• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Eater: Resurrection |OT| "You have three orders..."

RedFury

They tried to spruce it up in this version of the game but it is straight inferior to GE2:RB.

The biggest problems are
-Blood artes gone, as a result a huge part of gameplay is gone. Some of the blood artes change character movement drastically. The predator system they put in pales in comparison.
-Less characters and shorter story.
-Fewer maps this is a huge problem as hunting games are already repetitive but this compounds the issue.

The only god eater game I haven't platinumed, just couldn't keep playing after finishing the story. Went back to RB.
When you say RB you mean GERB2 or base RB?

Wonko_C

Is this going to be available standalone for PS4 like the Vita version? or is it exclusive to those who preorder 2RB? I can't afford the $60 preorder right now but I could spend $20 on the first one even if I have to buy the 2nd one for $60 later.

Is this going to be available standalone for PS4 like the Vita version? or is it exclusive to those who preorder 2RB? I can't afford the $60 preorder right now but I could spend $20 on the first one even if I have to buy the 2nd one for $60 later.
.I believe so. If it isn't standalone, then I will assume yes, it's exclusive

St0rm

Neo Member
When you say RB you mean GERB2 or base RB?

There is no such thing as base RB. RB is the subtitle of GE2 (God Eater 2: Rage Burst).

You can buy GER separate today and RB at a later time.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I'll try my best to tackle these two questions based on the original God Eater Burst.

Now, I would say that God Eater is in many ways a more entry level Hunting Action game than Monster Hunter. Compared to Monster Hunter, it is much more transparent about a lot of game mechanics, and it gives you a lot more powerful AI back-up. For example, where in Monster Hunter you need to pay attention to visual cues to tell when a monster enrages, God Eater just explicitly tells you that the monster is enraged via UI pop-up text. The game is much more obvious about how much damage you are doing as well. I actually learned a lot of the basics of how the genre works from God Eater, and I was able to transfer that knowledge into Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, which was my first MH game.

A key difference though is in the actual fighting. All God Eater players bring a melee weapon, a ranged weapon, and a shield into battle. At any moment, you can press a button to instantly swap between your weapon's gun mode and melee mode. Melee attacks absorb energy from enemies, while the gun mode uses up that energy to shoot special bullets. The melee weapons come a variety of forms, ranging from small fast blades to heavy blades with a powerful charge attack. The original God Eater only had three types of swords, but God Eater 2 Rage Burst should add several new varieties. All characters also can both use a quick step dash rather than the MH slow roll as well as jump at will (and use air combos). So mobility is a lot higher as a baseline compared to Monster Hunter. Everyone also can access a shield block, though there is a difference in performance between small fast-to-deploy shields and heavy, slow tower shields. Furthermore, death is a lot more forgiving than Monster Hunter; you have grace period after losing all of your health in which an ally has a chance to revive you, preventing the reward deduction.

On the other hand, God Eater doesn't use the segmented maps of Monster Hunter. Instead, the map is one seemless area. And those maps tend to have more monsters in them at once than Monster Hunter. It isn't unusual to have to fight two or three monsters at once in God Eater (plus large numbers of aggressive small monsters), and dealing with that requires different tactics than in Monster Hunter, since you don't have the option of retreating over a zone line or returning to a safe zone. Dealing with multiple monsters mandates using flash grenades to stun them and splitting up your team to have some members hold off one monster while the others take down the other.

Now, one of the biggest selling points of God Eater's single player is that it has the best AI allies in any game I have ever played. They are incredibly capable, exude personality, and yet don't overshadow the player. What they are best at is surviving and supporting the player's actions. You can leave an AI ally to solo a large monster, and they will be able to hold their own pretty well. However, the AI allies are not particularly good at actually killing large monsters, so it is up to the player to do the most important part of the fighting. Managing your team mid-battle is a lot of fun, and you can pull off some cool strategies when trying to fight multiple monsters at once.

The other really cool feature of God Eater is bullet customization. The games have a system where you can program your bullets to behave in some complex patterns. For example, you can shoot a big slow-moving bullet that shoots other, faster bullets. You can shoot a bullet that doesn't do any damage on its own, but will instead cling to the target it hits and shoot out a healing flamethrower effect. You can create bullets that fire upwards at a 45 degree angle before transforming into homing lasers. There are an almost endless number of possibilities.

Thanks.

this sounds pretty good - i'm just a little worried because the last PC hunting game that came out (Toukiden) was pretty bad, especially regarding AI.

How's the Vita version of Resurrection? I like the idea of playing hunting games portably, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice playability (or much in the way of framerate) for that. Especially since the PS4 won't eat up my memory card.

ChrisDM

No standalone on ps4?

Doesn't look like it.

PS4 GE2 Pre-order with GE:R free: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...urst/cid=UP0700-CUSA03305_00-PS4GE2RAGEBURST0

Vita GE:R: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...tion/cid=UP0700-PCSE00801_00-DOWNLOADABLEGAME

^^ Maybe it's cross-buy? Can't remember off top if it is or not for people who don't want to preorder.

EDIT: For anyone who is buying on Vita and also owns a PS4, would you be able to check and see if GE:R is cross-buy? Pretty sure it isn't. :(

blackflag

So it's 19.99 on vita and 60 on PS4 but you can get it for free later if you preorder GE2?

If that is the case I'll get Vita version now and preorder 2 for the PS4.

UCBooties

They tried to spruce it up in this version of the game but it is straight inferior to GE2:RB.

The biggest problems are
-Blood artes gone, as a result a huge part of gameplay is gone. Some of the blood artes change character movement drastically. The predator system they put in pales in comparison.
-Less characters and shorter story.
-Fewer maps this is a huge problem as hunting games are already repetitive but this compounds the issue.

The only god eater game I haven't platinumed, just couldn't keep playing after finishing the story. Went back to RB.

This post is confusing to me. Why are you taking the game to task for not having features that weren't introduced until the sequel? It's not like they removed stuff from God Eater Burst to make Ressurection. Are you disapointed they didn't add more features from 2? Wouldn't that fundamentally alter the balance and play of the game?

Put my order in for the Vita version. Now to just finish this shift and get home to play... this and ZTD are gonna keep me busy for a good while.

Happy hunting everyone! Make sure to add yourselves to the friends list on the OP (quote and scroll to the bottom to find the firm's link).

bender

What time is it?
I'm pretty new to the hunting genre and have only put significant time into Monster Hunter 4 and Toukiden Kiwami. I loved the former but didn't really care for the later. I'd love to try this but with Monster Hunter Generations around the corner, I'm not sure I'll have the time.

jtan

Do Amazon pre-orders get resurrection codes sent today or do we have to wait for the game to be delivered? ):

Tevren

BandaiNamcoUS Twitter is reporting the link for the stand alone PS4 isn't up yet. So here's hoping it shows up soon.

nukedeggs

So lemme clarify - if I preorder digital from PSN, I'll get Resurrection today?

Man I'm really split on whether to get this on Vita or PS4. I don't have PS TV so I can't stream from my Vita or anything. I haven't played God Eater before, but the PSP game caught my eye when it came out so it's cool they're making a remaster.

pooptest

So lemme clarify - if I preorder digital from PSN, I'll get Resurrection today?

Man I'm really split on whether to get this on Vita or PS4. I don't have PS TV so I can't stream from my Vita or anything. I haven't played God Eater before, but the PSP game caught my eye when it came out so it's cool they're making a remaster.

Get for PS4 and you can always Remote Play.

Zackat

Gonna have to cop this and play it. Been a while since I played a hunting game, Freedom Wars was the last one I played.

-Digits-

Preordered GE 2 for PS4, but I didn't receive GE Resurrection during check-out. Should I contact sony customer service?

I could download GE 2 after checkout and that started the GEB download on my PS4. This was through the site. It may also be in your library, haven't looked yet.

RedFury

This post is confusing to me. Why are you taking the game to task for not having features that weren't introduced until the sequel? It's not like they removed stuff from God Eater Burst to make Ressurection. Are you disapointed they didn't add more features from 2? Wouldn't that fundamentally alter the balance and play of the game?
Yeah same question. Confused me and thought he was comparing it to GEB (which I called GERB by mistake) then he corrected me stating RB=GERB2 which only confused me more... I guess what I'm asking is did GEB have blood arts and this "remake/remaster" not have them?

Ephidel

Yeah same question. Confused me and thought he was comparing it to GEB (which I called GERB by mistake) then he corrected me stating RB=GERB2 which only confused me more... I guess what I'm asking is did GEB have blood arts and this "remake/remaster" not have them?
God Eater (the original) and its update God Eater Burst (released in the EU/US as Gods Eater Burst) do not have blood arts.

God Eater 2 (GE2) added blood arts. God Eater 2 Rage Burst (GE2RB) was an updated version of GE2, and also has blood arts.

God Eater Resurrection is a remake of God Eater Burst. In Japan it was released after GE2 and GE2RB which is why some people feel the blood arts were removed. But they weren't, because the game it's a remake of never had them.

Flunkie

Banned
Put my order in for the Vita version. Now to just finish this shift and get home to play... this and ZTD are gonna keep me busy for a good while.

Happy hunting everyone! Make sure to add yourselves to the friends list on the OP (quote and scroll to the bottom to find the firm's link).
Play tonight?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Resurrection has adopted some of the gameplay changes or Rage Burst but removed Blood Artes for story season plain and simple.

Ephidel

What? I never said anything about playtimes :x

Edit: Wait, I realised you were probably replying to Kayos90 rather than Flunkie.
He would count them as removed because GE2/GE2RB had them. I would disagree because GER is a remake of a game that never had them, so I don't personally count them as being "removed" because I feel they weren't there to remove in the first place. We're disagreeing on technicalities, really.

Top Bottom