• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girls - Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
She wasn't shitting on him, she was sharing good news (for her at least). Almost all of Adam's emotional responses are inappropriate.

She tells him before his big moment infront of 100s of people she's going be leaving to go to school 1000 miles away. She's selfish because Adam's behavior the last couple of weeks show he doesn't want distractions and she ignores that because she needs to tell people about her big accomplishment. Why couldn't it wait?

Elijah stole the episode. Frickin hilarious! Gotta say, this is the strongest season finale this show has had, and I'm actually pretty hyped for next season.

Blackhead

Redarse
Elijah stole the episode. Frickin hilarious! Gotta say, this is the strongest season finale this show has had, and I'm actually pretty hyped for next season.
Haha, yes!! Those suit shorts slayed me
She tells him before his big moment infront of 100s of people she's going be leaving to go to school 1000 miles away. She's selfish because Adam's behavior the last couple of weeks show he doesn't want distractions and she ignores that because she needs to tell people about her big accomplishment. Why couldn't it wait?

Do you really believe an 'inappropriate' response, is to be nervous during your big acting break on Broadway, because the love of your life is moving half way across the country? And to lash out because she dropped this bombshell right before you went on?

Ok Hannah does tend to make everything about her but there wasn't any malicious motive about what she did. She started off her little speech praising Adam and he responded well to that -- dropping the accent, saying he loves her -- and the rest was an affirmation of all Adam had been saying throughout the season about pursuing one's dreams and what not. Basically Hannah was accepting the choices that Adam had made earlier and choosing to follow them as well. Right before his big event she's bolstering his ego and telling him that he's right for this and has been right all along. Everyone else had been ecstatic about her news, why would she she suspect Adam would take it entirely the wrong way? Adam's reaction is 'inappropriate' because he's suggesting that she doesn't get to make the same hard decisions that he does (never mind that Hannah is not even talking about dumping him, she's willing to do long distance). He's using the timing as an excuse to lash out even though nobody but him thinks it affected his acting performance. Again, yes, Hannah always interprets as about her but on the flipside so does Adam.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
As someone who's only seen up to season 2 this sounds terrible. I really figured that would have changed. Hopefully they figured out how to make me interested in Marnie.

Yeah, its really disappointing. I go into every season hoping for more Jessa and Shoshanna and I always end up disappointed. I don't know why those two are always so under served.

Ok Hannah does tend to make everything about her but there wasn't any malicious motive about what she did. She started off her little speech praising Adam and he responded well to that -- dropping the accent, saying he loves her -- and the rest was an affirmation of all Adam had been saying throughout the season about pursuing one's dreams and what not. Basically Hannah was accepting the choices that Adam had made earlier and choosing to follow them as well. Right before his big event she's bolstering his ego and telling him that he's right for this and has been right all along. Everyone else had been ecstatic about her news, why would she she suspect Adam would take it entirely the wrong way? Adam's reaction is 'inappropriate' because he's suggesting that she doesn't get to make the same hard decisions that he does (never mind that Hannah is not even talking about dumping him, she's willing to do long distance). He's using the timing as an excuse to lash out even though nobody but him thinks it affected his acting performance. Again, yes, Hannah always interprets as about her but on the flipside so does Adam.

Its just seems childish, there was no need to say it then. It was adam's time. They easily could have celebrated her success later.

I do think Adam has his issue of never saying anything and expecting hannah to read his mind but in that case I think she's in the fault.

Blackhead

Redarse
Its just seems childish, there was no need to say it then. It was adam's time. They easily could have celebrated her success later.

I do think Adam has his issue of never saying anything and expecting hannah to read his mind but in that case I think she's in the fault.

She wasn't celebrating her success! She was trying to celebrate Adam's. Kinda like how when presenting an award to someone you might talk about how his/her achievements inspired you etc Yes it's a bit childish that that's the only way for Hannah to celebrate Adam but he should be used to it by now. His issue is that she's moving out of state and that shouldn't be an issue

Blackhead

Redarse
Wouldn't you be upset if your girlfriend moved out of state?

If my girlfriend told me she was just [accepted into a top tier grad school, won a million dollars, got a job at Google/Apple etc] but to claim it she has to move out of state for a while, I'd be ecstatic for her.

If my fuck buddy/booty call told me the same thing, I'd be upset :p

Hannah is certainly a messy selfish character, but I'm obviously not seeing quite the same malign incompetent entity that others here do.

I was thinking the same thing. They're throwing money with Hannah not doing anything

Iowa is a funded grad program. Her parents wouldn't have to pay anything.

I thought the finale was fine, although Hannah getting into the most prestigious MFA program in the country seems really unrealistic from what we know about Hannah and her writing habits.

Someone capable of getting a book deal also getting into an MFA program is unrealistic?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
If my girlfriend told me she was just [accepted into a top tier grad school, won a million dollars, got a job at Google/Apple etc] but to claim it she has to move out of state for a while, I'd be ecstatic for her.

If my fuck buddy/booty call told me the same thing, I'd be upset :p

I'd be happy for her too, but at the same time I'd be upset and depressed that she'd be moving away. Long distance relationships rarely work out, so she's basically telling him "We'll still be together for a while but then we'll slowly grow apart and I'll eventually find someone else". An SO moving away for a great opportunity is both shitty and great at the same time.

Many people wouldn't react the same. I mean they'd be happy for the person but there would be the problem that they wont be together and able to see one another. Not a lot of people really want to do a long distance thing.

She wasn't celebrating her success! She was trying to celebrate Adam's. Kinda like how when presenting an award to someone you might talk about how his/her achievements inspired you etc Yes it's a bit childish that that's the only way for Hannah to celebrate Adam but he should be used to it by now. His issue is that she's moving out of state and that shouldn't be an issue

Celebrating Adams success by mentioning her own just seems narcissistic. Hannah's character has always been self-centered so I see it through that lens rather than giving her the benefit of the doubt. I don't think she was trying to be self-centered she just doesn't realize when she is. And yeah Adam should be used to it but Hannah should be used to Adam's reactions too :p

Hannah is certainly a messy selfish character, but I'm obviously not seeing quite the same malign incompetent entity that others here do.

I don't think she's as bad as others sometimes discribe her but that scene just stood out. I was getting a cringe because I knew what she was gonna do and what the reaction was gonna be.

The most disappointing part of the season to me was the way Hannah left GQ. When she got the job she had that whole "this is beneath me" attitude but got smacked down. It was disappointing that she pretty much did the same thing again. It just felt as if the character didn't grow or learn anything. The plot felt pointless because of that.

I'm hoping season 4 develops Hannah and Elijah more. They seem to have the best friendship in the show (I still don't understand why half of these girls are still friends with each other, I get that college makes strange bedfellows but they tend to break apart after.) and I think things like his behavior during the interview with the Broadway star give Hannah a taste of how she comes off to other people. There's something their for Hannah to learn from.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'd be happy for her too, but at the same time I'd be upset and depressed that she'd be moving away. Long distance relationships rarely work out, so she's basically telling him "We'll still be together for a while but then we'll slowly grow apart and I'll eventually find someone else". An SO moving away for a great opportunity is both shitty and great at the same time.

Many people wouldn't react the same. I mean they'd be happy for the person but there would be the problem that they wont be together and able to see one another. Not a lot of people really want to do a long distance thing.

Of course many people wouldn't act the same way but then Adam lost that position when he chose a separation so he could 'focus' a bit on his Broadway career.

Of course many people wouldn't act the same way but then Adam lost that position when he chose a separation so he could 'focus' a bit on his Broadway career.

I kinda of understand where you're coming from but I think moving a few blocks to prepare for a role is a bit different than a year or more 1000 miles away

Blackhead

Redarse
I kinda of understand where you're coming from but I think moving a few blocks to prepare for a role is a bit different than a year or more 1000 miles away

But his reason was worse and more selfish. Because she 'distracts' him. They are both self centered characters but Hannah moving for the best grad school in the country is way more justifiable than Adam insisting on an optional separation because he doesn't want to juggle career and relationships for a bit. Once he crossed that bridge he can't turn around and decry the her doing the same

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Marnie is the best character on this show. Period.
bluth-no.gif

OjjKkPp.png

I just ruined my relationship, and compromised my boyfriend's big break...but oh golly I got in to grad school!

How did she compromise Adam's big break?

I very rarely find myself in the position of wanting to defend Hannah as she's been an ass this season but I think Adam was an absolute jerk in the finale. She got into grad school, as her boyfriend he should be happy for her. Instead he acts like her telling him this ruined his performance, which is absolute bullshit. He doesn't want her to go but he knows he isn't in a position to shit on her goals when he was given the opportunity to achieve his.

She was genuinely congratulatory and happy for his success after the play and he turned around and completely shit on her.

Good for Hannah for getting into grad school and it might do her some good on the social side of things. She's a complete mess of a human being as well.

They all are, save Ray.

I look at this show as a younger version of Seinfeld. Most of these characters are quite deplorable but it's fun to laugh at the ridiculous situations they find themselves in every week.

The most disappointing part of the season to me was the way Hannah left GQ. When she got the job she had that whole "this is beneath me" attitude but got smacked down. It was disappointing that she pretty much did the same thing again. It just felt as if the character didn't grow or learn anything. The plot felt pointless because of that.

I thought it achieved exactly what I expected it to: It showed that Hannah is currently incapable of growing as a human being since she's still encumbered by childish notions of what success is. That was the point and you're right to think that the character didn't grow or learn anything. None of these characters do.

If this is the midway point of the series I expect to see some sort of transformation occur next season

Nameless

I'm not aware of too many things
I know what I know if you know what I mean
Philosophy is the talk on a cereal box
Religion is the smile on a dog

Choke me in the shallow water
Before I get too deep

What I am is what I am
Are you what you are - or what?

Philosophy is a walk on the slippery rocks
Religion is a light in the fog

Choke me in the shallow water
Before I get too deep

What I am is what I am
Are you what you are - or what?

Don't let me get too deep

Adam wasn't a huge jerk. Hannah should have held the news till later, simple as that. She threw him off kilter and he lashed out. She seriously couldn't wait a bit?

Adam wasn't a huge jerk. Hannah should have held the news till later, simple as that. She through him off kilter and he lashed out. She seriously couldn't wait a bit?

As with every character on this show, he's an adult, he needs to start acting like one.

Sure, she could have held the news until after the performance but his insinuation that his performance was ruined by Hannah was bullshit. Adam was displaying a Prima Donna level of rage. He's just as bad as her.

As with every character on this show, he's an adult, he needs to start acting like one.

Sure, she could have held the news until after the performance but his insinuation that his performance was ruined by Hannah was bullshit. Adam was displaying a Prima Donna level of rage. He's just as bad as her.
meh I don't think he genuinely believed he sucked, like I said it seems like he was just lashing out. But again regardless of how he responded she should have held the news.

Van Owen

Banned
I very rarely find myself in the position of wanting to defend Hannah as she's been an ass this season but I think Adam was an absolute jerk in the finale. She got into grad school, as her boyfriend he should be happy for her. Instead he acts like her telling him this ruined his performance, which is absolute bullshit. He doesn't want her to go but he knows he isn't in a position to shit on her goals when he was given the opportunity to achieve his.

You don't think it was a passive aggressive, selfish move to go into his dressing room a couple of hours before his Broadway debut to tell him that she's moving to Iowa to go to school after he has repeatable told her that he wants some space to focus on the play? Was that really the ideal time to drop that bomb on him?

Edit: Also keep in mine, Hannah's was such a supportive girlfriend that she fell asleep during the play and had to be woken up. If what's his face wasn't there she would have slept through Adam's performance.

xenist

What the fuck? Yes, Hannah going with the news to Adam before the show was ill advised considering just how much of an insane drama queen he is, but her leaving for Iowa is absolutely the prefect thing for her. Because Adam, even if he actually loves her, is a crazy and toxic person.

Rookje

I disagree. He clearly loves her. Even adults in love will react in the way he did.

You never drop a bomb like Hannah did right before someone's debut acting performance. Maybe if the performance was you being an emo maniac.

Hannah is completely self absorbed, her only altruism is her conscious displays of doing things for other people so she can say she isn't self absorbed. And its pretty obvious by the writing and acting that its supposed to be interpreted that way.

But my guess for next season is that she will go to Iowa, then quit and come back to NYC. "I'm not even sure you can teach writing." is pretty indicative of how Hannah thinks.

Yado

Do you really believe an 'inappropriate' response, is to be nervous during your big acting break on Broadway, because the love of your life is moving half way across the country? And to lash out because she dropped this bombshell right before you went on?

Who gives a shit, Adam is a weirdo manchild and he would have reacted like an idiot regardless of when Hannah told him. Hannah's no saint but she didn't do anything wrong by telling him.

Blackhead

Redarse
I disagree. He clearly loves her. Even adults in love will react in the way he did.

You never drop a bomb like Hannah did right before someone's debut acting performance. Maybe if the performance was you being an emo maniac.

Hannah is completely self absorbed, her only altruism is her conscious displays of doing things for other people so she can say she isn't self absorbed. And its pretty obvious by the writing and acting that its supposed to be interpreted that way.

But my guess for next season is that she will go to Iowa, then quit and come back to NYC. "I'm not even sure you can teach writing." is pretty indicative of how Hannah thinks.

No

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
That was a fantastic season. I really love that the writers were able to diagnose and address the problems they (seemed to) face last year.

Timbuktu

I think this was one of the most clearly themed episodes of Girls there's been where all the character's arcs were tied together quite neatly and naturally.

You don't get to define what is and isn't an issue for someone else or dictate how they feel. everyone is so focused on themselves they assume the other person would react to news the same way they do. I don't find either Hannah and Adam to be much worst than each other, their problem is probably more minor, they might drift apart, but that's just life and they will both be fine.

Marney is the same fucking thing, in the more obvious and obnoxious way, telling people news and giving people things for the most selfish reasons and convincing herself otherwise. I feel for Soshana and she need some hugs (she really need better friends), but her telling Ray she loves him and wants him was still all about her and not about who she is talking to. As that that woman told Marney, no one ever taught them when to fucking talk.

That goes for the old artist too. A shitty thing to do to someone you just met.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
"Hannah, why don't you place just one crumb of basic human compassion on this fat-free muffin of sociopathic detachment?"

lolol

- TV Line: Community's Gillian Jacobs Nabs Recurring Role In Season 4
Gillian Jacobs will recur in the upcoming fourth season of Girls, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Fresh off the cancellation of Community, the former Britta Perry will play Mimi-Rose Howard, making her first appearance
in Episode 5 – which is curiously titled “Mimi-Rose.”
An HBO rep would only confirm that Jacobs will appear in Season 4, which premieres in early 2015.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Man, she's really cute. But I wouldn't appreciate being named Maude. It's not the 70s anymore, dad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom