• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 05/19/15

mcrommert

Banned
I know my politics don't line up with the hosts...but seriously abortion talk on a gaming (slash whatever) podcast? I miss jeff

Myggen

Jeff isn't there and yet they're all bashing Witcher 3 for the first 20 min, what's going on here

Wait, did you hear that as bashing?! They were praising the game, but criticised some of the gameplay aspects of it (which seems to be pretty common complaints even here on GAF, especially the movement). If that's now considered "bashing"...

No_Style

The best Bombcasts are the ones when someone is pretending to be an absentee.

Danny's Jeff is pretty good!

"Hey. What's up?"

Einbroch

Banned
Only Jeff can have problems with it?

This has absolutely nothing to do with The Witcher, but I definitely have gotten a little tired of everyone having pretty much the same opinion on games. I mean, if that's what they like, that's fine, but I feel like when someone likes something that isn't core to what the "group" likes, they just get made fun of. It just doesn't make entertaining content.

For example, DLC has a ton of problems, but Jeff and Christian have different tastes and argue with each other. I just feel like Giantbomb doesn't have conflict. The best part of last year was Brad going nuts over Destiny, even if he couldn't articulate his points well.

Can't wait for GBEast to take off.

Intro was pretty funny.. love it when they impersonate other people.

I also agree with them on the Witcher 3 controls being mostly crap. Why is it so hard for CD Project to make a game with good, responsive gameplay? Makes me want to put the game down. Ugh. I guess it doesn't help that I'm coming straight from Bloodborne, a game with vastly superior controls and satisfying combat.

convo

I know my politics don't line up with the hosts...but seriously abortion talk on a gaming (slash whatever) podcast? I miss jeff

Haven't heard it yet but this should be related to witcher 3 going by that quick look, soo it should be related to videogames at least. Would be really weird otherwise .

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Haven't heard it yet but this should be related to witcher 3 going by that quick look, soo it should be related to videogames at least. Would be really weird otherwise .

It was a random email for Danny and his opinion on Irish politics. There wasn't really "abortion talk" other than Danny stating that abortion is illegal in Ireland. It's not like they got into a debate about the subject.

cackhyena

This has absolutely nothing to do with The Witcher, but I definitely have gotten a little tired of everyone having pretty much the same opinion on games. I mean, if that's what they like, that's fine, but I feel like when someone likes something that isn't core to what the "group" likes, they just get made fun of. It just doesn't make entertaining content.

For example, DLC has a ton of problems, but Jeff and Christian have different tastes and argue with each other. I just feel like Giantbomb doesn't have conflict. The best part of last year was Brad going nuts over Destiny, even if he couldn't articulate his points well.

Can't wait for GBEast to take off.

I agree. Brad is the worst offender to me. Even when you can tell he wants to disagree, however lightly, with Jeff on something, he usually just comes around with "yeah, you're right" or some other concession.

For all of Dan's faults, at least he stands up against the hate for the Nintendo games he digs that the others despise.

the semi-active passivity toward Nintendo related things is starting to bother me more. Last week zero peeps about Splatoon, this week nothing about the NWC coming back pre-E3. Brad mentions scrapping the bottom of the news barrel, talking about some dumb capcom bullshit and EA announcing a future obvious announcement that NFS wasnt going to skip yet another year, but nothing about the national nintendo competition.

Oh, Dan realizes that the puzzle and dragons formula is an addictive and effective one, so we get a tiny reminder of nintendo's existence.

I dont know why I let it bother me... i miss Scoops :(

kmz

Neo Member
Danny was mostly great but I thought it was sort of weird how much he harped on Gears of War being already an HD game considering Last of Us, GTA 5, Tomb Raider, etc have all already gone to that well.

No_Style

I honestly don't get the need for Splatoon talk when the game isn't out yet and the test was only an hour on a weekend. And who cares if they don't talk about it?

I honestly don't get the need for Splatoon talk when the game isn't out yet and the test was only an hour on a weekend. And who cares if they don't talk about it?

MAJOR video game company that has never done an online public beta does an online public beta/server stress test. Yea, you're right there's no need to mention that.

also it was three nonconsecutive hours over a weekend, and a fourth additional hour this Saturday

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Oh come on. Don't you want to hear Jeff's opinion on the multiplayer third person shooter that deemphasizes shooting, has no party play, has limited map selection, and limited modes?

I'm sure hearing it will make all of the Nintendo fans ever so happy!

I like the witcher games but I'll be the first to shit on the combat and movement of all 3 of them.

Also I was playing through dragon's dogma again when all the hub bub started, and watching the witcher's gryphon fight was fuckin ridiculously hype deflating in comparison to what I was playing.

what is up with that 2:37 runtime though

I guess it goes by quick if you dont have drew taking 45 minutes to explain his perception of a fucking tower defense, though

I'm kidding i love drew and ignore all criticisms aimed at him

Hopefully they continue since i'm starting to like the schadenfreude building up in here LOL

Oh come on. Don't you want to hear Jeff's opinion on the multiplayer third person shooter that deemphasizes shooting, has no party play, has limited map selection, and limited modes?

I'm sure hearing it will make all of the Nintendo fans ever so happy!

At least it would have been mentioned i guess, so that's a win? *shrug*

I like the witcher games but I'll be the first to shit on the combat and movement of all 3 of them.

Also I was playing through dragon's dogma again when all the hub bub started, and watching the witcher's gryphon fight was fuckin ridiculously hype deflating in comparison to what I was playing.

what is up with that 2:37 runtime though

I guess it goes by quick if you dont have drew taking 45 minutes to explain his perception of a fucking tower defense, though

I'm kidding i love drew and ignore all criticisms aimed at him

but you aren't though :p

Hoo-doo

Banned
the semi-active passivity toward Nintendo related things is starting to bother me more. Last week zero peeps about Splatoon, this week nothing about the NWC coming back pre-E3. Brad mentions scrapping the bottom of the news barrel, talking about some dumb capcom bullshit and EA announcing a future obvious announcement that NFS wasnt going to skip yet another year, but nothing about the national nintendo competition.

Oh, Dan realizes that the puzzle and dragons formula is an addictive and effective one, so we get a tiny reminder of nintendo's existence.

I dont know why I let it bother me... i miss Scoops :(

This is not a GB problem, it's a Nintendo problem. Not a whole lot of gamers give a shit about Splatoon having a fucking three hour beta, ór the NWC.
Nintendo has simply become a lot more irrelevant in current-day games media and that's the trajectory they made for themselves.
This isn't the 90's anymore, you can't just coast along on a shrinking, aging fanbase and expect people to go nuts for your software.

Sorry to say, but, for the majority of gamers, the Capcom and NFS bits were more relevant and worthy of discussion than any of the stuff you mentioned.

Oh and Danny is so right. Fuck Tool fans. Great bombcast this week.

idk man, GAF activity/attention and Giant Bomb content or discussion have always been pretty close bed fellows. Both of those things I mentioned had plenty of GAF hype.

Also Splatoon was trending on twitter over last weekend and the game was heating up amazon sales charts subsequently so you're sort of wrong.

anyway, the GBeastcast seems like it'll be something I'll be quite interested in

Jeff isn't there and yet they're all bashing Witcher 3 for the first 20 min, what's going on here

Ehh, "bashing" is a bit much. What I heard was there were some technical hiccups that marred early impressions for Brad and Jason but on the whole everybody that was playing it (Dan, Danny, and Brad) seemed to be enjoying it a lot.

For all of Dan's faults, at least he stands up against the hate for the Nintendo games he digs that the others despise.

It doesn't help that a lot of the other stuff that Dan says paints him as blissfully, stubbornly ignorant of all manner of things. Not to say that's his true persona, but when you've got a guy who is spouting nonsense about fig wasps while espousing the virtues of taco bell and how clean their facilities must be, you'd be forgiven for ascribing his impassioned defense of Nintendo IPs to some sort of verbal white noise.

t Last week zero peeps about Splatoon, this week nothing about the NWC coming back pre-E3. Brad mentions scrapping the bottom of the news barrel, talking about some dumb capcom bullshit and EA announcing a future obvious announcement that NFS wasnt going to skip yet another year, but nothing about the national nintendo competition.

You can blame Dan for Brad's inclusion of the term "suck bucket" in the news segment lol Honestly though, the Bombcast isn't and shouldn't be the go-to venue for all the gaming news that's fit to print. You've got a group of people that are there to talk about games (sometimes lol) and related news that they've personally found interesting or want to talk about. It's totally fair to ask why the NWC announcement didn't stick out to Brad (if he's the only one curating the talking points), but it's equally fair to ask why Dan didn't pipe up about the NWC himself since a) it involves Ninty, b) involves competition which Dan is obsessed with and c) one of the competition venues is taking place a mere mile and a half from where they all work. The honest answer is they probably just forgot, not that there's a concerted effort to stifle any and all Nintendo related news.

I dont know why I let it bother me...

Because... you care about Nintendo-related news more than they do? You really shouldn't let it bother you though. I don't know why it bothers me when Jeff pans a game because it contains a stealth mechanic, or why it bothers me when GAFers dismiss a game a trash or garbage because of [completely arbitrary opinion here]. We both are better served by saving our energy for other things.

KarmaCow

Really liked Danny on the podcast, I wish he could be on more.

Also it was great when Jason's frustration with Dan bubbled over every so often.

Hoo-doo

Banned
idk man, GAF activity/attention and Giant Bomb content or discussion have always been pretty close bed fellows. Both of those things I mentioned had plenty of GAF hype.

Also Splatoon was trending on twitter over last weekend and the game was heating up amazon sales charts subsequently so you're sort of wrong.

anyway, the GBeastcast seems like it'll be something I'll be quite interested in

GAF hype, or an echo chamber of the same big club of Nintendo fans that are simply out-of-their-mind excited for these things?

I'm honestly not trying to diss Nintendo or anything, but I really don't think they cultivate mainstream hype like Nintendo fans think they do.

Mr. Sunny

Banned
This is not a GB problem, it's a Nintendo problem. Not a whole lot of gamers give a shit about Splatoon having a fucking three hour beta, ór the NWC.
Nintendo has simply become a lot more irrelevant in current-day games media and that's the trajectory they made for themselves.
This isn't the 90's anymore, you can't just coast along on a shrinking, aging fanbase and expect people to go nuts for your software.

Sorry to say, but, for the majority of gamers, the Capcom and NFS bits were more relevant and worthy of discussion than any of the stuff you mentioned.

Oh and Danny is so right. Fuck Tool fans. Great bombcast this week.

THIS SO FUCKING MUCH. I keep seeing people posting about how the guys didn't play it - how can they play it if Nintendo releases the beta like a bunch of stupid fucking scrubs? "Here's this beta for our new game.........but you can only play it for like an hour.......a very specific one too......and the beta will only be for 3 days".

Also, LOL at people already projecting there insecurities about they guys shitting about Splatoon, whenever that game is brought up the guys (especially Jeff) talk about how cool and fun it looks. I'm excited for Splatoon as much as the next guy but FUCK only having the ability to play that beta for a specific one hour period that lasts only 3 days.

cackhyena

It doesn't help that a lot of the other stuff that Dan says paints him as blissfully, stubbornly ignorant of all manner of things. Not to say that's his true persona, but when you've got a guy who is spouting nonsense about fig wasps while espousing the virtues of taco bell and how clean their facilities must be, you'd be forgiven for ascribing his impassioned defense of Nintendo IPs to some sort of verbal white noise.
Can't deny that. The ignorance on display with the whole wasp thing is beyond absurd.

pizzacat

Banned
My impression from the forums back then was the online for Gears 2 was a disaster. Not played the games though.
Disaster is an understatement when the game is still broken. People say the 6 (fucking 6!) Title Updates have fixed it but the game is still a shit show of a mess.

Top Bottom