• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 08/11/2015

KingKong

Boy I wish someone on the Beastcast watched TI5 so they could have a good discussion instead of Brad repeating half truths he read on reddit (EG was one of the favourites, there's no confirmation that Valve pays taxes, max viewers was 4.5 mil not 3)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Boy I wish someone on the Beastcast watched TI5 so they could have a good discussion instead of Brad repeating half truths he read on reddit (EG was one of the favourites, there's no confirmation that Valve pays taxes, max viewers was 4.5 mil not 3)

The same beastcast that repeats wrong stuff about evo? :p

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Brad is a bad Dota fan if he didnt know EG was one of the favorites. The tax rumor is a classic.

Curufinwe

D3 is a great co-op game on PS4. My wife and I both got the platinum, so I'm sure Dan and his lady could get it if they stick with it.

Seriously yeah. Not all starches are bad.

Don't overload it with butter or fat and a potato is pretty good for you.

Boil it, mash it, stick it in a stew.

Risible

"I was holding a copy of [game name] less than 24 hours ago." - Jeff Gerstmann

Holy shit I'm glad someone else noticed this. It's like Jeff is in an never-ending loop of trying to arrange and clean his game collection and ends up touching every game at least once every six months. He cracks me up.

I have this mental picture of Jeff's house. It's full of strange roommates that are constantly just fucking his house up, spray tanning in the bathrooms or dumping smelly shit on the carpets, putting locks on doors, all sorts of strange shit. Meanwhile the other rooms are full of TVs, consoles, and boxes upon boxes of games and gaming related items. It's a madhouse.

Fjordson

Awesome that Dan is liking TNG. Great show.

Does anyone know if the remastered TNG episodes are on any streaming services? Like Amazon Prime?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Reminds me that I need to keep a close watch on blu ray collection prices for TNG. been wanting those for years but so overpriced.

Curufinwe

Jeff's wrong about cross platform Xbox games not looking as good as Xbox exclusives. Chaos Theory looked as good as anything on the Xbox.

after never having watched TNG based on their conversation (and that Max Tempkin guide) I decided to watch that episode where they send Ryker to go work for the Klingons in some "officer exchange program" and, you know what? I think I'm going to keep watching.

No_Style

Jeff Gerstmann said:
You have shitty dreams, Dan Ryckert!

LOL. <3 Jeff's one liners.

after never having watched TNG based on their conversation (and that Max Tempkin guide) I decided to watch that episode where they send Ryker to go work for the Klingons in some "officer exchange program" and, you know what? I think I'm going to keep watching.

Riker. But now I'm envisioning a picture of Dan in Riker's uniform. I don't know how I feel about this.

SPCTRE

LOL. <3 Jeff's one liners.

Riker. But now I'm envisioning a picture of Dan in Riker's uniform. I don't know how I feel about this.
At this point I would probably not call you crazy if you told me Dan Ryckert was actually in an episode of TNG as a 4-year-old.

Lol the part where Brad was reading the email about Birdos head orifice, he took a pause and Jeff goes "go on." I don't know why but that cracked me up.

Also, Les Enfants Teriblylyly

so1337

Jeff's wrong about cross platform Xbox games not looking as good as Xbox exclusives. Chaos Theory looked as good as anything on the Xbox.
Actually he's right. Chaos Theory is an exception because the Splinter Cell games were developed with the Xbox as lead platform.

Fjordson

I'm surprised none of them seemed too keen on DS9. It's pretty different from other Trek shows, but damn is it good imo.

It's a great show overall for anyone even mildly interested in sci-fi. S1 is mostly dull, but it picks up in a major way after that.

KarmaCow

If Dan wants to see Worf kick ass he should definitely watch DS9, plus there is a whole T1000 like alien race.

The Jem'Hadar? They're like the terminators in the future scenes that get punked by starving humans in the wasteland.

Or do you mean the Changelings because they're way more interesting than a mindless, mass produced robot.

The Jem'Hadar? They're like the terminators in the future scenes that get punked by starving humans in the wasteland.

Or do you mean the Changelings because they're way more interesting than a mindless, mass produced robot.

Yes the changelings, I was breaking it down to a Dan level.

Everyone: Watch the episode "Darmok." Doesn't matter whether you're a fan of The Next Generation, a fan of Star Trek or even a fan of sci-fi in general. Just watch it. I think it's free online in an official capacity.

Nintenyearold

Neo Member
If its working for Dan maybe I could follow this guide to watch TNG with my fiancee. She likes other scifi but she hasn't watched any Star Trek and I don't know if she'd appreciate the schlockier episodes much.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
DS9 and Enterprise had the same problem TNG had. The first two seasons sucked. It's just that by that point everyone was jumping into the series from the very start, unlike TNG where a lot of people started getting into it midway.

Jeff, Brad, and Jason probably weren't old enough to care about the bad quality of TNG in 87-88 and write off the series based on those poor seasons. Otherwise they probably would have written TNG off for the same reasons they wrote off DS9 and Enterprise.

On the other hand, Voyager was subpar front to back. There's no defending that one.

Vlitra

Banned
Does anyone else listen to the Bombcast on the Stitcher app? It didn't upload this week on mine. Wondering if it was just me.

SlickVic

I loved the Star Trek talk considering I just started watching TNG this summer (currently making my way through Season 4). I didn't follow the guide as I suppose I'm one of the crazy people who actually didn't mind the first couple seasons (though I can fully admit the show comes into its own Season 3 onwards). I somewhat regret not being a fan of the show earlier, as I never paid much attention in the past when Ryan and Jeff used to talk about Star Trek on the Bombcast. Would've liked to have heard more of Ryan's thoughts on the shows, but those earlier podcasts are just a blur now.

Also, if you want to watch TNG and got Amazon Prime, make sure you watch it on Prime Instant. Netflix only has them in crappy SD quality, whereas Amazon has the episodes in HD remastered (not 100% on the later seasons as I haven't got there yet).

Early DS9 is some of the roughest TV ever. I am not surprised many gave up on it, It is markedly worse to get through than early TNG was. Nana Visitor basically could not act in Season One.

I am not sure what point it changed but at it got great after that rocky start. Later on the whole Dominion Wars plot kick in, and they had a 60+ episode run on amazing content spanning several seasons.

Kira Nerys even become one of the best characters on the show, after I wished hope she would be killed off in Season 2.

Early DS9 is some of the roughest TV ever. I am not surprised many gave up on it, It is markedly worse to get through than early TNG was. Nana Visitor basically could not act in Season One.

Oh Season 1 is actually not that bad if you go back to rewatch it. Even has one of the nest episodes of the entire series in Duet.

Except for If Wishes Were Horses, that was trash.

But DS9 season 1 is MILES better than TNG season 1.

eot

Banned

Anyone who doesn't know those things already doesn't care.

Top Bottom