• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girls - Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
It doesn't hurt that he has the juciest role on the show. I really like Kirke a lot and could see her do good things...but her role on the show isn't nearly as interesting, I guess.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Not that I don't think there is rampant sexism in Hollywood and there aren't enough protagonist roles written for women or minorities, but as actors I really don't think the girls are that great.

I agree. Adam Driver is by far the best actor on the show and he also plays the most well written character. He has a really unique, magnetic quality to him (not to mention a really unique physical appearance that is almost Cumberbatchian in terms of oddness) that not a lot of actors/actresses have. That's why he's getting all these big roles - he's one of a kind.

Allison Williams isn't getting any roles because she's a horrible actress - a D tier Greta Gerwig - and there are a million other far more talented actresses out there to fill that niche.

Lena Dunham is good on the show, but she hasn't appeared in a whole lot of other non-Dunham written/directed projects so it's hard to say whether she's a "good actress" or not. She might not be cut out for big dramatic roles (then again, she might be) but I don't see why she isn't being cast in, like, Rebel Wilson-esque supporting roles in stuff like 'Pitch Perfect' or 'Bridesmaids' or whatever. That does strike me as sort of strange.

I do like Zosia Mamet - it's a testament to her acting ability that she can turn such a poorly fleshed out character like Shoshanna into someone who feels significant even when she's only getting 2 minutes of screen time per episode - and Jemima Kirke, but their storylines are so thin and uninteresting compared to that of the other characters that it's no surprise they aren't garnering more attention. Maybe if Dunham and the rest of the writing team put them in the spotlight more often and gave them more opportunities to shine then they'd be getting more film roles too.

Blackhead

Redarse
I agree. Adam Driver is by far the best actor on the show and he also plays the most well written character. He has a really unique, magnetic quality to him (not to mention a really unique physical appearance that is almost Cumberbatchian in terms of oddness) that not a lot of actors/actresses have. That's why he's getting all these big roles - he's one of a kind.

Haha

gZSUyPS.jpg

Lena Dunham at SXSW 2014: 'Female stars of Girls are being typecast'
The creator of HBO’s hit show compares lack of film work for female stars with that of co-star Adam Driver, who’s been offered roles by Spielberg and the Coen brothers

Not that I don't think there is rampant sexism in Hollywood and there aren't enough protagonist roles written for women or minorities, but as actors I really don't think the girls are that great. Maybe they get more press than they deserve already. The consensus here is that Adam Driver is the best on the show, right?

The most talented actor on the show in my mind.

MG310

I feel like Lena's acting is more suited to a stage than movies if that makes sense at all. See the argument she has with Adam's sister for a specific example of what I'm talking about.

I feel like Lena's acting is more suited to a stage than movies if that makes sense at all. See the argument she has with Adam's sister for a specific example of what I'm talking about.
I can see this. She connects with an audience really well but that's not always what's required in film and TV. She almost feels to 'real' in the sense she's not 'acting'.

Bladenic

I agree that Adam is the best and that Zosia and Jemima are more capable than the material they're given to work with. Especially Zosia.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The creator of HBO’s hit show compares lack of film work for female stars with that of co-star Adam Driver, who’s been offered roles by Spielberg and the Coen brothers

Not that I don't think there is rampant sexism in Hollywood and there aren't enough protagonist roles written for women or minorities, but as actors I really don't think the girls are that great. Maybe they get more press than they deserve already. The consensus here is that Adam Driver is the best on the show, right?

Lena Dunham has some serious misplaced rage here, and it's kind of insulting to Adam Driver. Lincoln wrapped photography roughly 5 months before Girls premiered. Inside Llewyn Davis began production 2 months before Girls premiered. So umm, he was apparently proving himself to big time directors before Dunham's precious show. People were already seeing something in him. The article also points out that Mamet was getting decent film roles prior to Girls.

Kinda seems like the truth is Girls is at best allowing Driver to maintain momentum while perhaps even damaging the less impressive performers. Besides, if Dunham thinks the actresses deserve better work, she should start within her own writing room.

GQman2121

Banned
Hannah as a character is too dense to exist in reality. Her shittiness is summed up with her comment of everything is my business before barging in on Ray and Marnie.

Also, the reason none of the women on the show are getting work is because they portray shitty characters. Marnie is unique in that she is played by a shit actress who can't act.

Salt & Pepa during the credits was the best part of the show.

Bladenic

Okay, so I loved that episode. I thought it was damn near perfect (minus like no Shosh again but at least it looks like she has something going on in the finale). If every episode was like this, then I think Girls would be a damn good show.

S3 has been vastly better than S2, IMO.

royalan

lol I just made my facebook status after seeing tonight's episode calling Hannah a dick.

LOL - I don't usually side with Hannah, but I have to in this case.

You don't just make the decision to casually move out of your apartment with your girlfriend, tell her in the middle of a fight, say it's because she's "dramatic" and expect her NOT to spaz out. It's a total selfish dick move.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
The fuck Hannah, who just barges into another room when they know damn well what is happening on the other side of the door

The lack of sosh and the Marnie/Ray situation makes me think that Sosh might stop being a regular next series. She's barely in it at all, has her own life and after this Marnie thing comes out shes going to distance herself from everyone

royalan

Adam is right to move out. Any sane person would get as far away from Hannah as possible.

Yeah, but then you break up with her.

You don't string her along with some "I just need to be away from you to get into 'work mode'" BS. It's a total cop-out. Adam went from a grown man with the only sensible perspective on the show to a little-ass boy in the span of 2 episodes.

Duh that's exactly why she went in there. She knew it was Marnie and that had to be exposed. No waiting outside until the deed is done then Ray pretending he was just giving her a massage or some shit

Yeah, it also seemed to me that Hannah barged in because she recognized Marnie's voice. I don't think she would have cared who Ray was fucking otherwise.

Blackhead

Redarse
The fuck Hannah, who just barges into another room when they know damn well what is happening on the other side of the door

Duh that's exactly why she went in there. She knew it was Marnie and that had to be exposed. No waiting outside until the deed is done then Ray pretending he was just giving her a massage or some shit

Congrats guys, you got me watching Girls. Starting from Season One of course. It has a good mix of funny and awkward, waiting to see where it goes from here.

So far it's like someone made a TV show out of the essence of my ex girlfriend, so there's that.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~

Although I usually appreciate subtlety, they could have had her say she recognised the voice or something just before she barges in. She just came across quite crazy tbh

Although I usually appreciate subtlety, they could have had her say she recognised the voice or something just before she barges in. She just came across quite crazy tbh
I thought it was pretty obvious. Hannah is still the worst, though. Just ahead of Marnie and Jessa.

No way she recognized Marnie by her sex grunts. She just barged in there because Ray was banging someone and she wanted to know who.

"Everything is my business" just perfectly sums up Hannah. Brilliant line.

I agree with her overarching point about the difficulties women can face in Hollywood, especially in the studio system, but perhaps Adam Driver's rise isn't the best case to cite. Unlike all of the main cast, he's the only conventionally trained actor (i.e. Juilliard grad, acted on Broadway, etc.). It must've been frustrating that the Coen brothers only cast Driver and the dude who plays Ray for Inside Llewyn Davis and not her when they're obviously watching the show, but it's not always easy for lead actors (and especially ones with idiosyncratic characters) on television to transition into supporting roles in film, even when they're men.

Edit:

Lena Dunham has some serious misplaced rage here, and it's kind of insulting to Adam Driver. Lincoln wrapped photography roughly 5 months before Girls premiered. Inside Llewyn Davis began production 2 months before Girls premiered. So umm, he was apparently proving himself to big time directors before Dunham's precious show. People were already seeing something in him. The article also points out that Mamet was getting decent film roles prior to Girls.

Kinda seems like the truth is Girls is at best allowing Driver to maintain momentum while perhaps even damaging the less impressive performers. Besides, if Dunham thinks the actresses deserve better work, she should start within her own writing room.

Interesting. I guess the Coens cast Driver from his Broadway rep and Karpovsky is an indie film guy so I can see him getting cast by another route too. Bringing up Driver's movie roles definitely makes less sense then.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I wanted to throw something at Hannah during that last scene. Fuuuuck. Next week needs to play out as deliciously as I hope because it needs to.

Sanjuro

I can watch the show on demand, or on HBO GO, but I'm contemplating pirating every episode from now on so Comcast and shut down my complete access to the show.

This season has some small moments. It feels like a sketch comedy show more than a complete narrative. There isn't one constant character who is likable anymore.

KingKong

It's like she can't really do anything with other characters, all the scenes with Hannah are great but then there's the boring Marnie/Jessa/Shosh scenes where nothing really happens and they never go anywhere

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is Season 2 really that terrible?
Other than some out of place stuff, and the main character's descent into unlikeability, it was good. That Patrick Wilson episode came out of nowhere, and her boring friend got way too much screentime, but it did stuff that made the show darker but very interesting.

Rookje

madmen_s04e0434.jpg

Zosia Mamet was actually on Mad Men and I thought she did pretty well. I could see her getting future work.

Allison Williams is not that great of an actress unfortunately. A lot of emotional scenes she comes off as fake, though I guess you could say that's part of her character.

I can see Lena being typecast, but there just aren't a lot of roles for a quirky overweight girl in Hollywood.

turnbuckle

I was one of the few here who actually mostly liked the second season. Mostly.

This season has been much better. There, that's my deep analysis.

I really, really can't stand Jessa. Shosh going off on her made Shosh move up a few notches for me.

I get some pretty bad wahjah when watching scenes with Marnie. Like, this whole show tends to put Hannah in situations that one might feel embarrassed for her for, but Hannah's so shameless I never feel uncomfortable about her in the way I do with Marnie.

Allison Williams is a gorgeous actress and has a good voice, but any time she goes to sing I cringe. Every time she does just about anything I cringe. If that was the point of her character when they were doing casting then Allison deserves every award ever. Because she pulls off the fake, insincere, co-dependent, selfish, robotic, everything else that can be bad in a person character so well. Many of those qualities can describe nearly everyone on the show, but Marnie just has that certain something about her that makes her my least favorite on the show. I can't stand Jessa, but at least it feels like that's the intention of the show. Hannah's a goddamned mess, but she owns it.

It would have been better if they wrote Marnie off the show as being a crazy person so obsessed with her ex that she moved far away to stalk him. Or they could have left her in Booth's TV Torture chamber forever.

Oh, and Adam Driver is far and away the best character and actor on the show IMO. He deserves any roles offered to him.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Judd Apatow interview with The Hollywood Reporter

"There have been things on Girls where HBO has said to us, 'If we put this on TV, we literally could lose our license to broadcast,' the filmmaker said. In one particular case, "Let's just say it's something you see in adult film. Elements of sexual intercourse. The high points of sexual intercourse."

Apatow said fans can expect Girls to run six seasons."We've talked about doing six seasons," he said. "I guess that could change. It's not set. I think we're all committed that we'll do six."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom