• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - Let's Talk About Memberships!

Zeliard

This is also, incidentally, one of the worst ways to add a paid membership to anything: subtracting value from the base, instead of adding value to the premium.

They're doing a very similar thing that Microsoft did when they went with addition-by-subtraction with the XBL Gold membership, removing the ability for Silver members to play many demos until a week after they're released (always has to be a week doesn't it), and instead conferring that to Gold as an "exclusive membership feature."

Add value to premium memberships, please. Don't remove something basic that people have always had in a deeply misguided attempt to make that some 'new' feature exclusive to those who pay. It's a fairly contemptible business practice.

h3ro

I was just watching/reading the new info on how they were going to be following the development of Bastion and was really hyped on seeing how the game was going to progress through the eyes of the GB crew.

This sucks. Kinda killed my hype for that continuing segment. Are non-subscribers even going to be able to read it?

shwimpy

criesofthepast said:
Yeah I'm actually really happy to see GAF giving them hell about this. I know they are loved on here so I expected the defense force to be in full effect.

Who in their right mind would defend paying 50 bucks a year for something that should be free? ;-)

hamchan said:
I guess people are still getting it the full thing eventually but it's still dumb.

Bombcast threads will never be the same. This is fucked!
Silver lining.

I just started listening to the bomb cast about 2 months ago and I really enjoy it. It isn't often I can listen to just people talking for that long but it's been interesting enough.
This sucks.

Cday

Banned
AcridMeat said:
After talking about it for a bit, I'm convinced this is a troll. It just has to be.

Not against the subscription in any way, no really, not against the idea of that. But to go ahead and fuck with the greatest part of GiantBomb has to be a huge joke they're playing on everyone.

After years of talking mess about companies' silly subscriptions and DLC plans and crap, they go ahead and announce this?

I think if they were trolling they would have said the entire bombcast was subscription only.

eznark

Banned
snide said:
For the podcast we'll be creating 4 separate feeds. The current one everyone subscribes to will turn into the one hour version.

We'll then create new RSS feeds so you can pick whichever version you want. Don't worry, it'll be pretty clear. I'll dedicate a whole page to it. You won't have to download the files directly on the website, the worst that will happen is you'll need to change the url where your iTunes or Zune or whatever points to.
:lol :lol :lol

ok, this has to be a joke, right?

Fuck this sucks so much. I love the Bombcast but there is no way I cant pay $50 for it, and I cant see waiting a week to hear them talk about gaming news. I am also worried about what having a split will do to the show.

entremet

Zombie James said:
Here's an alternate idea...

Free: Bombcast with ads.
Paid: Bombcast without ads.
That's not a big incentive. Just FF. I think the bonus cast should be the only thing behind the pay wall, not their flagship cast.

I'm paying but I thought they said that they weren't going to segment the audience for existing content. Not too happy about this podcast issue but I guess it doesn't apply to me. I know people aren't going to subscribe just for the podcast so this is a little silly.

Lothars

Dizzy-4U said:
# the bombcast is now being cut into two parts...same amount of time, but just categorized into two parts.
# the full two hours will only be available to subscribers, HOWEVER, that first hour will still be free to everyone.
# in that first week, that full two hours of the bombcast will only be available to members. However, that following week, we will make that free to everyone. yes, that 2nd hour will be put up.

I don't like that at all, I have no issues with them charging for subscriptions but doing this is just wrong and really hurts the credibility of the site.

stupei

lawblob said:
This really is insane. Could they not just record a second, paid-only Bombcast later in thte week and give that to paid members? Maybe focus on in-depth discussion of a few games or somethinng?

This is what I was expecting. Maybe in-depth spoilery discussion of a recent release or news from later in the week.

Or more Starcraft II.

Gomu Gomu

Dizzy-4U said:
How about video feed of the bombcast for paid members?
Great Idea. Doesn't have to be fancy either. It can be 3 static cameras pointed at them recording. Slap the video part with the audio in the editing phase, and boom.

hamchan

elrechazao said:
see, THAT might be worth paying for. ADD content to the paying group.

Yes, it's so simple to set up too.

Video Feed for paid members, audio for free members.

Screw this splitting up the bombcast. Don't take away stuff to try and make an audience pay Giant Bomb, you're not a big company like Microsoft that can pull it off.

Hiding content behind a paygate is a horrible idea.

If the Giant Bomb guys are still on the lookout for ideas, I'd like to offer up a suggestion. Keep the membership fee optional, but tie it to specific content on the site that can be had by ALL provided a certain threshold of memberships is met.

This gives incentive for people to sign up (to add to the premium content on the site for everybody) while also not splitting the community into tiers and walling off content that you guys already share for free.

Now, if you cant think of any content that would be worthwhile to unleash, then you probably don't have enough to charge for as it is.

Zeliard

I wonder how they'll note the split in the Bombcast itself after the first hour is done.

"So, uh, you cheap fucks who aren't paying, see you next week!"

daycru

I don't understand what the big drain on the guys' time is. The horrible Brad Nicholson handles most of the news. Why isn't there time for the traditional Bombcast?

HamPster PamPster said:
It's April fools in September

I hope the big live live show love opens with a big GOTCHA CHA CHA CHA

rsvfcj.gif

eznark

Banned
LCfiner said:
technically, they’re delaying content. not taking it away.

yup, so Snide's post isn't reeeeealy a lie, it's just incredibly scummy and misleading.

I imagine the Bombcast is a top driver to the site, their best advertisement essentially....let's drive people away! Brilliant.

Zeliard

LCfiner said:

They're taking away the ability for listeners to do what they've always been able to do which is listen to the entire podcast when it's released. They're artificially reducing value from the base in order to bolster the premium.

shwimpy

LCfiner said:

If 1 hour comes out on Tuesday and the rest on Friday/Saturday/Sunday, I have no problem whatsoever with waiting a couple days. Hopefully that is the case since the bombcast is the only thing I care about on that site.

They better not take away quicklooks and features. Those are what I really like. I can see them taking away TANG.... Also, sucks about the bombcast.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Unsubscribed.

ShockingAlberto said:
I think any backlash is going to be totally outweighed by the people willing to pay money for it.

They seem pretty willing to sacrifice listeners to keep the ones who don't mind paying.

Sadly I agree, I just can't ever see GB in the same light after this.

h3ro said:
Welcome back to my #1 spot, Garnett!

Amen seriously, I bet he'll welcome the increase in listeners.

34j24og.gif

:-(

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Basileus777 said:
They have to split the bombcast, otherwise who would pay $50 a year for nonsense like HD quicklooks?

and that why I decided to not clicking on GB or other whiskey media sites anymore , it's clear that whiskey media want to cash it on GB guys and Bombcast popularity and it's just fucking disgusting.

bluestuff

Judging by past business practices by the giant bomb guys, this seems so ridiculous that it can only be a joke:D

right?

Zeliard said:
They're taking away the ability for listeners to do what they've always been able to do which is listen to the entire podcast when it's released. They're artificially reducing value from the base in order to bolster the premium.
Yep. This idea has been spreading like a virus and all it fosters is ill will. Removing existing features is just stating clearly that the core membership isn't a value in its own right.

Lothars

Totobeni said:
and that why I decided to not clicking on GB or other whiskey media sites anymore , it's clear that whiskey media want to cash it on GB guys and Bombcast popularity and it's just fucking disgusting.

you can't tell me it's just whiskey media, it's the giant bomb guys that decided this and it's gonna do more damage than it's worth for them plus it loses any goodwill they might have had.

AcridMeat

Banned
daycru said:
I don't understand what the big drain on the guys' time is. The horrible Brad Nicholson handles most of the news. Why isn't there time for the traditional Bombcast?

This is something I haven't even considered. After a summer of Matt Kessler and Brad Nicholson, there was (what I felt) a lack of content compared to before from the core guys at Giant Bomb.

Now that they announce a new subscription service, I was thinking, "hey maybe they'll have more from the original guys!" Sure, a new Friday show, I totally wanted that. Something akin to On the Spot of old.

Fucking splitting the one reliable thing I had for 2 years?! Fuck OFF

Calcaneus

LCfiner said:
That's the only reason I'm not as angry about it. I usually listen to the show pretty late anyways, so its not really hurting me.

But I hate the idea on principle. When this subscription idea was unveiled, they said nothing we were already getting would change. A lot of Giant Bomb fans were already ready to pay for this out of love for the site anyways, I feel like this will only piss them off.

LCfiner said:
That's a bullshit technicality though. They're degrading the experience for non-paid members.

$50/yr was already putting me on the fence, but this is just insulting.

This is so fucking stupid, breaking up something that works. Is it really hard to figure out that locking away originally free stuff will just enrage people?

I honestly would have no problem with them creating a weekly "The 1up Show" style video podcast and charging for that... that is fine with me. $2 for that is fine! Run it in seasons with a few 2/3 week breaks now and then - for around 40 weeks of the year... I would pay for that.

THAT'S $80 A YEAR I WOULD BE HAPPY TO GIVE

This, on the other hand, BULLSHIT. The way it is been handled, BULLSHIT. The jokey way they talk about their idea, BULLSHIT

sbhc80.jpg

Top Bottom