• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girls - Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twio

Urgh, so many unanswered questions in the finale. This ep was a bit underwhelming but the season as a whole was the best one yet.

Sanjuro

*shrug* Just don't get the show.

I would say this season might be the worst due to it being inconsistent, but I liked the subplots and made it feel like a new environment a bit.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Marnie creepy stalker mode activated

She reminded me of

tumblr_lu5ozrz5yP1qztqsao1_500.gif

Overall, I enjoyed this season. It really made me hate Marnie and Hannah even more.

Bladenic

Wow, what a finale. Loved every moment of it. Really glad I stuck with the show after the horrid (IMO) S2. S3 was far superior, and I'm honestly super excited for S4.

The Shosh/Ray scene was my favorite. I firmly believe Zosia Mamet is the best female actress on the show, and I really hope (as I do every year lol) that Lena sees fit to give her (and by extension Jessa too) more to do so the show becomes more of a true ensemble. I wish we could have seen the supposed talk between Shosh and Marnie.

Also Natalie Morales is awesome and I need her to get a starring role or something.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Shosh didn't know she was failing a class? That's right up there with Hannah not knowing her work rate.

This episode: people sharing news to others at the most ill-conceived moments imaginable.

It was actually a really strong episode, but fuck these characters are willfully stupid.

I liked about half of this season and was either annoyed or horrified at the other half. I don't get all of the S2 hate around here as I still think it's superior, but S3 ended fairly strongly so it's much closer to S2 than I would have thought a month ago. But nothing is as remotely brilliant this season as the Patrick Wilson episode.

As much as the show should be about the girls, they are either such self-centered, spoiled brats (Hannah, Marnie) or are so underdeveloped (Jessa, Shoshanna) that the show completely depends upon the two male co-leads (plus Elijah to a lesser extent) to balance it all out and make the show watchable. I have no clue where the show is going, but it needs the guys to remain relevant. I wonder if Lena and Jenni know what a disservice they are doing to the female characters and actresses each week...

I really felt for Adam tonight and was not surprised one bit that Hannah told him
when she did. He's much better to her than she's ever thought about being to him. Marine was as hot (good lord that dress) and annoying (guess who I just kissed???). Both Shoshanna and Jessa had pretty damn emotional character arcs in the end, with me feeling much more for them than I did for Hannah or Marnie. I loved Ray's balls and Elijah just killed it the last two episodes.

And damn does Lena do a great job with the music. These past two episodes were especially well-done.

turnbuckle

Excellent finale. Really looking forward to the next season. Although I liked season 2, this one was much better. I was hoping for some Ray and Adam scenes but loved what we got anyways.

Rookje

I laughed at the "Call 9/11, I don't want to die!" part. I knew that was gonna happen.

Adam is right to be tired of Hannah's shit. He puts up with a lot.

GQman2121

Banned
The inside the episodes are odd because it really seems like Dunham is either oblivious that most viewers want to see her character fail or she's so far up her own ass that she believes Hannah's behavior is normal. It's probably a combination of the two.

Ideally, next season Hannah is written off the show and they focus on Ray, Adam and Shoshanna in the city. They'll occasionally visit Jessa at Rikers and Marnie's grave site in Jersey.

The Hamptons and Hannah's grandmother were the season's only enjoyable episodes for me. Everything else was drivel.

My god, will Hannah ever realize her self centeredness? Did she really think that was a good idea to tell adam thay news before his opening night?

I think the marnie plot can be well done be I'm not sure I trust Lena to do it. I'm afraid she'll just rehash the Marnie gets obsessed about another guy plot that made charlie leave the show. I'd love it if she just realizes she's just infatuated and wrecking a couple for her own sake.

Shosh is the best character and I hope they focus more on her and ray.

I don't like junkie jessa but I did like her in this episode because it gave a humanity that had been missing in her sociopathic charicature this season.

Elijah remains the best character and the best part of the episode was the reveal he was wearing shorts, especially after the blazer comment to Ray.

I laughed at the "Call 9/11, I don't want to die!" part. I knew that was gonna happen.
That was horrifying and really well acted.

The inside the episodes are odd because it really seems like Dunham is either oblivious that most viewers want to see her character fail or she's so far up her own ass that she believes Hannah's behavior is normal. It's probably a combination of the two.

I dated a girl who was a lot like Hannah and to an extent Dunham herself. She got a few articles published during college writing "edgy" material that was "her voice" and worked for an alt-press paper in Seattle after college. She thought just because she got a few things published in the outer fringes of the print materials she was the best thing ever. Granted Dunham is far more successful than this girl, who is now a waitress in New Orleans and not even writing as far as I know, but they were very much on the same wavelength when it came to a lot of things. I have flashbacks to things she did and stuff we talked about during the show and when Duham herself is being interviewed.

inm8num2

Pretty good finale, but I have to say this episode more or less cemented my general lack of caring for the main characters, particularly Marnie.

I don't know if that's the intent or what, but the show is more of an interesting array of unlikable characters I don't care much about versus something in which I'm invested into their well being. I don't hate them or anything, but I'm probably an asshole.

Oh well. Bring on Darth Driver.

Blackhead

Redarse
As much as the show should be about the girls, they are either such self-centered, spoiled brats (Hannah, Marnie) or are so underdeveloped (Jessa, Shoshanna) that the show completely depends upon the two male co-leads (plus Elijah to a lesser extent) to balance it all out and make the show watchable. I have no clue where the show is going, but it needs the guys to remain relevant. I wonder if Lena and Jenni know what a disservice they are doing to the female characters and actresses each week...
wow *smh* I really have no idea what show you're watching. Adam is just as self centered and a spoiled brat as any of the females (and Jessa and Shosh are more developed than Elijah so that comparison makes no sense).

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Yeah, Adam is just a selfish as Hannah is. Admittedly she shouldn't have told him just before he went on but its not like she has ever been good with her timing, and when you're excited timing isn't always on point.
Marnie remains an absolute clueless twat. I was fully expecting shosh to turn around and slap her because lord knows she deserved it. I'm also quite surprised Marnie didn't till thingy's girlfriend (I forget both their names, Sam maybe?) that he kissed her in an attempt to break them up.
Jessa's story was quite touching although I wish they gave it another episode to develop. Going straight from Will you work for me to Will you kill me was a little jarring even though the scenes they were in were nicely done.

Regarding next series I'd be happy for Hannah and Adam to break up and for Hannah to go to Iowa. My biggest fear would be something like what happened with Glee where one location was miles better than the other. I could see something like Shosh going out with her or maybe Elijah as he's becoming a regular. Either way I can't see Hannah turning down such an amazing position, even if it comes to her only going for a few terms then dropping out because she can't cope

OjjKkPp.png

I just ruined my relationship, and compromised my boyfriend's big break...but oh golly I got in to grad school!

:lol

People were complaining at the end of last season that a man was the key to Hannah's, well, everything (in an outright rom-com-y montage). Now, she's actually doing the mature thing and is taking a reasonable shot at a professional career in her chosen field, and still with the complaints?

Quitting the Esquire gig fit with how stupid this character can be, but rejecting this opportunity for the sake of comfort would be outlandish, even for Hannah. (Not to say that it will work out necessarily.)

The show has a habit of doing episodes where Hannah is isolated from the rest of the cast already, so the idea of having her out in Iowa with her own storylines while calling the rest of the cast and visiting every few episodes could work. It would mean giving the rest of the cast more of their own storylines and screentime increasing for those storylines, which is actually something the show has needed to do all season, so if they took that idea on as a challenge and opportunity to really round out the cast of characters, I think it could be great. It's also centralised Adam so much by this point that I can't ever see him not being a part of the show beyond them making some bold creative choice to exclude him. I don't think they'd manage without him right now, though. It looks like Adam Driver is gonna be pretty dang busy in the next year or two though!!!

Anyway, I enjoyed this season. It's transitioning from people who are in their early 20's and flailing, to people who are are at least trying to get their lives together. Ray is older but has gone through a similar arc. Shosh, Marnie and Jessa seem way behind Adam and Hannah in that regard.

That's been cool to watch. It's also disengaged me a little emotionally because I feel like the characters are beginning to surpass me in terms of how I can identify with them personally, which is one of the main things I've enjoyed about the show. It has felt a little unearned at points because their successes, like Adam's becoming a real actor, came pretty much out of nowhere, but maybe that's how growing up and finding your line works. I wouldn't know since I haven't gotten there yet. It does make me want to chase that harder, which I've got no choice to do because I'm graduating, unless I pull a Shoshana, in a couple of months.

Pretty good season.

gdt

It was a great finale and another good season for this show.

I imagine there will be a time jump. With her coming back after she's done...

Marnie’s Life Plans: Can the next out-of-New-York episode involve Marnie having to go to a college reunion and get absolutely destroyed? Please?
HAHAHAHA

Hannah’s Parents’ Life Savings: I badly want to get Mr. and Mrs. Horvath a financial counselor. I am worried about the cost of Iowa.
I was thinking the same thing. They're throwing money with Hannah not doing anything

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

Yea or like a sped up version of events in Iowa and right back into New York. I can't begin to imagine how horrible it would be to have a full season dedicated to Hannah being horrible in Iowa with people she wouldn't have contact with at all as soon as she got back to Nee York. I doubt the other girls would get as much screen time if that were the case. Probably as much as they got this season. If not less if the cast were to grow for the Iowa storyline.

Huh, I didn't consider the time jump option! Might be even more alienating though, for characters like Ray who we haven't seen all season or Jessa who we just left in the middle of something. It might work to do a time jump a few episode into the season, though.

OjjKkPp.png

I just ruined my relationship, and compromised my boyfriend's big break...but oh golly I got in to grad school!

This fits Hannah's character: too self absorbed and selfish that she has to destroy others in order to be happier about her own accomplishments.

I'm hoping that we don't get to see any of Iowa. Hannah only episodes really suck the life out the show. Also, way out of left field for Dunham to write in a convenient "I'm going to Grad School" plot line. We, the audience, were never given any indication that Hannah had an interest in grad school.

This fits Hannah's character: too self absorbed and selfish that she has to destroy others in order to be happier about her own accomplishments.

I'm hoping that we don't get to see any of Iowa. Hannah only episodes really suck the life out the show. Also, way out of left field for Dunham to write in a convenient "I'm going to Grad School" plot line. We, the audience, were never given any indication that Hannah had an interest in grad school.

There's actually a line in the season premier where she mentions applying to grad school every year and never getting in. Kind of weak foreshadowing, but it's there.

I thought the finale was fine, although Hannah getting into the most prestigious MFA program in the country seems really unrealistic from what we know about Hannah and her writing habits.

Shosh is definitely my favorite character and I thought Zosia Mamet was fantastic in all of her scenes in the finale. I really hope we see more of her in season four.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
People are insane. So Hannah can't come home after a rough fight and find her own happiness in her achievement? Goddamn.
The show goes out of its way to show how much of a bitch she is. Like the throwaway shot of her sleeping through Adam's performance.

...Marnie's going to attempt to have sex with Adam at some point next season isn't she.

Isn't that how she "relates" to people now? Via sex?

The show goes out of its way to show how much of a bitch she is. Like the throwaway shot of her sleeping through Adam's performance.

That was a great shot to see Hannah snoring through the play when a couple minutes ago we saw her all excited and literally ruining Adam's concentration.

Blackhead

Redarse

She didn't sleep through Adam's performance -- she slept up to Adam's performance and then was woken up by Elijah. She stayed awake for the rest of the show for him

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Decent finale to a pretty good season. I am disappointed by how little screen time Jessa and Shoshanna received this season though, especially after Jessa was sidelined last season due to Kirke's real life pregnancy.

Ideally, next season Hannah is written off the show and they focus on Ray, Adam and Shoshanna in the city. They'll occasionally visit Jessa at Rikers and Marnie's grave site in Jersey.

lol

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Decent finale to a pretty good season. I am disappointed by how little screen time Jessa and Shoshanna received this season though, especially after Jessa was sidelined last season due to Kirke's real life pregnancy.

lol
As someone who's only seen up to season 2 this sounds terrible. I really figured that would have changed. Hopefully they figured out how to make me interested in Marnie.

People are insane. So Hannah can't come home after a rough fight and find her own happiness in her achievement? Goddamn.

And the reason for the fight? Because Hannah is so selfish that she decided to wait until right before one of the most important things that Adam has ever done, to tell him that she is going to move away. Hannah is right to be happy, but she doesn't have to shit on other people in the process.

And for clarification, when I criticise Hannah, I'm not criticising Lena or the show. Lena has obviously written her that way. She's a love to hate character, like Joffrey from GoT.

Yado

And the reason for the fight? Because Hannah is so selfish that she decided to wait until right before one of the most important things that Adam has ever done, to tell him that she is going to move away. Hannah is right to be happy, but she doesn't have to shit on other people in the process.

And for clarification, when I criticise Hannah, I'm not criticising Lena or the show. Lena has obviously written her that way. She's a love to hate character, like Joffrey from GoT.

She wasn't shitting on him, she was sharing good news (for her at least). Almost all of Adam's emotional responses are inappropriate.

She wasn't shitting on him, she was sharing good news (for her at least). Almost all of Adam's emotional responses are inappropriate.

Do you really believe an 'inappropriate' response, is to be nervous during your big acting break on Broadway, because the love of your life is moving half way across the country? And to lash out because she dropped this bombshell right before you went on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom