other very well.

Also, yes, the fucking awesome DLC is probably better than the main game. It made me want to actually dig into the lore of the universe. I hope D2 adds to it well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urV8MIcLDFk

Jintor

Danhonored

unfortunately I don't think Dishonored is as funny, though you can definitely get up to more blatently supernatural stuff.

jaina

I'm late to the video game movie discussion, but you were missing the best-reviewed video game movie: Ace Attorney
(not many US cinema reviews out there though because it wasn't released)
It's something I'd actually recommend to unfamiliar people.
The Uncharted 4 is
National Treasure
2 email is really funny, but definitely misses the point a good bit. Yes, Uncharted 4 is similar to a bad movie in broad points, but a large point of what makes a movie good or bad is the storytelling, not the broad plot. Delivery is arguably even more important than the content and that's where UC4 nails it.
That's why I wasn't bothered listening to the spoilery email, it's not what supposedly makes the game good.

Bombcast on wednesday and barely 2,5 hours. This is the worst Tuesday ever.

I reckon the Bombcast is going to be weighing at sub 2.5 for the foreseeable with the new live recording format and incoming video archive. Brad asks Drew for a timecheck at one point this week.

Don't have a problem with it in theory but It would suck if they feel they have to move on from topics at certain times. Some of the best stuff comes when they completely kick to death something.

What's everyone's review rankings?

Austin>>>Alex=Brad>>Jeff>Dan for me, but I dig more introspective stuff instead of more traditional reviews. Giant Bomb is also the only site where I read everyone review, it's cool how distinctive everyone's style is.

Brad's review of Doom is the best one for ages.

Jintor

I'm late to the video game movie discussion, but you were missing the best-reviewed video game movie: Ace Attorney
(not many US cinema reviews out there though because it wasn't released)
It's something I'd actually recommend to unfamiliar people.

That's why I wasn't bothered listening to the spoilery email, it's not what supposedly makes the game good.

man i totally forgot about that. a takashi miike joint right? fucking fantastic.

Jintor

I remember the pacing being kinda rushed but still worked out nicely. Also some incredible charactersation work with Yogi in the space of like half a minute, maybe less.

Also CYBER HOLOGRAM LAWYER FIGHTS

jgminto

I love stealth games. My top 5 is

Thief 2
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Hitman Blood Money (maybe the new one if all the levels turn out well)
Thief 1
Alien Isolation

That's surprising, I thought it shifted straight from fine to frustrating depending on the difficulty. Never hit the sweet spot of great stealth for me.

Joeku

That's surprising, I thought it shifted straight from fine to frustrating depending on the difficulty. Never hit the sweet spot of great stealth for me.

I'd replace Isolation with Splinter Cell Blacklist but that is a dang good list.

2/3rds of Isolation are a fantastic horror game, but it ran waaaaaaaay too long.

Edit: And yes, so far HITMANcopyrighttrademark has been effing fantastic.

Meguro

Banned
Count me in the camp of people that dislike Dishonored.
Non-Lethal was a bore and locking your fun abilities behind a "bad" ending is awful design.
Not to mention the game is a cakewalk because of blink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom