• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Global Game Awards winners for 2015 announced

sora87

Bloodborne is gonna get shafted everywhere this year isn't it, such a shame considering nothing else plays as well as it.

zsynqx

Bloodborne is gonna get shafted everywhere this year isn't it, such a shame considering nothing else plays as well as it.

PC focused site.

It is a bit weird how sometimes they allow console games to slip in though, makes everything look a bit inconsistent. Just make it PC only, or judge everything equally imo.

Hupsel

Id give Soma best story.

Witcher 3 best openworld...? Game is fun but the open world is soooo bad. Most of the things you go out to explore and find are treasures, captured prisoners, bandit camps, monster nests and they repeat over and over. Fallout 4 is probably a worse game but does open world much better.

Markoman

It has been written about countless times here and elsewhere, why the game is so loved, which is why I doubt anyone is interested in repeating it all again only to unsuccessfully nonconvince the few people who dislike it. Maybe I am wrong and someone will see it worthwhile though

Yes, and as you can see in my posts above, there are some aspects of the game's quality I fully agree with. In terms of open world I usually witness the same lame arguments or to be precise no arguments.

Let's break Open World gameplay up into a few of its parts:
Traversal and character movement: is more fun in nearly every other ow-game - Geralt's animations aren't even really good in that department. And Roach is an abomination.
Combat: Batman, Ass Creed... type of combat. I'm not arguing about taste here, but anyone trying to say that this kind of combat is deep and/or innovative gets a laugh.
Exploration: if running around aimless to look at things with no real reward is your thing, switch off the mini-map - one point for W3. All the others may use settlement quest-boards, then fast travel and witcher school gear quests to be more efficient - you won't miss a thing!!!

So, moving your character across the map is more fun in Just Cause, RDR, Batman, GTA and to some degree the Assassin Creed games. Fighting enemies with swords is more fun in the Souls series, hell even in Ass. Creed 2 (at that time). Exploration is better and more meaningful in the Souls games and Fallout 4. So, basically the dialogues are what sets W3 apart...wait, anyone remember this game called Mass Effect. ME has introduced this level of quality when it comes to dialogues and consequences. W3 is just an uprezzed version.

I have a few quibbles but nothing big. Good awards all things considered.

"NOTE: KEEP IN MIND THESE AWARDS ALWAYS HAVE MORE FOCUS ON PC THAN CONSOLES, THOUGH THEY DO INCLUDE CONSOLES."

Translators note: "focus on PC" means "has any PC"

tuxfool

Banned
So, basically the dialogues are what sets W3 apart...wait, anyone remember this game called Mass Effect. ME has introduced this level of quality when it comes to dialogues and consequences. W3 is just an uprezzed version.

Not just. But nobody is going to convince you otherwise, so why bother? There are plenty of threads that go into that, you could just pop into one of those.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Yes, and as you can see in my posts above, there are some aspects of the game's quality I fully agree with. In terms of open world I usually witness the same lame arguments or to be precise no arguments.

Traversal and character movement: is more fun in nearly every other ow-game - Geralt's animations aren't even really good in that department. And Roach is an abomination.
Combat: Batman, Ass Creed... type of combat. I'm not arguing about taste here, but anyone trying to say that this kind of combat is deep and/or innovative gets a laugh.
Exploration: if running around aimless to look at things with no real reward is your thing, switch off the mini-map - one point for W3. All the others may use settlement quest-boards, then fast travel and witcher school gear quests to be more efficient - you won't miss a thing!!!

So, moving your character across the map is more fun in Just Cause, RDR, Batman, GTA and to some degree the Assassin Creed games. Fighting enemies with swords is more fun in the Souls series, hell even in Ass. Creed 2 (at that time). Exploration is better and more meaningful in the Souls games and Fallout 4. So, basically the dialogues are what sets W3 apart...wait, anyone remember this game called Mass Effect. ME has introduced this level of quality when it comes to dialogues and consequences. W3 is just an uprezzed version.

Fucking hell, you are a stubborn sod.

If its fine to be fanatic for Soulsborne (Don't deny it, there are lots of GOTY threads where Souls fans goes crazy that Bloodborne doesn't win any awards), why it shouldn't be allowed to fanatic for The Witcher series?

Shion

GAME OF THE YEAR 2015
1. The Witcher III
2. Life is Strange
3. Fallout 4
4. GTA V for PC
5. Cities: Skylines
6. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
7. Pillars of Eternity
8. Bloodborne

BEST STORY
1. The Witcher III
2. Life is Strange
3. Game of Thrones
4. Her Story

BEST ORIGINAL GAME
1. Life is Strange
2. Pillars of Eternity
3. Until Dawn
4. Bloodborne

BEST ADVENTURE
1. Life is Strange
2. Tales from the Borderlands
3. Kings Quest
4. Stasis

Well deserved.

Markoman

Fucking hell, you are a stubborn sod.

If its fine to be fanatic for Soulsborne (Don't deny it, there are lots of GOTY threads where Souls fans goes crazy that Bloodborne doesn't win any awards), why it shouldn't be allowed to fanatic for The Witcher series?

Thanks, I will take this as a compliment and I would really appreciate if one of you at least tried to put the same effort into your arguing instead of just spouting 'salt' comments and all the other fanboyish jibberish around.

And please don't get the wrong impression here: I absolutely love BB, but it was clear as daylight to me that this game won't win any Goty awards - and I don't fucking care. I don't listen to Grammy awarded music, so why should I give ratshit about gaming awards.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

I like how you compare each part of the Witcher to a different game, interesting.

tuxfool

Banned
Thanks, I will take this as a compliment and I would really appreciate if one of you at least tried to put the same effort into your arguing instead of just spouting 'salt' comments and all the other fanboyish jibberish around.

And please don't get the wrong impression here: I absolutely love BB, but it was clear as daylight to me that this game won't win any Goty awards - and I don't fucking care. I don't listen to Grammy awarded music, so why should I give ratshit about gaming awards.

You certainly seem to care enough about them to post in this thread.

Regarding your other issue, the problem is that there have been several threads discussing these various things, you should absolutely be aware of what people think about the various aspects of the witcher 3.

Markoman

I like how you compare each part of the Witcher to a different game, interesting.

Why not? The devs were clearly inspired by some of the games I mentioned (Mass Effect, RDR...). They even said that the combat was influenced by the Souls-series, though they miserably failed at getting down what makes the combat great in those games.

@tuxfool: No, I don't care at all to be honest. It's a boring day at work and I simply want to challenge those who keep evading the discussion. :D

Phinor

Best racing game? Need for Speed? Oh man the genre is truly dying at this point.

Depends on your taste. Sim racing is finally blossoming like never before. We even got our first Richard Burns Rally competitor in 11 years in the form of Dirt Rally. Project Cars was a great game all-around, not spectacular in any way, but solid in most ways.

And for slightly more arcade, your yearly Forza rarely disappoints. For complete arcade there's always a new Trackmania game on the horizon. So overall racing games are doing.. fine? Maybe the amount of quality releases isn't high, but we still get quality releases every year.

Why anyone would vote an abomination like Need for Speed? Marketing, marketing, marketing. Maybe a little bit of brand recognition.

Love WiiU but definitely hilarious that Nvidia Shield beat it as a "console".

Also where is Vive and the lighthouse technology if Oculus is there? And Witcher3 is definitely GotY for myself, but in there for innovation is a bit dubious especially with games like Splatoon around.

SomTervo

GAME OF THE YEAR 2015
1. The Witcher III
2. Life is Strange
3. Fallout 4
4. GTA V for PC
7. Pillars of Eternity
8. Bloodborne

BEST DEVELOPER
1. CD Projekt Red
2. Obsidian Entertainment
3. Colossal Order
4. FROM Software

I fully agree with everything they included – but Dying Light and Techland are being horribly slighted on these two awards specifically, imo.

I'd reorder:
1. TW3.
2. MGSV TPP.
3. Dying Light.
4. Bloodborne.

I'd drop Pillars of Eternity, just because it's the one I've had least time with.

Also Techland have been an absolutely brilliant developer this year - but I can't disagree with CDPR as #1 and FROM being up there. Don't know Colossal?

The sum of its parts was greater than most of those individual games, imo. But I can see why you had problems with it.

Denton

I hope you realize that what you wrote is a bunch of subjective opinions that have no bearing on what other people's experience was with the game and how they rate it.

So my reaction to your post is basically ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

What stands out form me, personally, regarding the Witcher 3 is the large scale of quality content spreaded over every region of the game. True, it doesn't have the best open world design, exploration or combat out there (they're serviceable, though) but the fact that almost every single side quest is composed of a self-contained, well-written, interesting story is where the game shines and what sets it apart of other (specially open world) RPG's.

I mean, there are some filler quests for sure and the main plot might not be incredible or really epic in scale but along with all the side content it forms a rich mosaic of intertwining situations and characters that truly creates the illusion, to me at least, of interacting with a world which is pulsating and alive, where stuff happens and where people have their own issues. Add to that the darker and more mature narratives (like the Bloody Baron plot, which tackles themes most other mainstream games don't) and I don't find it difficult to see why the game is so loved and why people think it's special, you can see at every step the love the developers have for this IP and the effort they've put to make it really shine .

Of course this is all my opinion and I know it will not mean much to people mainly concerned with gameplay, but there are plenty of other great games in the same genre if you are looking for that. IMO what the Witcher's success really proves is that you can have great balanced package consisting of good narrative and gameplay if you really put effort into it.

Surprised Battlefront didn't top in Best Sound. I love me some Witcher, but I'd still at least place Star Wars on that list.

If only for Dolby Atmos support. jk.

Markoman

I hope you realize that what you wrote is a bunch of subjective opinions that have no bearing on what other people's experience was with the game and how they rate it.

So my reaction to your post is basically ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Wat? Geralt constantly stumbling down stairs like Harpo Marx, with micro-adjustments needed to execute simple actions and Roach being a shitfest in every regard is an opinion? Man, for the sake of this thread I will stop the discussion here. But let me say one thing, I never encountered this kind of stubborness and ignorance even in the most fanatical COD, Souls or Halo threads. This is Citizen Kane behaviour on a whole different level. Why is this thread even existing when everything is subjective...?

kpaadet

GAME OF THE YEAR 2015
1. The Witcher III
2. Life is Strange
3. Fallout 4
4. GTA V for PC
7. Pillars of Eternity
8. Bloodborne
BEST ORIGINAL GAME
1. Life is Strange
2. Pillars of Eternity
3. Until Dawn
4. Bloodborne
I don't understand video game awards.

RobNBanks

Banned

It came out early in the year, so yeah. I doubt Witcher 3 even makes it onto many GOTYs.

MGS most likely snatches it all up since it's the most recent.

I don't understand video game awards.
One list has sequels, the other doesn't.

It's not that hard

Okay I'll bite. The difference between a game like Witcher 3 and let's say MGSV or Fallout 4 is that it excels in many aspects rather than just one or two areas. MGSV has great controls and mechanics, but the game as a whole is lacking due to the horrible open world, terrible traversal, repetitive mission and level design and uninteresting environments. This is without even mentioning the godawful story, F2P mechanic structure, lack of boss fights, unfinished Act 2, boring side content, etc. Game feels soulless to me and lacks the creativity and vision of previous Kojima games. I view it essentially as a power fantasy for the modern Ubisoft gamer with better controls/mechanics and a worse world.

What does Fallout 4 even have going for it? The game doesn't excel in any area apart from exploration and at times atmosphere. The graphics and performance are terrible, the combat is serviceable at best(to put it kindly). Very few of the characters are interesting, the main quest is notably dull, the dialogue system is the worst I've ever experienced, none of your choices matter in 99% of quests, the writing is shit, there are load times for entering every damn building in the game in 2015, tons of game breaking bugs, the soundtrack has a couple of decent tracks, but there was potential for so much more given the time period.

It's also annoying how every quest devolves in to kill/shoot a fuckton of enemies in a poorly designed dungeon. It's an enjoyable theme park(world is very unrealistic given the events that happen in the game and it kills immersion) to a certain extent, but there's no substance in the game and the experience quickly becomes hollow without mods for a game of such size. Even the exploration I've given it praise for is somewhat disappointing due to the way the game hands armor, legendary and heavy weapons, ammo, resources and fusion cores like fucking candy.

The Witcher 3 is masterful in atmosphere, soundtrack, artstyle, writing, characters, quest design, meaningful choices, story, open world(everything is realistically scaled), and voice acting.

It's a game that just feels so easy to get lost in. Sometimes I just like to roam around and admire the scenery or the sunset, which is something that never happens for me in games like MGSV or Fallout 4. I don't think I'm alone in saying that I would rather fast travel or get back to the chopper in Fallout 4/MGSV, while in The Witcher 3 the world is so well done that I never even want to fast travel. At first glance quests that appear simple can turn into something much more elaborate that you didn't expect at all. The game tackles mature themes and shades of grey that modern-day Bioware and Rockstar are either too incompetent to match or simply don't care to.

The combat is probably the most fun I've ever had with the combat of an open world game apart from Dragon's Dogma although I can see why some would disagree, but even then I think most would concede it's vastly better than lauded games like GTAV or Skyrim. It's so rare to find a game that oozes quality in so many areas and that's why CDPR is going to sweep developer of the year.

Denton

Wat? Geralt constantly stumbling down stairs like Harpo Marx, with micro-adjustments needed to execute simple actions and Roach being a shitfest in every regard is an opinion? Man, for the sake of this thread I will stop the discussion here. But let me say one thing, I never encountered this kind of stubborness and ignorance even in the most fanatical COD, Souls or Halo threads. This is Citizen Kane behaviour on a whole different level. Why is this thread even existing when everything is subjective...?

Yes, opinions, because you didn't actually write any arguments or facts. Just a bunch of stuff you think are facts. For example, I didn't have any problems controlling Geralt and certainly wasn't "constantly stumbling down stairs". I didn't have any significant issues controlling Roach either, certainly not to the level of "shitfest in every regard". Only issues I had with Roach was that sometimes he did not jump over obstacle I expected him to. No big deal for me at all.
I like how you think everyone with different opinion than you is stubborn and ignorant - I am sure all those thousands of people who ensured metacritic of 9.1 and steam score of 94 and all the journalists who got it to collective metacritic of 93 are all ignorant too.

Note that I am not denying your experience - if you could not control Geralt or Roach and hated combat, then that's your experience and that's that. But that experience is clearly not universal.

For me Witcher 3 did all the gameplay very competently - I enjoyed the combat, the exploration, the atmosphere and general gameplay loop. However it utterly excelled at giving me varied and interesting things to do, as well as eliciting actual, real emotions in me.
In Witcher 3, I

- hunted for a Giant on a remote island
- participated in a hilarious theater play
- investigated serial murders
- took part in large gwent tournament with surprise at the end
- interacted with adoptive daughter and ensured she got enough confidence to take on large responsibilities
- experienced an authetic, amazingly funny wedding
- took part in deciding who is going to be crowned next king of entire Isle nation
- slayed many epic monsters, usually with interesting narrative around them
- got drunk with my fellow witchers and then crossdressed and drunk dialed religious figure who was taking a shit at that moment
- traveled through different worlds
- participated in a heist

I could go on...Witcher 3 is packed with interesting things to do, more than any other game I have played not just this year, but probably ever in the 20 years I have been playing games. And it is consistently well written, which is also unusual in AAA gaming (sadly).

atr0cious

The amount of disrespect Splatoon is getting is terrible. It's the best shooter in years, and yet four of the most derivative shooters are nominees.

PC focused site.

It is a bit weird how sometimes they allow console games to slip in though, makes everything look a bit inconsistent. Just make it PC only, or judge everything equally imo.

They are judging everything equally. But if they are pc gamers... 95% of what they play is pc games.
For example I wouldn't include Splatoon in any list... I can't, because I haven't played it.

PC focused site.

Maybe they are judging everything equally, and it's every other site that's focusing on consoles to the exclusion of great PC games?

Maybe it's just me since I'm more of a PC guy who dabbles in console games, but this lines up a bit more with my tastes.

Majestad

Banned
Id give Soma best story.

Witcher 3 best openworld...? Game is fun but the open world is soooo bad. Most of the things you go out to explore and find are treasures, captured prisoners, bandit camps, monster nests and they repeat over and over. Fallout 4 is probably a worse game but does open world much better.

Lmao. Witcher 3 is the standard for open world games.

SomTervo

The most important thing about TW3 for me is that the side content is so good that every hundred yards of the game world is imbued with meaning and life. Fallout/Skyrim have imbued every hundred yards with text and okay graphics, but in The Witcher, just walking around feels like you're going to walk into the lore, people's lives, monsters being monsters - it feels like a universe. Also the wind blowing in trees, the fantastic lighting system, the variable weather which affects NPCs - makes the place feel real.

Even though some of the details are flawed - messy combat, messy traversal, etc - the feeling of being in a place is unparalleled.

thuGG_pl

I dislike how a game sweeps GOTY awards just because it has a large scale open world. Never mind that the actual moment-to-moment gameplay was decisively mediocre in terms of The Witcher III.

Scale over substance. What a boring trudge of a game.

Yeah, because you are the authority here and knows better what people like or dislike.
W3 had great gameplay for my, argue with that.

idlewild_

So Until Dawn is a better "original" game than Bloodborne but Bloodborne is the better game overall? How does that work?

They're community voted, not made by some committee. The other options available in the overall category took away more from UD than they did for BB.

tuxfool

Banned
Cool that you like to do the same shitty thing over and over again! Good luck with Monster Nest number 257.

There aren't that many monster nests and you can just ignore them. There is enough meat in the rest of the game that such tasks are superfluous, they're there for those that like doing that kind of stuff, or if you're wise happen upon one or two because you turned off the map markers.

Certinty

The Witcher 3 was a good game and although I think Life Is Strange is better I won't complain about it winning best game, but best story? Seriously? Life Is Strange's story is way better.

Also Need for Speed the best racing game? What an utter joke. Most of the other winners are good and well deserved though.

Top Bottom