• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GiantBomb - TitanFall framerate in mech combat is not fixed in Xbox One retail code

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheD

The Detective
I was under the impression the performance hit was with the Titans because of the smoke effects, the alpha transparencies are GPU heavy.

Yep, it looks to happen when there is lots of alpha transparencies on screen (and thus is the domain of the ROPs).

I like how Jeff saying it hit single digits once in his time playing it, when shit got crazy in Last titan standing, equates to a broken game now. It's shit, but it's not exactly common. It happened to me once during the beta too, lasted for maybe 2 seconds and then recovered. 2 seconds out of 10 hours, if the final game is the same, I think I'll survive..

While most of the talk has been about single digit frames per second, I think the more prevalent problem with the X1 Titanfall is screen tearing.

DryvBy

But can you count the X1 9s?

nine-hands-pic.jpg

MrZekToR

Banned
This is a minor and rarely-occurring issue, made worse by the fact that nobody who is flipping out about it even played the beta.

The game does not chug down to 7 FPS anytime there's a few Titans on screen. There are rare hitches that mostly seem to happen when one or more Titans explode in the middle of a tense firefight. And by "rare" I mean that I saw this happen a few times out of probably 100 multiplayer matches.

I agree. I played the beta extensively. Drops in frame rate were VERY occasional. It never became unplayable for me on Xbox One. For the most part it was extremely smooth and very playable.

I think a lot of people on here are just re-iterating what the odd person has witnessed occasionally and treating it as if it happens all the time in every game. That is simply not true.

One thing I will say. This is one of the 'busiest' games I have seen on any system. By busy I mean a lot of action going on, on-screen at any one time. Probably the most 'action' in a game so far this new generation.

Let's not forget - even the PS4 has not delivered a consistent 60fps in ANY of its games thus far.

In fact the closest consistent 60fps seen so far goes to an Xbox One title as far as I can tell - Forza 5.

Iorv3th

I agree. I played the beta extensively. Drops in frame rate were VERY occasional. It never became unplayable for me on Xbox One. For the most part it was extremely smooth and very playable.

I think a lot of people on here are just re-iterating what the odd person has witnessed occasionally and treating it as if it happens all the time in every game. That is simply not true.

One thing I will say. This is one of the 'busiest' games I have seen on any system. By busy I mean a lot of action going on, on-screen at any one time. Probably the most 'action' in a game so far this new generation.

Let's not forget - even the PS4 has not delivered a consistent 60fps in ANY of its games thus far.

In fact the closest consistent 60fps seen so far goes to an Xbox One title as far as I can tell - Forza 5.

Care to elaborate?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Isn't the consensus that with multiple titans on screen at once it is 30 FPS rather than 60?

Hence "not good framerate", which was said in the post I quoted.

If Call of Duty on 360 regularly dropped to 30FPS there would have been riots in the streets because that game lives and breathes off of it's framerate and controls.

Kuro

That salt.

Not good framerate in extreme case exceptions? Keep Up the good fight.

I think its more about how a game running in 792p that looks almost like a last gen game can't run at a stable 60fps during the moments that people were most excited for; titan piloting.

Edit: I was always going to get this for PC so it doesn't affect me. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have an X1 and don't care and that's fine. The game is fun. Just not sure why you're so offended some people aren't happy about the framerate.

What about strider and resogun.

kinggroin

Banned
I said as much in the beta and in the DF analysis. Shit dripped to single digits.

I was laughed at or ignored.

Game still kicks ass.

I like how Jeff saying it hit single digits once in his time playing it, when shit got crazy in Last titan standing, equates to a broken game now. It's shit, but it's not exactly common. It happened to me once during the beta too, lasted for maybe 2 seconds and then recovered. 2 seconds out of 10 hours, if the final game is the same, I think I'll survive..

what about all those times it drops to 30-40 fps and there's frameskipping because of it? What about all the times it drops below 30 fps?
conveniently ignore those

Certainly explains why the player count is so paltry.

hadn't thought of that

the maps always felt empty in the beta and the bots were a really poor substitute to players
if multiple titans make the framerate drop more players probably meant that scenario would happen exponentially much more often

then again why couldn't they just remove the dumb smoke , surely the framerate is worth more than the effects (and while they're at it remove the chromatic abberation, desaturation , static effect and all the other crap that makes it way too hard to see what is going on while in a titan, in a supposedly competitive game you want visibility and good contrast between enemy and background, not visual vomit)

KOHIPEET

Let's put one thing straight. I think Titanfall is a good game, and I don't want to downplay its achievements regarding gameplay. But. I think the most fascinating of this whole resolution debacle are these facts:

-from the very first moments of development, 60 FPS was the top priority
-it was developed for two platforms by Respawn (the X360 version being made by Bluepoint)
-they probably had whatever resource they needed... (extra number of programmers etc..)
-...and they probably always got latest SDKs ahead everyone else (given the importance of the game for MS)

So to simplify. They had a clear performance goal, everything was secondary, they had the abundance of resources (time being the only really questionable one), and yet an important project like this not only didn't manage to achieve steady 60 fps, but also looks dated and runs at a low resolution.

I think this is pretty telling.

Pop

Not the fact that it drops to the single digits but dropping to the 30's and below during Titan battles is terrible. Casuals will notice this and it should be unacceptable.

Vylsith

Banned
If it's a serious enough issue and the 360 version doesn't have framerate drops, then I don't see this pushing Xbox One sales for long.

tfur

Let's put one thing straight. I think Titanfall is a good game, and I don't want to downplay its achievements regarding gameplay. But. I think the most fascinating of this whole resolution debacle are these facts:

-it was developed for two platforms by Respawn (the X360 version being made by Bluepoint)
-they probably had whatever resource they needed... (extra number of programmers etc..)
-...and they probably always got latest SDKs ahead everyone else (given the importance of the game for MS)

So to simplify. They had a clear performance goal, everything was secondary, they had the abundance of resources (time being the only really questionable one), and yet an important project like this not only didn't manage to achieve steady 60 fps, but also looks dated and runs at a low resolution.

The design limitations of the Xbone are going to present themselves until end of life of the product.

It is what it is.

KOHIPEET

Telling of what though?

I think a lot of people are laying this on the XBO, and I really don't think that's the case. This game isn't even vaguely too demanding for the system, something else has gone wrong here.

Well at this point I think it has something to do with either the immature development tools or something to do with, for example Source engine performing horribly on the platform. However I can't help not to think about hardware limits as well.

In the end, it is probably the result of a mix of the above.

Armaros

Not the fact that it drops to the single digits but dropping to the 30's during Titan battles is terrible. Casuals will notice this and it should be unacceptable.

Yup even ignoring if it drops to single digits or not, that fact that it is well known to drop 20-30 fps in big Titan battles is unacceptable.

Especially considering how 'dated' the game looks and how performance was suppose to be the most important thing to Redpawn during development, and all Respawn have to talk about for post release patches is about resolution and not performance?

Hoo-doo

Banned
From the OT it seems that the lagoon map is responsible for a lot of framerate drops as well. Could be some bug rearing it's head.

Guevara

Yes. This is an interesting way to think about it. But why the hell did they go with 792p then?

Telling of what though?

I think a lot of people are laying this on the XBO, and I really don't think that's the case. This game isn't even vaguely too demanding for the system, something else has gone wrong here.

It's gotta be one of three things, and most likely it's a combination of all three: the Xbox One itself, Respawn, or the Xbox One's SDKs.

I don't know that we can give Respawn a complete pass on this, but they're definitely a talented group, so I won't lay all the blame on them. We've heard from devs that the Microsoft SDKs for the X1 are a problem, so that could be a major component. We know the X1 is less powerful than the PS4, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be able to run a game like Titanfall well.

MajorPain

If the game runs as good as the beta I will be happy. The most important thing is the game is a blast to play.

I also own the PS4 and have nothing to play on the system right now tried Killzone and the game just was not fun to play and the 1080p / 60fps they claimed was BS but that didn't even matter if the multiplayer was fun but it's not.

Remember when Thief for PS4 had single digit frame rate before they confirmed its not? Good times.

As bad as this sounds, I'll wait for Digital Foundry or an actual analysis, but I'm sure Giant Bomb isn't as incompetent as that WordPress banned blogger.

KOHIPEET

Yes. This is an interesting way to think about it. But why the hell did they go with 792p then?

Dunno. MS forcing the highest possible framrate maybe? I don't think so, but I can't rule out that possibility either.
Maybe MS wanted Titanfall to be a sword in a battle it never even meant to be participating in?

EDIT: Also this -
As bad as this sounds, I'll wait for Digital Foundry or an actual analysis, but I'm sure Giant Bomb isn't as incompetent as that WordPress banned blogger

Calling one digits without an actual analysis is indeed a bit too much.

Armaros

Remember when Thief for PS4 had single digit frame rate before they confirmed its not? Good times.

As bad as this sounds, I'll wait for Digital Foundry or an actual analysis, but I'm sure Giant Bomb isn't as incompetent as that WordPress banned blogger.

It doesn't even matter about the drops to single digit fps, the fact that one of the major gameplay features, Titans, cause 20-30 fps drops is not acceptable.

This is from "performance is paramount" Respawn.

Papacheeks

Banned
Telling of what though?

I'm calling it, it was pushed to make Launch window.

The game went from trade shows which were showing Pre-alpha builds that were running on PC's. To what they called a closed alpha, to the Beta which I played, then to release.

With the issues they are having sounds like they rushed Optimization, instead of pleading with EA and MS for another couple months to polish everything. ANd maybe use the new features that recently MS was touting in an update to developer's.

The gameplay is awesome and polished, but the assets seems to have optimization issues, when there is a lot going on, mainly titans all on screen and all the effects that encompass.

From what people like Giantbomb were saying about how much is in the game, from issues with servers, to the bad frame rates, sounds like the engine along with MS driver/SKD updates needed more time in the oven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom