• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Weetrick

I don't know it felt... off

I feel like they spent half the time nitpicking and going "I liked it BUUUUUT this little thing is..." Maybe I just got the wrong impression

Also you're lying Will only talks about VR and mobile games

Their job is to talk about games and highlight what they like and dislike about them. Zelda has some bold game design choices that are bound to be received differently by different people.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
3/3 was an inside job
18n56pl8sprw8jpg.jpg

Hindl

There are actual flaws in BOTW that I feel like no one has really touched on yet

Like what?

Almost everyone is still in that honeymoon phase and to say anything negative about it means you must not like the game.

I don't think that at all. There has been plenty of discussion of the flaws of the game. The UI can be bad and clunky, the performance is bad, the resolution is bad, the VO is horrible, the dungeons are take it or leave it, and there's a bunch of things around cooking and inventory management that could be streamlined. All of those are valid criticisms for why someone wouldn't enjoy it, but it's also possible that a lot of people (including me) that acknowledge those flaws but like the rest of the game so much that those aren't as big a problem

Hindl

I thought the dungeons are pretty good actually.

I've only done one, I need to explore it more. But I conceptually liked the dungeon
Zora/Elephant
, but I thought the buildup to the city and the quest to get into the dungeon was better than the actual dungeon. Figuring out the dungeon was really cool, I just wish there was more of it/there were more enemies/the boss was harder. Maybe that DLC dungeon or the other dungeons will deliver for me

daveo42

Banned
I don't think that at all. There has been plenty of discussion of the flaws of the game. The UI can be bad and clunky, the performance is bad, the resolution is bad, the VO is horrible, the dungeons are take it or leave it, and there's a bunch of things around cooking and inventory management that could be streamlined. All of those are valid criticisms for why someone wouldn't enjoy it, but it's also possible that a lot of people (including me) that acknowledge those flaws but like the rest of the game so much that those aren't as big a problem

That's just the feeling I get when criticism of the criticism gets brought up. Like anything more than a short blurb is too much. And not everyone is like that, but I think most people are still in that honeymoon phase and I'll be interested in how the same people view BotW in six months to a year from now.

oti

Banned
Almost everyone is still in that honeymoon phase and to say anything negative about it means you must not like the game.

I'm not seeing a turnaround like with Uncharted 4 or Fallout 4 happening. The game is that good. Its flaws are little annoyances. Calling weapon degradation a flaw for instance is disingenuous. It's an integral part of the game. If one doesn't like it that's one thing, but that isn't a flaw.

SummitAve

Banned
Anyone else actually like the decision making process that comes along with inventory management, durability, and encumbrance mechanics? I always thought it was an important contrast to the action of games, but maybe I played too many crpgs growing up. When did the turn against it happen? Oblivion? Or was it something people always disliked?

I'm not seeing a turnaround like with Uncharted 4 or Fallout 4 happening. The game is that good. Its flaws are little annoyances. Calling weapon degradation a flaw for instance is disingenuous. It's an integral part of the game. If one doesn't like it that's one thing, but that isn't a flaw.

I agree.

Frame drops, that is a flaw, but there really isn't much to be said about it.

Hindl

That's just the feeling I get when criticism of the criticism gets brought up. Like anything more than a short blurb is too much. And not everyone is like that, but I think most people are still in that honeymoon phase and I'll be interested in how the same people view BotW in six months to a year from now.

Yeah, well look, rabid Zelda fans are crazy. Crazier even than that infamous Uncharted 3 reviews thread post. And it's also Zelda, kind of a sacred cow as far as series go. Like you look at Zelda, and not only does it have top tier games, but for a while it was the franchise for innovation. Zelda 1 was huge for open world games, Link to the Past was a perfection of 2D Zelda, and Ocarina of Time revolutionized 3D movement and controls on a console. And the franchise hasn't really hit a win like that in a while, so BotW comes along and shakes up not only the Zelda formula, but the entire open world genre to a degree, and people are going to be over the moon for it. But even ignoring that, it really is a fantastic game, and feels like an open world game designed for people who don't like open world games. So I'll agree that even in the press the flaws might be overlooked, and there are certain sections of people that will attack any negative comment. But those people aren't really worth talking to anyway. I think there's been a good amount of discussion about the flaws it has, and people recognize them. But I don't think a big backlash is coming for it. People might cool a little on it, and people will come to it for the first time 6 months later and maybe be disappointed after all the hype, but I don't see a turn on the game coming

Anyone else actually like the decision making process that comes along with inventory management, durability, and encumbrance mechanics? I always thought it was an important contrast to the action of games, but maybe I played too many crpgs growing up. When did the turn against it happen? Oblivion? Or was it something people always disliked?

I don't usually like it, but I do like the design in Zelda. They integrated it so well that if you removed the durability and encumbrance with weapons, the game would have to be vastly different

daveo42

Banned
At least we can all agree on one thing: MGS5 is the best open world game since GTA San Andreas

The main mission select stuff from MGSV is actually one of the systems I wish most open world games would use. Keep the open world option there for exploration purposes, but let you just go to a mission directly if you want to do the story quest. I get so distracted by exploration that it takes 100+ hours before I get to what actual story is there that I'm ready to just put the game down.

bjork

This Zelda is good and all, but the general "sacred cow" attitude toward Zelda games is never not annoying.

Especially when you consider that Zelda 1 is basically a newer Hydlide. Give T&E Soft their due.

Don't call them Metroidvanias, call them Hydlikes.

This Zelda is good and all, but the general "sacred cow" attitude toward Zelda games is never not annoying.

Especially when you consider that Zelda 1 is basically a newer Hydlide. Give T&E Soft their due.

Don't call them Metroidvanias, call them Hydlikes.

Excuse me

Zelda is the first time sacred cows were used

Catvoca

Banned
Or you can find flaws in things you love.

Like I do that all the time.

Persona 4 is close to one of my favourite games of all time and I find it pretty flawed in various areas.

Mostly in that it's not as good as 3 awwwww sheeeeeeit.

Everything about this post is correct.

repeater

Don,t fuck with me.

Is this true?

No. Rorie got a chat question about P5 coverage and Jason did his coy/idontknow routine he does all the time. I wouldn't read into it.
Zaph got the gist of it. Jason was teasing. Let's just shut that rumour down right now. ;)

Personally I can't imagine they'd do a P5 ER. It was a huge deal when they announced the Shenmue ER. West clearly don't have the manpower to do an ER, and even if they did, Jeff doesn't seem like the kind of person who would go for that kind of nostalgia play.

FluxWaveZ

It probably won't happen seeing how early copies got out to media outlets, but it would have been cool to see Jeff and/or Vinny's first reaction to how Persona 5 opens, considering their experience with Persona 4.

GOTY discussions should be great this year!

I doubt Zelda even makes it in the top 3. They've spent so much more time talking about the same 2 things Jeff dislikes about it for most of the podcasts they've talked about it.

Feels weird, like they have to only talk about their negatives with the game just because it's getting too much praise elsewhere.

I really hope Persona 5 blows everyone away. There's no way it doesn't get GOTY if that happens.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

I doubt Zelda even makes it in the top 3. They've spent so much more time talking about the same 2 things Jeff dislikes about it for most of the podcasts they've talked about it.

Feels weird, like they have to only talk about their negatives with the game just because it's getting too much praise elsewhere.

I really hope Persona 5 blows everyone away. There's no way it doesn't get GOTY if that happens.

I have bad news for you.
Nobody is going to play more than 3 hours of Persona 5. Everybody will always say "I need to play more of that game".
But it won't happen.

I'm just happy I love Zelda again.

is Brad really leaving for IGN?

Can't spell leavign without ign

oti

Banned
Real question and no spoilers please.
Is Persona 5 good? The 8-4 Play guys talked about it for like a week and that was it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

They... haven't though? Like you have to be really selective to not hear about the various things brad, dan, vinny and other jeff gush about the things they love. And I mean really selective.

They... haven't though? Like you have to be really selective to not hear about the various things brad, dan, vinny and other jeff gush about the things they love. And I mean really selective.

Weird, maybe I missed a podcast? and I don't want to hear them gush about it. Just wanted to hear them talk about the game/systems a bit more.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
This might be a beary big spoiler for Zelda, so don't click if you don't want to know but...
WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME YOU CAN RIDE A FUCKING BEAR

Top Bottom