• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - Let's Talk About Memberships!

Totobeni said:
and that why I decided to not clicking on GB or other whiskey media sites anymore , it's clear that whiskey media want to cash it on GB guys and Bombcast popularity and it's just fucking disgusting.
It seems they're all hands on deck here.

Nothing indicates the Giant Bomb guys are unwilling or even kind of reluctant about going with this plan.

Ahahahahahahahahaha @ splitting the bombcast. Too funny. This went from a "not right now, but definitely in the future" purchase to thinking GiantBomb is the new pariah of gaming websites

Dave seems like a cool dude and I'm sure he'll see the reaction and at least discuss the change, right? But, uh, are we sure this isn't a joke? I haven't listened to the podcast and I honestly feel like people are just trolling me

eznark

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
It seems they're all hands on deck here.

Nothing indicates the Giant Bomb guys are unwilling or even kind of reluctant about going with this plan.

Ya, no reason to let them hide behind corporates skirts here. That announcement podcast showed how gung ho they are for this.

I hope they don't try to do this with Tested, it'll kill that site.

Rodhull

The most disappointing thing for me personally is that I just flat out enjoy longer podcasts more so I know my enjoyment is gonna be reduced. I just don't think the second segment will be anywhere near as enjoyable separately out of context from the first part of the show.

Odrion

Banned
remember when they said they wouldn't take away current features for non paying customers?

HAHAHAHAAAAAAHAHAHAHA

stupei

I think it's a bad idea, like I said, but why are people seriously reacting like this isn't a job and business where these people are in it to make money?

ITT BOMBCAST BACKLASH BACKLASH

Jeffnotwant.gif

i dunno about the price of the service, I think they should of gone with two tiers
Basic: Everything you got now but fucking chuck full of ads, limited archived stuff you can access, limited forum access like how something awful setup there stuff
Paid: Everything in HD no ads, access to the catalog of stuff, full forum access, T shirt

I have to see what else they are going to do to make this Giantbomb Gold membership worthwhile. BUT i honestly can't stand you guys complaining that whiskey media wants to make money, you know what else gaf loved? 1up with all the free content maybe they would of still be alive if they some how figured out how to make a profit off the podcasts and videos or something.

daycru

dream said:
I kind of get the feeling Giant Bomb won't exist a year from now.
They've bled money for years with the idea of building a brand. Pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for the money backers. If businesses were fueled by message board posts and smiling faces at PAX, 1UP (as we knew it) wouldn't have gone under.

AcridMeat

Banned
stupei said:
I think it's a bad idea, like I said, but why are people seriously reacting like this isn't a job and business where these people are in it to make money?

People understood this, they were generally for the subscription. They just fucked it all up in the worst possible way.

I hope this isn't real, god damn it.

Barrett2

stupei said:
It's because they are committing the cardinal sin of pay gates. Instead of adding real value for subscribers, they are basically punishing those who don't subscribe. I would love for everyone at Whiskey to become millionaires, and am willing to kick a few bucks to that end, but I just don't like the direction this is heading...

deadnoob

I think $50 is too much and I barely use the website other than just watching videos. That being said, I think I'll pay since GiantBomb is one of my favorite things and I'd love to support them.

Helmholtz

Odrion said:
remember when they said they wouldn't take away current features for non paying customers?

HAHAHAHAAAAAAHAHAHAHA
Yup, this is what bothers me the most. It went from being a few features given to the subscribers, to seriously neutering the site for non-subscribers. I never thought they would do something this stupid.

Zeliard

stupei said:

Notice how almost nobody is taking issue with the idea of a Giant Bomb paid membership in general, outside of perhaps the price. It's specifically what they are doing with the podcast that is receiving criticism, and deservedly so. It's a shameful type of business practice.

hamchan

stupei said:

Part of the reason I'm outraged is because I honestly think this is a dumb business decision that has hurt the image of Giant Bomb and will stunt growth.

There are ways to get people to pay without taking things away.

stupei said:
Who is acting like this? There were tons of people ready to pay for a subscription when they announced plans earlier this year.

It's the implementation, not the idea, that's the problem here.

eznark

Banned
Technosteve said:
i honestly can't stand you guys complaining that whiskey media wants to make money, you know what else gaf loved? 1up with all the free content maybe they would of still be alive if they some how figured out how to make a profit off the podcasts and videos or something.

I honestly think this will kill the web site.

Rlan

The second half of the podcast is News, New Releases and e-mails. How the fuck does that make any sense when it's almost all based on what's happening that week??

GavinGT

Banned
I'm so in. I've been looking for a way to pay these guys for years. I wanna see the shirt I'll be getting ASAP.

The more I think about it, though, peppering the site with ads would be less offensive.

Ceebs

Aquavelvaman said:
Splitting the podcast is dumb, but like Jeff said: after the first week you still get 2 hours of bombcast free every week. The second half just comes later for unsubscribers. Still dumb.
Yes, 2 disjointed hours of podcast. No thank you Giant Bomb.

Zeliard

Rlan said:
The second half of the podcast is News, New Releases and e-mails. How the fuck does that make any sense when it's almost all based on what's happening that week??

I was considering this too. :lol

I'm assuming the entire format of the podcast will change, or else all of this is even more nonsensical.

Technosteve said:
i dunno about the price of the service, I think they should of gone with two tiers
Basic: Everything you got now but fucking chuck full of ads, limited archived stuff you can access, limited forum access like how something awful setup there stuff
Paid: Everything in HD no ads, access to the catalog of stuff, full forum access, T shirt

lol, get the fuck out with that noise, i'd rather lose the shitty podcast altogether.

Rlan said:
I guess they'll have to make that the first hour, and try to cram in What Have You Been Playing with it?

HamPster PamPster said:
The worst part?

It just proves Amir0x right and that just doesn't sit well with me
ARGH DON'T SAY THAT

stupei

Zeliard said:
Notice how almost nobody is taking issue with the idea of a Giant Bomb membership in general, outside of perhaps the price. It's specifically what they are doing with the podcast that is receiving criticism, and deservedly so. It's a shameful type of business practice.

As I already said: I agree that they should be adding value instead of taking away.

I just don't understand the people who are talking about them being sellouts trying for a cash in. Well, yeah, it's their jobs where they make their money, so yes they are doing it for the money.

It's a bad idea and it will probably backfire. It's a bad idea that deserves backlash. But of course it was always going to be about the money, of course it was always going to be cashing in, of course they must inevitably find a better way to monetize the site in order to keep it going. It's a business. While you might understand that, some people in the thread really seem to miss it.

Though yeah, pulling away some of the podcast is about the worst possible strategy. Podcasts tend to serve as a means of luring people to your site, where you then try to make money off them. (Find it interesting, actually, that they seem so against rushing into ads on the site but are fine with this. It almost feels like the videos are the content they care more about, since it's largely unique, and they don't seem to think as highly of the podcast or consider it as important.)

Rlan said:

That will go in the first free hour now.

stupei said:
Just because something is a business does not mean I have to be happy with every decision they make to get more money.

If Nintendo raised the price of all their games to $80, I'm not going to go "Well, they have children to feed, I understand."

No one champions Namco's right to lock away sizeable game content behind DLC to better monetize it. People complain about that being fully aware that Namco let g of 500 people a little while back. Maybe if you bought all their DLC those people could have kept their jobs?

I dislike this idea that people don't have the right to disagree with or complain about a decision a company makes because they need money. Fuck, I need money, where's everyone's defense of me monetizing my posts?

You're mad because this isn't a faceless conglomerate, these are guys that have names, faces, identities, and provide you with entertainment. Other people still have the right to complain even knowing all that.

Draft

Wow.

What the fuck?

I was totally and truthfully going to paypal them $50 when this thing went live, but splitting the Bombcast? Soured me to the whole deal. I don't want to support this kind of shit.

The money situation at Whiskey Media must be dire for them to resort to such repugnant shit.

hamchan

Rlan said:

They're shifting the podcast segments around.

I hope on the Big Live Live Show Live tomorrow they announce they've changed their minds on splitting up the bombcast. Hopefully community backlash is large enough.

Big-E

Wow, such a horrible decision. When the news came out that they were doing a subscription model, the way they talked seemed to me like they got what a subscription needs to entail. I thought they would do it right by giving paid people added content but still let free people to access what they have come to love about the site. $60(only US gets $50 apparently) for this service is quite steep and has given me some reservations but this podcast bullshit is just that, bullshit and is probably the main reason why I will not be giving them my money.

Wont some subscriber just upload the second half of the podcast so GAF can download it and make arguments about "how its not stealing, it should be free"

Also, this reminds me of the Left 4 Dead 2 announcement "apocalypse".

john tv

That splitting the podcast thing can't be real, right? I don't think it's wrong to charge for quality content (especially guys like GB who are working their asses off and doing a great job), but splitting up the show sounds like a really bad idea.

sgnhh

Neo Member
This is weird, but my life does not revolve around the Bombcast. I can wait a week to hear some dudes opinions on video games.

Rlan said:

They'll reformat it. The Bombcast is going to have to change to accommodate this new system.

Tobor

Draft said:
Wow.

What the fuck?

I was totally and truthfully going to paypal them $50 when this thing went live, but splitting the Bombcast? Soured me to the whole deal. I don't want to support this kind of shit.

The money situation at Whiskey Media must be dire for them to resort to such repugnant shit.
That's the interesting part of this to me(not a fan of the podcast). Business must be bad to resort to this.

I seriously can't get over this, it's way too hilarious. This is the literal timeline of events for me.

Subscription service idea first announced
"I literally cannot wait to give these guys my money. How do they do it?"

Subscription idea is fleshed out
"HD videos sounds neat, and a free t-shirt? Yeah, I think these guys know how to make a pay model"

Final pricing and feature list released
"A little more expensive than I can afford right now, but 50 for the year is what I'm paying for Xbox Live anyways. Sounds like a good value proposition, just not right now"

Bombcast split
"Hahahah, oh man, those GiantBomb guys...they...they sure know a good joke. Right? I mean, haha, wow, just...just a bunch of practical joksters...yeah, right? I mean...no way they think...but...not even fucking IGN does that!"

Just curious, but did everybody hate my idea?
showpost.php

Its basically a benefactor system. Basically, people that can and want to pay sign up for memberships, and that money goes towards new features for *all* users.

If they wanted to sweeten the deal they could always give out schwag, tickets to events, or DLC codes/beta invite codes to benefactors.

I'm thinking here along the lines of community unlocks, like World of Warcraft has used, and that Reach will use to unlock certain armor permutations. But the community event that unlocks this content and features would be based upon benefactor support.

Too charitable? Too idealistic? Too complicated?

Top Bottom