• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GiantBomb - TitanFall framerate in mech combat is not fixed in Xbox One retail code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ooccoo

I blame a lot of gamers for generating hype over this product. It's basically Call of Duty with mechs, wow what a revolution that is! Seriously people who buy this instead of actual quality and original games are why the industry is such in a poor state. Indies create better games than AAA studios and million dollar budgets. Yet reviewers give TitanFall 8-9s left and right despite glaring technical problems, awful graphics and laughable A.I. amongst other stuff. Very funny

I blame a lot of gamers for generating hype over this product. It's basically Call of Duty with mechs, wow what a revolution that is! Seriously people who buy this instead of actual quality and original games are why the industry is such in a poor state. Indies create better games than AAA studios and million dollar budgets. Yet reviewers give TitanFall 8-9s left and right despite glaring technical problems, awful graphics and laughable A.I. amongst other stuff. Very funny

Reviewers play to their audience except for a few of them. EA + MS generated the hype backed up by reviews and a beta

Eusis

He's not completely wrong and not completely right, but his attempt at a joke is very lowest common denominator.

Not to mention the game is also for Windows and exhibited some of the same framerate and tearing problems during the beta. So it's likely the game engine just needs some patching in general.
While it's a tentpole next-gen title there'll be several others. If the likes of inFamous, Witcher 3, and Batman: Arkham Knight are also letdowns then I think we have a problem, but the PS2 had games like Timesplatter and Zone of the Enders as its major early titles, and frankly the beta alone curbstomps both of those so I think just for an entertaining game we're pretty well off.
I was in the beta.

mid-range rig.

i5 2400k @ 3.8GHz, GTX 570 1.2Gb VRAM, 8GB DDR3 RAM.

With adaptive V-Sync forced and texture resolutions set to high (as opposed to insane) the game ran pretty consistently at 60fps.
Is this about the graphics being a disappointment then? I'm pretty sure last gen was a fluke and even that's debatable. PC games out when the PS2 hit had to be cut up or cut down to work well on that, Deus Ex for example hit after the Japanese launch of the system and ran at 30 FPS with much smaller areas. And that was probably one of the better handled ports for games not intended to run on consoles in the first place.
Well, it IS a fun game, but yeah I think some people might have it put on too high a pedestal. But maybe that's something of a strawman and most people are just looking forward to a fun looking MP title while others are shooting it down? To a degree the buzz does feel generated too, but that's what happens when Microsoft and EA want to push a game hard.

Ooccoo

Reviewers play to their audience except for a few of them. EA + MS generated the hype backed up by reviews and a beta

Yea EA curse is real. It seems they stain everything they touch, even when they're just a publisher. I bet Respawn feels awful for launching their game early.

DedValve

Banned
te3nxkS.gif

Oh my god. Im on the floor. Im gasping for air.

J-Rzez

Single digit frame rate in this game? I'm sorry. I know the XB1 isn't a powerhouse, but come on. This game should not turn into a slideshow at any time, period. This would be developer issues, it has to be. Crazy.

renitou

Should have kept it at 720p.

I bet respawn had pressure on them to up the resolution late in development after resolution-gate and CBOAT and this is the price they pay.
The overestimation of a specific leaker (and this website generally) continues to expand with no end in sight.

There is an entire (fairly large) subset of people who love playing these types of games and find them incredibly fun. It is what they choose to do for entertainment. The industry needs games like this just like it needs indies, so people can have choice.

You're complaining that reviewers are inflating scores but you yourself describe your problems with the game with the exact same passion. "Awful" graphics? "Awful"? Is awful the right word to use? To me, no way. The graphics might not be the most dazzling example of next generation fidelity but compared to everything else I've seen on most games, they look pretty darn good.

Surely if the beta sucked it would have turned off a lot of people, right?

Would a company even offer a beta for anyone to play if the experience was so shitty it would turn them off from buying it?

Things for you to ponder.

Steffen

Banned
There is an entire (fairly large) subset of people who love playing these types of games and find them incredibly fun. It is what they choose to do for entertainment. The industry needs games like this just like it needs indies, so people can have choice.

You're complaining that reviewers are inflating scores but you yourself describe your problems with the game with the exact same passion. "Awful" graphics? "Awful"? Is awful the right word to use? To me, no way. The graphics might not be the most dazzling example of next generation fidelity but compared to everything else I've seen on most games, they look pretty darn good.

Haters_Gonna_Hate_03.jpg

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm fully expecting a virgin birth origin story to emerge for CBOAT any day now. Some of his followers are as devout as they come.

I don't know what you mean! Making sweeping changes to your game at the expense of the entire fanbase to make one guy on a forum wrong makes total sense.

I don't know what you mean! Making sweeping changes to your game at the expense of the entire fanbase to make one guy on a forum wrong makes total sense.

One guy on a forum? ONE GUY ON A FORUM?!?

Do you realize who you are talking about right now? DO YOU REALIZE?!?

Surely if the beta sucked it would have turned off a lot of people, right?

Would a company even offer a beta for anyone to play if the experience was so shitty it would turn them off from buying it?

Things for you to ponder.

I never said the game was bad, I was saying the beta helped the hype. The reason it helped was because it wasn't a train wreck and was fun. I actually don't think the game is bad but I'm not going to be playing it because I don't like the gunplay. I don't play CoD either for this reason. Honestly, most fps games have passed me by.

As for betas that are so shitty they turn people off, look at the elder scrolls online.

Companies release betas for a number of reasons, some are just glorified demos and it makes people feel special if they are playing the game before it is out. I'm sure Titanfall's was mainly to check out the server situation which apparently isn't completely handling the load according to Giant Bomb's pre review

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz, GTX 670, 8GB DDR3 RAM.
1920x1080, textures set to Insane.

FPS dipped down to 40 at times, tearing evident. Regardless, we're discussing a game that hasn't had any patches yet. It might not be the most impressive next-gen game we've ever seen, but it's definitely not the worst, and Respawn has said they're continuing to optimize it. They've been very upfront with us about everything so far, so why are we suddenly doubting them?

If you had set textures down to High you would have held a steady 60 without a problem. Your card doesn't have enough VRAM for the Insane quality textures which is what was causing your framerate to get eaten.

My point was that the game isn't necessarily poorly optimized as long as you appropriately choose your settings. Of course insane texture would cause framerate drops, because it's trying to load 3Gb of textures into 2Gb of VRAM which just isn't going to work out well.

Is this about the graphics being a disappointment then? I'm pretty sure last gen was a fluke and even that's debatable. PC games out when the PS2 hit had to be cut up or cut down to work well on that, Deus Ex for example hit after the Japanese launch of the system and ran at 30 FPS with much smaller areas. And that was probably one of the better handled ports for games not intended to run on consoles in the first place.

The person mentioned perhaps it's just a poorly coded game. This is about the performance of the PC version. On modest hardware, the game performs alright, especially if you are appropriately choosing settings that match your hardware.

Steffen

Banned
If you had set textures down to High you would have held a steady 60 without a problem. Your card doesn't have enough VRAM for the Insane quality textures which is what was causing your framerate to get eaten.

My point was that the game isn't necessarily poorly optimized as long as you appropriately choose your settings. Of course insane texture would cause framerate drops, because it's trying to load 3Gb of textures into 2Gb of VRAM which just isn't going to work out well.

The person mentioned perhaps it's just a poorly coded game. This is about the performance of the PC version. On modest hardware, the game performs alright, especially if you are appropriately choosing settings that match your hardware.

I will keep that in mind when the game unlocks in about 20 minutes. I can report back on my findings if you are curious.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
They had a beta. People aren't buying it because of the hype. They're buying it because they think it's fun.

So is the game CPU limited or GPU limited? I haven't seen that many benchmarks yet.

Jburton

Banned
Was just watching some twitch streams and the tearing is worse than I thought.

I believed maybe some where inflating the issue but it's very prominent.

Says a lot in terms of the shortcuts are Respawn had to take to get as solid a frame rate as they could, especially with the game being not exactly a looker.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I will keep that in mind when the game unlocks in about 20 minutes. I can report back on my findings if you are curious.

Totally yeah.

Another tip I found useful was to use Nvidia Control Panel, select Manage 3D settings, Add Titanfall to your game list and then within Titanfall, force Adaptive V-sync.

This overrides the in game V-sync option and if you set it to triple or double buffered allows you to render higher than 60fps if you have a monitor that can do that(mines 120hz which is why i did it). If not, then just setting V-sync to off in game and forcing adaptive V-sync ensures the stable 60fps without tearing and just seems to be a better implementation of V-sync than whatever the game uses by default.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Totally yeah.

Another tip I found useful was to use Nvidia Control Panel, select Manage 3D settings, Add Titanfall to your game list and then within Titanfall, force Adaptive V-sync.

This overrides the in game V-sync option and if you set it to triple or double buffered allows you to render higher than 60fps if you have a monitor that can do that(mines 120hz which is why i did it). If not, then just setting V-sync to off in game and forcing adaptive V-sync ensures the stable 60fps without tearing and just seems to be a better implementation of V-sync than whatever the game uses by default.
I will try this out, thanks.

remnant

Banned
Right..I'm sure you really give a fuck about the indie games that won't get 8 and 9's now that TF has released.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yep, let's just ignore the traversal elements that make combat nothing like Call of Duty, and are immediately noticeable if you watch more than 10 seconds of gameplay.

Eusis

Well, I can't deny that's possibly the case too. Likely perhaps.

Steffen

Banned
Totally yeah.

Great advice. Works like a charm.

i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz, GTX 670, 8GB DDR3 RAM.
1920x1080, textures set to Insane.

FPS dipped down to 40 at times, tearing evident. Regardless, we're discussing a game that hasn't had any patches yet. It might not be the most impressive next-gen game we've ever seen, but it's definitely not the worst, and Respawn has said they're continuing to optimize it. They've been very upfront with us about everything so far, so why are we suddenly doubting them?
It might not be the most impressive and it's definitely not the worst we've seen
they should put that on the back of the box :p, right next to the 87 metacritic score

While it's a tentpole next-gen title there'll be several others. If the likes of inFamous, Witcher 3, and Batman: Arkham Knight are also letdowns then I think we have a problem, but the PS2 had games like Timesplatter and Zone of the Enders as its major early titles, and frankly the beta alone curbstomps both of those so I think just for an entertaining game we're pretty well off.

You just talked shit about one of the best game mechanics and combat (super smooth 60 fps) action games of the ps2 era (zoe) and one of the favorite shooters on ps2 of a lot of gaffers.
Maybe while you're at it you'd like to call disgaea, mgs2/3 , ssx and silent hill 2 worse than titanfall as well?

actually if he was vram bottlenecked he wouldn't see framedrops to 40 fps he would 0 fps freezes for 1-2seconds at a time every time the game has to fetch something from the pagefile because the vram didn't have room for it

I have modest hardware (hd6870 and a phenom II, which is better than what's in the xbone and runs other source games at 100+ fps, runs battlefield 3 pretty well (a lot better than titanfall ran and without stuttering) and the game ran poorly for me even with the texture setting on low (and vsync was off, I never ever play with it on in any games, I dislike input lag)
Maybe it's just amd drivers being shit as usual, maybe the game is extraordinarily cpu intensive so people with i5s have less issues, but an i5 isn't exaclty modest.
For reference I could deal with 50 ish fps in bf3 with drops to low 40s (though within a few days after getting the game I just dropped everything to medium so I could get a much higher framerate) but this ran much worse than that, I was getting very inconsistent frametimes even when fraps said the average was 60 fps there was still clear stutter from frameskipping or just some really long frames

TheD

The Detective
Totally yeah.

Adaptive V-Sync drops V-Sync when the framerate drops below the refresh rate.

Biker19

Banned
Sucks we're stuck with this lack of power for another 6+ years.

Yep. Thankfully, Sony gave us a system more capable. It's still not what I was hoping for, but it's stomping Xbox One's ass.

I agree. Thank goodness for Sony & PS4, because otherwise...ugh. We already have the Wii U & Xbox One using very weak hardware, & we have both of those consoles pushing out mostly Native 720p games in 2014. That's simply pathetic.

daman824

I agree. Thank goodness for Sony & PS4, because otherwise...ugh. We already have the Wii U & Xbox One using very weak hardware, & we have both of those consoles pushing out mostly Native 720p games in 2014. That's simply pathetic.

Comparing the xb1 to the wii u in terms of specs is.....interesting.

I don't know if its "wrong" to bring this up in the discussion, but our good friend famousmortimer on twitter says stable framerate is coming in a patch, along with an up-rez to the "900p range"...

I don't know if its "wrong" to bring this up in the discussion, but our good friend famousmortimer on twitter says stable framerate is coming in a patch, along with an up-rez to the "900p range"...
I fucking hope so. I love this game already even after 2 games... But man these frame rate drops are hurting. :(

Those bastards having fun with a game. Can't have that can we.

Eusis

You just talked shit about one of the best game mechanics and combat (super smooth 60 fps) action games of the ps2 era (zoe) and one of the favorite shooters on ps2 of a lot of gaffers.
Maybe while you're at it you'd like to call disgaea, mgs2/3 , ssx and silent hill 2 worse than titanfall as well?
Both of those games had better followups than the original games themselves, though I can't speak from personal experience for Timesplitters 2 & 3. And given how substantial ZoE1 was it arguably IS fair to compare that with a beta with 2 maps.

Steffen

Banned
It might not be the most impressive and it's definitely not the worst we've seen
they should put that on the back of the box :p, right next to the 87 metacritic score

My word, people are salty tonight.

It's somewhat concerning that people are getting so upset over the fact that Titanfall is having a successful launch. There's even an army of people submitting negative user reviews to Metacritic in an attempt to combat all of the positive reviews it's getting.

You'd think non-Xbox gamers would be able to handle something like this with a little more dignity. You're up next, Sucker Punch. No pressure...

Hypron

Maybe the framerate was stable at 720p.

Definitely not. There's a very small difference between 720p and 79xp. Going down to 720p won't make the game perform at a constant 60 fps when it drops heavily in certain circumstances (even going from 1080p to 720p doesn't guarantee that at all).

There's less difference between the PS4 and the xbox one than between the xbox one and the Wii U. If you put the latter two in the same basket then the PS4 belongs in it as well. It's not that powerful either.

It's Sony's fault that current generation is so underpowered - developers are also complaining about it (TC article) and native 1080p60 standard is seldom reached.

Wiiu wasn't posing a threat, why did Yoshida push 8th gen out so fast? Especially when heavy-hitters like GTAV & GT6 were releasing around new gen launch window.

It's Sony's fault that current generation is so underpowered - developers are also complaining about it (TC article) and native 1080p60 standard is seldom reached.

Wiiu wasn't posing a threat, why did Yoshida push 8th gen out so fast? Especially when heavy-hitters like GTAV & GT6 were releasing around new gen launch window.
What are you talking about?

Since when do videogames have a "standard" resolution, last generation resolutions were all over the place. 1080p30 is the "standard" for this generation and nearly all PS4 games actually hit it.

There's a reason why current gen is "underpowered", Sony gambled on the CELL and they took a massive hit, it was far too expensive and they were losing loads on each console sold. Look at how much stick Microsoft got for $100/£80 more expensive Xbox One, imagine if Sony had gone balls to the wall crazy hardware, people would tear them a new one.

PS4 was pushed out quick to catch Microsoft with its pants round its ankles, it is clear Xbox One was aiming for 2014 launch but Sony's Playstation Meeting in Feb forced Microsoft's hand and it's working out pretty well for Sony so far.

What are you talking about?
792p @ single digit frames per second

PS4 was pushed out quick to catch Microsoft with its pants round its ankles, it is clear Xbox One was aiming for 2014 launch but Sony's Playstation Meeting in Feb forced Microsoft's hand and it's working out pretty well for Sony so far.
Xbox games being 792p is rushjob well done for Sony? KZ:SF 960x1080 says otherwise

Since when do videogames have a "standard" resolution, last generation resolutions were all over the place. 1080p30 is the "standard" for this generation and nearly all PS4 games actually hit it.
60fps has been gameplay standard since 80s

Xbox games being 792p is rushjob well done for Sony? KZ:SF 960x1080 says otherwise
SP Campaign is full 1080p and technically MP is still rendering at 1920x1080 as it is using half of the previous frame to render the current frame.

Off the top of my head the only game that doesn't run 1080p on PS4 is BF4 which runs at 900p. Most games on Xbox One run between 720p and 900p with the odd 1080p exception, just look at Forza 5 with its carboard crowds/trees, simplified lighting, massive amounts of aliasing, etc..

60fps has been gameplay standard since 80s
Why hasn't every game been 60fps since the 80s then?

Videogames don't have a standard resolution, they just have a target resolution.

Dunlop

My word, people are salty tonight.

It's somewhat concerning that people are getting so upset over the fact that Titanfall is having a successful launch. There's even an army of people submitting negative user reviews to Metacritic in an attempt to combat all of the positive reviews it's getting.

You'd think non-Xbox gamers would be able to handle something like this with a little more dignity. You're up next, Sucker Punch. No pressure...
MS exclusive, made by EA. The game is not on a Sony platform or Steam

There was no chance this wouldn't happen.

Watching those twitch feeds is about to make me spend 60 bones and risk running it on my shitty PC. Looks so fun

SP Campaign is full 1080p and technically MP is still rendering at 1920x1080 as it is using half of the previous frame to render the current frame.

Off the top of my head the only game that doesn't run 1080p on PS4 is BF4 which runs at 900p. Most games on Xbox One run between 720p and 900p with the odd 1080p exception, just look at Forza 5 with its carboard crowds/trees, simplified lighting, massive amounts of aliasing, etc..
you are right: PS4 mostly achieves 1080p by sacrificing framerate and F5 was MS PoC that their system can do 1080p60 too when they sacrifice it all. But my original point was that this rushed gen as a whole is too underpowered as stated by devs.

Why hasn't every game been 60fps since the 80s then?.
why have there been games with substandard framerate? eg. arcades had mostly all 60fps games that got really butchered for home consoles because of weak hardware

Videogames don't have a standard resolution, they just have a target resolution.
HDTV native resolution is 1920x1080, that is today's resolution standard (tommorrow's migh be 4K) - if 1080p as a target resolution is too much for devs then, again, weak hardware

Marleyman

Banned

Salty post and so full of hyperbole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom