• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girls - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaron

Db5do.jpg

znxvB.jpg
KKYgA.jpg

aYW1r.jpg
1S6fZ.jpg

1gXNS.jpg

Hannah is seeing a new guy, but still feels responsible for Adam, her bed-ridden ex, as he recovers from the fateful accident that ended season one. Disappointed at work, the recently single Marnie needs the support of her best friend and former roommate, yet the distance between them seems greater than ever. Jessa returns from her honeymoon, ready to plant new ideas in Hannah's head. Newly experienced, Shoshanna struggles to navigate the challenges of a shaky relationship with Ray.
In addition to Dunham, who stars as Hannah, the cast of GIRLS includes Allison Williams ("American Dreams") as Marnie; Jemima Kirke ("Tiny Furniture") as Jessa; Zosia Mamet ("Mad Men") as Shoshanna; Alex Karpovsky ("Tiny Furniture") as Ray; and Adam Driver ("Lincoln") as Adam.

Guest stars on the second season of GIRLS include Chris Abbott ("Martha Marcy May Marlene") as Marnie's ex, Charlie; Andrew Rannells ("The New Normal") as Hannah's roommate, Elijah; Donald Glover ("Community") as Sandy; Chris O'Dowd ("Bridesmaids") as Jessa's husband, Thomas-John; Rita Wilson ("It's Complicated") as Marnie's mother; and Jorma Taccone ("Saturday Night Live") as artist Booth Jonathan, plus Rosanna Arquette ("Desperately Seeking Susan"), Carol Kane ("Annie Hall"), John Cameron Mitchell ("Hedwig and the Angry Inch") and Patrick Wilson ("Little Children") later in the season
http://www.hbo.com/girls/index.html

Premieres Sunday January 13th at 9, followed by Enlightened.

Season Two trailer #1, 2

Reviews

The Hollywood Reporter/Tim Goodman
Girls remains one of television’s greatest shows, one that seeks to document a specific time and place with specific types, done with unflinching honesty and humor earned from pathos and self-awareness. Here’s to one of television’s bravest, most entertaining lenses on a subculture.

- Andy Greenwald reviews S2 for Grantland

Hannah may still be a work in progress, but Girls no longer is. There's a dazzling confidence on display in these new episodes, matched by considerable craft. The abundance of bad choices being made on-screen shouldn't obscure all the good ones occurring off it. Dunham's writing and acting have improved immeasurably from her Tiny Furniture days, but the real leap forward, to my eyes, is her direction.

- Variety: Girls

Lena Dunham spurred predictable controversy with her election video for President Obama, which is appropriate, since her HBO series "Girls" is almost equally polarizing. There's no doubt the 26-year-old Dunham (who writes, directs and produces, as well as stars) is a formidable talent, though the hubbub surrounding the show's debut had as much to do with demography (Millennials!) and geography (Manhattan!) as merit. Season two finds more of the same, with strong moments surrounded by lots of irritating ones. As a critic, "Girls" is that odd duck that shouldn't be missed, and at times, can barely be watched.

- The Daily Beast: Season 2 of HBO’s Lena Dunham Comedy Soars

Those contradictions fuel the second season of Girls, which manages to be both salty and sweet, a perfect blend of disparate flavors. There’s a sense of aching hurt beneath the surface of the characters, as each grapples with emotional wounds, some imagined and some real. The petty squabbles, minor betrayals, and cutting comments reveal an immaturity to the characters that is realistically ugly yet compelling.

- Bloomberg News: ‘Girls’ Better Than Ever

The second season of Dunham’s comic drama, which chronicles four young women negotiating adulthood, love and Brooklyn, arrives with considerable expectations. Season One was a critical favorite that made instant celebrities of its young cast, especially Dunham, the show’s creator, chief writer and director, not to mention star. Based on the four half-hour episodes available for review, she’s done it again.

- National Post: Girls is back in town — and it’s not making any apologies

If you found yourself not wanting to spend time with these girls the first time around, you aren’t going to be assuaged much by their attitudes in the new episodes. The characters still make bad, impulsive decisions. They can be thoughtless and petty. Another thing Williams related last month: the show aspires to honesty, “and sometimes in an unglamourous way.” That’s about right. These characters are all flawed in their way. Aren’t we all, really?

The Marty girl was a real bore, hopefully much less of her. How did she even get the part? besides being a pretty face, which is in abundance in Hollywood so it still doesn't answer how she got the role

anaron

(through the reliably great Cornballer) Girls Grows Up - HBO's hit comedy is getting better with age

The second most perplexing reaction to the first season of Girls was that it was great. Oh, there were moments of greatness, sure — the crack-smoking, bottle-smashing party in Bushwick; the oddly lyrical surprise wedding; the still-transcendent scene in which Hannah and Marnie close their respective chat windows and dance — but the majority of the first 10 episodes got by largely on potential, not necessarily accomplishment. Growing pains were evident as Dunham learned to widen and adapt her perspective from the big screen to the small; tones were tried, then tossed away like summer dresses at a Greenpoint stoop sale. In this way, Girls mirrored its four heroines: struggling mightily — and entertainingly — to figure itself out before our eyes.

Hannah may still be a work in progress, but Girls no longer is. There's a dazzling confidence on display in these new episodes, matched by considerable craft. The abundance of bad choices being made on-screen shouldn't obscure all the good ones occurring off it. Dunham's writing and acting have improved immeasurably from her Tiny Furniture days, but the real leap forward, to my eyes, is her direction. Sunday's "It's About Time" is artful and considered, using soft, natural light to open the season with a gentle nod to the pilot — Hannah continues to have a thing for snuggling with roommates, no matter who they might be — before busting out the strobe.

This is probably the first review to get me aptly excited because it lays out exactly how I felt about the show in its first season. Flashes of greatness tied up mostly in potential. To hear the show is strongly improved, and confident is awesome.

A few things from the other thread:

- Andy Greenwald reviews S2 for Grantland
Hannah may still be a work in progress, but Girls no longer is. There's a dazzling confidence on display in these new episodes, matched by considerable craft. The abundance of bad choices being made on-screen shouldn't obscure all the good ones occurring off it. Dunham's writing and acting have improved immeasurably from her Tiny Furniture days, but the real leap forward, to my eyes, is her direction.

- Grantland's Hollywood Prospectus Podcast: Girls Co-Showrunner Jenni Konner
Jenni Konner is the woman behind the Girls. As the co-showrunner of the HBO hit, she's the industry Jedi to Lena Dunham's eager padawan. In advance of Sunday's second-season premiere, Konner joined me in a Manhattan studio to discuss her memories of life as a twentysomething in New York City, her experiences working with Judd Apatow (on everything from the late, lamented Undeclared to This Is 40), and all of the things that make Girls great. (Hint: Only some of them involve nudity.)

Long profile article:
- NY Times: Zosia Mamet Is Still Getting Used to Being Your New Best Friend

A few more quick teasers from HBO that use S1 footage:
- Hannah's Resolution
- Adam's Resolution
- Ray's Resolution
- Shoshanna's Resolution
- Jessa's Resolution
- Marnie's Resolution

Quick character recap vids from HBO:
- Marnie
- Jessa
- Hannah
- Shoshanna

GQman2121

Banned
Marnie ( ______ Williams) will be on Letterman tomorrow night I believe. She's easily the worst part of the otherwise excellent program.

giga

Cornballer, do you know who's the music producer for the show? He/she had some really great choices for S1.

Bladenic

The first season was insanely overrated. It wasn't bad but hardly deserving of all it's praise. Will still watch though, maybe it's better this time.

More reviews:

- Variety: Girls
Lena Dunham spurred predictable controversy with her election video for President Obama, which is appropriate, since her HBO series "Girls" is almost equally polarizing. There's no doubt the 26-year-old Dunham (who writes, directs and produces, as well as stars) is a formidable talent, though the hubbub surrounding the show's debut had as much to do with demography (Millennials!) and geography (Manhattan!) as merit. Season two finds more of the same, with strong moments surrounded by lots of irritating ones. As a critic, "Girls" is that odd duck that shouldn't be missed, and at times, can barely be watched.
- The Daily Beast: Season 2 of HBO’s Lena Dunham Comedy Soars
Those contradictions fuel the second season of Girls, which manages to be both salty and sweet, a perfect blend of disparate flavors. There’s a sense of aching hurt beneath the surface of the characters, as each grapples with emotional wounds, some imagined and some real. The petty squabbles, minor betrayals, and cutting comments reveal an immaturity to the characters that is realistically ugly yet compelling.
- Bloomberg News: ‘Girls’ Better Than Ever
The second season of Dunham’s comic drama, which chronicles four young women negotiating adulthood, love and Brooklyn, arrives with considerable expectations. Season One was a critical favorite that made instant celebrities of its young cast, especially Dunham, the show’s creator, chief writer and director, not to mention star. Based on the four half-hour episodes available for review, she’s done it again.
- National Post: Girls is back in town — and it’s not making any apologies
If you found yourself not wanting to spend time with these girls the first time around, you aren’t going to be assuaged much by their attitudes in the new episodes. The characters still make bad, impulsive decisions. They can be thoughtless and petty. Another thing Williams related last month: the show aspires to honesty, “and sometimes in an unglamourous way.” That’s about right. These characters are all flawed in their way. Aren’t we all, really?

- Lena Dunham interview on Today: 'If You Hated What We Were Doing Last Season, You're Going To Hate It Even More'

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I liked the first season. Curious enough about this one to watch it.

Marnie's resolution doesn't mean she'll do topless scenes, does it?

- Matt Zoller Seitz: Girls Season Two: What a Drag It Is Being Young
I have that thought every time I watch Girls, as much as I adore it. Girls isn’t likable — certainly not in a Hollywood rom-com way — and it doesn’t seem to lose any sleep over it. It’s telling the truth as it sees it, showing empathy but no mercy. This isn’t a warm-fuzzy show. The characters are screwed-up, immature, and thoughtless. Hannah, her friends, and her lovers are obnoxiously self-centered. (“Do these people even like each other?” asked the Guardian.) They have to remind themselves that other people exist, and when they do reach out, there’s often a whiff of performance to it: Here I am, caring. Say nice things about me, won’t you?

- Maureen Ryan: Hannah And Friends Are Going To Extremes
Two things become clear early in Season 2, one of which doesn't have anything to do with the tidal wave of scrutiny that "Girls," Lena Dunham and her on-screen alter-ego, Hannah Horvath, have been subjected to. First of all, while she's a talented, original and bold artist, Dunham is not yet in full control of all of her storytelling skills, and she's got a ways to go when it comes to consistently mastering nuance and tone (this was also an issue in Season 1, which I generally loved, but wasn't perfect). Second, she's clearly trying to address some of the controversies that arose during the first season, and while that's both understandable and laudable, the results are iffy.

- NYT: Lena Dunham’s ‘Girls’ Returns to HBO
The first episode is a little slow, but the next three are as irreverent, funny and hard edged as any in the first season. There are some adjustments for success, including cameo roles for celebrities like Rita Wilson. But the seditious, satirical spirit is intact.
- Boston Globe: ‘Girls’: Painfully good
I don’t think I’ve come across a character like Lena Dunham’s Hannah Horvath on TV before. She doesn’t easily fit into the young-single-women molds that TV writers have shaped over the past few decades — the coiffed ditzes of “Friends,” the frank, swank ladies of “Sex and the City,” Mary Tyler Moore’s lovable professional. For that reason alone, for the rare act of breaking off from the familiar, I’m inclined to love HBO’s “Girls,” which returns in great form for season 2 on Sunday night at 9.
- Boston Globe: ‘Girls’ not for this girl
The first few episodes of the second season, which begins Sunday on HBO, feel more engrossing. All four women, through their own choice or outside circumstance, are thrown into transitions and conflicts that feel deeper and funnier than in the first season. Perhaps, it’s just because we know them better now.
- SF Chronicle: 'Girls' and 'Enlightened' reviews: Daring, doubt
The entire constellation of impetuous, ambitious, determined and insecure young urbanites in "Girls" is realigning in the new season, but at no point in the four episodes sent to critics for review do you feel that any of it is artificial. In a lesser show, second-season breakups and hookups often feel inauthentic. Not so with "Girls": What happens to Hannah and her circle is always credibly rooted in their characters.
- Salon.com: “Girls”: Hannah Horvath no longer cares what you think
“Girls” has matured leaps and bounds, comedically and structurally, but it has jettisoned some of its ambiguity, its sweetness, its own affection for its characters. It’s more coherent, but it’s also safer.

KingKong

I watched season 1 and I don't know, it just wasn't good. I couldn't tell if I was supposed to laugh at the scenes or take them seriously, I think it was supposed to be serious but is the scene between Hannah and Adam after the wedding any deeper and more insightful than the guy wanting the threesome (which was clearly meant to be a joke)?

It was still pretty funny and interesting enough to watch and I'll check out season 2, but when I read a review when someone writes about how these characters matured or changed or really expressed something real, I have to wonder

LOL

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/howard-stern-calls-lena-dunham-little-fat-girl-160000064-us-weekly.html

"It's a little fat girl who kinda looks like Jonah Hill and she keeps taking her clothes off and it kind of feels like rape. She seems -- it's like -- I don't want to see that," Stern chuckled on-air, explaining how he'd recently been clued into the show by wife Beth Ostrosky. "I learned that this little fat chick writes the show and directs the show and that makes sense to me because she's such a camera hog that the other characters barely are on."

"My opinion, if I was a producer on that, I'd say, 'Honey, you're a little too close to the project. You need to allow the other characters to breathe a little and let us get invested in them,'" he continued, adding the backhanded compliment: "Good for her. It's hard for little fat chicks to get anything going."

Great show. Really caught me off guard, I was surprised in the quality of season 1 and I'll definitely be tuning in for season 2. Also, I want to fuck the entire cast. GIRL POWER

wtf. I like sterns show but thats really stupid of him
Same here, everyone loves Stern interviews. It's classic Howie though, dude tears into stuff constantly, it's one of his trademarks. Of course Lena Dunham doesn't look like Jonah Hill, she's a few pounds overweight. It helps the show feel more real if anything.

anaron

Eh, being a fan of Stern I'm certainly not surprised by his comments but it's really disappointing to see body shaming reinforced this way, especially in certain other media pieces I've seen of the show lately. It's completely juvenile and lame and just makes me appreciate even more that Dunham does put herself out there like that.

barrbarr

I started watching the first season of this show one day with a friend of mine. We ended up going through the entire series in a day. Love the show, can't wait for the next season.

dbztrk

The Marty girl was a real bore, hopefully much less of her. How did she even get the part? besides being a pretty face, which is in abundance in Hollywood so it still doesn't answer how she got the role

She's the daughter of the news anchor Brian Williams.

Season premiere tonight:
It's About Time

Hannah throws a housewarming party; Marnie gets some bad news at work and a visit from her mother; Shoshanna avoids Ray; Jessa returns from her honeymoon.

Danielsan

I enjoyed the previous season, mostly due to Adam (whom I hated at first). I just hope Dunham stops writing nude scenes for herself. There's only so much of her I can stomach.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Last night I dreamed that season 2 of Girls was a noir thriller. Hannah had a gun and was walking down shadowy rain soaked streets looking for someone to kill.

Anyway, I'm excited for tonight and I hope Enlightened gets a boost in viewers.

Messi

I enjoyed the previous season, mostly due to Adam (whom I hated at first). I just hope Dunham stops writing nude scenes for herself. There's only so much of her I can stomach.

I find it refreshing. I also read somewhere the others refused nudity. Allison Williams at the very least

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom