• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Real question and no spoilers please.
Is Persona 5 good? The 8-4 Play guys talked about it for like a week and that was it.
It is really really really good. Like really good. To me not as great character wise as persona 4 (to me, my friend argued that P5 thad the best group) but everything else (story, combat, gameplay, dungeons and yes.....STYLEEEE) is vastly improved and refined.

Turnstyle

So did Alex intentionally and ironically use the word 'cromulent' in the most recent Beastcast, or is it simply a case of when you regularly quote the Simpsons that it takes over your vocabulary without you noticing?

Because if it's the latter, I'm glad I'm not alone.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
So did Alex intentionally and ironically use the word 'cromulent' in the most recent Beastcast, or is it simply a case of when you regularly quote the Simpsons that it takes over your vocabulary without you noticing?

Pretty sure it's the latter with Alex, I'm a sufferer of the same thing.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

It's one of those words people use to embiggen whatever they are trying to say

Hindl

GOTY discussions should be great this year!

I doubt Zelda even makes it in the top 3. They've spent so much more time talking about the same 2 things Jeff dislikes about it for most of the podcasts they've talked about it.

Feels weird, like they have to only talk about their negatives with the game just because it's getting too much praise elsewhere.

I really hope Persona 5 blows everyone away. There's no way it doesn't get GOTY if that happens.

I don't get this. Dan is absolutely over the moon for the game. Just look at the QL where he says he needs time away from it before saying anything definitive, but it sure sounds like if it wasn't his favorite game ever, it was close. And Brad is in love with the game, which should be huge. Haven't heard Vinny's thoughts, but even Jeff is enjoying it. He's said it's impressive, it's an incredible accomplishment, and said that he was really enjoying it despite his criticisms. I haven't heard the latest Beastcast so can't speak to Vinny's impressions or Jeff's latest, but Jeff just wanted to air his criticisms in what was otherwise a great game. I think it's Top 3 easy, and if it comes down to Jeff battling for Horizon at #1 vs everyone else going for Zelda, I think Zelda will win

daveo42

Banned
Everyone thought Doom would win GOTY and it didn't. Anything can happen.

I'm in the "It's Hitman again" camp at this point. Right now we should be debating what games won't get so much as a nod during GotY discussions, like Gravity Rush 2.

Edit: BotW will be top 3. Horizon will hit top 5. Nioh might crack the top 10 if they remember the game exists outside of Jason at the end of the year. Not sure where Mass Effect will actually fall at this rate. Persona will get a mention and then removed from the list because no one finished it.

TheChits

I'm in the "It's Hitman again" camp at this point. Right now we should be debating what games won't get so much as a nod during GotY discussions, like Gravity Rush 2.

Gravity Rush 2 won't be mentioned at all during best moment or best music, and that makes me sad.

If they have the best style category again, that's the only place I could see gravity rush 2 even being brought up.

daveo42

Banned
Gravity Rush 2 won't be mentioned at all during best moment or best music, and that makes me sad.

I blame the GR2 QL for all of this.
I still haven't seen it but I heard it was bad

If they have the best style category again, that's the only place I could see gravity rush 2 even being brought up.

It should at least get a mention in a lot of categories. Will it tho? Our only hope at this point seems to be Jason and he seemed pretty down on the game, mainly because the game still had camera issues.

Seriously, stop talking about GotY.
It's barely March

GotY season is year round, just like talk about E3 being "soon".

Megasoum

Banned
I need to finish my route so I can listen to the Beastcast goddamn.

Also fingers crossed for Gerstmann on Films & 40$.

That would have been great, especially considering that it's Tokyo Drift but they already recorded it before he got to NY

Fuck now you're bumming me out, that would have been juste perfect!

Meguro

Banned
Mario Odyssey GOTY 2017. Book it.
Neither Mario nor Zelda will crack top 3 also GOTY talk in March again. No content does things to us all.

I'm back in Horizon after beating Zelda, and man, I'm having a hard time adjusting. In Zelda, you could *literally* go anywhere because of the climbing, and jump off from anywhere because of the paraglider. But in Horizon you can't do either. You can sort of wall hump Skyrim-style to get up higher, but most of the time you have to find handholds on cliff faces.

Zelda really set a high bar in terms of open-world traversal, and it's going to take a bit of time to readjust my expectations.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm kinda bummed those Fast&Furious movies aren't on Netflix. How am I gonna watch them now?
Also Bye Bye Boxboy will be GotY 2017

oti

Banned
I'm back in Horizon after beating Zelda, and man, I'm having a hard time adjusting. In Zelda, you could *literally* go anywhere because of the climbing, and jump off from anywhere because of the paraglider. But in Horizon you can't do either. You can sort of wall hump Skyrim-style to get up higher, but most of the time you have to find handholds on cliff faces.

Zelda really set a high bar in terms of open-world traversal, and it's going to take a bit of time to readjust my expectations.

That's why I'll wait a good long while before playing Horizon after Zelda. Otherwise it would be kind of unfair to Horizon and I don't want to ruin the game for me.

That's why I'll wait a good long while before playing Horizon after Zelda. Otherwise it would be kind of unfair to Horizon and I don't want to ruin the game for me.

Ehh, they're totally different games. I don't think the Spider-Man climb anything mechanics of Zelda would work with Horzon at all. The game is much more focused on narrative and combat compared to Zelda. You probably wouldn't have much of a problem playing one after the other.

Remember when the guys wanted to split the podcast into two for non-subscribers? You get the first half on Tuesday, and the other half on the following Tuesday.

What a dumb fucking idea that was. I wouldn't be surprised if it had made me stop listening to the podcast if they did that. Seriously.

Gurrry

Yeah, because that's absolutely the only reason why someone would criticize (even mildly) something.

Thats not what im referring to. He talks about how he hates doing any open world combat because there is no point to it, and that he gets killed in one hit because he is exploring farther than he should. The problem is that he is depriving himself of making much progress without engaging in some of that stuff. Its not necessary, but the stuff he doesnt want to do would end up helping him with some of that stuff in the end. So by not doing it, youre only making it harder on yourself.

And for the record, it doesnt sound like jeff hates the game or anything. It just seems like hes missed out on a lot. For instance not understanding how to get a horse, not doing dungeons, refusing to work with the cooking mechanic, etc.

I actually agree with him on some of his criticisms (inventory system complaint in particular). But also the game is hard on its own and he sounds like hes defeated by some of the things that can be combated by unlocking more things from dungeons and getting better weapons from the open world portions of the game.

Mr. F

Banned
Yeah, because that's absolutely the only reason why someone would criticize (even mildly) something.

I'm really enjoying the game but I totally get where Jeff is coming from - for a game where inventory management is such a frequent concern it's pretty tedious that the execution couldn't be a bit smoother.

That said, when he mentioned he wasn't having the same experience as other people who were sharing combat anecdotes I think it's kind of like what Vinny and Brad were alluding to. It's freeform enough that it's kind of on you to make encounters interesting by trying weird stuff with the powers/abilities.

I'm really enjoying the game but I totally get where Jeff is coming from - for a game where inventory management is such a frequent concern it's pretty tedious that the execution couldn't be a bit smoother.

That said, when he mentioned he wasn't having the same experience as other people who were sharing combat anecdotes I think it's kind of like what Vinny and Brad were alluding to. It's freeform enough that it's kind of on you to make encounters interesting by trying weird stuff with the powers/abilities.
Yeah there are so many systems interacting with each other that you can clear out camps without ever using your weapons. I just saw a gif of Some one throwing a Cukoo at a moblin. The moblin swings at the Cukoo and then a swarm of Cukoo attack the moblin. Shit was magical.

daveo42

Banned
I've finally started watching the Persona 4 ER. I'd say my only complaint is that these early vids are super short. I need a custom playlist or something so I can bounce between them faster.

Top Bottom