• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Global Game Awards winners for 2015 announced

Karl Hawk

Banned
Im fuckin with you. Easy bro lol. we are just talking about games here.

Welp. You know how it is, can't tell who's sarcastic on the internet anymore. ._.

Anyways, overall, I think the list is good overall. Sure, some people may disagree, but it is what it is.

Cool that you like to do the same shitty thing over and over again! Good luck with Monster Nest number 257.

I feel there is a significant difference in the open world both games offer.

In The Witcher 3 it mainly serves as a background for different storylines to unfold. The main quest forced me to go on a nightly trek to Oxenfurt. I had to travel through lush forests, monster-infested swamps and bloodstained swamps. I could already see the lights of the city in the distance (such a beautiful sight) but I was denied access at the entrance. This is where The Witcher 3 shines: incorporating its beautiful open world into the story, giving quests the extra dimension of travel, exploration and sightseeing. It's the combination of meaningful storytelling and travel that elevates the open world to a higher level.

Fallout 4 on the other hand is very light on storytelling and the motivation to explore the world here is not storytelling but the exploration itself. Simply following quests painted the open world in a very disappointing light for me. In my first fifteen hours I was directed from one raider's camp to another, asking myself why I was doing this. There is very little cohesion, no internal consistency and it offers you very few opportunities to role-play. I can imagine that just exploring the open world and stumbling upon caves and secrets can be fun though.

To me The Witcher 3 feels like an actual medieval land and in comparison Fallout 4 would be a medieval-styled theme park zone. Both aim for different things but I vastly prefer what The Witcher 3 has done.

Star Wars Battlefront for Best Shooter... uhh, what?

It has amazing production values and is very true to its source material, but that doesn't make it a good shooter. The game that should win best shooter should be the game with the best shooting, and Battlefront's shooting feels merely okay. If we're talking PC versions here, running at 60fps, I would say even Fallout's shooting feels more satisfying. Blowing the heads off of Super Mutants with a fully modded Combat Shotgun is better than anything I experienced in my time with Battlefront.

Markoman

Yes, opinions, because you didn't actually write any arguments or facts. Just a bunch of stuff you think are facts. For example, I didn't have any problems controlling Geralt and certainly wasn't "constantly stumbling down stairs". I didn't have any significant issues controlling Roach either, certainly not to the level of "shitfest in every regard". Only issues I had with Roach was that sometimes he did not jump over obstacle I expected him to. No big deal for me at all.
I like how you think everyone with different opinion than you is stubborn and ignorant - I am sure all those thousands of people who ensured metacritic of 9.1 and steam score of 94 and all the journalists who got it to collective metacritic of 93 are all ignorant too.

Note that I am not denying your experience - if you could not control Geralt or Roach and hated combat, then that's your experience and that's that. But that experience is clearly not universal.

For me Witcher 3 did all the gameplay very competently - I enjoyed the combat, the exploration, the atmosphere and general gameplay loop. However it utterly excelled at giving me varied and interesting things to do, as well as eliciting actual, real emotions in me.
In Witcher 3, I

- hunted for a Giant on a remote island
- participated in a hilarious theater play
- investigated serial murders
- took part in large gwent tournament with surprise at the end
- interacted with adoptive daughter and ensured she got enough confidence to take on large responsibilities
- experienced an authetic, amazingly funny wedding
- took part in deciding who is going to be crowned next king of entire Isle nation
- slayed many epic monsters, usually with interesting narrative around them
- got drunk with my fellow witchers and then crossdressed and drunk dialed religious figure who was taking a shit at that moment
- traveled through different worlds
- participated in a heist

I could go on...Witcher 3 is packed with interesting things to do, more than any other game I have played not just this year, but probably ever in the 20 years I have been playing games. And it is consistently well written, which is also unusual in AAA gaming (sadly).

Ok, Kudos for taking the discussion seriously. And to answer another reply to my posts, I will go further into detail by addressing some of the points you made.

1. Controls and traversal in open world games: I'm not saying that the game is unplayable, but it's just not fun running/riding or moving Geralt around. In comparisson, Venom Snake is not a super-hero, but moving/controlling him is just pure joy due to better animations and movement options.

2. The metacritic argument is a shot in the foot, because I can easily use MGSV to counter it -even if someone does not like that game

3. Gameplay: All the activities you mentioned are actually not gameplay aspects but part of the narrative. Hunting a giant and investigating serial murders all feature the same basic gameplay mechanics (witcher sense, dialogues, combat). You are not really doing the detective work, the game is hand-holding you. I do understand that people love the mind-game, which means that they get invested and immersed in those little stories, but I have a different definition of gameplay it seems: hunting meaning hunting, investigating meaning investigating not the illusion of both by pressing one button to highlight items and another to trigger something. I'm not a Jump'n Run fan for example, but I can still tell whether a particular JnR game has good gameplay mechanics or not.
My main issue in this discussion are people not realizing that the thing they love about W3 is the 'fantasy' they are participating in and not the actual gameplay elements.

tuxfool

Banned
My main issue in this discussion are people not realizing that the thing they love about W3 is the 'fantasy' they are participating in and not the actual gameplay elements.

It is an RPG. This should be the ultimate goal of such a game. It does what it says on the tin.

I had a lot of fun with the combat and RPG gameplay of The Witcher 3. Please stop telling people they are enjoying things wrong.

vocab

Id give Soma best story.

Witcher 3 best openworld...? Game is fun but the open world is soooo bad. Most of the things you go out to explore and find are treasures, captured prisoners, bandit camps, monster nests and they repeat over and over. Fallout 4 is probably a worse game but does open world much better.
Fallout 4 is literally go out and clear raiders for 70 percent of the game. The game even has quests that respawn areas you already cleared. Have you even played it? Probably not.

Denton

Ok, Kudos for taking the discussion seriously. And to answer another reply to my posts, I will go further into detail by addressing some of the points you made.

1. Controls and traversal in open world games: I'm not saying that the game is unplayable, but it's just not fun running/riding or moving Geralt around. In comparisson, Venom Snake is not a super-hero, but moving/controlling him is just pure joy due to better animations and movement options.

2. The metacritic argument is a shot in the foot, because I can easily use MGSV to counter it -even if someone does not like that game

3. Gameplay: All the activities you mentioned are actually not gameplay aspects but part of the narrative. Hunting a giant and investigating serial murders all feature the same basic gameplay mechanics (witcher sense, dialogues, combat). You are not really doing the detective work, the game is hand-holding you. I do understand that people love the mind-game, which means that they get invested and immersed in those little stories, but I have a different definition of gameplay it seems: hunting meaning hunting, investigating meaning investigating not the illusion of both by pressing one button to highlight items and another to trigger something. I'm not a Jump'n Run fan for example, but I can still tell whether a particular JnR game has good gameplay mechanics or not.

1. Not fun for you, I had great fun just moving in the environment and exploring, particularly after I enabled the alternative movement system in the options menu. Much more fun than in MGS5 which had barren, uninteresting environments. Velen, Skellige, Kaer Morhen - pleasure to explore.

2.MGS5 is a great game despite its faults. I have no problem with its high metacritic, which you do seem to have with Witcher.

3. I consider gameplay and narrative intertwined. It's all part of overall gaming experience. And what an utterly glorious experience it is. Plus most games are even worse at "gameplay" if one would like to be stupidly reductive like that.I greatly enjoyed even the pure gameplay stuff like combat on hard, alchemy etc

I feel there is a significant difference in the open world both games offer.

In The Witcher 3 it mainly serves as a background for different storylines to unfold. The main quest forced me to go on a nightly trek to Oxenfurt. I had to travel through lush forests, monster-infested swamps and bloodstained swamps. I could already see the lights of the city in the distance (such a beautiful sight) but I was denied access at the entrance. This is where The Witcher 3 shines: incorporating its beautiful open world into the story, giving quests the extra dimension of travel, exploration and sightseeing. It's the combination of meaningful storytelling and travel that elevates the open world to a higher level.

Fallout 4 on the other hand is very light on storytelling and the motivation to explore the world here is not storytelling but the exploration itself. Simply following quests painted the open world in a very disappointing light for me. In my first fifteen hours I was directed from one raider's camp to another, asking myself why I was doing this. There is very little cohesion, no internal consistency and it offers you very few opportunities to role-play. I can imagine that just exploring the open world and stumbling upon caves and secrets can be fun though.

To me The Witcher 3 feels like an actual medieval land and in comparison Fallout 4 would be a medieval-styled theme park zone. Both aim for different things but I vastly prefer what The Witcher 3 has done.

Bingoo
I like Fallout a lot..but yeah.

jakomocha

Super happy to see Life is Strange do so well.

It's especially impressive that it got second place in the GOTY category considering that it was added as a nominee later than the rest.

Witcher III gets GotY.
Witcher III gets 2nd place in RPG category.

OK.

That's actually an oddly fitting tribute to Pillars of Eternity. Mechanically, it's a hell of an RPG, filled with classes and customation, while the Witcher has always tried to blend action game and traditional RPG (getting a little closer to their goal with every release). As a whole product, it might be hard to justify, but purely as an RPG it seems fair to me.

Really, it's just a sweet distinction to make.

tuxfool

Banned
That's actually an oddly fitting tribute to Pillars of Eternity. Mechanically, it's a hell of an RPG, filled with classes and customation, while the Witcher has always tried to blend action game and traditional RPG (getting a little closer to their goal with every release). As a whole product, it might be hard to justify, but purely as an RPG it seems fair to me.

Really, it's just a sweet distinction to make.

Totally. But then they put FO4 above Shadowrun:HK.

Best Console Platform of the Year should just be a mirror. It's all anyone really wants.
Totally. But then they put FO4 above Shadowrun:HK.

I haven't played FO4, but if it's anything like the previous Bethesda games, I'd imagine it's for the other side of the coin: none of the mechanics, but the unadulterated freedom you have to do what you want. Basically, personal roleplaying/imagination vs. mechanical/structured roleplaying.

Otherwise I'm scratching my head.

Hypron

Bloodborne is gonna get shafted everywhere this year isn't it, such a shame considering nothing else plays as well as it.

I disagree that nothing else plays as well because of MGSV. It's in a different genre but the gameplay is also absolutely sublime and the game is a lot more robust on the technical side of things (only incredibly rare frame drops, no weird framepacing issues, lower control latency), which makes the controls better.

Ratrat

Yea I mean, it's not like Mass Effect as a franchise is one of the most well regarded and praised series of the last generation both by critics and consumers or anything.
And also had one the most hated and disappointing endings in a videogame!

3 is
my favorite.

Yea I mean, it's not like Mass Effect as a franchise is one of the most well regarded and praised series of the last generation both by critics and consumers or anything.

The Witcher 3 is overrated trash and not worthy of GOTY. Mass Effect doesn't deserve to be anticipated. I love this thread. It's like bizarro world.

Arulan

Eh, after Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3, and Dragon Age: Inquisition I find it difficult to look forward to anything from BioWare. Then again, I doubt some of my most anticipated such as Torment: Tides of Numenera or Underrail are going to win any popularity contests.

jbluzb

The Witcher 3 has set the bar of rpg, open world and storytelling. GOTY is well deserved. Playing the game you can feel so much care and love went into it.

DAI and Fallout 4 pale in comparison if you compare it side by side.

Cipherr

The HAF X is old af. Im sure they probably re-release it with USB-C ports or something but damn
KuGsj.gif

The Witcher 3 has set the bar of rpg, open world and storytelling. GOTY is well deserved. Playing the game you can feel so much care and love went into it.

DAI and Fallout 4 pale in comparison if you compare it side by side.

Pray tell what you measure love and care by.

Computer

Hardline on the list for best shooter and not Halo 5? What a joke. Halo 5 is the best FPS I have played in years.

sleepykyo

So Until Dawn is a better "original" game than Bloodborne but Bloodborne is the better game overall? How does that work?

Well Bloodborne is a more refined souls game while Until Dawn isn't a more refined David Cage game. Rather than attempting to be high brow movie which ends up amazingly trite, Until Dawn ends up emulating one of the lowest forms of cinema, the teen slasher, but ends up surpringly entertaining as the different aspects of characters get fleshed out. Except Emily, who is a witch no matter what. So Until Dawn is a better (previously unattempted) intentional take on the teen slasher. But that doesn't make it better than the third take on Demon's Souls or the eight take on King's Field.

Glad to see Paradox (and Pillars of Eternity) do so well. Surprised they'd give PoE top spot over The Witcher 3 for Best RPG though.

Keinu

Well deserved for The Witcher 3, love that game and easily one of my all time favourite games.

The major thing I took from this list was that I had to play Life Is Strange, and since it was on sale on Steam I bought it last night. Stayed up late and played through the first 2 episodes and had to force myself to stop and go to bed. Great game so far and can't wait to see what happens in the next episodes.

cheezcake

Super happy to see Life is Strange do so well.

It's especially impressive that it got second place in the GOTY category considering that it was added as a nominee later than the rest.

Yeh if nothing else this list and the ensuing thread got me to buy Life is Strange

It is an RPG. This should be the ultimate goal of such a game. It does what it says on the tin.

Yes, because first and foremost, The Witcher 3 is a story driven RPG. It's literally the first thing they mention on the description.
The Witcher is a story-driven, next-generation open world role-playing game, set in a visually stunning fantasy universe, full of meaningful choices and impactful consequences.
And the game totally delivers its promises.

kiguel182

Honestly at this point any Game Award that has indie games as a category loses all credibility that a game award as to begin with.

If you are separating indie games from AAA games when it comes to quality you are doing it wrong.

This people think very simlar to me, becuase I like all those winners and runnerups in nearly every category.

Also I really like this:
BEST DEVELOPER
1. CD Projekt Red
2. Obsidian Entertainment
3. Colossal Order
4. FROM Software

No Bethesda to be seen and all of those 4 studios have done absolutely great this year. Shout out to Colossal Order, the small dev between giants.

The Witcher 3 winning everything that needs to win, Life is Strange same. Love to see Until Dawn winning horror game...

EDIT Ok, Undertale is not in comedy. Thats one thing wrong with the list. Everything else seems alright.

Top Bottom