• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 05/26/15

They aren't wrong. I like Destiny but what is the end goal? To grind the new content to get new gear.....why? There will be nothing to use it on.

I have fun playing Destiny but there isn't a point to it. I guess if you like the shooting it could be to try to beat the horde mode on harder difficulties.

To get higher numbers, that is the appeal of any game that's focused on loot.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The difference between these action RPGs and action FPS RPGs like Borderlands and Destiny is you get lots of variety with Diablo or whatever due to tons of active skills. In Destiny and Borderlands, you have ONE active ability. And you can change weapons, but the weapons in those games don't change your style of play from any other FPS. The uzi might shoot poison bullets, but you still use it like you've used a thousand uzis before.

You can't be an action RPG and only have one spell.

Deadstar

The difference between these action RPGs and action FPS RPGs like Borderlands and Destiny is you get lots of variety with Diablo or whatever due to tons of active skills. In Destiny and Borderlands, you have ONE active ability. And you can change weapons, but the weapons in those games don't change your style of play from any other FPS. The uzi might shoot poison bullets, but you still use it like you've used a thousand uzis before.

Agreed, also the goal of a loot game is to get loot and then USE that loot. If you can't use the loot in a fun way it doesn't matter if the numbers get higher. That's just my opinion.

Puaru1

Agreed, also the goal of a loot game is to get loot and then USE that loot. If you can't use the loot in a fun way it doesn't matter if the numbers get higher. That's just my opinion.

Also not so much in Destiny since it's mostly first person, but seeing your character get progressively more bad ass looking gear is a big draw.

800px-Demon-hunter-art1-4.jpg

I can't find a good image but the best example is the Diablo 2 necromancer. He goes from a stupid looking old man hippie to a living nightmare covered in bones and stuff.

Etnos

Banned
If I were a first time listener I would be "How the hell is this Gertsman fella ? dude really seems to hate his job" also... if you don't want people twitting at you, maybe don't have twitter? maybe don't be a journalist? I mean... Complaining because you have an audience, ohh well..

Anyway, Dan is fun as always plus good Witcher talk!

MoeDabs

If I were a first time listener I would be "How the hell is this Gertsman fella ? dude really seems to hate his job" also... if you don't want people twitting at you, maybe don't have twitter? maybe don't be a journalist? I mean... Complaining because you have an audience, ohh well..

Anyway, Dan is fun as always plus good Witcher talk!

Wasn't Jeff just talking about the people trying to trick him into saying things about games under NDA, like Fallout 4? I'm pretty sure this wasn't him complaining about social media as a whole.

Etnos

Banned
Wasn't Jeff just talking about the people trying to trick him into saying things about games under NDA, like Fallout 4? I'm pretty sure this wasn't him complaining about social media as a whole.

The same as being a bus driver and complain because you have to break often... it's part of the job

Puaru1

The same as being a bus driver and complain because you have to break often... it's part of the job

There's nothing wrong with bitching about certain aspects of your job. I can't think of any job that is 100% awesome all the time. Sometimes people need to complain.

I really enjoy the Destiny rants, though I imagine it is frustrating for fans to keep hearing. As someone in agreement with Jeff though(having given up on the game long ago), I don't find it tiring and rather enjoy the continued perspective with updates.

That said, it would be nice to hear a proper counterpoint though. All these rants over the months and Brad sort of steps up but mostly ends up limply agreeing with the core issues. I am still curious myself to hear a proper argument rebuttal from the other side, but this podcast doesn't provide that. Clearly there is a proper debate to be had though it seems.

That said, I still find the no-matchmaking defense completely ridiculous. As if anyone playing Destiny lacks the core human trait to learn from mistakes and react to imposing challenges. Just cannot comprehend how Destiny Raids or certain dungeons could be so complex that the human mind couldn't adapt through visual feedback without direct communication. It's not as if you won't ever get matched with intelligent people randomly through matchmaking, as I regularly do with MMO's, even if you get a few dumbshits on occasion.

Maybe because there really isn't a counterpoint?

Etnos

Banned
There's nothing wrong with bitching about certain aspects of your job. I can't think of any job that is 100% awesome all the time. Sometimes people need to complain.

Would be understandable if his range of negativity was just that, As I said he just sounds like he hates to be there... Every single topic he talks about.

Anyway, I'm not trying to create a controversy here, It is just how I felt about that podcast.. he was by far my least favourite.

They should send Dan to those press meetings, he would at least have some funny story to tell.

Still saddens me that Alex and co didn't fight harder for Wolfenstein.

It's Giantbomb's GOTY, not an objective list of the best games of the year. If any one person feels strongly about a game then it deserves a spot/chance on their list. People need to get over it.

MoeDabs

No, it's really not the same at all.

Exactly. Plus, dealing with idiot fanboys isn't his job. It is something he has to do, but I doubt he would classify it under his job description.

Fox318

It's Giantbomb's GOTY, not an objective list of the best games of the year. If any one person feels strongly about a game then it deserves a spot/chance on their list. People need to get over it.
Didn't stop Rayman from getting on the top ten with Patricks "EVERYTHING ELSE IS KILL AND DEATH" argument when everyone else was meh on it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Found the Star Citizen talk interesting. Kind of crazy how much money that game has made for how little game there is at this point.

Flipyap

Also not so much in Destiny since it's mostly first person, but seeing your character get progressively more bad ass looking gear is a big draw.

800px-Demon-hunter-art1-4.jpg

I can't find a good image but the best example is the Diablo 2 necromancer. He goes from a stupid looking old man hippie to a living nightmare covered in bones and stuff.
It might be in first person, but its limited selection of ugly-ass gear still made me abandon my main class. Twice now.
At least now they have a needlessly hard and limiting way of letting players use whatever gear they want, but before House of Wolves you were forced to use the most recent gear based on a single stat, making you look just like everyone else.

Puaru1

Would be understandable if his range of negativity was just that, As I said he just sounds like he hates to be there... Every single topic he talks about.

Anyway, I'm not trying to create a controversy here, It is just how I felt about that podcast.. he was by far my least favourite.

They should send Dan to those press meetings, he would at least have some funny story to tell.

I think Jeff is special in that he is just as much an entertainer as he is a journalist/critic. His personality is what makes Giant Bomb awesome, because he expresses himself in an over the top manner. When the Bombcast is missing him for whatever reason like last week, it's simply not entertaining in nearly the same way.

Jeff and Dan work so great together because Dan is basically the anti-Jeff. They play off each other so naturally, it's so much better to listen to then when it's just Brad and Jeff talking back and forth between each other.

I always think of the Bombcast as a comedy podcast with video games as the secondary focus. I'll never ever seek out content just because Jason Schreier, Ben Kuchara, Patrick Klepek, or anyone else from sites like Kotaku or IGN happens to be in it. But if I hear Jeff or Dan is on something I've never heard of, I'll give it a watch.

edit:

Only Blizzard art designers think the rightmost design is the most badass.

With the Demon Hunter, the 3rd one is the most bad ass. Diablo 2 necromancer or barbarian are the best examples.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Chrono Cross was great. Or at least really good. Better than any Playstation Final Fantasy game, that much is certain.

That's pretty much all I got. It has been 15 years since I played this game, but I'm pretty sure I'm right here.

Fireblend

Banned
Chrono Cross was great. Or at least really good. Better than any Playstation Final Fantasy game, that much is certain.

That's pretty much all I got. It has been 15 years since I played this game, but I'm pretty sure I'm right here.

I sure hope you're forgetting FFIX because else you've reached new levels of wrongness with that statement.

Chrono Cross is pretty good.

ike_

That Chrono Cross story was sooo interesting, really glad Jeff told that. I didn't realize Gamespot 10/10'ed that game.

One thing I don't get though: how did the freelancer not think that 10/10 meant "perfect"? Or was he just being a dick with that e-mail response?

Also I somehow hadn't heard about any of these Jamie Kennedy E3 shenanigans. I wish they would have gone into a little background on that first. I guess I can Google it but it sounds like I don't want to.

Oh wow, is that the actual origin the word? I had no idea... though it makes a lot of sense, in retrospect.

Is that like a common slur in Europe or something? Because here in North America I'd totally thought it just meant shortchanged, with no further connotations.
I'm in the same boat as you. I didn't even know the spelling (thought it was "gipped"). Consider me surprised.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
That Chrono Cross story was sooo interesting, really glad Jeff told that. I didn't realize Gamespot 10/10'ed that game.

One thing I don't get though: how did the freelancer not think that 10/10 meant "perfect"? Or was he just being a dick with that e-mail response?

Also I somehow hadn't heard about any of these Jamie Kennedy E3 shenanigans. I wish they would have gone into a little background on that first. I guess I can Google it but it sounds like I don't want to.

I actually came away from the story thinking Jeff didn't quite explain the implications of a 10 properly to the freelancer, hence feeling burnt because he didn't question the score hard enough.

Oh and mr. Caffeine was lame, but Jamie Kennedy was FAR worse. Not even close, almost insufferable to witness.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I've heard just as many people argue that 10/10 doesn't mean "perfect". I'm surprised Jeff believes in the concept of a perfect game, or that Ocarina is one.

Chrono Cross was an A+ game in its day. The person who wrote the letter might think he can play it last year and understand what it's like objectively because he was around in those days, but no. We'd all have odd nitpicks about the A+ JRPGs in the golden era of jRPGs if we played them recently.

And do we think if Ocarina were reviewed in 2014 that it would be declared "perfect"? No.

I didn't like how the Bombcast just accepted the premise of the letter. But whatever.. JRPGs aren't really their thing. Especially not classic ones.

sarcoa

Oh and mr. Caffeine was lame, but Jamie Kennedy was FAR worse. Not even close, almost insufferable to witness.
I was in the room for both of these and you 100% correct. Mr. Caffeine was a slightly awkward hype man that correlated neatly with Ubisoft's weird ass press conference experiences. He belonged there (and he was actually on the floor barking out pitches eight hours a day during the previous year, so you basically knew what to expect)

The Jamie Kennedy thing was alienating and uncomfortable. There wasn't any sillyness to it. It was just mean and spiteful and a total fuck up on the part of Activision.

I've heard just as many people argue that 10/10 doesn't mean "perfect". I'm surprised Jeff believes in the concept of a perfect game, or that Ocarina is one.

Chrono Cross was an A+ game in its day. The person who wrote the letter might think he can play it last year and understand what it's like objectively because he was around in those days, but no. We'd all have odd nitpicks about the A+ JRPGs in the golden era of jRPGs if we played them recently.

And do we think if Ocarina were reviewed in 2014 that it would be declared "perfect"? No.

I didn't like how the Bombcast just accepted the premise of the letter. But whatever.. JRPGs aren't really their thing. Especially not classic ones.

Being perfect doesn't mean it needs to be re-scored every year. It was released in a specific time and judged then as well. The mere thought of pulling a game out of time to judge it is ludicrous and prone to anachronistic bias, as you so expertly show. Jeff even explained how the process went, and it totally makes sense: can Ocarina be improved? If so it's imperfect, if not it's a flawess ten.

And for CC, Jeff was... disgruntled it was a highly prized 10 instead of a high praise 9 or something, probably. The thing is, he's professional enough to bow to an expert's opinion - there'd be no reason for him not to, and he's fully aware of this.

danm999

I guess the healthiest way to look at it is to regard the score as a metric of recommendation, rather than objective quality or perfection.

I just don't get Destiny.

I think maybe 7-10 years ago when I was a teenager in high school that it would've been great to play with friends, competing to get the best gear and everything.

Today though, I slogged through the main story and never looked back. Multiplayer didn't do anything for me either and I played hundreds of hours of Halo 2, 3, Reach, (and 4) online.

Shame.

FluxWaveZ

Being perfect doesn't mean it needs to be re-scored every year. It was released in a specific time and judged then as well. The mere thought of pulling a game out of time to judge it is ludicrous and prone to anachronistic bias, as you so expertly show. Jeff even explained how the process went, and it totally makes sense: can Ocarina be improved? If so it's imperfect, if not it's a flawess ten.

But... isn't that saying that no aspect of Ocarina of Time could be improved at the time it came out? Not in terms of design or anything? Didn't a lot of people dislike the game's convoluted water temple?

I think the concept of a "perfect" game is inherently flawed. Any and every game can be continuously iterated upon, given more resources and time.

Edit: Oh, but I might be missing something pertaining to the discussion since I haven't reached that point in the podcast yet.

erawsd

I guess the healthiest way to look at it is to regard the score as a metric of recommendation, rather than objective quality or perfection.

Yeah, I think that is exactly why a lot of publications, including Gamespot, have changed the wording of a 10 to no longer mean "Perfect".

Great cast. Got like 5 Dan stories, plus Drew in one of his rare outbursts: "IN THE KITCHEN!?!?! THEY'RE WASPS!!!!!!"

I also now wanna see Dan test-drive EvE. For science.

Chrono Cross: Don't think of it as a Trigger sequel, don't kvetch over the number of characters (wtf), don't care about the plot, just let the soundtrack wash over you.

Now, if we wanna talk Squaresoft 10s in 2000, Vagrant Story, motherfucker, lemme tell ya...

But... isn't that saying that no aspect of Ocarina of Time could be improved at the time it came out? Not in terms of design or anything? Didn't a lot of people dislike the game's convoluted water temple?

I think the concept of a "perfect" game is inherently flawed. Any and every game can be continuously iterated upon, given more resources and time.

Edit: Oh, but I might be missing something pertaining to the discussion since I haven't reached that point in the podcast yet.

They're also the reason we have corridor "dungeons" in too many games. FIE on them!

You're not misunderstanding; that's exactly what's being said. Ocarina of Time is an immaculately designed game that can only be brought down by bringing up petty, nitpicky flaws or obscure errors. And you should really experience the Water Temple if you want to do anything more than speculate. Bow to the experts here, just as Jeff did for Chrono Cross.

Regarding iteration, a well-iterated design doesn't necessarily mean it will be a better one. And Zelda games change so radically game-to-game that it would never fully iterate on itself. It's not an issue of smoothing out rough edges or removing imperfections.

Some games just hit at the right time to resonate beyond what they are - this is how perfection is achieved.

Definitely agree with this. I remember when when Borderlands first came out, I was convinced that Diablo style loot grinders were now obsolete, due to the more interesting combat mechanics of Borderlands. But after hundreds of hours of play on games from both sub-genres, the good old ARPG wins the loot grinder battle.

The more simplistic combat is needed precisely to allow crazy, game changing loot. Right now, none of the FPS loot grinders have found a way to make loot and abilities anywhere close to being as engaging.

I dunno, about that. At least they've played and enjoyed the old FFs. Modern JRPGs might as well not exist in their mind. Hell, even modern classics of the genre like Xenoblade Chronicles are met with complete ambivalence by a majority of the Bombcast.

Ocarina of Time is a perfect game

Water Temple says fuck you with regards :trollface

I actually came away from the story thinking Jeff didn't quite explain the implications of a 10 properly to the freelancer, hence feeling burnt because he didn't question the score hard enough.

Yea it seems there was some miscommunication there on what giving a "10" meant to both (which could have been muddied more due to being a freelancer) and Jeff didn't push further, especially since it wasn't his style of game.

FluxWaveZ

You're not misunderstanding; that's exactly what's being said. Ocarina of Time is an immaculately designed game that can only be brought down by bringing up petty, nitpicky flaws or obscure errors. And you should really experience the Water Temple if you want to do anything more than speculate. Bow to the experts here, just as Jeff did for Chrono Cross.

But... I did experience the Water Temple. Back when I played the game.

I need to listen to it to be able to say more, but I always see a "10/10" score as being directly equivalent to a "5-star" game. Surely it's not assumed that 5-star games are "perfect" games too? "Perfect" makes it seem like everyone will enjoy a given game and rejects the notion of subjectivity. Even in OoT's case, surely not everyone who played it enjoyed it, and would bring up the flaws they had with it that were more important for them than others.

Jintor

I don't know why, I feel like Dan had ample reason to be nonplussed at things this episode but for some reason I felt more annoyed by it this ep.

Oh well.

Top Bottom