• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girls - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroX03

Banned
Well you see I thought a Marnie solo episode was going to suck, but when the only other two characters are Charlie and Desi she's kind of the best by default.

Having Allison Williams play such an annoying character must suck, because she really seems by far the nicest of the cast IRL from podcasts.

also that Fall Out Boy reference

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Cannot believe that they did a solo Marnie episode and I liked it

I think last night's episode was one of the best in the whole series. Marnie is probably my least favorite character as well, so that's really something. Terrific writing.

I still don't care about Marnie. She is just the worst but yesterday's episode was pretty good and I was happy she finally made the right decision. Maybe this is the start of a less infuriating marnie.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
what made me laugh is the fact that marnie just let her self into hannahs apartment and got into bed with them and neither of them could be bothered to even look up and see who it was
how lazy can you be

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Marnie is lame, but Desi is a million times more annoying. I wouldn't wish him on my worst enemy.
They're pretty similar to each other, in that sense they're a perfect couple.

I don't know how the hell that relationship ends before the Hannah/Fran one which has so little chemistry and makes so little sense that the show yadda yadda yadda'd over its development.

Staab

I really can't stand Marnie but that wasn't too bad, glad Desi's gone, couldn't bear him either...

Music has been so goddamn good these past couple of episodes (and in general), damn !

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I remember the actor who plays Charlie didn't like the direction his character was headed and that's why he left the show. ...so what could that storyline possibly have been if this is what he came back to do?

I remember the actor who plays Charlie didn't like the direction his character was headed and that's why he left the show. ...so what could that storyline possibly have been if this is what he came back to do?

Andy Greenwald and Chris Ryan's latest Watch podcast goes into a bit of depth on this. Apparently it was a big falling out, like literally he burned lots of bridges doing it. They were really surprised he was back even for one episode.

Blackhead

Redarse
Andy Greenwald and Chris Ryan's latest Watch podcast goes into a bit of depth on this. Apparently it was a big falling out, like literally he burned lots of bridges doing it. They were really surprised he was back even for one episode.
So he didn't like the direction of his character as a smart potentially rich tech entrepreneur and then he ends up having to come back for an episode as a broke heroin addicted con artist? Lmao.
Actually the only other role I can recall seeing him in was as an addict in Enlightened

So... What are the odds Marni bears any consequences for this fever dream of an episode? Did they use a condom?

So he didn't like the direction of his character as a smart potentially rich tech entrepreneur and then he ends up having to come back for an episode as a broke heroin addicted con artist? Lmao.
Actually the only other role I can recall seeing him in was as an addict in Enlightened

So... What are the odds Marni bears any consequences for this fever dream of an episode? Did they use a condom?

I dunno, they're gonna do a Marnie wallowing in self pity arc going by the series so far. Dunno if they'll do something like she got an STD as that would be kinda overkill

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

A broke heroin addict con artist Charlie is a far more interesting character than the Charlie of the first two seasons.

Blackhead

Redarse
I dunno, they're gonna do a Marnie wallowing in self pity arc going by the series so far. Dunno if they'll do something like she got an STD as that would be kinda overkill

Judging from the way she dissed then dumped Desi I'm hoping she isn't going to do self pity. Yeah an STD or even pregnancy would be overkill. On the other hand though, have we even seen a young pretty female white character on a high profile show be diagnosed with HIV? I wouldn't wish it on a nicer character than Marni

Matt_

a hiv story could actually be really interesting

Yeah actually thinking, Marnie kinda seemed okay after the marriage breakup. I dunno if this show would go down that route, it kinda skirts the line between Drama/Comedy, adding something like that would upset that balance. Though if anyone would do it, Lena would.

Matt_

looking had a decent hiv character that wasn't overly morbid
though obviously it would take marnie a long time to reach a similar point

TVexperto

Do you have a link or something or an article? I enjoy reading behind the scenes stuff, I stopped watching after season 2 but his character was one of my favs and I was sad that he was written out so fast

dbztrk

I forgot how hot Charlie is. Too bad about the drugs thing. I would not be upset at all if Marnie got HIV. However, I don't think that the writing for Girls would be conducive to such a serious topic.

I forgot how hot Charlie is. Too bad about the drugs thing. I would not be upset at all if Marnie got HIV. However, I don't think that the writing for Girls would be conducive to such a serious topic.

given how they dealt with OCD throughout the series I'd have to agree with you.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man

Enlightened, that still hurts. ;_;

I always imagined that he was actually the same character in both. :p

Nothing of consequence has ever really happened because of sex in this show has it? Maybe she'll end up having an abortion.

Another great episode tonight. I loved the use of the play as a backdrop to the events unfolding. This is certainly the most ambitious season of Girls yet IMO.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
For the tenth time, why the fuck is Fran putting up with this? This relationship never made a lick of sense in the first place, but I can't fathom why he's still dealing with Hannah.

And seriously, how has she not been fired yet? Besides stupidly contrived reasons by the writing staff.

This episode needed a twist, where the screaming from the play was used by someone to mask the sounds of murdering Hannah.

Re: Abortion, didn't the show cover it last season when Adam's girlfriend at the time got an abortion (she implied she had several before) and took it as no big deal whereas Adam freaked out about it.

Also are Marnie and Desi back together?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That play was kind of awesome. What a neat idea. Do they really have things like that in real life or was it just made up for the show? Either way, it was cool.

But yeah, that was a great episode. It was probably the funniest of the season, and yet it also had several emotionally resonant moments as well.

Matt_

How can they call an episode Hello Kitty and not go to Japan

I fucking choked when hannah decided to go all basic instinct

I can see the complaints about fran and hannah. I just think it comes down to the fact we only ever seem to see them fight yet most other couples we see a lot of the romance

Tsukumo

Caught with the new episodes in the last two days for a sweet two-days marathon.
I really like the darker tone the show has now, glad the humour hasn't completely vanished. The episodes now have more of a HBO feel. Not that they needed to be more serious, but the screenplay definitely works.
Overall
- Desi and Marnie's divorce should have been handled better. Marriage and divorce in the same season? bleargh.
- Can't stand characters in a tv show cross-breeding between each other. Adam and Jessa are great characters but it's sad they had to put them together instead of letting them focus on their own thing like everyone else. Ray and Marnie was IMO very on-point and consistent with the characters and who they are.
- Shosh episode was heartbreaking.
- Wow, Charlie :D Just saw Jack White and he's great in it. Shitty movie though. Like REALLY shitty.
Also, when I saw where Charlie was hanging with his friends I immediately thought "here comes Booth Jonathan". (OMG Taccone is 40!)
- Marnie is too skinny.
- The episode at the spa was really sad also. In a good way (?).
- Elijah and Yellowjacket love story was really cool. Thumbs up for the sex scene. It's probably as far as Seven Feet Under since I've seen gay couples described like this.
- Really don't understand what's up with Hannah shortening her hair each season.

That play was kind of awesome. What a neat idea. Do they really have things like that in real life or was it just made up for the show? Either way, it was cool.

But yeah, that was a great episode. It was probably the funniest of the season, and yet it also had several emotionally resonant moments as well.

Ha, yeah there are really plays like that.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
- Desi and Marnie's divorce should have been handled better. Marriage and divorce in the same season? bleargh.

They did the same thing with Jessa's marriage in, was it season 3?

Ha, yeah there are really plays like that.

Sleep No More

This is one of the more famous, constantly running productions I've heard of. It's supposed to be really awesome.

Oh wow, that's awesome! I need to get myself to New York...

Ovid

Alright, Episode 4 was good.

That's what hate about this show, some episodes are just awful and then others are pretty solid.

Dereck

RSDq27D.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom