• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girls - Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

inm8num2

The highlights from last week were kind of amusing - Adam getting a big part on Broadway, which of course preceded the announcement that the actor would be in SW.

I'm surprised to see some people calling season 3 a return to form. To me, it barely resembles either of the previous two seasons and has tried really hard to make all of the girls unlikeable (especially Hannah).

I haven't watched last night's episode yet, but i think there are two good episodes (road trip, beach house) and outside of that, just some good moments or scenes here and there.

I liked (most of) season 2 much better.

royalan

I typically don't like Hannah-centric episodes, either. I make exception for this one because we got to learn more about Hannah in a way that made sense.

I hated the OCD episodes from last season and the death episode from earlier this season because they were just so "...wut?" They just seemed so out-of-the blue and unnatural, forced moments for Hannah.

It was refreshing to put Hannah in a scenario where she could be seen as rational and mature, and even somewhat normal in a way that ALSO made sense for her. Seeing Hannah interact with her extended family left me thinking, "Ok, yeah, now I TOTALLY see how a person like Hannah happens."

Speaking as someone who had an a similar experience when my grandfather died of cancer a few years ago, this episode totally nailed that family dynamic around someone dieing, at least for dysfunctional families like mine. It felt too close to home.

I typically don't like Hannah-centric episodes, either. I make exception for this one because we got to learn more about Hannah in a way that made sense.

I hated the OCD episodes from last season and the death episode from earlier this season because they were just so "...wut?" They just seemed so out-of-the blue and unnatural, forced moments for Hannah.

It was refreshing to put Hannah in a scenario where she could be seen as rational and mature, and even somewhat normal in a way that ALSO made sense for her. Seeing Hannah interact with her extended family left me thinking, "Ok, yeah, now I TOTALLY see how a person like Hannah happens."
I just think it's ridiculous. Hannah as a character is so hard for a lot of people to believe but meeting her family makes you realize how it's possible? All it makes me realize is that she's some sort of amalgamation of a band of even more ridiculous characters. It's just all a stretch to me.

But like I said, just don't like the Hannah character so much. I'm not a hater really I just don't care for her.

LordCanti

Hannah only episodes always leave me cold and this one wasn't really an exception. I feel like we get a different Hannah every week... "No, I won't lie to Grandma" from the girl who fed Adam that made up story about the crippled guy she took to the prom or whatever (that Adam's sister had told her).

I liked the line from...whoever that was last episode (the Broadway lady) about how Adam was going to be an asshole and that Hannah would have to forgive him. I laughed then and I'm still laughing.... Hannah is the asshole.

I just think it's ridiculous. Hannah as a character is so hard for a lot of people to believe but meeting her family makes you realize how it's possible? All it makes me realize is that she's some sort of amalgamation of a band of even more ridiculous characters. It's just all a stretch to me.

But like I said, just don't like the Hannah character so much. I'm not a hater really I just don't care for her.

The characters are caricatures, yes, but that's always been an issue that writers face. I think the most damning thing I can say about hannah's character (and it's really a criticism that im leveling on Lena, who I assume has the most say in as far as the show's writing goes) is that the show often confuses complexity with depth. Making your characters more complex rings as a poor attempt to add depth to them and might be telling of how young the writers behind this show are.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I liked how there was an actual resemblance between Hannah, her mum and her grandma. Was a nice little detail.

I really liked the episode, Adam was my fave even though he was only in it for twenty seconds.

The characters are caricatures, yes, but that's always been an issue that writers face. I think the most damning thing I can say about hannah's character (and it's really a criticism that im leveling on Lena, who I assume has the most say in as far as the show's writing goes) is that the show often confuses complexity with depth. Making your characters more complex rings as a poor attempt to add depth to them and might be telling of how young the writers behind this show are.

Did Lena write this last episode? If so, it really shows.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm almost through the second season, and haven't found anything really offensive, I kinda like it. The OCD out of nowhere is not great, and the Marnie/Charlie thing is boring, but the season isn't a disaster I guess. I actually miss Jessa, I think that actress is better than her role.

edit: Oh, just saw the finale...that was a pretty cheesy ending.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I typically don't much like the Hannah centric episodes either (the show is at its best when all four girls get an equal amount of screen time imo) but this was easily in the top 3 of the series for me.

Hannah's family actually reminded me a lot of my own, oddly enough. Her grandma is very similar to mine; her relationship with her cousin is very similar to the relationship that I have with one of my cousins; her mom/aunt/aunt dynamic is bizarrely similar to my mom/aunt/uncle dynamic. That plus the hospital stuff really hit close to home.

And seeing what her extended family is like helped me to understand how Hannah came to be the person that she is today. This was a fantastic episode for Hannah and helped me see her in a new light.

LordCanti

That was a pretty poorly manufactured
semi-heel turn.

At least they let Shosh do something I guess, but not something that had much of anything to do with figuring out her own shit.

Oh and Marnie gonna Marn.

"I'm so thurrrsttyyy gurlllll"

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I shit you not when the hannah first appeared in the blonde wig I completely didnt recognise her and I thought they were going to set up a story line where Adam started to cheat on her with his broadway friends.

The shosh-Jessa story line was really good. I hope they keep it up with shosh trying to help Jessa get her shit together. Also they need more uppity English girls in the show because Dotty was great

Marnie stays being useless and boring but the art gallery girl seems kinda interesting. Outrageously short dress too

solomon

Season 1 had me like O.O this is amazing, but two and now starting three have felt like I'm really pushing myself to finish this. WHE GoT at!!!!

I shit you not when the hannah first appeared in the blonde wig I completely didnt recognise her and I thought they were going to set up a story line where Adam started to cheat on her with his broadway friends.

The shosh-Jessa story line was really good. I hope they keep it up with shosh trying to help Jessa get her shit together. Also they need more uppity English girls in the show because Dotty was great

Marnie stays being useless and boring but the art gallery girl seems kinda interesting. Outrageously short dress too

I was hoping more would be done with Marnie and Soon Jin. Maybe that'll be left for a future episode. The image of Marnie losing her shit and getting fired by Soon Jin would cement the incredible fall she's suffering from.

Hannah and that ridiculous lingerie outfit and blonde wig made me realize that Hannah is multiple times weirder than Adam, but for some reason has become really forced in the context of the show. If this episode was to show Hannah as immature and Adam as maturing, why did it seem so unnatural?

Shosh is finally putting Jessa in her place! I'm glad she's being given things to do. Her rant on the girls at the beach house made it very clear that her character became my favorite.

gdt

Mannnn that was a great episode. There entire ending was amazing. Driver should get a nom for that. Lena was great too.

On Demand

Banned
One thing i like about this show is the set designs. They're so well made and realistic.

Yes i pay attention to the background.

Been missing Ray for a while. He hasn't been featured as much this season, and I found him really interesting to watch in the second half of season 2 so here's hoping we get a good amount of him in the final 2 episodes. The prospect of him and Adam living together for a little while is a good one!

Enjoyed the episode. Girls stays a show that I generally am not eager to watch each week for some reason, but I know that when I do it will leave me feeling good and connected to something. This week was particularly funny, too. Adam and Hannah having fun in the bar and outside of it was very funny, regardless of the upsetting ending. I wonder if Jessa is going to actually make some forward progress this time or if this is just another incident in a long line of incidents we are still in the midst of.

Also, I've got to mention I occasionally skip Marnie's scenes. Not because they are boring, but because she's such an embarrassing person I can't bring myself to watch once I realise things are going a certain way. I don't think I've made it through an entire scene of her singing yet.

Empty

i thought this season was pretty good but the last two episodes i've totally loved. felt in those two like the show is properly living up to its promise in tackling young people's issues with genuine honesty and humour.

hannah's attempts at bringing spark into the love life were hilarious, combined with adam's bemusement and the drama felt earned and powerful. last weeks is probably my favourite girls episode and is a totally expert look at how families interact.

Rookje

tumblr_n2c49xgd2N1qf34gmo4_250.gif

I died at that part.

Timbuktu

Lena Dunham at SXSW 2014: 'Female stars of Girls are being typecast'
The creator of HBO’s hit show compares lack of film work for female stars with that of co-star Adam Driver, who’s been offered roles by Spielberg and the Coen brothers

Lena Dunham has compared the recent success of Girls star Adam Driver with that of his female co-stars and cited the difference as symptomatic of Hollywood’s attitude towards women.

Dunham, giving Monday’s keynote lecture at the SXSW film festival, said she was happy for Driver, but that the variety of film roles he had been offered since appearing in Girls contrasted sharply with the parts offered to its female cast members.

“People are ready to see Adam play a million different guys in one year – from lotharios to villains to nerds. Meanwhile [co-stars] Allison Williams, Jemima Kirke and Zosia Mamet are still waiting for parts they can get interested in”.

Dunham said there were few opportunities for women of the Girls cast past being typecast as “high school ditzes”. Of the female cast members of HBO’s cult show only Mamet has taken film work. Her movie career predates the show’s 2012 launch and has included small roles in Lisa Cholodenko’s The Kids are All Right and Noah Baumbach’s Greenberg. Meanwhile, Driver has been offered large parts in films directed by the Coen brothers and Stephen Spielberg. He is rumoured to be playing the villain in JJ Abrams’s reboot of the Star Wars franchise.

Dunham’s own film career has been limited to starring roles in her own movies, a role in Joe Swanberg’s upcoming Happy Christmas and bit-part in Girls producer Judd Apatow’s This Is 40. “There’s no place for me in the studio system,” she said.

Tiny Furniture, Dunham’s second feature, won best narrative feature at the 2011 SXSW festival. During her speech at this year’s festival she thanked Janet Pierson, SXSW’s head of film, for launching her career and introducing her to “the only part of my life I’ve really enjoyed”.

Not that I don't think there is rampant sexism in Hollywood and there aren't enough protagonist roles written for women or minorities, but as actors I really don't think the girls are that great. Maybe they get more press than they deserve already. The consensus here is that Adam Driver is the best on the show, right?

The creator of HBO’s hit show compares lack of film work for female stars with that of co-star Adam Driver, who’s been offered roles by Spielberg and the Coen brothers

Not that I don't think there is rampant sexism in Hollywood and there aren't enough protagonist roles written for women or minorities, but as actors I really don't think the girls are that great. Maybe they get more press than they deserve already. The consensus here is that Adam Driver is the best on the show, right?

Well, he is a very good part of the show and Girls would be far less without him - but we can never know how much of that is Adam Driver and how much of that is the way Lena Dunham and the other writers write him. I think she's entirely right. Adam Driver seems like a good actor, but I really don't get comments that the female cast is substantially weaker. It's POSSIBLE that Alison Williams isn't that great - but I think she's good as Marnie, it's just that a lot of that character requires Williams to mostly be doing a stink face. Although this season she seems pretty delusional and you've got to give some credit to the actress for the layers there.

The other three actresses though have consistently played their various arcs well, and are really funny in the well written comedic parts. I think Lena is totally right - it's kind of bogus that in a show where he's the only truly major male cast member (Ray gets a lot less screen time), he's also the only one who's had any breakout success despite the fact many of his colleagues have done nothing to make me doubt they are talented. Adam Driver seems to be getting given a chance here and I think a part of that is because he's a man - there are just many more kinds of roles available for men, and so Adam's off-kilter persona and his strange look don't preclude him for getting roles since there are so many male types he would potentially be suited to. The women though have far fewer opportunities to branch out like that. Even Lena's still having to make her own opportunities.

Adam makes the show more interesting than the girls do, mainly because he dominates the screen when we see him. He also plays a character whose first introduction we have of him, he's practically raping Hannah during sex and Hannah is too dense to think its weird.

Adam Driver the actor caught a break getting a role that could go either way: bury him or push him up the career ladder(Star Wars). If anything I think he'll be a menacing body but voiced over by someone else in a Star Wars film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom